Ⅰ,Chapter 4

you are my ᴅᴏωɴғᴀʟʟ.

 

CHAPTER 4

(...what's proof reading?)



 

When I awake the next day, I don't know where I am. At least not right away. Then the memories slowly make their way through and let me face the harsh reality. I finish up and take everything I have with me, needing to leave on time for my morning shift. I can't cancel this one, I need the money, and the distraction.

"You're leaving already? But he hasn't stopped by yet-" The woman behind the counter looks even more tired than yesterday, as if she hadn't slept at all. I force a smile at my lips.

"Yeah, well, he didn't say he'd visit me. And I've to work now..." I take a deep breath and add: "I'm really sorry but it seems I might be staying for a while. If I can somehow help you, let me know." Confused, the woman blinks at me, then snaps out of it. Whatever she was wondering about, she looks relieved.

"It's okay." We're both quiet for some time, and when it turns awkward, I indicate to leave, but her voice stops me. "I'm Soori by the way." I turn around once again and bow politely.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Eunji."

* * * * * * *

I didn't think being back to work would be like this. Maybe I expected some consolation, and thus was disappointed when there was none. Actually quite the opposite. Everyone told me they were glad having me back, but that was basically it. No hugs, no talk. I guess I don't mean much to them, even though I've been hired for a few months now. I sigh and continue cleaning the tables. It's early, so there aren't many costumers yet, and we're only two waitresses running the business, which is more than enough. An elderly couple is having coffee somewhere in the back, a girl around my age has brought her laptop and does some university stuff (which I'm envious of, I wish I could study already). That was about it, and I've been cleaning the cafe for about half an hour now, because it's better than having nothing to do. My coworker sits behind the bar, sipping a cappuccino. I wonder if we're even allowed to do that. Make our own drinks, I mean. My gaze shifts to the university student again, and imagining what life as a student there could be like, I don't think I'm cleaning the tables well. Got to redo it later. I her someone entering, but since my coworker Haemi has already shot up to take the order, I don't bother looking who it is. Not until five minutes later, when Haemi approaches me carefully, poking my shoulder.

"Hey, could you take over that costumer? I feel uncomfortable around him." I listen to hear and unconsciously question her further.

"Why?" Seems like she doesn't want to tell me, is she embarrassed? Shifting from one foot to the other...

"That might sound stupid now, since he's really handsome-. But he's creepy somehow. And makes me feel like I'm ugly." I frown at the silly answer yet am surprised and happy that she was being honest with me. Because of that alone, I agree and fulfill her plea. When I'm about to approach the costumer, though, I freeze. What does he want? That's exactly what I ask him as I stand before him, glancing down at him yet avoiding to directly make eye contact.

"A coffee, please. Black. No sugar." He says, and I roll my eyes. We both know that wasn't what I was asking for, but he's still a costumer, right? I don't need to take a note for that order, so I simply give him a sugar sweet smile, singing:

"Coming right up~" And do what I'm being paid for. When I bang the cup on the table before him without a word, he demands:

"Sit for a moment." Since there's no other costumer I could use as an excuse not to do as he says, I sit. Keeping my head high to show him I did it because I wanted to, not because he told me.

"Why won't you meet my eyes?" He asks, and I click my tongue, still looking past him. That way he can't break my guard down. "Why won't you look at my face when we're chatting like this?"

"Are you that confident in your looks? Need the attention?" I return the question, and he doesn't seem happy about it. He folds his hands resting on the table.

"No, I don't need the attention. I'm just interested in you." Daehyun states calmly. Being so terribly honest, why does he have to do that? I don't want to blush in front of him, even more so since he most definitely didn't mean it that way. I close my lids halfway since I don't know how to react. I refuse to tell the truth. Why should I reveal my secrets as he keeps his?

"Then stay interested. This is none of your business." from the corner of my eyes, I see how he tilts his head to stare at me, his gaze so intense that it makes me feel hot all of a sudden. I wish he'd stop that. Instead, he raises one hand and as I still wonder what he's up to, he lifts my chin up and practically forces me to meet his eyes, to stare at his face as he stares at mine. And I hold my breath.

Devastatingly beautiful.

I know it's a mistake to look at him, so I usually don't. But once I do like right now, I can't seem to escape. A feeling all too familiar with me. And I suddenly understand what Haemi meant before. Confronting him, one simply had to feel inferior. Worthless. Ugly. Even though I know I'm not ugly at all, just not as pretty as an idol. A no-one. It's depressing. Suddenly, a hand forces my head down so that my nose almost touches the surface of the table, and even then it doesn't let go. A few breaths later, I regain my senses.

"That's exactly why." I mumble, imagining  his lips twitching as he says:

"I see." It almost sounds a bit angry. Almost. Finally a situation he isn't capable of handling so easily? When he lets go of me, we don't exchange another word. He quietly sips his coffee and leaves. I continue my shift.

 

I spend the rest of my free afternoon downtown,  window shopping while knowing I won't ever be able to afford most of the things I find pretty. But I need at least one change of clothes after all of my belongings had been lost in the flames.

 

***

PART I: END


yeah. I updated. I've written this until chapter 7... and then somehow lost the plot because it's been a while. I really want to finish this but don't know if I'm able to. Oh well ~