It's Not The End Yet

Yours Truly

"Prepare for the next competition in two weeks. The theme will be love."

 

Wooyoung took a brown envelope from the secretary lady---Tae Hee was a nickname he had given her, because he still didn't know her real name and she looked as pretty as the actress Kim Tae Hee. She returned a curt smile before disappearing off again to god-knows-where. With the envelope in hand, Wooyoung went back into the dorm just as Taecyeon was coming out from the bathroom, clad in a white towel and his gorgeous body exposed. It stopped the younger boy in his tracks as he stared at the big guy, eyes wide with awe. 

 

Taecyeon found this absolutely adorable. "Can't peel your eyes off me, huh?" He teased Wooyoung.

 

"Huh?" Wooyoung blinked back, not really listening to Taec. Those packs were really visible, down to his also-obvious pelvic line. It was a body Wooyoung dreamt of but never really got around to work it. 

 

"I could flex it for you."

 

Before Wooyoung even finished mouthing the word "Wha--?", the big guy raised his arms and began flexing his muscles, making him look twice as big. Wooyoung's eyes widened at the sight of it. He quietly muttered, "Gorgeous..."

 

"What? I didn't hear you." Taecyeon said, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Wha---? Oh, nothing really. I just said you look amazing."

 

"Thank you, Woobaby." It was meant as a friendly gesture but Wooyoung felt a blush furiously making its way up to his mandu cheeks. He searched around for something to distract himself and saw Star King playing on TV. Oh good! That is one of his favourite shows.

 

"Oh, look! It's Star King." Wooyoung said, turning Taecyeon's attention to the TV in an instant. A small smile formed on Taec's face and both of them quickly rushed over to couch. 

 

While the big guy enjoyed the show, Wooyoung was deep in his thoughts again. He was glad to meet Taecyeon. That guy could make him feel like he never left home. It had only been three days since they met and already they acted as if they had been friends for years. The only worrying thing in Wooyoung's mind now was how he could prepare for the upcoming competition. There were about ten competitors left, living in JYPE dorms like Wooyoung. The last interview with Jin Young actually reduced most of the competitors, from two hundred to only ten, including Wooyoung.

 

Jin Young also said there would be about five competitions left. The first is dancing, the second is singing, acting, song-writing and the last one is a secret that will only be revealed after finishing the first four. Wooyoung was especially nervous for that one. At the end, there would only be about two winners. And these two could actually release albums under JYPE. Could.

 

Without realizing it, Wooyoung started to shiver, thinking about the pressure he would need to face for the next two months. There would be a lot of training conducted. And he might be more physically tired than he had ever been. Mentally too, considering he had to study for a coming mid-term assessment in two months.  

 

"Wooyoung." Taecyeon called out in a low voice, startling the black-haired boy.

 

Wooyoung turned to face his room mate. "Yeah?"

 

"It'll be ok." Taecyeon said, as if he could read Wooyoung's mind. As he said that, Wooyoung felt a sort of relief in his heart. He leaned his head back against the couch, no longer paying attention to the show on TV and let out a long sigh. Taecyeon scooted closer to him and quite spontaneously placed an ear against Wooyoung's chest, listening to his heartbeat.

 

"What are you doing?" Wooyoung asked, surprised.

 

"It's beating twice as fast. It's not good to worry so much," said the big guy. "It's not good for your heart. Look, I understand your feelings right now. You're nervous as heck because competitions like this are never easy. I went through the same thing. But with a lot of effort and determination, I'm sure you'll succeed. Look at me now. I'm happy." He added with a toothy smile on his face.

 

"I'm not as strong as the other competitiors. My dance is good but I've seen better. My voice is soft. And I can't do things you could."

 

"So?"

 

"I might lose." It was a harsh hit on reality. But Wooyoung was going to prepare himself for it.

 

"Win or face death under my hands." Taecyeon suddenly said. It was a bold outburst and it surprised Wooyoung.

 

"Why?"

 

"You're the first room mate I ever have. I'm not going to see you go just because you didn't win."

 

That put a smile on Wooyoung's face. Maybe...just maybe...he might have a chance to win this after all. The thought of being needed by someone other than his mum and dad never occured to him. It was a nice feeling and it made him want to do things.

 

"Thanks, hyung." He said, smiling happily.

 

_______________________

 

The theme will be love. Love...such a complicated feeling to comprehend but at the same time, it is also beautiful and spontaneous. It's filled with buttlerflies in one's stomach and it puts a silly smile on one's face. For Wooyoung, however, it was the most difficult feeling in the world. He had never felt real love and he wondered if the love he shared with his mother is the same with the love he saw couples sharing with each other. No...how could it be the same?

 

He couldn't picture himself walking down the street, holding his mother's hand at his age. It's different when he was still in primary school. Mothers instinctively held their children's hands to keep them out of danger. But when those kids are old enough to see traffic and avoid strangers, there is simply no need to hold hands anymore. Sure, he shared the occasional kiss on his mother's cheeks but that hardly constituted the kind of love couples shared.

 

Right?

 

Taecyeon, as if sensing something was wrong again, called out to Wooyoung. "Hey. You okay there?"

 

Wooyoung blinked his eyes a few times, not quite hearing what Taec said. It sounded like a distant buzzing. Taecyeon moved in front of Wooyoung and leaned in closer, peering at the younger boy's face.

 

"You know something, when you start spacing out like that, it's like everything else around you doesn't matter anymore. That's bad you know. You can't let your guard down even for a moment." The big guy advised him.

 

"W-what? Why not?"

 

"Because...I could just---" Without finishing his sentence, Taecyeon reflexively bent forward and in one quick swoop, carried Wooyoung up in his arms, bridal style. Then he continued, "---do this to you and you won't be able to fight back."

 

"I so totally could." Wooyoung started moving around, to see if Taec would drop him. But the big guy was as sturdy as a tree. He held on tight.

 

"See?" He said, to prove Wooyoung wrong.

 

"That's because you're made of muscles and I'm mostly made of...chicken."

 

The notion of chicken caused Taecyeon to chuckle slightly but he still held on. Wooyoung finally gave up struggling in the big guy's grasp and politely said, "Can you let me down now? I'll promise to be more alert next time."

 

"Good," said Taecyeon, before letting the younger boy down.

 

Wooyoung knew better than to ask, but it was the only chance he could get some kind of idea for his upcoming competition. He turned to Taec and met the big guy's eyes. "Taec, can I ask you a favor?"

 

"What is it?"

 

"Can you show me how love is like?"

 

"Love? Why do you need to know?"

 

"It's for the competition in two weeks. A dance-off. I mean, I can explain what love is but it's most dictionary-based. I've never actually experienced it myself. I'm not sure if you did---"

 

"I did." Taecyeon interrupted. His expression was forlorn and Wooyoung wondered if he had thread on dangerous boundaries.

 

"If you can't help me, then it's okay. I'll try to find some way---"

 

"I'll help." The big guy replied in a definite manner. "You're my roomie. It's the least I could do for the company you've given me these past few days." The toothy smile was there again and Wooyoung was grateful for Taec once more. Very very grateful.

 

____________________