Rather Be

A Look Into Their World

Boram waited in the corner of the restraunt. What was she doing just sitting her on a perfect day off? Her boyfriend planned some 'surprise' for her birthday. "Where are you Mino?" she wondered and tapped the table, unknowingly making the rhythem to Good Person. 'Why do I get myself so worked up when he is late?' She wondered to herself. Remembering the last date he was late for, a week ago to be exact. He said practice ran later than expected. "I miss those days." she found herself mumbling, missing the need to beg for free time. Now, it seemed like something they got without even having to look for some. Boram glanced up and saw Mino finally entering the restraunt. He stopped to talk to a female, laughing at something she said. 'He looks like he is having fun.' She said to herself. Boram felf herself smiling as well when she saw a slight dimple appear on his face. Quickly, she straighted her appearance up, fixing her bun and bangs. "Hey there Noona." Mino said sliding into the booth. "Late." Boram said, pretending to be upset with him. "I am sorry. Youngbae-sunbae wanted to give me some input on our comeback album." Mino said, giving her a small smile of apology. Boram rolled her eyes, "Whatever, be lucky you are cute." She laughed, she tried to reach across the table to touch his hand when he suddenly retracted.

"Sorry." Mino said quickly, "I have to go to the bathroom." He got up before she could say anything, speed walking to the restroom. "What is his hurry?" she wondered. Boram looked down and saw he forgot his phone. 'I wonder if he has AniPang.' she typed in his password, looking for the famous Kakaotalk game. His phone binged in a new message. Boram made a curious sound, 'I shouldn't.' she told herself. She exited out the messager app and went back to looking for the game. Another message came in. 'What if it has something to do with my birthday? or worse it is urgent.' she wondered, giving up and openning the messager app. "He might have to hurry back to practice." She hoped that wasn't so. Boram read the text.

'Hey Hoho, text me back when you know you can make it - Dasom'

"He has plans to go somewhere later?" Boram asked no in particular, She read the text that came after it.

'Don't forget to my shirt I left over there - Dasom'

At this Boram felt the world around her pause. 'What?' she wondered. Her thumb shook as she comtenplated strolling up to see more text messages. 'I trust him.' she told herself as she looked at more of his text messages. There were so many from this Dasom. Her calling him 'Hoho', cutie and more names. But what made it hard for her to breath was his response. He was calling her aein and angel. He even started one of his conversations to her with 'hello beautiful'. Boram felt water began to well up in her eyes. 'When did he ever call be beautiful?' she wondered. Looking at more texts, she read how he bought her gifts and took her out places. Did things that he was usually too broke to do with her. 'He treats her so well.' Boram thought to herself. She felt so odd reading these texts. They seemed like texts that were shared between lovers. But here she was. His lover who felt that she was on the outside looking it. She. She felt jealous. But why was she feeling this way? 'I am his girlfriend.' she told herself. She was dating someone who seemed, in her eyes, so far out of her league.

He treats me so well. Boram thought back on how he would drive her anywhere she could ask, take her out to get food at any hour. How he would buy her gifts.... The more Boram thought of this the more she realized there might be something wrong. Sure he drove her places, but she was the one who paid for the gas. He would take her to get food but she would buy him food. The last time he paid for a date was....a month ago? 'That can't be right.' She told herself. Boram turned off the phone and set it back where she found it. Even though the phone was turned off, the thoughts of what she saw still played in her mind. "He loves Dasom." she whispered. She felt her heart start to break. "I am....What am I then?" She whispered. Boram covered and hurried out the restraunt.

She didn't want him to see her this way.

She didin't want him to know she peaked at his personal text messages.

The worst part is, that even as she saw signs of herself being just some other woman, she didn't want to let him go.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A week has passed since then. Boram sat on her couch eating gelato and watching Replay 1997. "Don't go to her. You aren't the one she is truly in loved with." Boram said absentmindedly to the television. "Unnie." Jiyeon called to her. The older female glanced at the maknae. The group of females were worried about their oldest member. After her date with Mino she ran right into her room, not coming out until the next day. When she did she was unusally quiet, she was even cleaning up her messes. "What is it Dino?" Boram said, looking at her. "Are you sure you are ok? Do I need to beat someone up?" Jiyeon asked, playfully reading her fist to show she was serious. Boram laughed at her stance and told her it was ok.  "If you need to talk-----" Jiyeon started to say when the door rang. "Who is that?" She said instead and went to the door. "Oh Mino!" Jiyeon said from the doorway. Boram sat up, and quickly tried to move to her room. "No you don't." Mino shouted, running into the room, capturing Boram in her blankets.

"Dino-ya help me!" Boram screamed, Jiyeon bowed her head in apology and ran out giggling. The sight of Boram wrapped in a blanket burrito made her laugh. "Why are you ignoring me?" Mino asked her. Boram puffed her cheeks and remained silent. "I am serious love. Tell me." Mino pleaded. "Don't call me nicknames that you call her!" Boram shouted. Mino froze, "What?" he asked her. "Don't call me nicknames that you call your ex-girlfriend. Don't act like you love me when we both know that isn't true." She said quickly. "What do you mean?" Mino asked her, he turnt her around to look at him. "What do you mean when you  say I don't love you?" He cried, holding her face so she wouldn't be able to turn from him. Boram felt his eyes on her as she tried to not meet his eyes.

"You. You don't love me." Boram whispered slowly. When he didn't say anything she began to think that she was correct. "Boram-ya." He said, she looked at him now. He actually looked angry at her. "Do you really think that?" He asked her, hurt coming to his eyes when she nodded yes. "Boram, why do you think that?" He asked her. It was then that she told him what she read from his phone. When she finished tears were running down her eyes and she was having trouble breathing. "I just, I don't know what else to think. You treat her so well and now. I just don't know what to think." Mino silently listened to her and when she was done he held her close. "Boram, I know what you think. And I can honestly tell you you are wrong." Mino said petting her head. "I know what you feel you read but i can tell you that Dasom is not someone I love. You are my girlfriend. You are the one that I love. She is a close friend of mine and nothing else." He started, pulling her small body closer to him. "Boram, you make me mad you know that. When I couldn't contact you for a week I couldn't think. I didn't have someone who would laugh at my weak humor, I love my drive on writing music. The guys are getting sick of sad love songs. I need to write brighter side of life music." Boram listened to him and kissed his cheek.

"She is my past. I know it is odd that I am close to her, but we were friends before we dated. And we are firends now. But I need you to trust my words. I love you and you are the only one for me Noona." He finished. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boram stood outside the movie theaters, waiting for Mino to come. She arrived a few minutes early to beat the rush. Since their talk she told him all the things she disliked about the relationship. And he told her things he didn't like. Where she worried about him having a wondering eye, He told her that he felt she seemed bored at times That he worried that she would leave him for someone who could afford to treat her well, who was older than her. Someone who would be ready to settle down and leave the idol lifesyle when she is. "He has five more minutes." Boram said, glancing at her watch. "Jagi." a voice said from behind her. She smiled and felt warm arms wrap around her waist. "I made it." Mino said kissing the back of her head.