Childhood Wife

Childhood Wife

Childhood Wife

 

“You jerk!” She slapped my right cheek; the third girl of the day who hit my face.

I smirked and turned my back to her. For how many times will I receive the same punishment girls always give to guys who ditch them with no apparent reasons?

 

My younger brother, Himchan, is standing beside the post of light as I walked home.

“What you doing little brother?” I asked coolly hanging my arm on his shoulder.

“Someone came up and I don’t know how I’ll get rid of it.”

“Someone?” I repeated. “Is it a guy or a girl?”

He looked at me with exhausted eyes. “A girl who kept on confessing to me even if I tried to reject her for so many times already, she’s annoying to tell you the truth.” He sighed and slouched.

“I, as your older brother will be ready to help you.” I smiled and stood straight.

“Are you sure?”

I nodded. “Trust the expert. Arasseo?”

 

Morning came and our plan started. I used Himchan’s number to send her a sms saying that we’ll meet in the given place. Of course, I’m a good man so I’ll let her wait for an hour so that she’ll have a bad impression to my brother.

Our meeting time is supposed to be at 9 in the morning but I woke up at 9. I took a bath, ate my breakfast, played video games, and watched my favorite comedy shows. My phone alarmed at exactly 11. I got off the couch and walked to our meeting place which is somewhere in front of that restaurant. I frowned and removed my sunglasses. “Is that her?”

She’s wearing a short white skirt, a cute pink blouse, and a pair of black stilettos. “My brother’s too naïve to see beautiful women.” I grinned and walked towards her but only stop when I noticed a guy took her hand and they crossed the street.

“What?” I spoke stunned with what I saw. “Then who is that guy pertaining to?”

“Yah! Himchan!” Someone from my back shouted and without warning strongly hit my head with that bag she’s holding. “Pabo” She spoke while I rubbed my forehead. I straightened my body and saw an old looking lady. She’s too old-fashioned as she wore those chucks, fit black pants and white huge shirt, suddenly giving me the image of a girl who’s working in a mechanical shop.

“Eh?” She spoke surprise upon seeing who she hit. “Who are you?”

“Isn’t it too inappropriate not to apologize for the mistake you did?” I said still rubbing the painful part.

“Why would I? For sure you were part of the frank Himchan did. Am I right?” She said putting her hair together and tying it up.

Now I realized why my brother’s suffering at school. “I’m here as a substitute for my little brother.”

“Substitute?” She reacted as if she’s not contented with the handsome man being stared at by so many girls. “Are you joking?” She got her phone from her pocket. “Here I thought that he’ll come. I gotta go-

I quickly grabbed her wrist. “You’re nowhere to go because we’ll spend the whole day together.”

“Are you nuts?” She tried to wiggle free from my hand.

“Yes I am” I nonchalantly answered as I get used to the same questions.

She stopped and looked at me with disgust. “Arasseo, you and your brother is such a pain in the .” She murmured as we started to walk together.

“I’m hungry” I said touching my stomach. “Won’t you even treat me lunch?”

“Why on earth will I do that to a stranger?”

“I’m not a stranger. If I were you, you’ll give everything I need so that I may have the change of heart and help you reach my brother. Am I right?”

She stopped from walking for a moment before grabbing my arm. “Are you serious?”

“Ne”

“Then that’s a deal Mr-

“Just call me Luhan”

“Luhan” She continued and pulled me to the nearest restaurant.

The type of restaurant I’m actually thinking is like the expensive restaurant I and my family used to eat; but this is entirely the opposite of what I’m thinking. It’s located near the sidewalk. It’s a small tent, tables and chairs are situated inside, and ahjumma is cooking and serving the customers.

“Over here Luhan” She even raised her hand to call me making me feel embarrassed.

I pulled a chair across her and noticed that the table is too small for the two of us. “How are we going to eat here?”

“What a poor, rich kid who knows nothing about normal human’s life.” She mocked and yelled. “Ahjumma two orders of deokbeokki please”

“You ordered what?”

“Omo” She covered trying to stifle her laugh. “You’re not human are you?”

Our orders came and it looked like, like something that even maids in the house won’t eat. I felt disgusted with the food and even tried to make an excuse by going to the bathroom but she caught my wrist.

