Blind Date

Blind Date

 

At the age of twenty-two, most people had already been happy with their other half. But for Chanyeol, the so-called playboy back when he was still in college, never had a normal relationship for once.

With the height of 186cm, and a babyface, he had been a talk of all the group of girls in Seoul. He went on blind dates and fell in love with his dates as if his life actually depended on them. The start of his comedy lovelife was when he was forced to go on a blind date by his bestfriend – Baekhyun – when they were in senior year.

Baekhyun, being his bestfriend, never knew his one action had turned his bestfriend into a fool who easily fell in love with whoever he met on blind date.

At once time, he went on 7 different blind dates a week, and you know what ? He went around and told everyone that he had fallen in love with 7 of them.

Baekhyun gave up on advising the boy to stop being an idiot and looking around closely, because, there was one girl who truly loved him, but she never got a chance to be a real woman in front of Chanyeol.

“What ? She dumped you, again ?!”, Baekhyun dropped his bag on the table, which was covered with cans of beer and a lying Chanyeol.

Grunting, Chanyeol waved his arm about, “She said she never thought of being in a relationship with me. Am I that ugly ?”

Seeing the depressed Chanyeol, Baekhyun didn’t have a heart to hit him like he always did. Sighing, he picked his bestfriend up and put him down on a sofa in the middle of their shared living room.

“If you are ugly, I don’t know who will be called handsome”, Baekhyun mumbled, slapping on Chanyeol’s as the boy clung onto his leg. “Get off ! I have to clean the mess you made ! Stop using me as your crying pillow !”

Chanyeol sobbed, eventually released Baekhyun. This was their daily routine – Chanyeol coming home after a date and crying his heart out, Baekhyun cleaning up the mess. Still, there was one thing missing, or should I say, someone was missing. 

“Hey, Bacon”. A lady pushed herself into their apartment casually, everyone could tell that she could come and go as she liked by the way Baekhyun chuckled seeing her entering his place at 1am. Yimin was the missing piece of this group of friends. She had been with them since they were only 10. The only one who knows all the good stories and bad ones about Baekhyun and Chanyeol – Kim Yimin.

Baekhyun grinned widely at his friend, his face showed a clear expression of relief. He eyed the mess of Chanyeol and started pulling his sleeves up, gathered the cans and snacks into his embrace.

Yimin shook her head, she approached the lying figure and didn’t hesitate to kick his stomach. “You stupid, big-headed idiot !”

“What is your problem ?! Stop coming to some male’s house at this time, woman !”, Chanyeol grumbled. He was known to be a gentleman, but never once did he treat Yimin like a girl.

Baekhyun opened his mouth to scold Chanyeol. He knew how much Chanyeol’s thoughtless words hurted Yimin’s feeling. He grew up with both of them, and he was literally their big brother. And Baekhyun couldn’t stand seeing his sister being bullied by his other brother.

Yimin put her finger on her lips, silenced him with whatever he was about to say. She had been in love with his own bestfriend Chanyeol for 7 years, and she was willing to keep it that way. Chanyeol never saw her as anything more than a friend, she didn’t want to ruin their friendship anyway.

“But-“, Baekhyun protested.

“He is drunk, Baek”, Yimin smiled smally. She glanced down at the owner of her heart with a longing expression. “I just wish he would stop hurting himself by going out with those girls”

Baekhyun sighed, he put his arm out and touched her head lightly, “If only he opened his eyes and saw what he had been looking for was always in front of him”

“Eii, you are being cheesy. I’m fine with just the way we are. We are best of buddies, right ?”, Yimin grinned, making funny faces in hope to rising the mood.

“You could always borrow my shoulder to cry on, silly”, Baekhyun chuckled, bunching his shoulder. The two giggled and exchanged secret looks.

 

***

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes due to the pain he was having in his head. His eyes quickly caught up with the change of light and he was surprised to find Yimin sitting on the floor, leaning against the sofa he was lying on. *She was here all night long ?*. He stratched his head, he never understood why Yimin did all these things for him. She was like his loyal puppy, whatever he wanted, she would do it for him. Despite the fact that they were just friends, bestfriends in fact. *I like the feeling of having her around though*, Chanyeol pushed himself off the sofa and rose on his foot.

