Something Unexpected

This Time It's Different

Yixing’s POV

“Yeah, so I model for all these clothing brands that are up and coming. I’m so in demand that people have to book me a month in advance.” I stared at the raven haired girl sitting across from me. Her dark eyes were surrounded with thick smoky makeup and her lips were covered with the most extensive amount of the deepest red lipstick I had ever seen. She was a pretty girl, but why did she think that she had to try so hard? She droned on and on about her modeling career, not once asking me about my interests. That’s why I didn’t like being put up on blind dates like this. Why couldn’t I just marry a girl I could meet for myself? One that I could fall in love with.

My mother who constantly set me up on these dates would only look for one thing in a girl. Her societal status. A girl couldn’t be higher on the social scale than we were and she could definitely not be middle class. She had to have impact in society or she just wasn’t good enough. 

“Yixing. Mr. Zhang Yixing are you listening to me?” She snapped her well-polished fingers in front of me. I blinked my eyes and snapped out of my thoughts.

“I’m sorry. What were you saying?” A deep frown set on her face.

“What could possibly be on your mind that’s more important than I am?” I chuckled at her ignorant question. How could someone be so arrogant? I smirked at her, dropping my nice boy act that I always had to put on for these dates.

“Listen, Jiyun… I think that’s what you told me your name was. Why don’t we just cut to the chase? Are you actually interested in me?”

“Yes.” I expected that answer; it was always the answer these girls gave me.

“Why?”

“Because you’re quite handsome, and you’re a pretty important person. It wouldn’t hurt to be seen around with someone like you.”

“Then we’re done here. Don’t expect a call from me.” I got up and grabbed my black suit jacket from off the back of the chair.

“Wait!” I stopped and turned my head to look at her.

“Yes?”

“Are you really not interested in me?” I could almost hear the shock and worry drip from her voice. Smirking, I completely turned to her.

“You’re not high enough on the social ladder for me to be seen with someone like you. Have a nice night, Jiyun.” I walked out of the restaurant and stepped into the car that was waiting for me. As soon as I closed the door the car sped off.

**************

I walked into the grand foyer and almost made it to the marble stairs when my mother’s voice rang from the living room. It got louder and louder as she approached.

“Yixing, you’re home earlier than I expected. How did your date go?” I bowed to her,

“Hello mother, the date went just like all the others. I wasn’t interested.” I waited for her to say something, but all she did was shake her head. When I turned to go upstairs she grabbed my wrist to stop me.

“What is it about these girls that you don’t like? They’re the most prestigious girls in all of South Korea, I’m giving you only the best girls so what is it about them that has you not liking any of them.” I sighed at her question. I knew that she wanted to get me married soon, but I didn’t want to get married for the wrong reasons. I will admit that I am rude and somewhat arrogant at times, but I still wanted the love that other people had.

“Mother, they aren’t interested in the same things I want. All they are after is a higher spot on the social scale and I don’t want to have to deal with something like that. I want a girl who I can actually love. Not some airhead model who will most likely cheat on me the first chance she gets, I’m not asking for much here.”

She let go of my wrist, “Love? Who cares about love in a time like this, Yixing? We’re in the 21st century. People want money, they don’t need love. The only person who will love you the way you want is a simple commoner and I will not have my son involved with people like that. I’ll be setting you up on another blind date soon and this time if you don’t like her, actually come back with a good reason for me.” She walked away from me with a steady look in her eyes. A young maid followed after he and I stared after them wondering why I had to deal with something like this. I made my way up the stairs, heading to my bedroom and hoping for some much needed rest.

*2 Days Later*

Hyori’s POV

Work, work, work, so much work! How many single people were in South Korea anyway? Was I the only matchmaker out there? “No, no Hyori,” I reminded myself, “You should be happy you have business.” I nodded quickly and started getting back to work. I looked through the files and computer database for all the people that would match a person’s specific interest.

“HYORI, I’M HERE!!!!” I groaned and laid my head on the desk. Why did she always have to come at the worst time? The door burst open in she came in gliding on her skateboard.

“Lee Jina, I told you a million times, you can’t just come riding your skateboard in here. I just got the floors re-polished!”

“Yup,” she smiled at me, “My baby here glides like a charm.” She petted her skateboard and laughed when I rolled my eyes.

“What did you want anyway?”

“I was bored so I thought maybe I could hang around here and watch you work.”

“What’s so interesting about watching me work?”

“It’s funny watching you get frustrated when people call.” As if one cue the phone began ringing and Jina leaned forward with an interested look in her big eyes.

“Hello,” I answered, “Hyori’s matchmaking service, how can I help you today?”