“You’re nowhere to go remember?” She teased me with the same word I told her earlier. I sat back on the chair and hold the stick of unknown white balls coated with a sauce that would enter my mouth. I swallowed hard.

“Don’t worry there’s nothing to worry about.” She assured me though that face of hers made me feel that she’s not trustworthy.

“What about it’ll be my treat? Let’s go to the restaurant I-

“I want here. Don’t be such a spoiled brat and eat that now.”

I am left without any possible choice so I closed my eyes and ate it. As soon as my teeth started grinding, it felt like puffballs because of its fluffiness.

“So how’s it?” She excitedly waited for my response.

Does everyone know how it happened in movies, when the taster opened his eyes in slow motion? I’m not sure whether I did the same thing but I can honestly tell how delicious the food is.

 

My stomach became full when we left that ‘restaurant’ she called. “So Mr. Rich guy where is our next destination?” She asked trying to fold that excess cloth on her shoulders since the shirt she’s wearing is too huge for her.

I thought that since she brought me to a place I’ve never been before, why not let her experience the life I also have?

“Follow me”

I took the lead and entered my shop at Dongdaemun.

“Welcome sir” one of Umma’s newly hired sales lady greeted as soon as I entered. She stood outside the shop stupidly. I sighed. “What is she doing?”

I pulled her inside. “Choose whatever you like, I’ll just go pick something on that side.” I left her and went to pick fashionable footwear for her. “Sir may I ask your preference?” The sales lady asked generously. “Here are our new arrival stilettos if you’re trying to choose for your girlfriend sir.”

“Stilettos” I rubbed my chin and imagined whether she’ll look pretty similar to that lady I saw this morning. “Alright I’ll pick that one”

I returned and heard two of the sales lady conversing to her trying to push her out of the shop. “Why will a poor girl like you be entering our shop?”

“I’m not here to buy your clothes. I’m only here to accompany my friend.”

The two girls laughed and even looked at each other, maybe as a signal before pushing her. Good thing I’m on time to catch her arm.

“You two” I spoke in a serious tone totally forgetting my real plan on going to this shop I own. “Call your manager”

“Is there any problem sir?”

“Just call her!” I shouted turning the other customers’ head at me.

And of course Ms. Choi will come. She’s my loyal manager who worked for more than 10 years in the family.

She immediately bowed upon seeing me. Those two naughty girls are behind her, scared to death of what’s happening.

“President is there any problem?”Ms. Choi asked.

I smirked. “I thought your hiring perfect workers?” I shifted my eyes to those girls then back to her. “Fire those two for the filthy attitudes they just showed to my girlfriend.”

“Wait Luhan” She moved away from me. “I’m fine and you don’t have to fire those girls.”

“But why?”

“It’s because I’m a working student too and I know how it feels being fired by their boss.” She smiled and bowed. “I’m sorry for the disturbance.” She raised her head and left the shop.

 

She ended sitting on the bench alone so I thought of buying an ice cream as my peace offering.

“Thanks”

I sat beside her and watched how these busy people walked going to their destinations. “I’m sorry about what happened earlier.”

“I’m fine”

I noticed how she acted differently from her previous jolliness after what happened in the shop. “So what do you like about my brother?”

She stopped from the ice cream and looked at the ground. “I like everything about him.” She paused and munched the sweet sundae cone. “I mean from the very first day we met until today.”

“You knew my brother since when?” I asked curiously.

“Since we met during kindergarten and for sure you knew that your little brother isn’t speaking before. But after days of playing with him, I finally heard him speak and do you have any guess of what word came out from him?”

I shook my head.

“Of course he said his name ‘Himchan’.” She chuckled. “It sounded weird but after that day he spoke, he never stopped on singing different Chinese songs.” She stood up and looked at her wrist watch. “I need to go because it’s getting late.”

“One last question before you go,” I said still sitting on the bench. “May I ask the reason why you’re having a part time job?”

The wind blew bringing her long black hair. “It’s a secret between me and Himchan only.” She turned her back and rode the bus.

 

I stood up and massaged my head.

“One question Himchan”

“What is it hyung?”

“This girl you’re talking about, why does she keep on confessing to you even if you have repeatedly rejected her?”

“She said that I was the one who told her not to give up on reminding me until I finally remember it.”

“Remember what?”

