006

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a school day, and Haruka and Shintaro walked to their class together and found Mirai walking alone to their class.

“Where’s Ryosuke?” asked Haruka to Mirai when she and her boyfriend caught up to her. “Juri’s not here too?”

“It was a last-minute decision to visit their girls at their school,” answered Mirai. “They should be back by now.”

“Great. I’ve got something to tell you. Alone.”

“Sure.”

“At lunch. I already got Shin-chan to take the boys elsewhere.”

Mirai knew that if Haruka was separating them, it was serious talk.

Right before they reached their classroom, they heard Ryosuke and Juri shout for them, so they turned around.

“For a moment,” said Mirai to the running boys once they caught up, “I thought you’d be late.”

Haruka and Shintaro nodded.

“I wanted to come earlier,” said Ryosuke, “but someone here wouldn’t leave.” He side-eyed an ecstatic Juri.

Juri grinned. “She’s so cute! I miss her already.” He looked at Ryosuke, waiting for a reaction of some sort.

But Ryosuke could care less. “What?”

“Dude, you’re supposed to object and say that your Rena is cuter.”

“Why?”

“‘cause she’s your girlfriend.”

“How come you’re not telling Shin-chan to say it too?” asked Haruka. “He’s got a girlfriend.”

“Yeah, you.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?”

“That you’re not—”

Shintaro lightly nudged Juri on the head before Juri could complete his sentence

Haruka mugged Juri and interlaced her arms with her boyfriend's. “Let’s go, Shin-chan.”

Mirai sighed and told the other boys to do the same.

Juri flashed a smile and said loud enough for him and Ryosuke to hear, “Now, Mi-chan’s cute.”

Ryosuke stopped walking.

“What’s wrong?”

Mirai turned around after hearing Juri’s question and saw Ryosuke looking puzzled and horrified.

“You okay, man?” asked Juri to Ryosuke.

Ryosuke snapped back to reality before Mirai could come to him. “Y-yeah. Yeah, I’m fine.” He gulped and walked without Juri and Mirai. Did I almost agree that man-girl looked cute?

*

Lunchtime finally arrived, and the girls were by themselves.

“Juri or Ryosuke can’t know about this,” said Haruka to Mirai. “Shin-chan knows, but he promised he won’t say anything to them.”

“What is it?” Mirai opened her packed lunch and slightly frowned. She had packed herself a bit too much as usual.

“Need Ryosuke, your finisher?”

Mirai laughed. “As if.” But her friend was right.

“Gotta admit, it’s quiet without them, huh? Kinda like it.”

“Let’s not get too used to it though.”

The girls laughed and then resumed their serious conversation.

Haruka took a deep breath. “Rena is…”

*

Ryosuke looked back and forth between his friends’ lunches. He had finished his lunch and was still hungry.

Juri glared at Ryosuke when he caught him eyeing his tamago. “Oi, stop it. I’m not giving it to you.”

Ryosuke rolled his eyes. “Who’d want yours? It doesn’t even look good.”

“Then, stop looking at it.”

“I will.” Ryosuke looked away. “I’m actually full.”

Juri laughed. “Yeah, right. If you were full with just one plate, why do you always go after Mi-chan’s?”

Ryosuke looked back and shook his head. “That girl needs to lose some weight, not add on any.” He looked back, fearfully, and hoped that she wasn’t nearby to sneakily listen to their conversation. “She always packs too much anyway.” He looked at Shintaro. “What’s wrong with the girls again?”

“They’re having a private discussion,” answered Shintaro.

“About what?” Juri and Ryosuke asked, together.

Shintaro shrugged. “I can’t tell.”

Juri pointed at Shintaro with his chopsticks. “So, you know what it’s about?”

Shintaro nodded.

“Then, tell us!”

Ryosuke scooted to Shintaro and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. “Haruka’s not here, so you can tell us.”

Juri placed his index finger in front of his lips. “We won’t tell a soul.”

Shintaro sighed and stood up. “I’m full. Want my share?”

Juri and Ryosuke knew Shintaro had purposely brought up the subject of food again to divert their attention away from the girls’ discussion. Regardless, they took the bait. “Mine!”

*

It was after school, and the friends were stopped in front of the gate as an impatient Juri requested for Ryosuke’s company to visit their girlfriends, although Juri was still single and had yet to make a move. He was using Ryosuke as an excuse since Ryosuke’s girlfriend was the best friend of his crush.

Ryosuke didn’t want to go, however, saying that he had priorities. “I’m picking up the brat.”

