Five

The Girl and the Death

“Hey, Jinah-yah! Jinah-yah!”

“What is it, Gain-Unnie?” Jinah asked from behind the counter while preparing a flower bouquet.

The older women quickly walked over to her, grabbed Jinah by the arm and dragged her to the shop’s entrance. “Look!” Gain pointed at a man who was standing on the sidewalk and looking at the flowers in front of the shop. “He is here again!”

A smile immediately appeared on Jinah’s lips. “Hero-shi!” Gain chuckled. “I know he rescued you and all but… you really call him Hero-shi?”

“I think it fits him. Since I don’t know his name, I call him like that.” Jinah explained while observing the man. The past days she had seen him around the shop again and again. To make she hadn’t just imagined it, she had told Gain to check if he really was standing there.

“Okay, I’ll go over to him now.” Jinah said confidently.

“Go, get him!” The older woman cheered her on, as Jinah walked towards the man.

Taking a deep breath, she put on a bright smile. “Hello!”

The man suddenly seemed to stiffen, just as if she’d pulled him out of a daydream. She noticed his lips forming a word silently, before he looked at her. “Hello.”

“It’s nice seeing you again. How have you been?”

“Yeah….” He answered slowly before mumbling “I’ll go now.” And walking away.

“Hey, wait!” The woman quickly followed him and grabbed his arm to stop him. Again, he stiffened.

“I… the plant I wanted to give you last time! It’s well again. Come on.” Dragging him back to the shop, she led him inside.

Her hero surprisingly seemed to follow her willingly. “Just wait one moment, okay?” She told him with a wink before disappearing into one room in the back. A few seconds later she came back with the lavender from back then in her hands.

It looked as lively as before. Jinah noticed the frown on the man’s face. “You are surprised aren’t you? Well, didn’t I tell you? There still was still life in it. A bit care and it was blooming again.”

She handed it over to him. “So this time for real: thank you, Hero-shi!”

The man took it from her, although he was a bit hesitant.

“And…” Jinah then began and grinned widely at him. “I noticed you’ve been around the shop a lot lately. Why didn’t you just come in?” She chuckled. “Can it be that you are the shy type?”

He was still silent but in his eyes was slight hint of shock. Jinah smiled at him encouragingly. “It’s okay to be a little bit shy. Don’t worry about it. And that’s why I’ll just take the initiative. How about a date?”

Now the man’s expression changed to surprise and he raised his brow lightly. “Date?”

“Yes, a date. I know, we’ve just met each other for two times, but I’m really curious about you. I’d be nice getting to know you better.”

She looked at him expectantly. Hopefully he’d say yes.

Silently he just looked at her and to her it felt like eternity until he finally answered. “Okay.”

“Really? Great! Okay, uhm… let’s just meet here on Friday. Around… 8pm?” Since he didn’t object to it, she took it as a ‘yes’.

“Well, okay. I’ll see you on Friday then. And take care of the plant!” And with that said she went back into the shop, smiling brightly and squealing happily.

 


 

Left behind with the small plant in his hands, Jaejoong watched the woman disappearing in the shop again.

He could feel the happy vibes of hers. He didn’t feel bad or anything but she probably wouldn’t be that happy about the date if she’d knew the reason behind him saying yes.

The plant in his hands had already started to wilt again. Slowly he set off for home. The lavender’s colours faded away with every step he took, its leaves fell onto the soil and it began to die. The only thing that was left was its scent which didn’t lose its intensity.

Without know what to do with it, he decided to keep it.

Somehow it seemed to refuse to be thrown away from him…