The Start of a New Day

Yours Truly

This is it!

 

Today is the day. I'm going for it. I don't care what my father thinks. My mum supports me all the way, so for her sake, I will do everything in my willpower to make her proud.

 

But Wooyoung still found it hard to shake away this blanket of dread in his heart. He knew what his father would do if the old man found out. He just prayed it wouldn't be too soon. There was still a lot to do before he becomes a star. First thing's first, he had to pass the JYPE auditions. And from the look of it, things doesn't seemed easy. So far, Wooyoung had witnessed a hundred contestants going in to try their luck and only three made it through. His nerves were unwinding him but he kept himself still. Five hours passed and finally the same man in a gray suit he had seen for the last couple of hours emerged again and called out, "3213, please enter."

 

That's my cue. Wooyoung picked up his worn red bag and made his way to the audition room. The gray man---Wooyoung's idea of a nickname---assessed him from head to toe and gave a dull approval seconds later by merely nodding his head. "Enter." He said in a low dull voice.

 

Wooyoung shortly obeyed and entered the room. He took a long deep breath. There, sitting in the middle of a long table, was the one man Wooyoung had aimed to impress that day.

 

Park Jin Young.

 

_________________________

 

"I hope you're aware of what you're about to do." Jin Young said, eyeing the timid, petite boy in front of him with a smile on his face. The participants this round were a slight disappointment to what he had expected. Not many hopefuls that day, but this timid-looking boy may just be the person he was looking for. There was something about the way Wooyoung moved when he entered the room. In a hesitant way, Wooyoung still had an air of stardom around him.

 

"I'm aware." The black-haired boy replied promptly.

 

"Ok then. Let's start with the talent you're good at first." The lady in red sitting next to Jin Young cut in. Her brown curls were tied back in a ponytail and she seemed a good deal jollier than Jin Young, with a pretty face to match. Wooyoung also noticed two cameras placed facing him. No doubt to record his performance. Two staffs were manhandling those cameras and they stood in their place quietly. He mentally prayed his performance would go along smoothly that day.  

 

The music began and acting on cue, Wooyoung started to dance. He had been doing this for years, training the moves he showed that day by himself. Some days were hard when unwanted muscles were pulled and it left a bad cramp. He had to rest a lot after that, but his mother never stopped him from dancing again. It was probably because of her that he was standing before Jin Young right now. The motivation she implanted in him was enough to make him try out for the auditions.

 

It's ok, sweety. If you didn't make it through, mummy will make sure you'll do it again next year. So for now, you just practice as hard as you can.

 

His body flowed smoothly to the music, feeling the catchy dance rhythm vibrating to his core. His arms knew where to be and what to do. His legs moved as if he was floating on air. He could only hear the music around him and he closed his eyes to drain his nervousness away. When the music finally stopped, he too stopped in his tracks, feeling quite satsfied for completing his dance. It was an R & B dance step. And he did quite a lot of research on it before combining a few moves to make his own choreography.

 

Jin Young and the lady began a quiet conversation among themselves and it was making Wooyoung nervous. What are they saying? Did I make it? Or will I be kick out like most of those unlucky contestants today? It was just to unnerving.

 

"Can you sing a song for us?" The lady requested once they were done.

 

Wooyoung cleared his throat and began to sing. He sang 'Fly Me to the Moon' by Frank Sinatra. It was a good song and his voice fitted the melody and the tone well. But too bad his accent ruined most of the song. Still, it was a good song. Jin Young and the lady said nothing the whole time. Once he was done, he waited for them to comment on it.

 

They went into a quiet conversation again. Wooyoung watched their expressions closely. There was a frown there for a moment, but it was quickly replaced by a smile. A sober look took over after that, followed by more frowns, and Wooyoung basically gave up after that. He was starting to feel demotivated and he wondered if his mum had been wrong all along. Maybe he wasn't cut out for this kind of thing. He preferred staying at home, reading a good book and making more songs with his guitar.

 

Finally, when they were done, Jin Young turned back to Wooyoung and said, "Congratulations, Wooyoung. You managed to bring out the jjang in your name. Report back at my office in two days and I'll tell you what to do next. For now, go home and tell everyone the good news." He said, smiling warmly.

 

Wooyoung was so happy he could hardly contain his joy. He practically ran out of the audition room, throwing his fists in the air and mouthing a silent 'yay' to himself. The other remaining contestants looked at him with envy. They were probably nervous as heck right now, just as he had been a few minutes ago. But the hardest part was over. And now come the second hardest part---breaking this news to his dad.

 

It wouldn't be easy.