“Yes,” a woman’s voice sounded at the other end, “I heard from a friend of mine that your matchmaking services were good and I was interested in setting up my son.”

“Yes, of course madam, I’ll just need your son’s name and profile information.”

“I’ll have someone send his profile information over later today, but as for now I’ll give you the basics.” I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and jotted down everything she said, “His name is Zhang Yixing, he’s twenty-one years old. He’s looking for someone mature, pretty, and someone who isn’t a complete airhead.” Jina snorted upon hearing the demands and I shot her a glare to quickly silence her, “As his mother I’m not looking for just and average everyday girl, I want the most high-class girl you have, and I need her available for tomorrow night.”

“T-tomorrow night? Ma’am that’s too early! Usually we ask for at least a week in advance so I can find someone who is perfectly suited for the other person. One day is extremely rushing it!”

“I could always take my son to another matchmaker, but I heard you were the best around. I guess I heard wrong.”

“No ma’am, I’ll do my best. I’ll get the best girl I can for you.”

“Yes, alright then. I’ll send his profile information with someone in a few hours. Do not disappoint me, Miss Hyori.” The line cut off and I placed the phone back on the desk. I stared at the information in front of me. Zhang Yixing? That name looked familiar, but where had I seen it before? Before I had a chance to remember, Jina’s laughter filled up the room.

“That lady is a complete lunatic, but I’m sure you can do it Hyori. You’re my cousin after all.” I looked at, raising on of my eyebrows.

“Don’t remind me.” I told her sarcastically. I quickly began finding all the upper-class girls that were registered for my services.

Jina’s POV

Hours ticked by and Hyori was still trying to find someone. All the girls she had called were busy on vacations in different parts of the world and all the others were already booked for dates. She slammed the phone down on the last phone call and put her head in her hands. “This is hopeless!” Her muffled voice said. Usually I would have laughed at how frustrated she was, but sensing that this was a very important client, I felt bad for her. She was too young to have such a hectic workload, but that was why I admired her, she never gave up no matter how hard things were.

A knock sounded on the door and the office secretary opened the door. She smiled at me and I waved back. She handed Hyori a white folder, “A new clients profile information ma’am.” She walked out and I immediately ran to the desk and opened the folder.

His picture was paper clipped on the left side of the folder and underneath was all his information.

“Zhang Yixing.

 Age: 21 (October 7, 1991)

 Height: 177cm

 Weight: 60Kg

 Blood Type: A”

I looked at the picture once again to see what was perhaps one of the most handsome men I have ever seen. He was good looking enough to be an idol. “This is so disappointing.” I said to Hyori, “I was really hoping he would be ugly.” She glared at me before snatching the folder out of my hands. When she saw his picture she gasped and her face turned pale white.

“Oh. My. Gosh. Jina do you know who this is?!” I shook my head. “This is the same Zhang Yixing that is the son of Madam Jung. The woman who owns those three fashion magazines and the two biggest fashion designing agencies in all of Korea!” I looked down at him again. Despite his looks he really didn’t seem to have much going for him. Over hearing the conversation Hyori had with his mother he seemed to be nothing but a stuck-up brat. “Jina what am I going to do?! I have no one to set him up with.” I looked down at her and shrugged. She continued to look up at me and I was starting to have a bad feeling about the look she was giving me. “Jina can you do your favorite cousin a favor and go on a date with him?” I stared at her with my mouth hanging open.

“No! No way! I would never do that! I’m not even anything close to what he’s looking for. I’m not high-class at all and if I’m going to be perfectly honest with you he seems like a stuck-up jerk.”

“But Jina!” she whined, “You owe me!”

“Owe you for what?”

“For that one time I bailed you out for knocking over that old man’s watermelon cart, and for the one time I covered for you when you snuck out to go that concert. You said you owed me and it’s time you paid up.” I stared at her, searching my brain for an argument but I found nothing. I looked back at his picture.

“But I’m not what he’s looking for Hyori.”

“It doesn’t matter! When the date falls through I’ll tell his mother that she didn’t give me enough time to set him up and then I’ll find the right person for him. Besides,” she added, “He’ll probably want to meet you at an expensive restaurant and he’ll buy you dinner. You’ll get free food, I know how much you love that.”

I sighed before giving up. “Fine, but I’m only doing it for you… and the food.”

************

Kekekeke ^_^ Yeah so this is the first chapter (.... obviously O_O) I don't know what to say, I hope it caught your attention and made you interested because i'm really excited about this fic.  I have a lot of ideas for it so I hope you like it. If you want comment and tell me what you think because all criticism is welcomed ^_^

To all the people who comment, read, and subscribe.... Saranghae \(^O^)/