First Step

You Were My Bestfriend

Her name was Kang Nurin from instrumental class at grade one. That’s all we knew. She was pretty but I didn’t really find her attractive. Donghae only watched her from afar everytime she was around, but never made any move. He kept his feeling by himself; he even just told us everything a couple of weeks ago. He told us that they met once but not in proper way. She might not even remember him.

 

Five months ago

A girl with wavy hair ran on the school corridor, holding a piece of paper which is her lesson schedule.She looked so hurry, until she hit someone.It was Donghae.  She bowed right away without looking at the person she hit, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” and then walked away. Donghae wondered who was that girl who didn’t have attitude. But after some steps, she stopped and turned around, approaching Donghae. When she walked towards him, he didn’t know what happened, but suddenly everything in his vision aroundwas  blurred, except her face, only focus on her.She was running a bit, but he saw it in slow motion. Until she was right in front of him.

“Excuse me, sunbaenim.” she said.

Donghae shook his head, and everything back to normal. “Yes?”

“Could you tell me where is this room?” She showed her schedule and pointed at the table which is written C2.01, but actually Donghae looked at her identity. Kang Nurin, instrumental class, majoring piano.

“Oh, it’s next to the library.” Then he told her the direction.

“Kamsahamnida,” She said it while bowing about five times then went away.

“She’s really cute,” he thought.   

 

“Donghae-ah, until when will you just stare at her?” I asked, waking him up from his daydream.

He then looked down and shook his head, “I’m happy just by staring at her.”

“Aish, what are you saying? Do you watch drama too much?” Kyuhyun commented. Then, he saw someone behind me and waved his hand signaling her to come. She greeted us then automatically sat beside Kyuhyun. She was Kyuhyun’s bestfriend and then she bacame the part of us.

“Qian, what took you so long?” Kyuhyun asked. Her name was Victoria Song, but I did’t know why Kyuhyun prefer calling her by her chinese name. Yes, she was from China, just come to Korea this year. She had moved from her school in China because she got a scholarship in this school due to her dancing skill, especially ballet. She was on grade two then. 

“I had to finish some task.” she replied.

“You haven’t eaten yet.” Kyuhyun said worriedly.

“Actually I have. I brought food and ate it in the class just now.”

The way they were talking looked so private, so I’d rather continue what we were talking about.

“Hae, you have never tried. If you keep silent, how can she know you?” I said.

“Right, no girl could reject you?” Shindong added.

Then Victoria looked at the one who we were talking about. She knew, of course. “Oppa, you still haven’t asked her acquainted?”

“You know, I can’t approach girl like Eunhyuk.” he reasoned.

“Hyung, don’t follow him. He is a bad role. You can use your own charm. The most important is you have to brave.” Kyuhyun said.

“Yah, Cho Kyuhyun,” I said, “do you think you are better than him? You also haven’t made any progress.” I smirked, feeling my triumph.

Kyuhyun avoided my eyes and tried not to look at Victoria, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I sighed. Did he think everyone was stupid? He was too obvious. I also saw the dissapointment on Victoria’s face. I really couldn’t understand why people hide their feelings.

 

 

The last class that day was a dance practice. Donghae, Shindong, and I entered the practice room with the students of our class. After we waited for a minute, Ms. Kwon entered the room, which had sky blue wallpaper with the clouds picture on it and a big mirror that covered one side of the room. That day she taught us about couple dance.

“When we dance alone, we just have to follow the beat and put feeling into the music then we can dance well. But in couple dance, which is the choreography that involves coordinated dancing of two partners, there is different manner. Because you have partner so you have to create the chemistry. Put the feeling with your partner. Even though your move is good, but if there is no feeling, it will look shallow and somehow awkward.” she explained.

She the music, a groovy song. Then she showed us her dance, just small steps but it had been amazing. She stopped. “See? When you dance individually, just coordinate with the music, or  dancing in group with a coordinated manner. In contrary, in couple dance you don’t do the same move, but in the same rhythm. Hyukjae-ssi, please.”

