005

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mirai woke up, looked around, saw that she was in her bedroom with Natsu snuggling beside her, and realized she had taken a nap while feeding him. She carefully got up, but her movement wasn’t as subtle as she had thought, so Natsu woke up. She changed his diaper, wrapped him with a blanket, and went downstairs with him.

“Took a nap?” asked Ryosuke, sitting on the couch, watching T.V., and snacking on junk food.

She nodded and yawned.

He made way for her to sit beside him. “You woke up just in time. Thought I’d have to wake you up.”

“For what? Oh, for your New Year dinner party?”

Usually, the friends paid a visit to the shrine for Hatsumode, but since they had an infant and the weather was cold, they opted for a fancy dinner date. All planned by Ryosuke.

He nodded. “You have ‘bout an hour or so, so go get dressed.” He placed a hand at his stomach and pouted. “I’m hungry.”

She gave out a weak and tired laugh. “Okay. Don’t want you to starve and die now.” But she didn’t move.

“Go.” He nudged her.

“I just got down. I’ll go when it’s time, and our friends aren’t even here yet.”

“Oh, change of plans. We’re meeting elsewhere instead.”

“Why?”

“Because I said so, so go get changed.” He nudged her again.

She sighed. “Fine.” She and Natsu went back upstairs. She put him on the bed, went to stand by the closet, picked out a sweater and jeans, changed into them, found some comfortable clothes for her son, dressed him into it, and walked back down with him. “Ready.”

He smiled. “Perfect.”

The friends stayed downstairs, idly at the couch until it was time to go. About half an hour later, it was time. He opened the door for them as she seated Natsu in a stroller, and the Yamada family stepped out after locking the door behind them. To her surprise, he led them to a different location—the neighborhood park.

“I told Haruka to pick us up here. Let’s sit and wait.”

She obeyed and sat on a bench with him.

Then, he stood up and slapped a palm on his forehead. “Damn! Forgot something. Let me run back home. Stay here!” He ran before she had a chance to question him.

She waited and looked at her son with rosy pink cheeks and became worried about him. She made a mental promise to scold her friend for forgetting something and leaving their son out in the cold. Just as she was about to pick her son up, a familiar voice halted her.

“Mi-chan?”

Mirai looked away from her son to face the direction where she had heard the familiar voice. She hoped it wasn’t who she thought it was. She was afraid to say the name, afraid that it’d be true.

“It is you, Mi-chan!” The figure ran straight to her and hugged her.

Mirai almost fell back if she wasn’t sitting on the bench. She felt the cold cheeks of the figure and knew the person had been waiting. Waiting for her, perhaps. They pulled away, and Mirai looked at the person’s face. It had been a long while since she had seen the person, and her heart squeezed with guilt.

“Is this the little boy?” asked the person squatting down beside Natsu. “His name’s Natsu, huh? He’s so cute!”

Mirai stood up, legs weak. Her paralyzed mouth uttered, “Nina.”

Nina looked up and smiled. “Yeah?” She stood up. “Oh, I almost forgot.” She looked behind her, and Mirai did the same.

Mirai looked across the street and saw a van.

Standing as a clustered group by the van on the sidewalk were eight pairs of eyes looking back at her. They were Mirai’s nieces and nephews. All the old and the young ones together.

*

“You jerk!”

Shintaro covered Haruka’s mouth as she hissed at Ryosuke. In the park across near where Mirai and the kids were, Ryosuke hid behind the small stairs, Haruka hid with Shintaro behind a slide, and Juri rode the swing set like a seven-year-old. Haruka removed her boyfriend’s hand from and exclaimed in a whisper to Ryosuke, “Why did you let them see each other?!”

Ryosuke signaled Haruka to hush. “Later, Haruka.”

“Oh, yeah, like there will be a later. You will either spill everything, or I’ll spill your guts!”

Juri sighed. “Oi, why so mad? We’re at a park. Be more—”

“Juri! Get down from there!” everyone yelled at him and then ducked for cover, and Juri hopped off from the swing and almost bashed his skull onto the ground.

