Outside Looking In

A Look Into Their World

Jiyeon groaned to herself. 'Looks like it is the Jieun show again today.' She told herself, watching the cast form around the 'maknae' castmate. Jiyeon glared spitefully at her. She wasn't even the youngest there but everyone adored her and chose to ignore the fact that Jiyeon was sitting alone.

It has been like this since the show, Heroes started. IU was in the popular group and she in the unpopular one. IU was mature and wise for her age while she was immature and a pig. "It isn't my fault I liked the pasta." Jiyeon mumbled remember the last food challenge they had. It also wasn't it her fault that she couldn't keep up the 'soft' girl image for too long. Jiyeon sighed, upset she forgot to tell her manager to bring her closer to the meeting time. "If you keep sighing you will get wrinkles." Seo InYoung said from her side. Jiyeon looked up to see the older idol, dressed fashionably as ever with a an americano in her hand. "InYoung you are late!" Hongchul yelled at her.

InYoung ignored him and continued staring at Jiyeon. "Yah, don't look like that. You will double your body's age if you keep it up." She said cooly, taking a drink of her coffee. "Jinjja?" Jiyeon asked her, quickily rubbing the space between her brows. "Who are you glaring at anyway?" Inyoung asked, crouching to Jiyeon's level to see who. "IU?" She asked after eleminating the obvious. Jiyeon nodded, InYoung gave a questioning look than tsked to herself. "Unnie, you don't understand. She is always in the center." Jiyeon said, trying to explain her thoughts. She gave up when she couldn't find a way to describe it without coming off as immature. She kicked her legs stubbornly in defeat, as if this was a way to punish her brain for not being prepared with the correct words. "Then drag them to you. Force yourself to be the center." InYoung said as if this was obvious. "Eat the camera."

Jiyeon sighed loudly, not wanting to continue then pointed to InYoung's drink. "What you want this?" She asked, when Jiyeon nodded InYoung laughed at called her a glutton. She handed the younger female her drank just as Kahi came to gather them to join the others. "Time to start the IU show." Jiyeon said, InYoung shook her head. "Stop being so moody. It doesn't fit for you like it does Suah." She said making Jiyeon laugh. "I hope we make the popular team this week. I am promoting our new song so it sound help." Jiyeon said and made the fighting sign.

Sadily her wish didn't come true. She was ranked seventh with InYoung being sixth she was happy to have her sole friend on set on her team. "We are together unnie!" Jiyeon said cutely, latching onto InYoung's arm. She shorter female was in an arguement over if this poll was counted properly. When Jiyeon grabbed onto her she just nodded and allowed herself to be dragged to their usual team. "We have our city girl duo." Gaeun said, clapping for them when they joined them. "What is the challenge this week?" Jin asked Hongchul. The MC explained that their mission was to run a restraunt and try to earn the most funds.

The day was going hectic, trying to handle all the customers properly. Jiyeon trailed behind InYoung at first, mimicing her behavior and teasingly calling the smaller female cute. Jiyeon felt proud of her Unnie, she seemed like a huge force in a tiny body. Not willing to back down or force herself to change for anyone. "Jiyeon, it is time for our break." She said, making the younger female stop wiping tables and run into the kitchen. "Jiyeon?!" InYoung yelled and sluggishly followed her. She laughed at what she came into. Jiyeon was asking Kahi and Jin to scoop the leftovers from the lunch rush into a plate for her. The female cast laughed and called her Dino. Jiyeon was quickly devouring the food and was humming happily to herself.

"Jiyeon is it good?" Narsha asked her, she squealed and called Jiyeon cute when she nodded with a grin plastered on her face. "We feed her too much." Gaeun said coming in to join them. Kahi defended this, explaining that feeding her was better than her sneaking food again. The group turned to Jiyeon who looked up from her food. Obviously not paying attention to the conversations around her. "See with leftover food she is in one place and our main supply is safe." Kahi said. Jiyeon shurgged and carried her plate into a corner in the dining area. But not before checking on the tonkatsu side to see if they had leftovers as well.

"The bright side to this job is the food." She said to herself. She pulled out her cell phone to text Luna during the break and her meal. Jiyeon laughed loudly to a joke Luna texted her, she noticed some movement out the corner of her eye and stopped laughing. IU was sitting at the table across from her eatting from one of the staff supplied lunchboxes. 'When did she get there?' She wondered. Jiyeon took her attention back to her food, not caring that she was no longer alone. "Can I join you?" She heard IU asked. Jiyeon didn't look up, figuring that she was talking to Inna or Bongsun who were at tables around them. "Um...Jiyeon-ssi?" This made her look up.