He shrugged. “She’s weird and she’s acting like we’ve known each other since we’re kids.”

 

The house is as usual, quiet. Appa and umma aren’t home yet. I went to the kitchen and grabbed something cold for myself.

“Hyung” Himchan appeared. “What happened to your date?”

“How much do you know about that girl?”

“Well, we’re classmates since elementary.” He answered trying to check his memories right.

I grabbed his shoulder. “That girl is sincere with her feelings for you. Please try to see her yourself and don’t you ever hurt her or else I’ll be the one to hit you. Arasseo?”

My wide bed caught my worn-out body. I closed my eyes and felt drowning to my dreams.

“Himchan” I spoke

“So your name’s Himchan, my name’s Park Shilye” She said helping me stand. “From now on I will be your wife who’s going to accompany you wherever you go.”

“But my name’s not Himchan, my real name’s-

“Himchan we’ll play outside with grandpa!” She pulled me excitedly out of the house. “Then you sing another song of your favorite Chinese songs for us.”

We never stopped on playing. Wife she’s talking about, I absolutely have no idea about it. But I enjoyed every time we’re together until Appa came to fetch me.

“What about her?” I asked appa.

“She’ll remain with her grandpa. We need to go son.”

“But-

“Remember this Luhan,” Appa pulled me inside the car. “She’s not going to be your friend anymore because she doesn’t suit our family. She’s poor and you must always remember that you’re rich. You can ditch every girl who tries to make a move on you because they’re not a perfect match for you.”

I saw Shilye crying from afar. Without hesitation, I run towards her and whispered to her ear. “Please don’t stop on reminding me of our plans when we grow up so that I won’t be able to forget it.” She nodded in response.

“I will get rich before that day arrives.” She said and kissed me on the cheek. “Annyeong Himchan”

 

When tomorrow came, I heard from my brother that he’s finally seeing the girl. One night after I came from school, I found Himchan sitting on the bench outside the house in our front yard.

“Is something bothering you?” I asked taking the empty side.

“I don’t understand why she acted like that earlier.” He answered and stood up. “I’m tired of her hyung.”

“What?” I turned surprised and worried. “Where is she now?”

“She wanted me to go to the Han River but its freaking cold tonight. Yah! Where are you going hyung?”

I immediately run towards her whereabouts not minding the low temperature. There she is feeling so cold. I walked towards her and covered her with my coat.

“Luhan? Did you become as a substitute for your brother again?” She joked but she never managed to laugh but instead tears came out from her eyes. “The Himchan I knew before isn’t the same Himchan I know today.”

Those tears I’m always afraid of touching since that day we separated. I pulled her into a tight hug.

“Yah what are you doing? Let me go Luhan.” She tried to push me but I only hugged her tighter before whispering to her ear for the second time. “Please don’t stop on reminding me of our plans when we grow up so that I won’t be able to forget it.”

She stopped from pushing me. “What-how come-

I freed her. “The Himchan you know is my younger brother, but that kid who played with you is me. My real name’s not Himchan but Luhan.”

“Stop playing jokes with me because it’s not funny. Himchan told me so many stories about you; that you are his older playboy brother who never gets tired of changing girls every now and then as if you’re changing your clothes. You’re impossible!”

“No he’s not.” Someone intervened and Himchan is there standing behind her. “My brother can prove that by telling you your real name. I haven’t told him your real name yet so I guess that it’s enough as a valid proof.”

She didn’t answer too confused with everything that’s happening.

“I’m sorry I didn’t come back to you. It’s just that after I left, something happened. Appa almost poisoned me by asking me to drink unknown pills and when I searched about those, I found out that those pills are intended for clearing my memories. I got no choice but to follow him, do whatever he order just to preserve my memories and end up in this kind of life. I’m really sorry that I broke my promise of marrying you, Park Shilye.”

I know that she still won’t believe making me feel miserable for our relationship to be saved. I didn’t move in my position and lowered my head. A tear from a man is impossible, but here I am crying in front of her.

“Luhan” She touched my face and raised my head. “I thought you wouldn’t come back for me. I thought that everything’s will be over. But here you are standing in front of me; no one could ever take my husband because I am already your wife since that day we met, bear that in mind.”

I smiled and kissed her. “You’re absolutely my childhood wife.”

 

THE END