A Lesson for Two

A Look Into Their World

Boram opened the dorm's door and stared at the male. He greeted her and asked for Eunjung, and she would have let him in if he didn't pet her head. "Why?" She asked, straightening her posture and trying her best to look bored. "She wants me to help brush up her Japanese. Is she here?" He asked, then pushed his way in. Boram stared at him in disbelif, sure he came to the dorm time to time but that didn't give him the right to just barge in. "Hey, she isn't here you know." She said, trying her best to catch up to him before he could reach her groupmate's room.

 

Junsu looked at her then the door. "Why can't I enter her room and wait for her?" He asked, smiling when Boram rambled about him might mess up Eunjung's orderly room and get her in trouble. He nodded and went into the living room. Boram followed him, on his heels the whole time and stood awkwardly when he sat down. 'Do I offer him a drink?' or 'Ask how was his day?' She wondered, she wasn't used to entertaining guests alone. "No, I should ask if he is ok with waiting." She mumbled, rubbing her thumb on her lip. A habit she had when she goes into deep thought. "I am ok with waiting." Junsu said, holding back a laugh when Boram looked at him wide eyed.

"Are you psyhic?" She asked, seriousness obvious in her tone. He told her no , smiling at her disbeleiving look. "Since Eunjung is taking so long I will just teach you until she comes." Junsu said, playfully patting the seat next to him. Boram shook her head, denying that she needed help with Japanese. "I have seen your Japanese apperances you know." He said, smiling at her now embarassed face. Junsu continued to playfully pat the cushion until Boram slowly walked to sit next to him. 'I will prove to him I know Japanese and leave quickly.' She told herself, eyes full of determination for this challenge. Junsu opened the textbook and handed it to her.

 

"Read and translate." He said, smiling with a slight smug effect. Boram cleared and took the book from her. "Watashi wa....tsu-suka...remashia." she read aloud slowly, scowling at how the words didn't flow out as smoothly as she would have liked. "Slow down and sound it out." Junsu said. He wanted to smile at how she was trying even when she didn't originally wanted to. But he didn't want her to think that he might have been laughing at her. "You missed a letter, it's 'tsukaremaa'." Junsu said, giving her a hint after she stumbled over the word a third time.

Boram nodded and tried to pronouse the word again. She smiled shyly when Junsu complimented her on getting it. "Now something harder." She said, flipping through the textbook's pages quickly. She stopped when she reached the sixth grade level sentences and structues. "Are you sure?" Junsu asked, he now wonder if this is what his tutor felt. When he got cocky after learning a first grade sentence and wanting to jump right to high school level. Boram nodded and shoved the book to him. Asking him to pick the perfect thing to translate. Junsu took the book from her and read a few of the chapter's poems and stories.

 

"Kaguya...Mirror of Matsuyama..Here is something. A story about the famous Futakuchi-onna. Perfect for you." Junsu said. Boram looked over his shoulder and playfully punched him. "Yah, she has a mouth in the back of her head. How is she like me?" Boram asked him, cushion in hand ready to strike him. Junsu looked around smiling everywhere but her. "Because I never seen you eat but I always hear about how you eat enough for two at times." he explained, laughing as he tried to dodge her strikes.

"Ok, how about this one?" Junsu asked. He flipped back to a story he passed on and handed her the book. Boram scowled, there was no picture and all there was were words. "Cheater." She said, and tried to pick out the few Japanese words she knew. "Ttsooruu no Ongeshi" she read the title out loud. She realized she must have read the title wrong when Junsu covered a grin. "What is it that bad?" She asked, pouting and ignoring him correct her and tell her the proper title, 'Tsuru no Ongaeshi'. "It is the perfect story that fits you." Junsu said simply then looked at his watch. "I have to go. Tell Eunjung that I will come next week." Junsu said quickly gathering his things.

Boram just stared at him blankly and unknowingly followed him around as he did this. "What about teaching me?", "Are you going to finish?", "Why is this story perfect?" She asked him as she followed him. Junsu his heels once he reached the door. "Lets make a deal. You tell me the story next week and I will explain it." He said smiling at how he could easily invision her debating over the deal. "Deal." She said, nodding her head firmly.

----

 

All week Boram focused on the text. The other members thought it was a sight to see since she was usually the lazy member. "Hyomin, Soyeon. What is this word/phrase/character in Korean?" Was a common question that week. Boram was utilizing the two members who had a better grasp of Japanese to help her. Though she really didn't understand why she was putting so much effort into working on this.

She could have easily looked up a translation online and be done with it. 'Curiousity.' Was her first guess until mid week when she found herself still looking at the textbook on their midnight flight to Japan. 'Maybe I want to see what face he will make when he sees how much I did on my own?' She wondered. It wasn't til the day before the due date that she realized why she worked so hard. She wanted to see how he saw her. Now that she read the story over thirty times she came up with hundreds of ways he could put her into it. Some weren't positive and others were boring. 'What do you think of me....' she wondered as she went to sleep that night.

-----

 

Boram stared at Junsu as he read over her notes. She worried if he could read her handwritting or if she missed the point of the story all together. "Well?" she asked. Junsu looked up at her than at her nervousily fiddling her fingers. "You did a great job in translating this." He said smiling along with the beaming Boram. The older female snapped out of her joy than remembered his part of the deal. "Well? What makes this story like me?" She asked him. Junsu rolled his eyes playfully at her before answering.

"I am surprise you didn't it easily. Do you remember the first few times we met?" He asked her. Boram shook her head, she really wasn't the best when it came to remembering things. "You used to always dissappear every time Eunjung invited Taecyeon, Wooyoung and me over. But you would still try your best to make us all comfortable. Even though it was out of your way." Junsu started, leaning back on the sofa to get comfortable. "You would buy food and drinks and leave it for us. So the other members didn't have to leave the conversations and fun." Boram gave him a confused look, she remembered some of what he said but she didn't understand how he knew it was her doing this.

"Don't look at me like that. It was obvious it was you since you hid in your room when I thanked you for the food a few times. Then you would ignore me as if I was dieased and when you thought I wasn't looking you would peak at me. Or would 'somehow' find yourself sitting next to me during our outings." He said, smiling cockily at the last part. "There was also the time we both wore a blue striped shirt at the same time as airport fashion during that concert in Japan." He added laughing at the memory.

"That last thing was just luck so don't add it into play. And so was the outing thing." Boram listed, stammering at how she didn't realize those things actually happened and feeling embarassed because of it. "What do those have to do with the story?" She asked him, trying to bring him back to focus. When he turned his grin to her she felt her heart skip a beat, 'I am just surprised.' She concluded then hit him for 'surprising' her. "Why did the crane sought out and help the old couple?" He asked her. "Because she wanted to repay them for helping her. And she wanted to make them happy." Boram answered, she felt the 'surprised' feeling again come when he nodded.

 

"And....I want you to know I am happy you noticed me enough to seek me out at times." She added in a whisper. Boram rose her head when she felt him pet her. "Stop that I will grow shorter if you keep it up." She complained though smilied shyly when he laughed at her logic. "Well if it keeps you from disappearing from my side I don't mind if the side effect is a stunt in growth." He said once the laughter died down. Boram felt her face redden and her heart skip a beat because of his words.

 

"That crane should have stayed behind. Getting found out is a nice feeling." She whispered in a voice too low for him to hear.