Mirai stepped in, feeling bad for the begging and single Juri. She nudged Ryosuke. “Go with him. How many times do I have to say that I can do it myself?”

“See!” whined Juri. “She got him, Ryosuke! Let’s go! Let’s go!”

Ryosuke ignored him and turned to Mirai. “But it’s cold, and it gets dark early. I know you can protect yourself ‘cause you’re man-girl, but I need you to protect me.”

“Just go,” insisted Mirai, trying to keep her laugh in.

Ryosuke grabbed her hand. “Call me if anything happens.”

Haruka breathed out loud. “Gosh, Ryosuke. It’s not like she’s going alone. We’re with her.”

Ryosuke pouted. “But I’d feel better if I’m with her.”

“Okay, big baby.” Mirai rolled her eyes, shoved him to Juri, watched him leave with a saddened expression, and then felt a bit guilty for having forced her friend. Maybe she should’ve said an excuse or something to have him stay. No, she did the right thing, she finally decided.

Even as Ryosuke was dragged away by Juri, he never turned away and looked at Mirai until he and Juri turned at a corner.

Mirai turned around, ready to leave with Shintaro and Haruka.

“You sure you’re not gonna tell him?” asked Haruka to Mirai.

Shintaro glanced at Mirai. “You think it’s true?”

Haruka shook her head. “No, she doesn’t think so. She said if it’s really true, it’s their business and that Rena should be the one to tell him, not us.”

“But I don’t think it’s possible.”

“You were with me when we saw them.”

Mirai sensed her friends would get into another spat, so she quickly interrupted them. “Thanks for looking out for him, but I really think the best choice is for us to let whatever that’ll happen, happen. Besides, it’s Ryosuke we’re talking about. He won’t get hurt over a girl.”

“You really want this relationship to work, don’t you?” asked Haruka, almost in a whisper. “Is it related to what he had said to you during winter break?”

Mirai stopped walking and looked at them. “You… You guys know?”

*

Ryosuke and Juri had arrived at the girls’ middle school and were waiting at the gate. Countless students walked in and out or loitered around the area, so the place was packed. Juri kept himself entertained by counting how many girls had passed by him, and Ryosuke wanted to be home with Mirai and the brat.

What caught Ryosuke’s interest was a young boy he recognized.

Haruma.

The boys locked eyes for a moment, and Haruma and his friends made their way over.

Ryosuke straightened up, feeling challenged.

Juri saw Haruma and quietly asked Ryosuke, “They go here too? But our girls didn’t mention them at all when we all saw them.”

The younger boys got to Ryosuke, and Haruma asked, “You guys were with Mi-chan, weren’t you?”

Ryosuke and Juri nodded.

Haruma smiled and looked faintly around them. “Is she here?”

“Just us,” answered Juri. “We’re waiting for Rena and Mayu-chan.”

Haruma’s brow twitched. “You guys close with Mi-chan?”

The girls finally showed themselves, running to Ryosuke and Juri, and gasped out loud when they saw Haruma and his friends.

Juri sent the younger boys an awkward smile. “Well, umm, we’ll see you guys next time.”

Ryosuke didn’t move and had his eyes on Haruma. “Yeah, I know Mi-chan really well. What about it?”

Juri scowled and pushed Ryosuke back and hissed, “What are you doing? Trying to start something?”

“I’m not.” Ryosuke rolled his eyes, however, clearly showing that he was. “I just wanna answer any question they got for her.”

The side of Haruma’s mouth went up. “You shouldn’t do that. Someone might think caring for a friend is the same as cheating.”

“Cheating?” Juri laughed, trying to lessen the tension between the boys. “Who’d think that? And no one’s cheating on anyone here. Besides, Ryosuke and Mirai might look and act like a couple, but they’re definitely not a couple.”

“I’m not talkin’ ‘bout Mirai. She ain’t one to think like that.” Haruma tightened his jaws. “That person already knows who and what I’m talkin’ about.” He stepped back. “See you guys around.” He walked away with his friends.

Ryosuke, Juri, and the girls stood at their place, quiet.

*

Mirai had parted ways with Shintaro and Haruka after persuading them she didn’t need them to go with her to pick up her son. She didn’t want to bother them, but more importantly, she wanted to think to herself after what she had found out—her friends knew about Ryosuke’s declaration to her. She had informed them that she and Ryosuke had decided to not bring up the matter again and she would do her best to make sure Ryosuke would get married in the future.

She had picked up Natsu and as she exited the daycare, her phone rang.

It was Haruma.

“Haruma?”

“Hey. Got time for something?”

*

“Okay, let’s eat next!” suggested Juri. “After that, we’ll take you girls home.”

