Ⅰ,Chapter 3

you are my ᴅᴏωɴғᴀʟʟ.

 

CHAPTER 3

(not proofread. As always xD)



 

 

After a long while of talking to some policeman alone, being asked several questions such as 'Do you have a relative you could live with?' or 'have you noticed anything unusual today?', I find myself on the street alone. I've cancelled my evening shift at the cafe, getting a lot of sympathy from colleges, but I could only weakly tell them that I am okay. The empty feeling is still there, swallowing everything, even the sorrow and sadness. Like that, I start to aimlessly wander the streets, it's barely past noon, and I don't know how to spend my day. I should probably search for a place to spend the next night. How was I this happy in the morning? Confused and without any sense of orientation, I don't even give the constant feeling of being watched credit. I've lost everything. And I'm alone. Definitely not a situation I can handle, for I'd never have thought I'd ever experience something like this. Cell phone, money, keys. The latter I won't need anymore. I search my bag for the cell and dial the only number I know by heart.

"Dad? Something terrible happened." I start, sliding down the wall I leaned on, pulling my legs close to my chest. Then I start to retell today's events, leaving out the small detail of a brown haired stranger, and the loving, comforting voice on the other side of the lane is like a trigger making the hot tears flow. I let it all out, though I keep telling my parents that they don't have to come. That I still want to fulfill my dream of studying here- when someone grabs the hand holding onto the phone and simply hangs up. Just like that, and I need a while to grasp the situation and clean my eyes from the tears that blur my vision.

"Please stop crying, noona." I glance upwards to lock eyes with a boy I esteem to be around 7 years old. He's very cute, and just seeing his smiling mouth with the adorable missing tooth makes my face brighten as well. At first. Then I realize that he just took my phone away and that a child like him shouldn't wander around alone. Much less in such a shady neighborhood, I add to that thought, upon taking a close look at my surroundings. I have no idea where I am. Keeping a smile up for the child, I say:

"Hey, give that back, okay? Then we'll go look for your parents together." I have to call back at all costs, or else mom will go crazy and do whatnot silly things. The boy looks at the cell phone, then his grin vanishes, and I flinch as the mobile crumbles in his grab, creating an ugly, screeching sound. He drops the destroyed pieces and his eyes meet mine again. I can only gape at him in disbelief and even more confusion. What he did- how was that even possible?!

"Noona, we won't find my parents." He offers me a hand. "So come with me instead?" I shudder and instinctively back away a bit, observing the boy through widened eyes. This makes no sense at all, this whole day doesn't.

"I can't come with you. I-" Have to go home. Funny, there's no place to go. Today really is filled with too many bad coincidences. Before I can do anything about it, the boy intends to grab my wrist, but I'm able to avoid him. Which is most likely my only way to get out of this, since I don't want to know what would've happened if he'd gotten a hold of me. Remembering what happened to my poor cell phone, I really don't want to find out. Making use of the unexpected action I thought of, I manage to jump onto my feet and speed off before he can hold me back (and seriously, I don't doubt this crazy 7 year old would've been able to). For the first time in my life I regret being bad at sports. Though I suppose it wouldn't really have mattered. I might've turned around three corners when my breath starts running out, but then something causes me to trip, and it surely was no random banana peel. A young girl stares down at me, her face emotionless, reminding me of someone. Well . I crawl away from her, not ready to give up yet, eager to get up and run again, and it's surprising how much a human body can do when in danger. I fight myself onto my feet and am ready to run again, yet this time I don't get far- I bump into someone's chest and would've stumbled if it wasn't for him pulling me close by my waist rather carelessly. I recognize him immediately by that indifferent voice of his, looking at him is impossible anyway.

"Good. It seems like you can keep running." He whispers close to my ear, and I can only nod weakly. His hand finds mine and pulling me with him, we stumble away together, and I can help but feel that I'm dragging him down with me. I'm sure he would've gotten away if it was only him.

"Just escape alone.." I mutter under my breath and it's a wonder that he understands my words.

"That doesn't make sense, who do you think I'm here for?" He leads me through the narrow streets and I believe that we can make it. Because he's with me. And there's just something about him.

