040

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family
Please log in to read the full chapter

Haruka, sitting with Mirai and Mayu at the back seats of Shintaro’s car, rested a hand over Mirai’s that was on her knee. Although Mirai didn’t look anxious, Haruka could tell she was worried and afraid.

A week ago, Ryosuke had suggested to everyone related to the situation about an idea, and they all agreed to it. The friends—Shintaro, Haruka, Juri, and Mayu—tagged along for moral and emotional support, and Kei was needed for affirmation of the entire situation in substitution of the nowhere-to-be-found Kota. With them was also Mrs. Yamada, the sole person Natsu was willing to be around with.

Ryosuke had previously called to inform the Satos, and luckily, it wasn’t Takeru who answered, for he was busy with keeping the family business running. Apparently, Takeru hadn’t informed his grandparents about Natsu, otherwise, they would’ve said something the moment Ryosuke had introduced himself over the phone as Kota’s younger brother. Ryosuke didn’t explicitly tell everything to Mrs. Sato, the one who had answered the phone. Instead, he said he’d like to stay for a few days with them to discuss an overdue explanation. Although Mrs. Sato believed they could speak of it over the phone, Ryosuke pleaded for a face-to-face conversation.

Since it was now winter break and Natsu had the time off from school, the trip to the Satos was today.

Mayu saw Haruka’s and Mirai’s clasped hands, and she too followed suit, and Mirai, appreciatively, reciprocated the warmth of her friends’ comfort.

Ryosuke had wanted Mirai to go with him but knew it’d be an awkward mess to have her with Natsu in the same car, so he rode separately with Kei, his mother, and Natsu.

The ride to the Sato’s residence was a quiet and long journey, and because each member had brought at least a piece of luggage for the two-night, three-day vacation, it was even more tiring to ensure the safety of their belongings.

They arrived in the residential area of the Satos, and Kei informed them of having to walk a few miles before actually reaching their destination. With luck, however, a passing truck agreed to transport them to the Satos.

When they were on Sato grounds, to the friends’ shock, an identifiable figure was on his knees in front of the open entrance.

Kota was begging for forgiveness.

No one had to guess why he was on his knees in front of the Satos, for they were partially here for the same reason.

When Mrs. Sato saw them standing from afar, she forcibly smiled and tried to lighten up the atmosphere. “Kota-san, if you don’t mind, may we talk of this later?”

Mr. Sato was hesitant to let this topic go, but he must because he had a prior meeting with the person who had taken the group here.

“Takeru, dear,” said Mrs. Sato, “take our guests to the inn out in the back.”

“Grandma, they—” Takeru was interrupted from further explanation.

“Oh, dear, wait.” She paused, turning right and turning left. “I’m sorry.” She ran to Ryosuke’s group. “I’m Mrs. Sato. Is one of you Mr. Ryosuke Yamada?”

Ryosuke raised his hand. “Yes, that’s me.” He greeted the elderly lady. “Also, he’s with us.” He pointed to his older brother still kneeling on the ground.

“W-with him?”

Takeru heaved a heavy sigh. “Grandma, I’ll take care of this.” He stepped out from the door and said to the group and to the man on his knees, “Follow me.”

It was another walk to the next destination, almost half a mile away from the Sato residence.

Ryosuke was tempted to interrogate his brother about his whereabouts but knew it’d be insensitive of him, especially in front of Natsu.

After the group put their stuff away in the inn and had delegated their rooms—Juri and Shintaro; Mayu and Haruka; Kei and Kota; Mrs. Yamada and Natsu; Ryosuke by himself; and Mirai by herself—Takeru explained that his grandparents would probably not have the time for them to discuss Natsu because it was the end-of-the-year harvesting, so Ryosuke said that they’d wait for as long as they could.

Takeru stood still at the inn’s entrance as if he wanted to say more. His eyes casually glided to look at the young boy, who was now a relative of his, and then he made his leave quietly.

Kei broke the stilled tension by telling everyone to sleep and rest first before the talk with the Satos, and they listened and went to their rooms.

Haruka and Ryosuke glanced at Mirai to ensure her emotional state, and after they saw her close her door behind her, they too went to their rooms.

Hours later, Takeru and two other members dropped by to give dinner to the guests. Before leaving, Takeru informed them that after dinner, his grandparents were ready to talk.

