Two

The Girl and the Death

It was as sudden as always that he felt this kind of hunger. He could feel himself slowly getting goosebumps and his fingers began to itch in anticipation. One ought to think that after all this time he’d finally adjust to the feeling and would be able to control it, but his body seemed to be stronger than his mind in this case.

Fortunately it was already late, it would be easier for him this way to find himself a chance.

His eyes wandered continuously over the faces of the people, before he disappeared into a deserted side street.

In all the years of experience, he had learned how to stay undiscovered.

Suddenly a pleasant smell reached his nose. It was sweet and made him shiver. A grin appeared on his lips and he went into the smells direction.

He could sense the person coming closer and the next moment, a woman bumped right into him. Instinctively he grabbed her wrist, preventing her from falling. The woman yelled out in surprise and looked up to him with big round eyes. He had to keep himself from his lips as he breathed in the wonderful smell, that came from the woman.

The smell of fear.

“Yah! That lady’s ours!” Indifferently the man looked up to see the three followers standing a few meters away. The woman also turned around and began to shiver. “Please! You have to help me!” Her voice was shaky and low, full of desperation. Just like music in his ears.

The three men slowly came closer, one of them had gotten himself a pipe. “Please!”, the woman pleaded again. He glanced at her slightly and her smell immediately clouded his mind again. Over all the sweetness of fear, he almost didn’t notice. Something was strange about that woman. Due to the intense smell, he wasn’t able to think clearly. How long had it been since the last time, he had longed for a person that much?

His grip around the woman’s wrist got a bit tighter, making her widen her eyes as suddenly one of the men threw his fist at the blue eyed man. Pushing the woman aside, he parried the punch easily. “I guess, I’ll take you first.”

Dealing with those drunk men was no challange for him. It didn’t even took him two minutes to knock all of them out. He looked at the unconscious men and his lips. The small strands of energy, only he could see, slowly leaked out of them. Taking a step closer, he took in a deep breath and absorbed the flow of energy.

As the flow dwindled, he felt refreshed. “That’s what I had needed.” His hunger was gone and his senses had returned. But with his hunger and the energy of the men something else was gone.

The woman.