Almost is Never Enough

You Were My Bestfriend

“What do you want? Sweet or salty?” Kyuhyun asked Victoria, who was beside him, when they were buying popcorn. But the answer came from someone behind him.

“I like sweet.” Donghae said. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and Victoria giggled.

“Yeah, I want sweet too.” she answered.

“Sweet popcorn, please.”Kyuhyun ordered.

Kyuhyun sat in between Victoria and Donghae. Victoria was focused on the movie, while Donghae kept commenting and asking him about the movie. It bothered him a lot.

“So weird. Why he reject him though actually he likes her?” Donghae commented again.

“Hyung, shut up and watch the movie!” Kyuhyun tried to supress his voice though he was quite upset. Actually he loved the childish hyung, but it was so tiring sometimes.

Donghae seemed understand Kyuhyun’s mood, so he kept silent since then. Finally Kyuhyun could enjoy the movie, until the kiss scene was played. Unfortunately, it was not short but almost one full minute. He felt Victoria straightened  his body and across her arms on the chest, so that her arm no longer touched his, while himself fist his hands and held his breath. Even Donghae was not really comfortable with the situation , especially because the atmosphere from his both friends.

The movie ends with the sweet ending. The man propose the woman in the luxurious restaurant. Cliché, Kyuhyun thought. They left the theater with the crowd. Victoria kept praising the movie along the way.

“It was really, really romantic.” She said so cutely that Kyuhyun wanted to pinch her cheek.

“Do you like it that much?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yes. Their acting is pretty good, especially the guy.” Her eyes sparkled.

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes, “So you just like the actor, huh?”

“Aniyo, the story is good too. The man has sacrificed a lot and the ending is soo sweeet.”

“I think the man is a hypocrite.” Kyuhyun argued.

Victoria frowned, “Why?”

“He rejects the woman he loves just because of his friend. If he really loves her, he should just fight for his love no matter what.”

“Why do you say that? He does it because he doesn’t want to break their friendship, though it hurts him a lot.”

They were arguing about the movie more seriously than they should, ignoring the man who pouted behind them.

 

Kyuhyun arrived home at nine after she took Victoria to her apartment. He was just going to take the stairs when he heard someone called his name from the living room. His father who was watching TV turned his head to his son with not so pleased expression.  Kyuhyun bit his lips, awaring what would come next.

“Where have you been?”His father said. Kyuhyun just opened his mouth, but he was cut by his father, “Come here.”

Kyuhyun sighed before did what his father commanded.

“What is it now?” Kyuhyun asked  when he stood in front of his father.

“Behave, Cho Kyuhyun!”said Mr. Cho, glaring to his only son. Their relationship have been not good since Kyuhyun decided to study music in his school now because for his father, education is the main priority. He had had high hope for his son that he would become a lawyer or anything that utilized his brilliant brain.

Kyuhyun tried not to roll his eyes. “Appa..,” he whined instead.

Mr. Cho hissed, “Don’t do aegyo. I just heard that your grades go down. What have you been doing? Don’t you remember that I have contact to all your teachers?”

“My son.. you’re home?” A woman who just came out from her bedroom ran towards Kyuhyun and pulled him into a hug before she kissed every part of his face, even his lips.

“Hey, can’t you see I am giving him an advice?” Mr. Cho yelled to his wife.

“Honey, just stop scolding your son. He’s doing well enough.” Mrs. Cho attempted to persuade his husband. Kyuhyun grinned to his father mischievously.

Look at him, look at him.“ He pointed to Kyuhyun.  “Stop spoiling him. Didn’t you hear what Mrs. Baek said. His grades decreased.” Having a father who is the owner of an academy, Kyuhyun knew that being  a singer was not a good choice, yet it was his dream that he didn’t want to let go.

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows, “I don’t think so. I have good grades, Appa. If you see my average score, it’s not bad at all. I’m doing well in composition, I was praised by my musical teacher, and I got the best score in..”

“I don’t care,” Mr.Cho shouted.”You got bad score in your math test, did’t you?”

“Honey,”  Mrs.Cho was the one who replied, “It’s not like he got zero or something, he just got seven. It’s pretty good I think.”

Mr.Cho flared up and Kyuhyun became anxious, not because he was scared of his father, but he was afraid their parents would fight because of him, and it had happened several times.

“Good? You said it’s good?”he screamed. “Ugh. He used to get perfect score before he enter that nuts school.”

Younghwan.” When his mother called his father by his name, he knew that the situation had become  serious.

Hearing his wife called his name without any respect, Mr. Cho shouted back, “How dare you..”

Stop!” Kyuhyun yelled. The commotion suddenly became silence. “That’s enough. Appa,” he looked at his father into his eyes, “I will study harder from now. So, stop fighting.”

Mrs. Cho who saw sadness in Kyuhyun’s face his cheek, “I’m sorry, baby.”

Kyuhyun removed his mother’s hand from his face before he left his parents and went to his own room.

 

Kyuhyun seeked for his phone in his bag as soon as he reached his room. Noticing there were five missed calls, he pressed the call button to the caller.

“Hello,” the answer came at the first beep.

“Qian,” he replied.

“Are you home?”

“Yes, I am. Sorry I didn’t answer your call. I see my phone just now.”

“Are you okay?” she asked with concerned.

“What? I am okay. Why are you asking?”

“You don’t sound good. Do you want to tell me what happened?” Kyuhyun was about to ask how she knew, but then he remembered that she always knew him so well. As Kyuhyun didn’t answer anything, she continued, “Did you fight with your father again?”

Kyuhyun nodded but he realized that Victoria couldn’t see it, so he answered “Yes.” He heard a sigh from the other line. “Don’t worry. It doesn’t really matter.” She did not answer but he knew she was listening. “It’s about my grade, as always. I really want him to support my dream, Qian.”

“I am sure he does. Deep inside his heart he always support you, Kyuhyun. He will understand soon. It’s just about time.”

“Really?” He really wanted to believe it.

“Sure. You can take my word.” Kyuhyun almost could see her smiling.

“Thank you, Qian.”

Just talking to her made Kyuhyun’s heart so much lighter. He was really thankful for having her as a friend. Wait.Did he just want to be friend? He didn’t think so. Yet he was too comfortable with their relationship now to go to the next step.

 

 


A/N:

Huft.. I was having a problem because the toolbar didn't show up. Fortunately, it's normal again now..

Btw, it's only Kyutoria. Hehe.. Next chapter will be Nurin's point of view..

Saranghae juseyo~