 

After  a while of running, which completely exhausted me, he stops and lets me catch my breath. I regain it slowly, but when I do, I look up to spot Daehyun who's casually resting against a wall near me, his eyes closed and a frown on his face. I haven't even opened my mouth to say anything yet and his eyes flash open, scanning me.

"This didn't turn out the way I wanted it to." He declares calmly, and I have to laugh. Though what just happened wasn't funny at all.

"Well it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to either. I mean I've basically..."

"lost everything." He ends my sentence upon noticing that I can't say it. Weird, why does he have such a guilty expression in his eyes? It's not like Daehyun could've know anything. Or is it? I remember him always being one step ahead. Not just of me, but everyone, and everything. To a point it was strange like right now. I wonder why I never noticed. Oh right, I loved him. Daehyun sighs.

"I'm sorry" I'm not sure whether he apologizes out of sympathy or because he really had something to do with it.

"Not like it's your fault." I mutter, no apology will change reality. What happened happened. Point. I straighten my back and glance around, deciding that it's time for me to go and seriously search for a place to stay. Funny, I'm not even giving those creepy kids any further thought. My brain must've been damaged.

"I'll take my leave then. Thanks for helping me." With that, I turn to get out of this neighborhood though I don't exactly know how. Daehyun holds me back. By my shoulder, like when we met for the first time yesterday.

"You don't have a place to stay."

"Thanks for reminding me." I spit, former desperation and sadness having turned to anger. I do know it's not fair to take it out on him, yet I can't help myself. Daehyun doesn't seem to be affected at all. I wonder how he manages to stay so damn calm and unreadable in any situation.

"Can you do something about it then?" I ask, since I'd be stupid to let even the slightest clue that might get me a place to spend the night slide. He thinks for a second, then tells me:

"To your luck, I might." Daehyun walks past me and without him telling me to, I follow. All I want right now is a room just to myself and a soft bed. I don't want to have to worry about anything anymore, and I can't think of any other way to do that than sleeping. It hasn't even been 5 minutes when we arrive in front of a hotel, and I should've expected that, but I'm a bit disappointed nevertheless.

"Sorry to disappoint you." he says, stifling a chuckle. Why won't he just laugh if he finds it funny? "It's not my home, but I often sleep over here. It belongs to ... A friend."

He holds the door open for me and signalizes me to go on in. Alone. I give him a questioning glance, but he doesn't give me an answer, just waits until I step inside. Frustrated, I follow his will and when the door closes behind me, I know that he doesn't accompany me anymore. But I don't have much more time to breed over it, a woman in her late 20ties greets me with a smile on her face.

"Welcome, can I help you?" Nervously, I step closer, examining the friendly woman before me. She looks very tired and thin and has huge bags under her eyes.

"I hope you can - I've been told I could stay here." I decide not to tell her my story since I don't want to remember all over again. She looks at me with that weak smile.

"Of course, this is a hotel. And we're even cheap..." I flinch, I didn't think I'd have to pay since he said he knows the owner. The money I have on me won't be enough even if the rooms are cheap.

"Actually, Daehyun didn't mention money..." I shift my gaze to the ground, feeling embarrassed. How pitiful I must look. I hate being a bother to others, I hate being dependant. Upon hearing his name, the woman's eyes widen for a second, and I'm not sure what to conclude from that. She does seem to know him, but what's their relationship like? Somehow I don't think it's very good.

"Ah- so he sent you. Then, feel free to take room 26." She hands me a key and I notice that her thin fingers are slightly shaking. Before I go to my room, she throws me a look full of sympathy, apology and- fear? Maybe I'm imagining things. I push the door to room 26 open and find myself in a small chamber with nothing but a tiny bathroom and a bed. I don't mind at all. This is heaven regarding my situation. I fall onto the bed that is surprisingly soft and it doesn't take long until I cry myself into a deep, dreamless slumber.

 

 


Here goes chappi 3. Weirdest thing ever. Seriously I have no idea where I'm going with this fic, though I have it written till chappi 8. Don't ever expect it to make sense xD