“Yimin”, he shook her lightly.

“Hmm ?”, she woke up, rubbing her eyes and head. Chanyeol blinked, he was taken off-guard at the way her hair bouncing up and down when she turned around, and why the hell her short shorts and the tee that dropped down to one of her shoulders made his heart beat faster than before.

“You woke up ? Feel better ? Want some soup ?” she jumped on her foot and blinked at him. Chanyeol’s breath hitched up, he started losing himself. He didn’t know what he was thinking about anymore.

Yimin gave him a funny look, she yawned in her hand, fixing her shirt, “Do I look pretty today or what ?”, she joked, jabbing his chest playfully.

Chanyeol snapped out of his daze, he flushed furiously, but Yimin missed to see that. “You look stupid, what did you think when you put on these shorts ? They are not for a tomboy like you !!”. He looked away, he was embarrassed and ended up saying the opposite of his heart.

Yimin was stabbed on the spot. The reason for her to wear something so girl-like was Chanyeol himself, he once told her that she would look cuter and would have caught attention of boys if she wore like that.

And now he told her off. Saying that she looked stupid.

“Fine, I’m sorry for wearing something you like but I look stupid in it ! I am done with you, Park Chanyeol. I am tired of this one-sided love ! I am tired of running after you ! What am I doing here ? Worrying for you but you don’t even need it ! Just … forget it …”

Yimin ran out of his apartment so fast that Chanyeol could only stare at her retreating figure.

Baekhyun walked into the living room with his hair wet from a morning bath. He scanned the room for Yimin but all he saw was a gagging Chanyeol. “What’s now ? You two argued and she was mad at you ?”, he guessed.

Chanyeol turned back, his eyes were still in a shockwave. “Baek-ah … she said … she loves me, right ?”

Baekhyun widened his eyes, the towel on his head dropped lifelessly on the floor, just like his heart. Damn, his best girl friend had confessed and got her heart broken just like that ?

***

Chanyeol hadn’t changed one bit ever since that eventful morning. He still went on blind dates and cried all night long. Baekhyun was also the same, he would always be the one cleaning up Chanyeol’s mess and scolded him for living so aimlessly. But one thing changed. Yimin never appeared at night to stay by Chanyeol’s side until he woke up in the morning and she was the first he saw anymore.

Little did Chanyeol know, his heart died a little knowing that she would never be there for him like before.

She still dropped by frequently, to join Baekhyun, and also Chanyeol, for breakfast or lunch. Their friendship was still there. Yimin never wanted to let go of the only connection between her and her love. If you couldn’t be lovers, may as well stayed friends.

Today was nothing different from yesterday, as Yimin came by to have lunch with them.

When she and Chanyeol met, she would flash him a grin, like she always did. But of course, Chanyeol could feel the awkwardness shot out from his friend. She stopped fooling around with him, stopped fighting over the smallest things, stopped trapping his neck with her arms, stopped calling him names, and stopped caring for him.

“Yimin, you came”, Baekhyun looked up from his book and greeted Yimin with his best smile. Chanyeol stopped playing game on the TV, he dropped the controller and just stared at Yimin.

She stepped in, shutting the door behind her. “It’s so cold outside. I forgot to bring my sweater”. She shuddered while taking off her shoes. Baekhyun laughed, he raised an eyebrow while pointing at her, “Look at what you are wearing ! Something’s special today, huh ?”

At this point, Chanyeol had just realized what she was putting on. She actually wore a light make-up on, with a soft pink dress, which ended precisedly in the middle of her thighs, her hair was curly, different from her straight, messy hair he had seen for all of his life knowing her.

“How do I look ?”, she asked, approached Baekhyun with a shy smile on her lips, her cheeks flushed pink as she tried to pull her dress lower a bit. Chanyeol couldn’t help but think that she was cute doing that.