Jiyeon raised a brow, she didn't understand why IU, the person who had little to do with her, was standing before her. "Neh?" Jiyeon asked, still in a daze at what was happening. "Can I sit by you?" IU repeated. Jiyeon nodded, IU smiled brightly and happily took the seat across from her. The two sat in awkward silence, IU tried to think of a conversation starter while Jiyeon ate in silence. Seemingly not bothered by the silence. "Aish, it is so hard to think of something to say." IU said, shyly laughing as she stabbed into a cherry tomato. Jiyeon nodded, staring at her still wondering what was going on. "We are the same age, I mean you are my unnie, but we should have an easier time talking to each other." IU rambled, confussed why it wasn't as easy as she planned.

"I am not your unnie." Jiyeon stated. "I know we aren't close but isn't that harsh?" IU asked with wide eyes. "What? No, I meant you are MY unnie. You are older." Jiyeon clarrified making IU embarassed by her speedy response. "Oh? I didn't know. You don't seem younger." IU said, Jiyeon shurgged. "Maybe because the others don't baby you." IU continued. This got a reaction out of Jiyeon. "You aren't supposed to say things like that." Jiyeon said, pointing her fork at her as if she found the biggest news. "You are supposed to be like this." Jiyeon said, pausing to do agyeo and act shy. IU laughed at her impression of her. "If I am that then this is you." IU said and hurriedly stuffed the items in her lunchbox into .

Jiyeon laughed and said even she doesn't eat that fast. "But you are lucky. If I ate like that people would go crazy." IU sighed. Jiyeon thought about it and realized she never really saw IU eat more then a bowl full of food, and even then she would pause and eat mannerly. "Then sneak food." Jiyeon said, an odd feeling of pride came to her when IU began to ask her how. "Why not ask them to feed you? They would line up to." Jiyeon finally said when all her strategies she listed had problems working for the older female. IU sighed loudly. "That would make them see me as even more of a child. You are around InYoung-unnie so you both give off the cool yet charming image. Me, I have the child-like cuteness image." IU explained, she laughed when Jiyeon accused her of bragging about her popularity.

Jiyeon thought on this information then frowned. She would die if she had to pretend to act cute all the time, espically when she had tomboyish like tendencies. 'If being in the center means that then forget it.' She concluded. She was going to ask IU more on this when Sayeon entered the restraunt signaling that the break was over. IU weakly shrugged and left the booth first. Jiyeon carried her plate to the kitchen and rejoined her team. The dinner rush was just as hectic but the waitresses were working in shifts. "InYoung and Jiyeon five minute break." Hongchul said when the flow started to slow down. The two idols walked to the back rest area, groaning loudly when the door shut behind them. "I saw you were sitting with IU." InYoung said right away. Jiyeon nodded, although she half convenced herself it never happened.

"She wanted to eat lunch with me." Jiyeon explained. "Well it is good for you. It would be good for you to have a same age friend on set." InYoung said, she rolled her eyes when Jiyeon said she was happy with just her. "You could be good for each other." InYoung continued. "How?" Jiyeon asked, rubbing her now sore shoulders. "Well, she could make you seem easier to talk to for other and you can make her seem less like a kid and more like a teenage girl." InYoung said, Jiyeon called her wise, earning her rolled eyes. "You two would make good friends though. It must be as lonely for her as it is you. Maybe more because she doesn't have an amazing unnie like me." Jiyeon smiled and pointed out that InYoung just admitted to wanting to be Jiyeon's unnie.

"Shut up." InYoung said, getting up to leave. "Unnie." Jiyeon said cutely, hopping as she followed her. The rest of the shift Jiyeon's eyes followed IU as she worked. 'She seems to always be surrounded by people so maybe unnie is wrong.' She told herself. IU was smiling and joking with everyone. Pausing for pictures or to preform an agyeo request often. During the end of the dinner rush did she see what she meant. Although just a few minutes ago IU was happily surrounded by people now she was alone. Clearing tables, while the rest of her team did the same they were still joking with their teammates. "Unnie." Jiyeon said. InYoung looked up, setting down the small bin filled with dirty cups.

"Why isn't no one near her?" She whispered. InYoung glanced at the other maknae before answering, "She is hard to talk to because of her image. People worry they might say something that would offend or embarass her." InYoung explained. Jiyeon nodded once she processed this information. "Unnie would it be ok to..." she asked, nodding her head to the other team's area. InYoung sighed, "I spoil you too easily." She said but allowed her to go. Jiyeon thanked her then walked to IU. "Wow, you clean horribly." She said making IU jump from surprise. "You can do better?" IU asked, hitting her with the damp rag, smiling at Jiyeon's fake shocked expression.

"Looks like you need a unnie. And since you seemed sooo needy." Jiyeon said, balancing on the balls of her feet. IU laughed, "Since when was I needy? And I thought I was older." She asked. Jiyeon waved her off, "Minor details." She said as she started to help IU wipe the tables. She almost missed IU whispering a thank you. "Welcome." Jiyeon said, hiding her smile.

Maybe someday they could become as close friends she wondered. "The two lonely maknaes finally talk." Jiyeon whispered now in a low voice that only she could hear.