Once the friends confirmed that their covers weren’t blown, Haruka walked out of the slide, and her boyfriend clumsily followed. She went to Ryosuke. “Look, you better tell me why you’re doing this. She’ll get hurt, don’t you know?”

Ryosuke stood his ground. “If this doesn’t happen, she will be hurt. Forever.”

*

Nina looked both ways of the street and then motioned for the group to run to them.

The group did so, and everyone ran and crowded around Mirai. The little ones immediately hugged her, but the older ones maintained their distance, shying away.

Mirai returned everyone’s hug and then hugged the older ones. She asked Nina, “Who took you here?”

“A friend of mine has her license, so I asked her for this favor. We really want to see you.”

“I miss you,” said one of the little ones, Ushio, holding onto Mirai. “Nina said you’re not coming back with us. Why do you stay at school? Why do you not come home?”

“She said you have a baby too,” cried another little one, Mika. “Is that him?”

Mirai nodded. “He’s a cutie, isn’t he?”

Mika pouted. “But I thought we’re your only cute ones?”

Mirai laughed and patted her on the head. “You guys are. And he too.”

“Then, can you come back? Please? You can bring him too! I promise to take good care of him.”

“I know you will. I know all of you will. But I can’t leave him. I’m his mom now, and I… I have to be with him.”

“I said I wasn’t gonna do this,” said the tallest boy from the back. He was the oldest nephew, Yuma. He stepped forward. “But I can’t hold back anymore. Mi-chan, where’s the jerk that knocked you up? I came here to give him a piece of my fist. He’s the reason you’re in this mess.”

“I’m not in a mess. I’m happy with everything.”

“You’re away from us, and you’re happy? I thought you wanted a good life, not-not this.”

Nina pulled her brother back. “Dude, chill. I told you that we’re here to see her, not to do something stupid like that.” She looked apologetically at her aunt. “Sorry, Mirai. We’re not here to force you or anything. We—”

Yuma interrupted his sister and spoke to Mirai, “We heard about what happened between you and our parents, but that doesn’t matter. You play with us, you understand us, and you’re always there for us. So, come back home. We’ll help you. We’ll be there for you. This time, we’ll do anything for you. And that little guy.”

“I’m fine,” said Mirai. “Trust me. I have Natsu and Ryosuke.”

“Ryosuke?” Yuma’s brow twitched, and Mirai knew that wasn’t a good sign. He continued, “He’s the bastard, isn’t he? He’s the dill-hole that you got like this, huh?” He looked around. “Where’s that punk? He set this up, but he won’t show his face? What a freakin’ coward.”

“He set this up?”

Nina bit her lips and confessed, “He and I have been texting each other, and I kinda made him do this.”

“How did you get his number?”

Nina shrugged. “I think he texted me first, but-but it’s not his fault. It’s mine. I asked for this. I-I wanted to see you.”

Mirai should have known something was up when her friend started taking charge of something. She took out her phone and texted in all caps, demanding for Ryosuke’s appearance.

About five minutes later, Ryosuke made his quiet and cautious entrance from behind Mirai.

“Where have you been?” questioned Mirai to him with a hand on her hip.

Ryosuke smiled. “Waiting down the block.”

“So, you heard everything.”

He nodded.

Yuma walked past Mirai and set his eyes on the older boy. “This scrawny guy’s the jerk?” He slammed his fist into his palm multiple times, threatening Ryosuke.

Mirai held Yuma back. “Yuma, listen to me. He’s not involved. If anything, it’s like what I’ve said. I’m family with him now.”

“He ain’t family! He’s a jerk! Lemme give him a piece to knock him out!”

Ryosuke scurried to hide behind a bush, and Mirai and Nina had to hold Yuma back. The younger kids stood still, frightened and confused at the scene.

“Stop this!” shouted an overwhelmed Mirai, and Yuma panted, calming down. She took a deep breath and looked at Yuma. “I want you to understand that he’s my friend. We’re in this together, and we’re gonna go through with it. No one—not even you—can make me change my mind.” She walked to her son in the stroller and strolled him to where Ryosuke stood. “I’m with them now. They’re my family. Even if it’s not today, there will be a day where I can’t stay with you forever.” She sent the group a smile. “I love you. I always will.”