She signaled me to go forward, then I did.

“Hyukjae and I will demonstrate it.” He the music again but this time an hip hop and electronic  song with more beats. We started dancing and I found the right beat with her. “Okay,” she said as the music stopped, “As you can see, Hyukjae’s dance is really good but he didn’t put the feeling in it. He just danced for himself.”

I nodded listening to her explaination.

“Now, hmm.. Bora –ssi, you come here with Eunhyuk.” The slim girl with cat-like eyes came towards me, then I smile to her to which she replied. This is great. Yoon Bora, the dancing queen, was a cool girl with unique charms. “The others, find your partner.” After all of them had found their own partner, Ms. Kwon played the same as previous song. “Okay, watch them first,” she pointed at me and Bora. “Follow the beat.” she command.

We danced together in sync. Occasionally Ms. Kwon stopped the music and told us the correct move, but she said we had a good chemistry in dancing. Then she taught us some move and all of us follow her.

Everyone was preparing their things before going home. “Wait me outside, I still have something to do.” I said to Dongahe and Shindong.

“Okay,” answered Donghae.

I saw my partner was still packing her bag, then I moved beside her. “Hey, that was a nice move.” I said without looking at her, pretending to pack my bag too.

She glanced at me, ”Oh, Hyukjae-ah. Thank you. You were good too.” The way she talk sounded confident and energetic.

“But I think you are better.”

She laughed, “Come on, you are the dancing machine.” she said. “Actually I am your fan.”

“Eyyy~, are you kidding me?” I blushed.

“No, I’m serious. Your dance is awesome.”

“Ah, really?” She nodded. “Hmm Bora-yah,” I started.

“Yes?”

“I just wonder if you are free this weekend since I won two tickets for theme park, but I don’t know with whom I am going.” I said.

She seemed a bit surprised with my invitation. But it didn’t take too long for her to answer, “I think I will be free.”

Yes!  

“So, you want to come.”

“Okay, why not?”

I smiled from ear to ear, “Okay, I’ll call you latter then.”

 

I saw Donghae waiting for me on the gate, but I didn’t see Shindong with him, while Kyuhyun always use his motorcycle. “Hey, where is Shindong?” I asked.

“He has gone home. What did you do?”

I shook my head, “I had to do something important.”

He shrugged, “Let’s go home. I’m hungry.”

I hissed, “Do you think it’s your home?”

He laughed. “Come on, I want to eat your mom’s food.”

When we were going to the bus stop, I saw a girl walking alone. I stopped and grab Donghae’s hand to stop too. “Hae, see! She’s there.”

Donghae looked at the girl I pointed. He widened his eyes and looked shy.

“Hey, It’s your chance. Approach her.” I said while pushing him.

He fought me, “I don’t want to. Don’t push me!”

“Aish, you! Okay, let me do this. Look at me.” I approached her and walked beside her, while Donghae was watching me at the back.

“Hey, you’re from SM too? I’m your senior. What’s your name? Where do you live? Are we going to the same direction?”

She looked down and kept walking, seemed uncomfortable. Did she think I’m a ert?

 “Why don’t you answer? Do you know me? I’m Lee Hyukjae.” She kept silent and even fastened her step. I’m upset now.  “Yah, are you mute?”

She stopped and faced me, annoyed. “I know you. You are the ert playboy who flirts to every girls around you.” Then she walked away.

What she said? ert playboy? “YAH! HOW DARE YOU!” I tried to chase her, but unfortunately I didn’t see the roadwork and there was a hole in front of me. I fell. !!! How can this happen? It’s so embrassing.

The hole was not too deep, but my pride had fallen so deep.  I didn’t dare to look at her, but I heard her and some people around giggle. I even heard Donghae laughed behind me. I turned to him and he held back his laugh then helped me to get up.

When I steadied my self, I managed to say something important to him. “Donghae-ah, she’s not a good girl.” 

He laughed again.