An hour later, it was that time.

When the group entered the living room, Mrs. Sato had a welcoming smile, but her husband didn’t. He had yet to give them a look as he sat straight and firm at the corner of a couch. Mrs. Sato got up and gestured for the guests to freely sit around. When she saw Natsu walk past her, they subtly exchanged a quiet greeting, both aware of their newly established relationship. The two had always gotten along, but it was different when, suddenly, you find out that you were related.

After everyone sat, the Satos eyed Mirai.

“You must be Mirai,” said Mrs. Sato, half-smiling, and Mirai showed her respect by nodding with a sheepish smile. “You’re as beautiful as they’ve said.”

“They?” Mirai, Ryosuke, and Kei questioned as they wondered who’d talk about her.

“Ah, Takeru and…Kota-san.” Mrs. Sato’s voice gradually dropped in tone when she mentioned the latter’s name. “Takeru’s never praised a woman so much before in front of me, and you stand true to those convictions. As for Kota-san, I’ve heard so much about the ‘mother’ of Natsu-kun when he had worked with us. He was always apologetic about how much he relies on you than the other way around.”

“Let’s get to the point,” Mr. Sato immediately added, uncaringly showing his disinterest in flattering his guests.

“Mr. Ryosuke, I believe you’d like to start?”

Ryosuke offered to have Kei the honor since he was one of the two—with Kota—who knew of the actual beginning of how it all started. When it came to the part of raising Natsu, Ryosuke then continued from there until his one year with Natsu was finished—in other words, when Mirai ran away with Natsu.

It was then Mirai’s turn to explain how she raised Natsu, and she had the most to say. She explained in depth about the move with Kota, where they lived, the schools Natsu attended, and how she balanced work and parenting as a supposedly “married” woman whose husband was hardly home with them.

Most of what Mirai said was news to Ryosuke, so he too attentively listened to her. As much as she liked to sound calm, he could see how nervous she was. Whether she was nervous that Natsu would be taken away from her after this discussion or how she and Natsu’s relationship would change, Ryosuke couldn’t tell.

“And no one bothered to tell my great-grandson the truth for seven years?” Mr. Sato sounded and was angry. “How’s that for his own good? You guys had to fake a dramatic scene for the truth to be told?” He stood up with rage and pointed a finger at the group. “What kind of adult-like behavior is that?” He then pointed at Kota. “And you!”

Kota immediately lowered his eyes.

“You’ve been with us for the last six years, and you didn’t say anything? I’m willing to overlook the one-night stand because it may not be entirely your doing, but you ought to have known about who we were when you were staying with us!”

Mrs. Sato immediately stood up to calm her furious husband. “Dear, I’m sure he—”

“If he had any guilt when he was staying with us while we fed him—trusted him—he would’ve been honest from the start.”

Mrs. Sato pulled back from him because she agreed with him. She then sat down, not knowing what else to do or say.

As no one spoke from the guests’ side—because they knew they had no right to say anything or shouldn’t try to defend anyone—Mr. Sato gradually ceased his temperament. He exhaled loud enough for everyone to hear, then, with a gentler voice but still with a tone of affirmation, he asked if anyone had anything else to add.

All eyes looked at Kota, unknowingly, and Kota knew it was his turn.

Kota mustered his might to stand from his spot and look straight at the Satos. “I’m here to formally apologize for all that has happened.” He stepped forward to them and groveled in front of them. Without his head raised, he added that he would do anything they ask of him.

“Bring her back,” Mr. Sato quickly answered, serious.

Mrs. Yamada was about to stand up in fury for such a response, but Ryosuke stopped her and eyed her, telling her that it was only reasonable for them to request for such a thing and that their loss and this surprise justified their request despite its absurdity.

“I… I am not able—” said Kota.

“Then, leave Natsu with us,” Mr. Sato immediately quipped.

Kota, anxious, lifted his head; Ryosuke, taken aback, stood up; the friends, worried, froze; Mrs. Yamada, paranoid, hugged her grandson; Natsu, blank, could barely process what was said; Kei, concerned, gaped his mouth open and then looked at Mirai; and Mirai, terrified, tightened her jaws as she looked at the ground.

Ryosuke finally spoke, but not for himself. He said to the elderly man that although he understood his brother was at fault, he couldn’t let Natsu stay with the Satos, especially if the Satos weren’t allowing any future contact with the Yamadas, and he knew they wouldn’t.

“Why can’t I request it?” challenged Mr. Sato. “Your family had hidden him from us for six, seven years, and I can’t ask for the same?!”

Ryosuke was tempted to glance at Mirai but knew that if he did, he’d catch sight of her tears, so he continued to look at the Satos. “Mr. Sato, Natsu may not have been told of the truth until now, but he’s always been loved—loved by the one person who sees him as her world, her sun, her entirety. He’s the reason behind her smile. He’s the cause of her tears. Without him, she’d—”

“Ryosuke.” It was Mirai. She sounded calm—she even looked unfazed.

“Mi-chan…” he quietly whispered. He was sure she’d be hurt and sad.

She stood up from her seat and walked to where Kota and Ryosuke were. She smiled and bowed to the elderly couple. “Please. Take great care of my son.”

*

The discussion instantaneously ended after Mirai’s bow and decision. Kota, Kei, and Ryosuke knew that it was useless to try to change her mind or even to help fight for Natsu to stay with Mirai. They figured that she had a reason for this decision.

Again, Takeru escorted the guests back to the inn for the night, and the walk was silent the entire way back. This time, not even Haruka or Mayu bothered to comfort their friend, too scared that if they did, Mirai would probably rethink her decision, and it’d cause further trouble for both families. They rather have Mirai stay firm with her decision while she was of sound mind than cause further unnecessary issues for her.

“Mi-chan,” said Haruka with Mayu beside her in front of Mirai’s door.

Everyone was already in their rooms—although they couldn’t sleep—and was packing to leave tomorrow. They had planned for another night, but since the so-called vacation didn’t go the way they had assumed, they figured it was best to leave after they visit Natsu’s mother’s grave tomorrow morning.

“Do you want to brush up with us?” the girls asked.

“I already did,” answered Mirai.

“O-okay. Good night then.”

“Good night.”

Haruka and Mayu walked back to their room. They had thought of using this chance to brighten up their friend’s mood, but it wasn’t a success.

Mirai entered her room too.

As soon as her door closed, someone else’s door opened, and tiny little footsteps paced to her door. Someone knocked at her door.

“Yes?”

Another knock followed her response without an answer.

“Who is it?” she asked this time with a louder and clearer voice in case the person outside didn’t hear her.

No answer again, but a knock. This time, however, the knock was softer as if scared that the others would hear.

Curious, she got up from her bed and walked to the door to open it. It was either Ryosuke, Kei, or Kota. Most likely Ryosuke, she thought. Only he would bother her in the middle of the night, insensitive to her emotions. When she opened the door, to her surprise, it wasn’t Ryosuke.

“Natsu.”

*

“Dear,” said Mrs. Sato. She and her husband were still in the living room to discuss between themselves. “Aren’t you being a bit—”

“This is nothing compared to what they did.”

“But they’ve never loved our great-grandchild any less. Takeru had said that all that was done up to now was for him. Kota-san may not have intended to hide his son—our great-grandson—from us either.”

“They didn’t bother to explain why they didn’t look for us when Yuki was born!” As soon as Mr. Sato said that, a realization hit him. “How could they know of him…when Minami was with us when she came back from college? I remember throwing a fit when I found out she was pregnant and couldn’t answer me who the father was. And didn’t you say our great-grandson left with… With her?”

He did a mental re-trace of the last memories he had of his granddaughter. Minami had arrived around this time—during winter break—and said that she had finished college earlier than expected and had wanted to live in the countryside with them. Since they didn’t have a room prepared, they let her live in the inn, the very same inn their guests were in. That was when he last saw her because he was busy with the business, and only his wife tended to their granddaughter.

He furrowed his brows as he looked at his wife. “You told me we lost him.”

Mrs. Sato shut her eyes and then reopened them moments later. “When her water broke, I had our neighbor drive us to the clinic. In the car, I found out it was a breeched birth, so I turned the baby in her stomach, and it made her lose a lot of blood.” As she recalled the tragic memories, she wept to herself. “By the time she had pushed him out and he was in my arms, she looked at her son and left us. She never got to hold him. We still went to the hospital to get him checked. I was in a mess, Dear. My granddaughter had just left me, and my great-grandson was just born. I-I didn’t know how to feel or what to do. But I was angry—angry that the father who created this mess knew nothing of the two lives he had responsibility for, so after I buried Minami and took Yuki from the hospital, I searched through her stuff and found the only clue of the father…” She hiccupped. “And I dropped Yuki and the note and the picture…at his front door.”

*

“Can I—” Both Natsu and Mirai asked at the same time as they sat across each other, separated by a small-sized, brown, wooden table. He hadn’t told her why he was here but said that his grandma was already asleep, so she didn’t know that he was gone from her side.

Mirai smiled. “You go first, sweety.”

Natsu reddened at the title his “mother” used. It used to be a term he was comfortable with, but not so much anymore. He bashfully looked away. “Can I…sit with you?”

She tapped the empty and cold spot beside her. “I’d like that.”

He swiftly made his way to her.

But the two had yet to properly lock eyes with each other.

Another silence followed them.

She, however, was tempted to ask for a favor herself. She looked at the little boy. “Natsu…can I hold you?” For one last time.

He didn’t look at her but agreed to her request.

She picked up the small fella, plopped him on her lap, wrapped her gentle arms around his small waist, and grimly rested her chin on his shoulder. No matter how big he was, no matter where he would be, no matter what he chose, she’d forever love him, and he’d forever be her son.

“Why did you keep me?” he asked quietly as if scared that he had done something wrong.

She thought back to when she first saw him—the small infant in a wooden basket and wrapped with a thin cotton blanket. He looked like he was having a good dream despite being in a small, unconventional bed. She answered, “I fell in love with you.” There was no point in lying about anything anymore. “But later on…”

As he waited for her to gather her thoughts on how to appropriately say and use the correct words, he tensed up because he believed she’d say negative things about him. He was, after all, not her biological son.

“I realized I needed you more than you needed me.” She squeezed him to show her embarrassment and explained her then-current situation. She was even honest about raising him to see if she could ever go back to loving kids, but it was because of him that she realized that his pure innocence, sweet laughter, and hyper demeanor were what made her continue living.

“Are you still going to marry…Dad…” He trailed off because “dad” now had a sensitive backstory to it.

She turned him around to face her, although he dared to not look at her. “Natsu, you can call us the same. Kota-san is your dad. Ryosuke-san is your uncle.”

“What about you?” His voice mumbled from his lowered head.

“I… I am here for you.” She wanted to cry. She couldn’t tell him that she was his mom. Because she wasn’t. She couldn’t even proclaim to be an aunt like how Ryosuke could be an uncle, for he was truly blood-related to the little boy. Her? She had nothing. She was his pretend mother. A fake.

He fidgeted with his hand. “Are you happy?”

“Of course, I am.”

“I mean…are you okay…with marrying him when you don’t love him?”

She stayed quiet. This was something she didn’t know whether she should be honest or lie about. After a fifteen-second pause, she decided that honesty was what was best. “I may not love your father like how your real mother had loved him, but I do love him as a friend.”

“But won’t it end up like…Kamenashi-san?”

“Kamenashi-san?” She quickly understood the worry of her son and the reason for his roundabout questions. Although she knew that her son must’ve known about the unfortunate situation Kamenashi-san was going through with his ex-wife—the custody battle—she didn’t think that Natsu would understand the emotional consequences the involved parties would have to endure, such as hatred, fear, and anxiety.

Natsu gently placed a hand over hers. “I don’t want to lose…both of you.”

“You won’t.” But as soon as she said it, she remembered the request his great-grandfather had asked earlier.

“And I want you to be happy.”

“I am happy.”

“I want you to be with Unc…with your friend.” His voice lowered at the reference of Ryosuke. He then slowly removed himself from her lap to sit across her. “I want you to marry who you really love… Uncle Ryosuke.”

She hung her head low.

“If I can’t be with you, I want you to be with him.”

She smiled, the only response she could give her son and the only expression she could use to hide her agony of the near, painful future to come.

“Thank you for everything. Mom.”

*

After breakfast—brought over again by Takeru and the staff—the guests followed him to the gravesite of his cousin, Minami. It wa

Please log in to read the full chapter