“Of course, you look like an angel”, Baekhyun chuckled, spinning her around. “You are naturally beautiful, don’t you think so, Yeol ?”. Baekhyun smirked, turning to look at the dumbfounded Chanyeol. Baekhyun had been trying to fix the relationship between them two but nothing really happened.

“Huh ? What ?”. Chanyeol cleared his throat. Meeting Yimin’s awaiting gaze for a fast second before hurrying up, grambling into the kitchen.

Yimin sighed softly, her shoulders deflated. She did hope for Chanyeol to at least say that she looked okay today. *Whatever, it’s not like I did all of this for him*

Baekhyun cursed Chanyeol under his breath, he pulled Yimin into the kitchen and sat her down on one of the chair, he handed her a carton of milk before preparing lunch for all three of them. Chanyeol were drinking water, leaning his back against the counter.

“Wait, Bacon. I can’t have lunch with you. My mom arranged me to have lunch with someone, I think I will get going in 10 minutes”, she made faces, gulping down her milk, making not-so-girl-like noise, but she could care less about that right now.

Chanyeol secretly looked at her. His inside rushed without a reason after hearing that she wouldn’t have lunch with them. *Who does her mom what her to have lunch with while she wears something so … nice ?*

Baekhyun frowned. He had an idea where this was from. “Blind date, right ?”

Chanyeol widened his eyes. *Blind date ? I thought out of us, I am the only one interested in that kind of activity*

“Hmm”, grunting, Yimin rotated her neck to get rid of the tireness she was having recently. Her mom had been pushing her to meet up with a lot of her friends’ sons. She had met 3 guys already, and to be truthful, she couldn’t forget her feeling for Chanyeol yet, which ended up for her to reject all of their offer to have a real relationship.

This was her fourth blind date, and her mom said that she would sure like the guy. He was a gentleman and thoughtful, tall and really handsome.

“Mom said that I had to marry whoever she wanted me to if I scared off the guy I will meet in the next few minutes”.

“Marry ?!”.

Baekhyun and Yimin blinked, they both turned to look at Chanyeol, who had just yelled outloud. He was tightly gripping on a bottle of water and he bored his gaze into Yimin’s eyes.

“You know my mom, Chanyeol. She is unpredictable”, Yimin chuckled. “I will get going, will tell you about the guy, Baekhyun”, she hugged Baekhyun quickly before disappearing behind the door.

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a teasing smile as soon as Yimin had really gone. “Yah, what’s with your shouting ? She has been meeting up with a few guys recently. Her mom wants to soon have grandchild, you know”

“A few guys ?!”, Chanyeol gasped. This was shocking. Chanyeol couldn’t believe that his bestfriend had been meeting boys without his knowing. Yimin always shared her problems with him before.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, her slapped Chanyeol’s head again and again. “Oh god, you are such an idiot. She has been loving you for 7 years long, and only now you choose to love her back”

“I love her ?”, Chanyeol gawked.

Baekhyun made a face which told Chanyeol that he would like to kill him right now and then. “You are so naïve. Fine, you don’t love her. I don’t care anymore, she deserves someone better than you. I hope she would marry the guy she has to meet this time. Hearing from her mom, he is a good guy”

“NO !”

“And why ?”, Baekhyun calmly crossed his arms, eyeing his friends who was starting to have a mental breakdown.

“Be-Because she is mine”, Chanyeol mumbled, his breath started catching speed and he was panting already.

“Oh, now she is yours. But you don’t love her. How sweet !”, Baekhyun snapped sarcastically.

Chanyeol glared at his bestfriend, “You know what I mean, Baek”. Baekhyun broke into a bubble of laughter, “That’s great, Yeol. She has been crying a lots after that day she confessed. I hope you would never make her cry after this day”, he stood on his toes and patted Chanyeol’s shoulder lightly.

 

***

 

Yimin was having a classic lunch inside one of the most popular restaurants in Seoul. Her shoulders squared up at the moment she met her blind date. He was gorgeous, he was as tall as Chanyeol, but from him, she could feel a royal vibe, he looked like a prince, who had just stepped out from some fairy tale.

