Chapter 3

There's A Light That Never Goes Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Niel's POV

I feel the sunlight gently awaken my eyes. Yesterday seems like a dream that ended quite vaguely. But then I look to my right, and here he is, the pink haired hyung that still sleeping like a baby on my shoulder. And we're still on the red car we've been driving through the whole night. I look up and there are the mighty highway 31 flyovers. I listen to the cars noises above and close my eyes once again. So this is real... Will this journey end up nicely? I thought... will this hyung take me to the new beginning...   "Uhhhm", L.Joe-hyung mumbled as he tried to open his eyes. "Yo hyung, good morning", I said. "Is it morning already?", asked him. "Yeah... wake up wake up", I shake him.   He repositions himself and investigate me. He yawns and get out from the car. He sits on the car's hood, stretching his body. I watch his silhouette, he just looked like a helpless kid, isn't he.   "Hyung... let's find something to eat", I said as I walked towards him. "You have some money?", asked him. I reluctantly picked my allowance from my pocket. "Here's 10 dollars. Let's buy ramens", I said. "Ahh.. I'm lazy... you go and buy for us", he narrowed his eyes, seems like sunlight still overwhelm his eyes.   The way he ordered me is so annoying really, but I guess he's just tired from driving. "Alright", I walked down the street to the minimarket, buy two ramens and some beers. "15 dollars, please", said the cashier. "There you go", I gave her 20. I look at the posters they put on the wall behind the cashier. It says "MOST WANTED". And there's a photograph of a guy about my age below it, his name is Changjo. "Have you seen him? you can get a lot of money from the police department", said the cashier. "No... what did he do?", I asked. "Didn't you watch the tv? it's all over the news... he robbed banks for these couple weeks. After the police in Area No.2 failed on catching him, they said he ran away to this city", said the cashier. "Ah... really", I said. "Yes, this is your change... thank you, have a good day", she said. I received the change and bow. "Have a good day too... ah, can I have this?", I took the most wanted poster from the cashier table. "Yeah sure", she said.   L.Joe-hyung is still there, he moved the car a bit so he won't exposed to the sunlight. He's such a preen.   "Hyung, look at this", I gave him the most wanted poster. "Huh?", he reads it carefully. "See? if we caught this guy, the police will present us a lot of money!", I said. "You want to hunt a high profile criminal? are you nuts? you think he didn't have connection around this city? I don't want to risk my life over sums of money", he said. "Uh, but this is the ticket for our new lives", I said. "Niel-ah... why are you so simple-minded", he chuckles.   I looked to him confusedly. I said something serious, the amount of money is no joke, I can come up with a plan. Why don't he listen to me more... and say I'm simple-minded instead.   "Hey...", L.Joe-hyung is looking at my face closely. "We need money hyung", I still try to persuade him. "We'll find it along the way", he said with his carefree attitude. I just frown and eat my ramen. "Don't be like that... we can't risk our lives catching some bank robber... and do you still believe the police in this country?. They're as worse as special agents you know... there's almost no good cop, only the bent ones. Trust me on this, ok?", said him. I look into his eyes. Is he actually worry about us?. "Ok", I smiled. "Finish your meal, we're gonna drive again", said L.Joe-hyung while drinking his beer. "Why do we have beer in the morning?", asked him. "No one tell you to drink it right now", I said. "You're still a minor aren't you! you can't drink this!", he messed my hair again. "Stop it aahhh I hate it", I put some defense. But he keeps trying to slap my head. He enjoyed himself. "Hyung ahhh", I yelled and put a threat fist. "Hahaha... What?!", he slapped my head finally. Damn, I'm off guard. "Ahh! annoying really", I look to the other side. "You don't have the courage to strike back, do you?", he said. "I don't wanna hurt you", I said mischievously. "Hahaha... that face", he's laughing.   I took a glance, he's still looking at me, laughing. What's wrong with this hyung. My real brother never do that. We had a beautiful and peaceful life as family. But, that was years ago... L.Joe-hyung starts the engine and we're on the road again.   "You still haven't told me about yourself. Is L.Joe even your real name... ah, it cannot be", I said. "Are you that curious?", he asked. "Yeah, I mean I already told you about myself", I said. "I never asked you to", he said. "That's right, but, we're on a journey together now, don't you think it's important to know each other?", I said. "There are things that better left unknown", he said. I scoff. "Don't act so mysterious", I said. "I like you so I won't tell you anything", he said. "What does it mean? Because you like me you should've believe me", I said. "I don't want to put our relationship in danger. Aren't we beautiful just like this? You speak, I listen... I'm not good in expressing myself anyway", he said. "I acknowledge that", I chuckled.   "Do you sleep alright last night?", he changed the topic abruptly. "No. You kept talking in your sleep", I said. "Really? What was I talking about?", he asked, looked quite worried. "You said...", I try to contain my laughter. "What?! did I say funny things?", he said impatiently. "You said 'don't leave me' and 'promise me' over and over", I said. "Really? Ah, am I that lonely...", he said while gazing emptily at the road. "Yeah, hyung... that's because you never tell anyone about yourself", I said. I keep looking at him, waiting for a reaction but he stays silent. "Don't you remember you said I don't need the past because you're here? you're my present", he said. "Ah... I said that?", I wonder... did I say that... is this hyung making it up?. But I remember his small hand that held me tight last night, then he leant his head on me, all night. What happened in his past that he tried so hard to keep?. Isn't it hard keeping it to yourself?. I just want to help him. When he kept mumbling 'don't leave me alone' I can't help to feel like protecting him. Isn't it the past that I should protect him from?. I'm such an idiot.   "Hyung!. If you don't want to tell me about yourself, I'm cool with that", I said. "So suddenly?", he chuckled. "Yeah.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter