029

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mirai stepped out of Ryosuke’s car and said to him, “Thanks for the ride.”

“Anytime,” he said as he followed her out. “You didn’t miss any appointments, right?”

The six friends hadn’t hung out together as a group in so long that they had an ecstatic time talking, joking, and even reminiscing—without any problem or discomfort— that they stayed at the place longer than usual. The one to remind them of their delayed overtime was Mayu. Mayu, Juri, and Haruka worked under Haruka’s father’s fashion business, and Haruka was learning the ropes of becoming the next heir to her father’s business while Juri and Mayu were the business’s new models and spokespersons. Because they were working at the same place and were friends together, Haruka had the upper hand of allowing their schedules to fall together. That way, the friends could meet up whenever. As for Shintaro, he was a freelance web designer and web programmer and had made a name for himself for his creative logos and artistic ideas. He had even made Haruka’s and Ryosuke’s businesses’ websites and oversaw them.

Mirai depressingly looked down. “I missed two, but it’s okay.”

“You did?” He walked to her side. “I’m sorry—I’ll apologize for you.” He walked away, heading to the door, but she grabbed him by the hand to halt him.

With a smirk, she said, “Baka, I’m kidding. If I were late, I’d be frantic, but I’m not.” She pursed her lips. “You don’t need to apologize.” With a quieter voice, she added, “But thank you. For today.”

He embraced her. “Wait. I want to hold you a bit longer.”

She stood there, not even hugging him back because she didn’t know how to react. No, more like she couldn’t respond.

If she hugged him, what would he think? What would become of her?

When he had hugged her at Natsu’s birthday party, she had a nightmare, and it made her longed for his touch, his voice, his existence. And if she were to hug him, she knew she’d want more. And she shouldn’t.

She couldn’t. She mustn’t.

The door behind them opened, and one of Mirai’s co-workers stepped out to shout, “JUST KISS ALREADY!”

This made her pull herself away from him, blushing, and run into the building, not giving him a chance to stop her. She didn’t even look back, too red to do so.

“Sorry,” said the colleague to Ryosuke. “We wanted to tease you.”

He was amused at the co-worker’s support. “Please, take care of her.”

“Will do.”

*

When Ryosuke got home, he saw a white Volvo parked outside his house. Mom’s here?

When Mirai left him, he continued to stay in the Yamashi house in hopes that his friend would come back to him one day. But every day worsened him. It slowly ate him alive, and that was when his mother started dropping by every other day to check up on him, finally becoming the mother she had stopped being after his birth to go after her dream of becoming a blogging traveler. She asked him to sell the house and come back to live with the family even if he didn’t want to live with and see his father. Although he was persistent to wait for Mirai’s return, his friends insisted and said that they had lost a friend already and didn’t want to lose another one.

He came to his senses and finally agreed to move out of the Yamashi house and moved back in with his parents, although he didn’t try to converse or interact with his father anymore. Two years after working under Sugita-san and saving enough money to move out, he also found a job as a paid intern at a business company while earning his degree in Business. He modestly worked his way up the success ladder and eventually opened his own business, targeting the joys and happiness of children.

And in all these years, his mother had been behind him, giving him emotional and mental support. He had always wanted this kind of relationship with his mother, but now that he had it, he still felt weird because he didn’t think his mother would ever give up her dream for him, and when he thought of that, a part of him was ridden with guilt because it was for him. He didn’t want her to not go after her dream. He wanted her to be there for him when he needed her. And he knew that although balancing two or more kinds of roles was hard, it was possible. Besides, a big boy didn’t ask for much anymore.

He took his keys out, ready to unlock his house door, but it opened from inside, and instead of seeing his mother, he saw Ayame.

“What are you doing here?” he asked her, slightly raising a brow.

“You ate somewhere else,” she answered, “so I dropped by your place instead.”

He walked in. “Is something wrong with the construction process?”

“No, I just wanted to eat lunch with you.”

“Where’s my mom?” He usually changed the subject whenever he sensed the conversation was leading into a subject he didn’t want to indulge in. “I see her car but not yours.”

“She dropped by your workplace, and we carpooled here.”

“Ryosuke?” his mom said from upstairs. “Are you home?”

“Yes,” he said, looking up. “Do you need something?”

His mother pranced down the stairs, and when she saw him, she leaped into his chest and hugged him. “I’ve missed you so much!”

“Mom, we saw each other two days ago, remember?”

“What’s wrong with a mother missing her son, huh?” She playfully patted his chest and pouted. “Don’t you know that a mother always misses her child when he’s not in sight?” She took her son’s hand and dragged him into the kitchen. “I bought some fruits for you because I see you keep many of them around.” She untied the white plastic bags and showed him the packed oranges, apples, and strawberries. “I’m very glad you eat healthily.” She sighed. “When you were a kid, you never went near any fruits or vegetables, and I could never get you to—” When she turned away from the bags to her son, she saw him staring happily at the fruits. “What are you grinning at?”

He snapped out of zoning and answered, “Now I can show her that I’ve been taking good care of myself.”

“Huh?” the ladies responded.

He ripped the bags of apples, took one out, washed it at the sink, and bit into it. “Nothing.” He continued grinning, “It’s just, it’s thanks to someone I got these good habits.”

“Who?” Ayame questioned, looking at Mrs. Yamada. She had thought it’d be his mother, but from how he had said it, his mother was out of the picture.

On the other hand, Mrs. Yamada’s expression gradually darkened.

He continued to not notice the ladies’ expressions and curiosities and focused on his apple. While his mother was showing him what she had bought over, the sights of those healthy fruits made him remembered way back when he had lived with Natsu and Mirai, and she had always reprimanded him to eat fruits and vegetables. They even had a promise to eat fruits together. That way, she could be sure that he had had his share of a healthy intake for the day. Although eating fruits and vegetables was supposedly a chore for them, it progressively became a family quality time where, instead of a bowl of potato chips and soda out on the couch while watching T.V., they’d be munching on fiber.

He the T.V. and sat on the couch, having forgotten that he still had visitors as his mind was completely stuck in the past. I wonder if Natsu likes to eat fruits and vegetables. When he took another bite, he recalled something. She said she’ll pick the kids up at eight. Doesn’t that mean Natsu will at someone’s place until then? He got up and headed back to the kitchen and was surprised to see his mother and Ayame and said, “I forgot you guys are here.”

“How can you forget, Ryosuke?” Ayame said, disappointed.

He threw away his half-eaten apple into the trash and washed his hands. “Sorry, Mom, Gouriki-san. I have to go somewhere.”

“Ryosuke.” His mom stopped him. “A-are you okay?”

“Yeah. I-I just forgot something, that’s all.” He paced to the door. “I’m leaving now!”

Ayame sighed. “What’s wrong with him?”

“Don’t worry,” Mrs. Yamada said, finally breaking a smile. “He’s found his sun.”

*

KNOCK, KNOCK.

Ryosuke batted his eyes to the sounds of knocking at his window and saw Mirai standing outside his car with a not-so-happy look. He had taken a nap while waiting for her to clock out from work. Since she was in front of him and it looked late, he knew she was done. He quickly sat up and fixed his seat as he unlocked the door and opened it. “Mi-chan, you’re finished?”

She pursed her lips. “Why are you loitering here?”

“I’m not loitering. I’m waiting for you to finish work so I can drive you home.” He stepped out and checked the area and noticed that his car and an ash-gray SUV were the only vehicles parked on the lot, and inside the SUV was a lady who slightly inclined her head to greet him. He returned the same gesture and then looked at Mirai. “You’re carpooling with her?”

She nodded. “We close the center on Wednesdays, so we’re the last to leave.”

“That’s dangerous, don’t you know?”

“The area here’s very safe, mind you.” She saw one of his buttons had become undone, so she casually buttoned it for him. “Don’t go sleeping at random places and especially, don’t sleep through the night if—”

He pecked her on the lips, shutting her up. He pulled away, satisfied. “Go on, continue.”

She angrily took a step back. “Don’t do that.” She stole a glance at her co-worker, who was busily looking at something on her phone, to make sure that she didn’t see it.

“What? I wanted to kiss you, that’s all, cause for a moment, you were acting like a wife scorning her husband. It’s just like back then.”

She couldn’t find the energy to laugh, but itched to do so, so she gently bit the inner sides of her bottom lip to stop herself. Clearing , she glanced back and forth from his car to him. “Drive on home. I’m leaving with her.”

He grabbed her hand and held it. “Let me take you home, okay?”

“Go by yourself.”

“Why can’t I take you? I know the way.”

“I have to pick Natsu up.”

Exactly. “At this Kamenashi-san’s place, right?”

“How did—” She breathed out when she recalled that he was there to hear the call between her and Kamenashi-san. She glanced at the time on her watch. 7:49 p.m. “I don’t need you to. She can take me.”

“I won’t leave here then.” He scowled at her and leaned on the door of his car. “Not until you go with me.”

“Suit yourself.” She walked away.

She’s really leaving me? He tried his best to not look affected by her cold words. At the corner of his eyes, he saw her knock on the window of the SUV, say something to the lady in the car, and then get her handbag. Huh?

Mirai walked back to him, pouting. “Fine, let’s go.”

“I can take you?” He excitedly asked, showing his true reason as to why he was really waiting for her. “I mean, of course, I trust this person. She has a kid, so she must take good care of Natsu for you.”

As the SUV car drove past by them, the friend waved goodbye to them, and they waved back.

Mirai chuckled and said to him as she got inside his car, “Actually, Kamenashi-san’s a man with a daughter the same age as Natsu.”

“Aren’t there two Kamenashi-san’s?” questioned Ryosuke. “His wife?”

“He’s divorced.”

He stayed stiff-frozen. I do NOT trust this man! What kind of divorced man would watch a stranger’s kid? He better has a girlfriend or be involved with someone else!