*

Mirai’s nieces and nephews had left, so it had been the virtual Yamada family for a while now. Nina ended the meeting short because Yuma was getting worked up and wouldn’t listen to Mirai. No one wanted to leave, so Nina had to force them. Before they walked away, Nina had asked if it was okay for them to see each other more often, but Mirai told them that it was best if they never crossed paths again. They left, and the kids who were old enough to understand what Mirai had said turned away with tears.

The friends sat on the bench as Natsu played with his pacifier.

Haruka, Shintaro, and Juri showed up.

Haruka hugged Mirai. “Sorry. We just found out about everything.” She scowled at Ryosuke. “How could you do this, Ryosuke? Why did you let them see each other? Didn’t you know that doing that would hurt her?”

“It was for closure,” answered Ryosuke.

Everyone looked at him. Even Mirai. They sent him a confused look.

He looked at Mirai. “I know what I did hurt you. But if anything, I don’t want you to avoid them for the sake of the brat. You got closure with your parents and your siblings but not with your brats, and I think they deserve it more than them. You had been by their side, and you left without explaining anything.” He held her hand. “I’m fine if they think badly of me, but I’m not fine with them never knowing the truth about you.”

Everyone was quiet.

Mirai squeezed his hand, prompting him to perk with interest. She looked at Haruka. “Can you take Natsu for a moment? I want to speak to him alone.”

Haruka nodded. She strolled Natsu away with Shintaro and Juri and told Mirai that they’d be at the place they were supposed to be half an hour ago for the dinner party. She glanced at Ryosuke and sneered. “You’re in trouble now.”

Once the friends were gone, Mirai looked back at Ryosuke, who looked terrified of what was to come, and hugged him.

He was confused. “M-Mirai?” He heard her sniffles and knew she was crying. He hugged her tight. “I’m sorry,” he quietly whispered.

She shook her head. “Thank you, Ryosuke.”

They stayed like that for a while until she was ready. When she pulled away, her eyes were red and puffy, and her face was damp.

He , “Eww, you’re already ugly, so you can’t go back to the brat lookin’ like that. You’ll scare him.” He cleaned her face with his sleeves.

She made a face at him for making a joke out of her depressing state. “It’s your fault I’m like this.”

Once she looked better, he asked, “Ready to go?”

She nodded. “Yeah, let’s go.”

*

School was to resume tomorrow, and that meant exams were right around the corner. It also meant the friends would be seniors.

Ryosuke had received a notice from his baseball coach last night for a quick team meeting at the school field today, so he rushed downstairs with a blanket as he wrestled to get his jacket on. He stopped when he saw a sleeping Mirai with a tiny blanket over her while Natsu played in his nursery. He draped the blanket he had carried with him over her, and she rolled into a ball, so he laughed.

He still had a few minutes to spare, so he crouched beside her and stared at his friend. He leaned close to her and whispered, “I’m going. I’ll come back before dinner, so wait—”

She felt something tickling her, so she batted her eyes and saw her friend up-close. She scowled. “What are you doing?”

“Looking at you.”

“Aww, I’m so pretty, you can’t resist?”

He backed away from her as he pulled the blanket over her face to keep her from noticing his embarrassment. He stood up but stepped on a part of the blanket and slipped backward.

She attempted to catch him but was pulled down by his weight, so she fell on top of him. Her hands were at his chest, and her right leg was in between his legs. She attempted to get off him, but her hand slipped, making her plant a hard kiss at his lips. Due to shock, she got up and slapped him away from her.

He backed away and touched his chest. “Ouch, what was that for?”

She grabbed the blanket on the couch and covered her upper body with it. “You know what that was for.” She saw him rubbed where she had hit him. “Sorry. It was a bit hard, huh?”

“It was more than a bit. You have the hands of a man.”

She scoffed and then shoved him again. “Sorry. I have the hands of a man.” She stood up and helped him up too. “Better get going, or you’re gonna be late.”

“I’m gonna tell Coach my ribs are broken ‘cause some dude broke them.” He stuck out his tongue at her as he walked out the door and waved goodbye to her.

She waved back and waited until his silhouette disappeared before closing the door.

