Major Embarrassment

Fires, Photography, and Yosemite National Park

“Oh.” Chanyeol says as he steps into the room with Sehun and Jongin.

The experienced trio make quick work of the scene, the smoke smelling stronger than in the hallway, but nowhere near deadly.

“Erm. Hi.” Luhan says, making no attempt to get up because:

1.       He’s pretty sure he’s not even physically capable due to the unbelievable amount of embarrassment he’s enduring, and

2.       He’d rather not stand and risk letting more water drip from his sopping wet clothes and onto the equipment he’s painstakingly protected.

It’s only when the firemen turn towards Luhan that his eyes widen, because god damn, it’s the same team from yesterday, he realizes not so belatedly.

His face flames even further because Oh Sehun, the man he had on his computer and camera, that he was practically ogling at earlier, was here, less than 15 feet away from him.

-            -      -      -

Sehun’s gaze flicks from the mess in the microwave (he can’t even tell what it is) to the sound of a voice, his facial expression betraying little emotion.

The boy…or adult?

He can’t really tell because the male is on the ground and his wet clothes are sticking to his awflly small frame, and the only message his face is shouting is “embarrassment,” and “young.”

Jongin and Chanyeol exchange glances from their places behind Sehun. Neither are completely sure what to do because this was definitely not in their training, nor have they encountered a situation such as thus.

Luckily, they have Sehun.

-            -      -      -

Luhan doesn’t get a reply from his greeting, though he didn’t expect something anyways.

In fact, he’s sort of relieved they aren’t talking to him because the chances of a conversation further increasing his embarrassment is high.

He’s practically staring at Sehun now, so he jerks when the man looks at him, and then the room, obviously analyzing the situation.

Luhan sees him whisper to the tall one next to him, and Luhan winces as his popcorn—or what’s left of his popcorn—is taken out of the microwave and dumped into the trashcan that used to be in the bathroom.

He’s too busy drowning in further misery from his spot on the floor to realize Sehun is now standing in front of him, hand outstretched. Luhan’s sure he couldn’t get any redder, and he tries to take the hand that’s offered to him before he realizes he’s practically immobile, from the shock of seeing Sehun up so close or the faint chill of the cold that’s starting to settle in his bones, he doesn’t know.

Luhan hears a sigh and it takes him a moment, but he knows he’s no longer on the floor and he’s not as cold anymore, and—oh. Oh.

Because he’s wrapped up in a white bath robe in Sehun’s arms and Luhan just knows his face is flaming. He feels the firefighter start walking towards the door, being carried the whole way, and Luhan finally seems to find his voice.

“My babi—I mean, my laptop and camera…”

Luhan’s voice is so quiet, he’s not even sure if he actually said anything or if he’s imagined it, but Sehun’s smooth reply knocks all the anxiety and worry out of him, replacing it with butterflies in his stomach.

“Don’t worry, Jongin has your electronics and Chanyeol’s grabbing your suitcase. I’m bringing you out first.”

Sehun’s words are true and he doesn’t even need to glance at his friends to know that they’re doing what he’s said.

Luhan looks over Sehun’s shoulder to see the tall one, who he assumes to be Chanyeol, with his bag in hand, and the other, who must be Jongin, with his laptop in his grip and camera in the bag slung across his neck.

As Luhan looks away and back up at Sehun, he briefly flails, losing his balance before his arms wrap around the firefighter’s neck and the grip on his body tightens in case he falls (though, Sehun wouldn’t have dropped him).

A meek, “Thank you…” leaves Luhan’s lips as they exit the hotel’s front doors on the first floor, and the response he gets in return is a soft hum before he’s set back down onto the concrete.  He almost fiddles awkwardly with the hem of his soaked t-shirt from beneath the bathrobe still wrapped around his shoulders, and he can’t help but watch with awe as Sehun and his friends easily control their teams.

Sehun, Jongin, and Chanyeol send the all clear to each of their crews, respectively, and the firefighters start to pack up and load up onto the trucks.

Luhan winces seeing the hotel manager and contemplates his chances of success if he were to run away, but one gesture from Sehun, who’s already walked over to the manager, is all it takes for Luhan to oblige and shuffle over, shoulders slumped.

“We found him in the room number you gave us. The hotel is currently all clear and undamaged. Only room 207 has retained water damage as a result of the emergency overhead sprinklers.” Sehun concludes his procedural report to the hotel manager with a nod, who looks insanely relieved.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” is all Sehun hears before nodding once more, turning away to give the two some privacy.

‘Uh oh.’ Is what Luhan thinks to himself, already bracing himself for the barrage of yells and insults he’s about to receive, and oh god, he really hopes he doesn’t cry, because he really doesn’t do so well with yelling—he’s always been the kind that needed more encouragement because his self-esteem was already low enough without anyone else’s opinions and he chews his bottom lip in anticipation, already half wincing.