*

“That house in blue with the rose bushes.” Mirai pointed to a house several houses away, and he steadily swirled into the driveway to park his car. They walked out of the car, and she led the way. As they got close to the door, they could hear laughter from inside—very happy and harmonic giggles. “He’s always playing with the kids,” she pleasingly commented as she rang the doorbell.

Well, I can do that too. He mentally scoffed.

The door opened within five seconds by Natsu and a girl slightly taller than him. Maybe by an inch or so. Her shoulder-length hair framed her cutely round face, and she looked like a chibi from an anime. Her eyes swiftly gazed to Ryosuke, the man she had never seen before. Scared, she backed away and bumped into her father’s leg.

Natsu, however, jumped with joy and hugged Mirai, who had crouched down to return the hug. “Mom!”

“Hello, Kamenashi-san,” Mirai said, looking up from her son. “Sorry that I’m late.” She pulled apart from Natsu and stood up. “Natsu, go get your stuff. We have to leave soon.”

“We can’t stay awhile?”

“Uhh…” She hesitated to answer. “Y-your uncle has to go somewhere.”

Uncle? Ryosuke frowned. She’s referring to me, isn’t she?

“Are you Mirai’s brother?” Kamenashi-san asked Ryosuke with a smile and had a hand out for a shake. His hair was neatly brushed but not styled in any way. His glowing tan and rough skin contrasted with Ryosuke’s, making Ryosuke feel a bit inferior toward the divorced man. The taller man said, “I’m Kamenashi, Kazuya.” He patted his daughter’s head, who was still hiding behind his leg. “This is my daughter, Mana.”

Mana peeked from the side and half-smiled to Ryosuke, to which he responded with a slight nod.

“Actually,” Ryosuke started, “I’m her boy—”

Mirai kneaded him in the waist and finished for him. “Kamenashi-san, I’m sorry that we can’t stay for dinner. We’re in a rush—”

“To my place,” Ryosuke purposely included for revenge.

“—because he has work tomorrow.” She didn’t care as long as her friend didn’t spread the one thing she didn’t want. “Hopefully, I can come by next time.”

“Sure,” said Kazuya. He pointed behind him. “I’ll get Natsu’s stuff while he puts on his shoes.”

“Thanks.” She looked down at her son and watched him do the bunny ears with his shoelaces. When he looked up and his eyes asked for help, she giggled and crouched down to remind him how to do the ears and how to loop the ears around.

“Mom,” chirped Natsu. “How come you’re with Uncle?”

“He came to my workplace.”

Ryosuke crouched down beside her and said to him, “I’m taking you home from now on.”

She immediately clarified, “Not from now on. Just today.”

“Here you go.” Kazuya came back with Natsu’s backpack and a bag of mixed chips. “I got snacks for the kids, and this is your share.”

She stood up and sweetly smiled at him. “Thank you, but you didn’t have to.”

“It’s my pleasure.”

In Ryosuke’s mind, he mocked Kazuya’s comment. What a showoff.

“Jaa, Natsu,” Mirai said. “Say your goodbyes and thank you’s.”

Natsu turned around and bowed to Kamenashi-san. “Arigatou.” He lifted his head and waved goodbye to him and Mana. “Bye-bye!”

“Thanks again for today,” Mirai repeated as she led Natsu to Ryosuke’s car.

“Anytime, Mirai-san,” said Kamenashi-san.

Ryosuke disarmed his car and quietly and sarcastically uttered, “Anytime, Mirai-san.” He blew an angry raspberry. “Tch, you’re just a babysitter.”

“Hmm?” she asked as she hopped into her seat after having belted her son in the backseat. She stared at her friend. “Did you say something?”

“Nothing.” He pouted. I can’t talk to her about this with Natsu here.

*

Right after Mirai unlocked the door to her house, she quickly turned around to face Ryosuke, who stood closely behind her. “Shouldn’t you head home?”

He sent her a surprised look. “I give you a ride home, and you won’t let me in?”

She rolled her eyes. “You begged for it.” He was about to take a step forward, but she placed a hand out to stop him. “Ryosuke…”

“What?”

“I-I’m not comfortable…with you here,” she finally said, looking away, too scared to see his reaction.

But he didn’t give any. “I know.”

“Then, go home.” She was still not looking at him.

“Can’t I rest inside?”

“Mom!” exclaimed an excited Natsu, who had taken off his shoes and dropped his backpack on the floor. “Can I paint my room?”

“Do your homework first,” Mirai said, glancing back.

“I only have to read.”

She entered her house, picked up his belongings, and said, “Let’s read first, and then we can paint.” She heard the door locked behind her and remembered that she had a “visitor.” To Ryosuke, she said, “Y-you’re not leaving?”

Ryosuke ignored her and went to the young boy and asked him, “You painting a room? Whose?”

Natsu hopped up and down. “My room! My room!”

“Oh, can I see?”

“Yeah!” Natsu’s eyes lit up, and he sprinted to his room.

R

Please log in to read the full chapter