Ryosuke pulled Juri close and whispered, “Mirai and Natsu are home now.”

“She let us stay out. Why rush to head home when you’ve got a girlfriend here?”

Ryosuke didn’t know what to say. All he knew was he wanted to go home. He wanted to eat his friend’s cooking, play with the brat—from far away, of course—mess up with setting the table, get into bickering fights with her, and most important of all, he wanted to sit at the same table, eating dinner with her.

Like the virtual Yamada family they were supposed to be.

“There’s this place down this block,” said Rena. “How about there?”

Juri shrugged off Ryosuke and walked to the girls. “Sure.”

The three of them walked first, leaving Ryosuke to hesitate between ditching them or continuing the double date.

*

Mirai, with Natsu in her arms, arrived at the place she was to meet up with Haruma, who she saw was waiting for her. When they saw each other, they smiled and waved.

Haruma looked at the little boy. “What’s his name?”

“Natsu.”

He looked up at her. “He’s yours, isn’t he?”

She blinked, a bit confused at his question.

“Your sister came—for the first time—and told the staff about you, and they told me ‘cause, well, they knew what kind of relationship we have. It’s weird seeing her picking up your kids instead of you.”

She giggled. “Now it’s weird? When we first met, you thought I was the mom, and was surprised.”

“Hey, usually parents pick up their kids, so it made sense that I’d think you were a mom.”

“I guess. So, what’s up?”

“Well, to make up for bringing you down about Takeru, I’m gonna treat you.”

She wasn’t expecting this kind of answer, so she blinked multiple times.

He shifted his attention and spoke lower, “He called yesterday, and I told him about you, and he told me to cheer you up with this.”

“You don’t have to.”

“Well, it’s partly an excuse to catch up with you.” He broke into a soft smile. “I booked the place already. Let’s go. Want me to hold your kid?”

“I’ve got him.”

“Where’s his dad? Thought I’d be seeing him with you.”

She looked away. “He doesn’t have a father.”

Shocked, he turned back to look at her. “What? Did he leave you?”

“Nothing like that.”

“Who’s the jerk? Gimme a name and a face, and I’ll track him—”

“Thanks, Haruma,” she softly said those words, telling him that she didn’t want to continue the conversation.

*

Ryosuke, Juri, and the girls had been in line for almost half an hour. It was during rush hour, so there were a lot of people.

“Maybe we should go to another place instead?” proposed Rena.

Juri sighed. “Yeah, we could—Mirai?”

Ryosuke immediately perked up and looked around him. Within seconds, he saw someone with the same figure, height, and look as Mirai coming their way.

“What she doing here?”

“She’s with Haruma.” Ryosuke also heard Rena repeat Haruma’s name in a whisper, so he looked at his girlfriend and saw her looking at Haruma and Mirai.

The couples watched Mirai with Natsu and Haruma making their way to the front of the line. Haruma made sure Mirai was beside him and not lost in the crowd, and they were too busy going through the crowd that when they were beside the couples, they didn’t notice them until Juri pulled on Mirai’s arm.

“Why are you cutting?” asked a scowling Juri.

Mirai gasped in surprise. “Juri!”

Haruma excused himself to tell the waiter about his reservation and would come back for her as Juri let go of her arm.

“I’m here with Haruma, and he’s got us a table already, so we’re not cutting.”

“A table?” A wicked smile appeared across Juri’s face, and Mirai knew what he would say next. He knew that she knew, so he quickly said, “Let’s sit together!”

She sighed. “It’s Haruma who booked the place, not me.”

Haruma came back for her, and Juri pulled her behind him, and she bumped into Ryosuke.

Juri said to the younger boy in the nicest way possible, “Hey, mind if we join you guys?”

She exhaled. “Juri, you guys—” She stopped speaking because Ryosuke moved in front of her and faced his back to her. She had a feeling it was on purpose to interrupt her from saying what she wanted to say.

Haruma said to Juri, “Sure.” He tried to eye Mirai but got the eyes of Ryosuke because she was behind Ryosuke. He walked to them and put out a hand for her and smiled at Ryosuke as he said, “I got her. Let’s go, Mirai.”

*

The atmosphere at their table was somewhat intense and awkward. No one knew where to look or what to say. It was quiet too because they were in an enclosed room.

The only exception was Juri. He was having light and quick conversations with Mayu in their small corner.

Rena inhaled and glanced at Mirai, who sat diagonally across from her. “Your baby brother?”

“He’s…” Mirai stole a glance at Ryosuke. “He’s my son.”

