Footprints

Gloomy days

At this moment, Suho sat next to Kai, who was trying to calm Kyungsoo.

 

All of them kept looking to each other without saying any word. The dusk light lighted up their faces with an orange color, the night was imminent. Chanyeol, who was looking restless at the waves that blurred the color of the sea, sighed.

 

- I won’t return without Baekhyun.- said Chanyeol while standing up

 

- Chanyeol, it’s almost night. We can’t search through the dark jungle...we can’t lose more people.- said Kai who was grabbing Kyungsoo

 

- Obviously we can’t.- replied Chanyeol - It seems that we will have to spend the night in the island.

 

The other boys agreed. It would be only for one night...right?

 

They decided to have “dinner” at the beach, the weather was good so they made a campfire. Sehun brought some snacks from the sailboat, Chanyeol fished some little fishes in the bay and Luhan picked some tropical fruits from the trees that were lighted up by the moonlight.

 

They sat together on the sand and started eating without saying anything. Everybody looked worried and restless. Chen sighed.

 

- There are two people and the one of the middle falls.

 

All of them looked at Chen and started laughing at this really bad joke that Chen suddenly let out. It was only a silly joke, but it broke the tense aura.

 

- Hey! I think Sehun and I brought some playing cards, wanna play poker?- said Luhan smiling

 

The tense aura became a happy aura, all of them forgot for some hours why were they there, they were having fun and laughing like kids. Suho thanked this serenity at this moment, he loved to see their friends like a family.

 

- We are a group after all, right? - said Lay, who was sitting next to Suho

 

It seemed that Lay read Suho’s mind. Suho blushed and nodded.

 

Some hours passed and the guys were all tired, so little by little they went to sleep at the sailboat. Around the campfire only stayed Lay and Suho, looking at the fire. Lay was humming a song, he didn’t look away from the fire.

 

- Lay…I’m sorry.

 

- About…? - said Lay keeping his look to the campfire

 

- You all came here for me, if we hadn’t have come here...Baekhyun…

 

- It’s not your fault.- interrupted Lay

 

Lay looked at Suho. Suho’s eyes were brilliant, they had a soft shape. They were looking at Lay’s eyes, who had a strong and a determined look but, at the same time, they were tender.

 

- Guys, come to the sailboat and go to sleep, we must wake up early tomorrow! - shouted Kai

 

Lay and Suho went to the sailboat and picked some cushions to use them as a mattress. Suho placed his “mattress” next to Chen’s and closed his eyes. The waves’ sound was calming, Suho always loved the sea, its scent and its color was always the appropriate one for him.

 

When Suho opened his eyes, it was already morning. He went to the deck, where Kyungsoo, Kai, Luhan and Sehun were having breakfast.

 

- Good morning, sleeping beauty.- said Kai smiling

 

-  How do you feel, Suho? Are you better?- asked Luhan while offering him a toast

 

- Yeah, I think so.- replied Suho - Where’s Chanyeol?

 

At this moment, Chanyeol and Kris climbed the sailboat’s stairs.

 

- So…? - said Sehun

 

- Nothing, it seems that we’ll have to look for him in the jungle. - replied Kris

 

- I’ll go to wake up the rest, we’ll leave the island as soon as we find Baekhyun.- said Chanyeol.

 

While Lay and Chen had woken up easily, Tao and Xiumin were much more difficult to wake up. When all of them were ready they went to the beach but Tao wasn’t there. Kris went to pick up Tao who was sitting on the driver’s seat.

 

- Tao, we must go to look for Baekhyun. Let’s go.-said Kris

 

- Why isn’t the sailboat key here? - asked Tao pointing at the ignition

 

- Chanyeol may keep it. Let’s go, we’ll go home soon.- said Kris with a smile

 

Tao smiled.

 

When everybody was at the beach, Chanyeol and Kris gave the instructions to move through the jungle. They were all basic ones: “Do not eat unknown berries.”; “Do not make much noise” (in case of a appearance of a dangerous animal)...and the most important one: “Do not separate from the group.

 

When they entered to the jungle, the hours passed like seconds and they were feeling that they were lost there. They couldn’t see any exit that would bring them to the beach or somewhere, they only could see jungle. The guys kept shouting Baekhyun’s name, but there was not any answer. They were moving quietly and slowly, which made Tao more and more nervous and restless. At a moment of desperation, Tao ran away through the jungle. Kris called him, but he hadn’t any answer.

 

- Oh God, Tao…- whispered Xiumin

 

- I’ll go for him. Stay here, guys. -said Kris

 

No one had time to stop Kris, he ran to the same direction as Tao.

 

Near where they were, there was a lake and a waterfall, it was such a beautiful place. They went there and placed their backpacks on the floor.

 

- Great, now we have to look for Baekhyun and the pair. - complained Kai

 

- I know that we said that we wouldn’t separate from the group, but if we divide in two groups, we can search them easily. - said Lay - If I’m not mistaken, Tao ran back to the beach, so one group can go to this direction and the other group can go straight on to look for Baekhyun.

 

The rest of the boys agreed, it was a good plan. They designated the lake as the “meeting point” and said that they would return there in two hours. They also made the two groups: The group A which was designated to look for Tao and Kris included Lay, Xiumin, Sehun and Luhan; The group B which was made in order to search Baekhyun included Chanyeol, Suho, Chen, Kai and Kyungsoo.

 

Group B

 

The five boys kept going straight on, it part it looked like they were following Chanyeol, who looked more serious than ever. Suddenly, Kyungsoo stopped walking.

 

- Are you okay? - asked Kai

 

- We won’t leave this island, right? - whispered Kyungsoo, that couldn’t avoid the fall of a tear on his cheek

 

- Of course, we’ll return home, don’t say this. You know that Baekhyun is kinda joker, it may be a revenge of a Chanyeol’s joke. - said Kai

 

Kyungsoo had a worried look, he could never have imagined that situation. Kai grabbed his hands.

 

- We’ll find Baekhyun and Tao and we’ll return home soon, I promise you.

 

Kyungsoo nodded.

 

Group A

 

The four boys kept calling Kris and Tao, but they didn’t get any answer.

 

- Ah, Tao, seriously…-sighed Luhan

 

- It’s weird that Kris doesn’t answer, he has a really good hearing. - affirmed Sehun

 

Suddenly, Xiumin stumbled and fell on the floor. His leg had a little injury.

 

- We have been walking for a long time. Let’s have a little rest and then I can heal his injury. - suggested Lay

 

They sat under a big tree. It was a vines zone, there were lots of berries that coloured the jungle. Sehun and Luhan started playing with the vines, it was the first time that they saw some real ones. Sehun was running behind Luhan, when the blond guy suddenly stopped. Luhan was rigid and his breathing stopped.

 

- Oh my God.- whispered