*

Ryosuke’s baseball meeting with the coach and the team was finished, and he was the last to pack and leave because he had to take over another member’s duty of managing the equipment. He was in the school equipment shed, where it was dark and crampy. He wanted to go home and be with his friend and the brat, so he rushed through his work. His pace was interrupted when a hand at his shoulder made him turn around.

It was Sugita-san, his coach. “Your special fan came to see you. She’s out in the fields. You should go see her.”

Ryosuke’s eyes lit up. “Special fan?” He rushed out of the room and to the field and searched the area.

There was no one.

He was hoping for a beautiful and y lady.

“Oh, my!” gasped a familiar voice from behind him, and he immediately frowned and turned his head around. It was Mirai. She put her hands over her cheeks and pretended to look surprised. “Are you, perhaps, Ryosuke? Ryosuke Yamada?” She squealed with delight and spoke in a feminine tone, “You are Ryosuke Yamada! I can’t believe you’re in front of me right now!” She was acting like a surprised fangirl.

“What are you doing here? I thought I told you to not come.” He didn’t see the baby. “Where’s the brat?”

She spoke normally. “Don’t worry. He’s at daycare. And why can’t I come? You always let.”

“Because you’re our bad luck charm. Last time you brought honey lemon slices, we ate and had a tummy ache and lost.”

“You mean you had a tummy ache. Besides, it was your fault for gobbling all of it. It was supposed to be for the team, you selfish brat.” She pinched his nose. “I guess it was too good, wasn’t it?”

“It was poisonous, that’s what it was.” He cheekily smiled. He wanted to continue the bicker but was too tired. He hugged her and put almost all his weight on her. “Carry me home.”

She tried to shove him away. “Idiot, you’re heavy! Get off!”

“What’s up with the love?” It was Sugita-san with Ryosuke’s belongings. He told Ryosuke that he had finished Ryosuke’s job and had secured everything.

The teens had known Sugita-san since sixth grade, so Sugita-san had seen the development of their relationship and found it amusing to tease them because they always gave him a reactive response.

“Mirai, haven’t seen you in a while,” said Sugita-san, throwing a hand in the air for the short Mirai to reach.

She pouted and playfully slapped the Coach’s side.

“You two dating yet?”

“We’re not!” exclaimed the teens, together.

Sugita-san chuckled. “As always, you guys are in sync. Just date already. Everyone knows you two are a couple.”

“Everyone?” The teens freaked out.

“Not everyone. But the baseball team knows about your relationship.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “We’ll never have that kind of relationship. It’s not possible.”

Ryosuke nodded. “Exactly. She’s a guy.”

She pointed to Ryosuke. “And he’s a girl—err, dummy.”

“Hey, I called you a guy!”

“And I called you a dummy. What’s wrong with that?”

“I want s!” He d the air, and she looked away with disgust.

Sugita-san smiled and glanced at his wristwatch. “Snap! I can’t be late for this breakfast!”

The teens docked their heads to the side.

Ryosuke said, “You’re not a breakfast person though.”

“Not for me,” said the Coach. “It’s our fourth anniversary. I was late for the last two years, and she was furious.”

“Girls. They’re such—”

“Romantics?” finished Mirai.

“No,” said Ryosuke without hesitation. “I was gonna say that they’re a hassle. It’s why I don’t date. I fling.”

She shook her head and returned her attention to the Coach. “It’s sweet of you to remember and do it.”

“I don’t go for the food or the celebration,” confessed the older man. “I go ‘cause she’s there.” He pointed to the young ones. “You two might think you’re not meant for each other, but, trust me, when one of you is far from the other for a long time, you’ll start missing each other’s presence.” He walked away and shouted, “Keep that in mind!”

Once the Coach’s shadow disappeared, the friends slowly turned to look at each other. “Nah, it’s not happening,” they said, shaking their heads. They started to walk home, forgetting the words the older man had said.

*

“Morning!” greeted Mirai to Haruka and Shintaro in the school hallway, and following closely behind Mirai was Ryosuke.

It was the first day of the new semester, and the gang had barely gathered. The only person missing was Juri.

Haru

Please log in to read the full chapter