A Stranger

You Were My Bestfriend

 

 

The rest of the days that week, we always sat together in the cafeteria. Though it was because Nari dragged me away, but I didn’t really mind since I felt comfortable with them. Beside five of them, me, and Nari, Hyukjae was with his girlfriend, or one of his girlfriends, named Tiffany. I noticed that the other guys like to about Hyukjae’s playfulness, and it was really funny. Like this time.

“Fany, do you know Hyukjae dated his colleague at the coffee shop?” Shindong said.

“What? No..” Hyukjae got panicked as he looked at Tiffany glaring at him. “You know he’s kidding, right?”

“No, it’s true,” Donghae joined in, “When I called you, you said not to disturb you because you were in the middle of dating with..”

“Yah! What are you saying? She will think it’s true.” Hyukjae protested.

“It’s true.” Donghae said matter-of-factly.

“What the..,” Hyukjae sighed and turned his head to Tiffany, “Look. It’s not a date at all. I- I just took her home.. sometimes.. because..”

“Just took her home?” Tiffany frowned.

“Yeah, I mean.. it was already late, so.. how could I let a pretty girl go home alone?”

“See?” Kyuhyun pointed at him. “He said ‘pretty girl’. You got caught! Haha..” He laughed, satisfied.

“I knew it. You can’t stop flirt every girl, can you?” Tiffany said calmly, but her red face could not hide her rage.

“Yeah, right. Even yesterday he.. Ouch!” Donghae looked in pain. Seems Hyukjae kicked his foot.

Tiffany continued her meal while glaring at the table, letting her hair cover her side face from Hyukjae. He tilted his head to her and tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Fany-yah~,” he called her name with full of aegyo, “Don’t be mad.”

“I’m not,” she answered coldly, “Why should I? I’m even not your girlfriend.”

“Hey, why do you say that? You how I feel about you.” He said as ruffling her hair fondly. She rolled her eyes but a bit relaxed. “You’re so cute when you’re jealous.”

 Tiffany couldn’t hold back her smile. Hyukjae mirrored her smile that looked so sincere, then put his hand around her shoulder. I almost thought that he really liked her. Well, maybe he did. Yet he liked the other girls too.

Then I realized that I gave my attention to him a bit too much.

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday. If usually people like this day, but I didn’t. I didn’t like being home because it was lonely. In such a huge house, I just lived alone with my father and a housemaid, and most of the times the former was not home. So, basically I was alone.  Thus, I had decided to take a part time job just to kill time on the weekend.  

It was my first week and my second day. I had done a few jobs before but none of them survived more than two weeks. I wasn’t really good at serving people such as in coffee shop something like that. I had broken glasses and last time I spilled the entire cup of coffee on a customer’s lap. But I hoped this time I wouldn’t mess up anything because it was not an usual time job. I worked at an amusement park. They need more employees on weekends so I just took it. Yes, I have to start and stop the ride, explain the rules of the ride, or measure guests’ heights. But I enjoyed it rather than watching television alone in my house.

It was already 5 p.m., only two hours left. Right then, I stood by on the side of the pool for a ride named water electric bumper cart, fastening the guests seatbelt to make sure they were safely strapped in. When I turned my body for the next riders, I saw someone familiar.

“Hyukjae,” I called him as he passed the entrance. Our eyes met and he looked surprised for a second.  I was about to wave at him, but surprisingly he grabbed a hand of a girl beside him. He was going to make his way to th exit door before the girl stopped him.

 “Where are you going?” she protested.

Hyukjae argued that he didn’t want to take the ride because it was too childish. They kept arguing until I decided to approach them. “Hey,” I greeted the boy.

He let out a frustrated sigh before turned his body to me. I grinned mischievously and he knew he was in trouble. “Hey, what are you doing here?”

I showed him my nametag on my uniform. “Working.”

 The girl looked at me and looked back at him and asked, “Do you know her?”

He gave me a cynical smile which I replied with a smirk. “Yeah,” he cleared his throat, “Bora, this is Nurin. Nurin, this is Bora.”

 I thought I had seen her at school. We shook hands. “Hi, are you his sister?”

“No, why?”

“Oh, Sorry.” I frowned, pretending to be confused,  “You both come alone?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged, “like you see.”

“Oh.”

“What’s wrong?” Bora asked curiously.

I shook my head, “Nothing.” I looked at Hyukjae who was glaring at me. “I just wonder.. why you don’t come with your girlfriend?” I asked Hyukjae.

She raised his eyebrows, “You have a girlfriend?”

“Of course, not. Nurin, you must have been mistaken.” He laughed nervously.

“What mistaken? Did you always with Tiff..,” my words was muffled by his hand covering my mouth. I tried to slap his hand, but he just put more strength on his hand and moved his body forward, making me back away. Our body swayed unstably, and the next thing I knew was my right foot didn’t find any ground to step. Then my body fell into the cold water along with his.

I fluttered my both arms and legs in panic, trying to keep my head out of water so that I still could breathe. After a couple of seconds, I barely noticed Hyukjae beside me, standing firmly although his clothes was soaked, gave me a judging look. Then I realized that the water was only waist-deep.

I immediately stood up. Instead of helping me, he just shook his head and walked away to climb into ground. I followed him, my teeth chattering because of the wind blowing over my wet skin. But more than that, everyone was watching us. Ugh, this is really embarrassing.   