“My mother didn’t tell me that I was going to see an angel today”. Oh, and he was a sweet talker too. Any girl would fall in love with him right away. But too bad, Yimin had already lost her heart to someone as blunt and stupid like Chanyeol, she was not gonna fall for someone so different from Park Chanyeol.

“I am not fond of that kind of compliments, Mr.Wu”, Yimin smiled politely, she picked up her glass of wine and drank a little.

The male blinked at her in surprise, then he broke into a bashful grin, “Straightforward, I see. I like you already”.

Yimin awkwardly smiled, “Uh … thanks, but … you are not my style actually, Mr. Wu-“

“Kris, call me Kris. Can I call you Yimin only ?”, he asked without breaking eyecontact with her. Yimin was shocked to meet someone much ruder than her. In her previous three blind dates, she was the one who made rude comments and shooed away all the guys. Seemed like this one was tough.

“I don’t think calling each other so casually like that will do. After all, we never meet again after this lunch, don’t you think so ?”, Yimin sighed, wiping her lips with her finger.

Kris smirked, leaning closer, “We will if I tell our mothers that I like you and we will be married soon”

“You are crazy, I am not interested in you”, she snapped, glaring at him.

“You can learn to love me, which will be easy. Come on, now tell me, what do you love to-“

“She loves me, get lost, you freak”. A deep voice hissed, pushing Kris’s head backwards and enveloped his arms around Yimin’s shoulders.

Yimin blinked, she looked up and was amazed to see Chanyeol panting heavily, he looked down on her, his lips stretched into a bright grin, he didn’t wait for any second to finish the reason he came here for.

“What the-“, Kris shook his hand with an angry glare.

Chanyeol had just captured her lips and kissed her with all of his heart. People inside the restaurant looked at them with curiousity, they pointed at Kris, feeling pitiful for the guy.

Chanyeol pulled off, pressing his palms onto her cheeks, “Blind date is not suitable for you. Silly, because you are mine”

Kris slammed his fist on the table, he grabbed his jacket and furiously stared at the couple in front of him.  “I am not taking this easy ! I will tell Mrs. Kim about this ! There will be no marriage between us !”

Chanyeol scoffed, “That’s great, could you tell her that her daughter will marry the Park’s only son instead of the Wu ?”

Kris bit his lower lip in attempt to keep himself from jumping into Chanyeol, with a snarl, he stormed out of the restaurant.

Chanyeol grinned in victory, he felt someone pulling on his sleeves and looked down to find Yimin blinking at him with her confusing eyes. He softened, without saying anything, Chanyeol bent down and once again, kissed her senselessly in front of everyone.

“I love you”, he muttered as soon as he pulled off.

Tears were covering Yimin’s vision, she was telling herself that everything was just a dream. Of 7 years loving him, now he decided to love her back ?

“I realized that I has fallen in love with my own bestfriend without my knowing. Just the mere thought of you are going on a date with some random guy that is not me, I feel like sitting on fire. I have always had the best, but foolishly looking for something else for so long. I’m sorry for making you wait for me, wait for someone not worth your love. But, can you give me a chance, to show you how much I love you, and to prove to the world that you are not wrong to fall in love with me from the start ?”

Yimin opened her lips to say, but shut it the moment she realized no word could come out. Why must you say when you could use action to tell someone what you really feel ?

Yimin wrapped her arms tightly around Chanyeol’s neck, she pulled him down to her level before pressing her lips against his own for a couple of seconds.

Chanyeol’s eyes were as big as a pair of eggs. He gagged like a blowfish when she flashed him a happy smile, “You … accept me ?”

Yimin nodded.

“We are now official ?”

She nodded again.

“I can be your boyfriend ?”

Yimin chuckled, “That’s so sweet, of course, you could be my boyfriend”

“I never succeed getting a girlfriend after a hundred of blind dates, but found my love after ruining someone’s blind date. Wait until I tell our children about how their parents fell in love, they will be laughing at how stupid it sounds like”


Thank you for reading :)

I feel like flying, because I have finally written a happy ending for Chanyeol :))