Juri and Mayu stopped talking, with Juri almost choking on his breath.

“Is he…” continued Rena, “Haruma’s?”

Mirai, Ryosuke, and Juri reacted to Rena’s question with confusion.

“He’s not his,” clarified Mirai. “We’re good friends. Natsu…” She stopped to think. She couldn’t tell Rena that her boyfriend was the father—even if it was only on paper and a virtual relationship. She snuck another look at Ryosuke and saw his firm expression telling her to lay it all for everyone to know. She shifted in her seat. “There is no father.”

It was quiet again.

Until Ryosuke got up, gathered his things, and left the room.

Mirai knew her words were the reason, so she started packing up. “Sorry, Haruma. I’ll treat you next time, okay?” As she picked up Natsu, she said to Juri, “Make sure you get the girls home safely.”

Juri waved to Mirai and then forced a smile. “Do-do you guys wanna leave too?”

“I’m fine with you thinking he’s mine,” said a monotonous Haruma, not looking at anyone, “but to have you imply that she was that kind of girl with me?”

Juri stopped moving. He didn’t know whom Haruma was speaking to.

Haruma continued, “How many times do I have to tell you that we don’t have anything together?”

Rena scoffed. “Then, why did you take her to a place like this? Isn’t it a date?”

Haruma stood up. “If you didn’t understand my relationship with her when we were dating, you wouldn’t understand it now either.” He walked to the door. “I’ll pay. Just leave.”

Juri slowly exhaled and looked back and forth between the opened door and Rena. “You and…Haruma…”

“Sorry,” said Rena, standing up. “Mayu and I can go home just fine.” She left, however, without Mayu, but Mayu hastily gathered her stuff and ran out to follow her friend.

Juri was left alone in the room, too confused at what had happened.

*

“Ryosuke!” Mirai shouted as she paced her walk. She couldn’t run, not with Natsu with her. She also didn’t know where to look for her friend. She could see her breath in the air and the day getting darker. She shivered but wouldn’t give up. “Ryosuke!” She called him by phone, but as expected, he didn’t answer. Behind her, she heard footsteps. Hoping it would be his friend, she turned around.

It was Haruma. “Mirai!”

“Haruma! I’m sorry today ended like this.” She looked behind him. “Have you seen Ryosuke?”

“Are you okay? Why are you going after him? Why did he storm off?”

“It-it’s something I did, but don’t worry. I’ll work things out with him. You go on home. I’ll be fine. Please, Haruma.”

He hesitated but obeyed.

She continued her hunt for Ryosuke. She had walked down four blocks already, and he was nowhere to be found. Her arms were getting tired from carrying Natsu without a stroller, and her legs were exhausted from the strenuous pacing. Her breathing was hard and fast too. She felt as if she’d pass out at any moment.

Then, something warm was put over her.

She looked behind her and felt relief.

It was Ryosuke. “Wear it,” he said, blankly, and not looking at her. “See you at home.”

She stopped him by holding onto his arm. Panting, she said, “I’m sorry. I know you’re hurt. I know what I said was wrong. I know I should’ve told—”

“It’s not you, Mirai. It’s me. I’m angry at myself.”

“Why?”

“I know why you said what you said. You didn’t want to ruin my relationship, and you didn’t want me to be involved. Even though I knew that, I’m angry because I still got hurt about it when you only meant good.” He kicked the air and clicked his tongue. “I’m sorry for acting like a jerk back there.”

She no longer felt worried or scared. Instead, a fuzzy feeling overcame her. She slid her hand down his arm and interlaced her fingers with his and gave him a side hug. “It’s okay. I think it’s natural.”

“Natural?”

“You’re Natsu’s father. It’s only natural to feel hurt about it.” She looked up at him and gave him a cheeky smile. “Let’s go home, Natsu’s Daddy.”

He was smitten and embarrassed, so he wrapped his arms tightly around her. “You’re so mean, Mirai.”

*

“Morning,” said Mirai to Ryosuke, who walked cautiously downstairs with Natsu in his hands. She was in the kitchen, preparing food. “He’s awake?”

“Heard him talking to himself in your room when I was getting dressed.” He put Natsu in the playard, joined his friend in the kitchen, and saw a tower of Tupperware on the counter. “Why are you packing so much?”

“For the practice playoff.”

The practice playoff was a practice baseball game where Sugita-san split the team into two groups and made them play as if it was an actual game. Because the game lasted longer than practice, the members usually brought their own packed food, but it had become a thing for Mirai to take on the role of preparing snacks despite not being the baseball team’s manager.

Please log in to read the full chapter