Leggings 101

♕An Ulzzang's Beauty Diary

22 October 2013

8:42 PM EST

Entry #17 FASHION: Leggings 101

 

Dear Beauty Diary,

                                         Leggings were super popular in the 70's and 80's, and now, they have made a huge comeback. Leggings are now considered a staple piece of clothing. You can wear them with...well, anything. Don't have leggings? Well, then you need to buy some!  

                                       But here's the big question: How in the world am I supposed to style leggings? Can they be worn as pants? Should they be worn as pants? What types of shirts or shoes do I pair them with? Would I even look good in leggings?

Now, don't fret my dears!

applecyanide is here to answer all of your questions.

And if you find yourself styling your leggings wrong, then don't hesitate to correct yourself!

Okay, then. Let's go!

1. Leggings are NOT tights.

Number one rule: NEVER confuse leggings for tights. Don't know the difference? Well, tights are just accidents waiting to happen. Leggings are a much safer bet. Why? Well, let me first go over what tights are. They are sometimes called pantyhose; they usually have a waistband. It's one of the differences between leggings and tights. Leggings do not have waistbands. Tights are also very sheer from the waist to the upper thigh. What does that mean? It means it's extremely see through. Wear tights as pants? Okay, that's you're choice. But when you bend over, and everyone can see your undergarments, tell me, is that what you want? With legging, you're covered. With tights, you're not. As always, it's your choice.

Rule of thumb: If you see some skin poking through, it's either too thin, OR it's just not leggings! (Psst, guess what. They're tights.)

     

Tights                                            Leggings

The point is, tights can never be worn as pants. Leggings, however, can be worn in a similar style as pants. That is, only if it is styled properly.

2. Leggings, however, are tight and figure-hugging.

Because of their elasticity, leggings naturally conform to your body shape. And trust me, leggings are very, very tight, so if you're a bit more self-conscious about your body, especially from the waist down, you might not want to try leggings. If you feel like you can pull it off, then go for it! As an alternative though, you can always simply resort to skinny jeans or slim fit pants. These still offer you a slimmer, leaner cut, but they are definitely not as tight and unrelenting as leggings. You can hide some things with skinny jeans. With leggings, however, it's a lot harder to hide those things. Almost everything shows.

Positives of leggings: Since leggings show off everything, they can really highlight your legs. So if you're especially proud of your legs, then don't be afraid to showcase them. 

3. With leggings, choose tops that go past your bum.

Understand, this does not mean to pick "big", "loose", or "baggy" clothing. Simply choose longer tops. Contrary to common belief, oversized clothing do not make you look skinner. In fact, oversized tops will make you look shapeless and unbalanced–extremely big on the top, extremely small at the bottom–which would be a huge fashion faux pas. To avoid wearing super baggy clothing, try layering pieces instead. Layers will help you look more proportional and even add some more texture to your overall look. You can wear a long-sleeved button-down shirt with  a simpler and slightly shorter V-neck sweater over it. A sweater vest (as pictured below) can do as well. Long cardigans over shorter shirts are another great option. 

     

Layering is fun!

Remember, the top needs to extend past your bum. Mid-thigh would be the shortest. Leggings are really tight. When you walk, no one needs to see uh...you know. Other people don't need an anatomy lesson. Most of us actually prefer not to know how your works.

Also you might want your top to extend past your bum for extra security. Leggings may not be as sheer as tights, but there's always a possibility something may show. Your leggings may be a bit worn, or the fabric may be a bit strecthed. Regardless, you never want to experience such an embarrassing moment. Safest bet? Cover yourself with a longer top.

How to check if the shirt is long enough: Bend over and try to touch your toes. If the top is unable to cover your behind, then it's too short.

Although leggings can really highlight nice legs, you also want to be sure you don't expose too much of yourself. Be sure you wear special underwear to avoid visible lines. Those can be extremely embarrasing as well.

4. Patterned shirts go with plain leggings, and plain shirts go with patterned leggings.

This is a fashion basic. You don't want to be too boring nor do you want to be too overwhelming. Everything must be balanced. If you're going for a more lively top, take it easy on the bottom and vice versa. If you decide to go crazy on both, people won't know where to look. Top or bottom? Top or bottom? Top or bottom? It can make anyone go crazy, and it really is an eye sore.

     

Patterned top                                        Patterned bottom

5. For shoes, anything is virtually possible. Even bring out those crocs if you really want!

Now I'm kidding. No one wants to be seen wearing crocs. They're a fashion disaster. However, leggings are very easy to pair up with shoes. For fall especially, I recommend oxfords, luxe suede ankle boots, lace-up boots, and, well, any type of boots. Have fun!

 

That's all for now, dears.

See ya next time!

From,

applecyanide.