My co-worker gave me and him towel to dry ourselves. I put off my soaked jacket and wrapped the towel over my shoulder, covering my body. Bora helped him but I noticed that she winced and flinched her body a bit while wiped his face because our smell was not good at all. I could hear him cursing under his breath.

“I will change my clothes. Do you want to come?” I asked Hyukjae.

“Bora-yah, I must change my clothes.” He said to the girl.

“Eh, Hyukjae. Is it okay if I just go home now?”

“Oh, okay. Are you okay going home alone?”

“Sure.”

“Be careful, then.”

After their separation, the boy approached me with gloomy expression. I’d really like to , “She must be very ashamed of you.”

He groaned, “There’s always something bad happen when I meet you.”

“What?! You’re not the only one who is drenched from head to toe.” I bicker. “Moreover, it is your fault.”

“How is it my fault?” He replied.

“If you didn’t push me we wouldn’t have fallen into the water.”

“It’s because you.. Never mind!” he stopped himself, maybe he didn’t want to bring it up to prevent me from teasing him even more.

 

We walked to the employee room, ignoring some pair of eyes that watched us.

“Wait here,” I said when we were in front of changing room door, “I will get a cloth for you.” He nodded.

I walked into the changing room and grab my bag from my locker. I change my wet uniform with the clothes I had worn when I came here this morning. Fortunately, I brought an extra t-shirt and it was a bit large.

I was about to give the t-shirt to the boy who was waiting outside. But what I saw when I opened the door made me scream and instinctively cover my face with my hands. Hyukjae was hanging his t-shirt and jacket on one of the chairs. Yes, he was topless.

He turned his head to me, “Why are you screaming?”

“Yah! Why are you not wearing your clothes?” I kept shouting, “It’s a public place.”

“They are wet. I can’t wear them.” He said matter-of-factly. “Hey,” he chuckled, “What’s the point of covering you face if you peek between your finger?”

But it was the point I covered my face because right now my face must be really red. He was right. Though I was embarrassed but I couldn’t stop staring at his perfect abs. I swear to God he has a pretty body.

I hushed away my thought. “Take this.” I extended my arm that was holding my t-shirt, while the other one still covering my eyes.

Hyukjae walked to take the t-shirt from me, but before he came closer i threw it to his face. “Here.

He grumbled before disclosed the t-shirt. “What is it? It’s a girl’s t-shirt.” He exclaimed.

“Yes. It’s mine, and I am a girl,”I said, “Better you wear it now before you catch a cold.”

He sighed,”Okay, I’m done.”

I opened my  eyes, and burst into laughter when I looked at him. The t-shirt only covered his body until his navel, and although he was skinny but still the T-shirt was too small for him.

“Wae?! It’s you who give this to me.” He protested.

“I’m sorry,” but I couldn’t stop laughing until tears welled up in my eyes. “You look really good.”

“Shut up!”

 

Luckily there was washing machine for costumes here, and it has dryer. So I use it to dry our clothes. We had to wait for a while until they were completely dried. He inevitably took off his jeans because it was also wet, and now his lower body was wrapped by towel.

“How long have you been working here?” He asked after a silent awkward moment when we sat together on the chair.

“Two days,” I answered, “And I think it is my last day.”

He frowned, “Why?”

“Do you think I can show my face after that incident?”

“You quit just because you feel embarrassed? It’s not easy to find a new job, you know?” He asked curiously. “Hmm.. I bet you work not for money?”

I nodded and gave him a smile.

“So.., why?” he seem hesitate before asking further.

I shrugged, “I’m just bored. My dad is never home. I don’t have siblings and Nari often goes with her family on weekends.”

“How about your mother?” he asked again.

Knowing that he would ask didn’t make me less sad thinking about my mother. But it didn’t hurt me as much as before, I just really missed her. “She.. passed away.”

“Oh, I am sorry.” I could see guilt on his face.

I smiled, “It’s okay. It has been two years.” He still stared at me with concerned. “Yah, what with that face? I won’t cry, don’t worry.” I laughed, trying to lighten up the mood, but it didn’t work.

“Do you miss her?”

My smile disappeared right away. “Off course. I really miss her. We were so close. She was like my friend to whom I shared everything. She also thought me playing piano.” I was to overwhelmed imagining that moments. I sighed, “I miss her so much, but my father  doesn’t help. Since my mother was diagnosed with cancer, he was so down. He cried too much. He didn’t want to leave my mother even for a second.” I took a glance at him, the furrow on his eyebrows become deeper.

“How is he now?”

“After my mother died, he become a workaholic. He works along day. He comes home when I already sleep, even on Sunday.” I sighed again before I realized that I opened up so much to him. I cleared my throat, “I think I talk too much.”

His smile was so sincere now when he looked at me. “It’s okay. Sometimes you pour out your heart to a stranger.”

“But you are not a stranger.”

“Exactly.” He chuckled. “If you need someone to talk, don’t hesitate to tell me.” He said while patting his chest.

I raised my eyebrows, “Why should I?”

He clicked his tongue, “Hey, I’m being nice to you but..”

“Arraso.” I said. “But I hope you wear your pants next time.”

Kang Nurin!