Chapter 1: 하나

One Year with Five Husbands [다섯 남편과 1 년]

Chapter 1

            Waiting has never been my thing. I would always be late or on time, never early. I liked it that way. I was comfortable with it. It doesn’t have to change. Ever.

            Maybe it was the silence. Maybe it was the nerve wracking nervousness that never seems to disappear. Maybe, I don’t know. I should’ve asked to take the later flight. Cheongsando is a really wonderful island. It just that I’ve been looking at the view for an hour and a half, alone, watching nearby couples hold hands and cuddle in the sand while I sit under a gigantic umbrella, my loneliness getting filmed. Oh, and did I mentioned I was alone?

            I’m supposed to meet my husband here. He is approximately thirty minutes late. I’ll totally kill him. I don’t care if he’s some bigshot Korean star like Lee Min Ho or one of those KPOP guys with fangirls. I. AM. MAD. How dare he keep me waiting like this?!

         "Hwang-sshi, you can play around in the water if you want.” The PD must have taken pity on my poor soul that was dying of boredom.

            “Really?” I asked. I turned my gaze away from my hands and sent it to the crystal blue waters of the island. “I’ll totally go play if you allow me.”

            “Go ahead. It would be a great shot for the episode.” He nodded in approval.

            I stood up and bowed gratefully. In one quick second, I jumped up from my seat and ran into the water. One of the cameramen was panting heavily trying to catch his breath when he finally stopped a few yards away so that his camera wouldn’t get wet. I splashed and swam like a little child. I don’t care that people were staring at me. I’m a new American-Korean actress. I’m nineteen. I deserve to play around.

            “Manager Yang! Come over here! The water’s great!” I yelled out to my manager in English while waving my arms over my head. I could see him sigh and walk over lethargically.

            “Quinn…” He whined, calling me by my name. “I can’t always do what you want. I’m your manager, not your butler,” he rubbed his temples.

            I stayed still and silent for a moment. Sure Manager Yang was a bit old—34 exactly—and I should be treating him with respect, but I don’t feel like it.

            “I’m telling Jung Min,” I whined like a child.

            He was obviously flustered. No way in my right mind would I actually tell my sister something bad about Manager Yang Sul Moon. She’d beat me up.

            “Come on now, Quinn.” He started sweating, I could sense it. “What do you want me to do? I’ll do anything. Just don’t make Jung Min hate me!” I could see he was about to drop on his knees. He has no redeeming quality except for his peace-loving passiveness. He knows that to.

            “Hmmmm… Let me see…” I pretended to think for a long time, tapping my chin with my index finger. “Buy me two Leeteuk posters!” I commanded pointing at his face. “I can’t find any by myself since he’s in the army,” I did a fake cry. “My oppa is in the army! I feel so lonely!” I pretended to sob, covering my face. Doing aegyo while speaking English feels different.

            “Yeah I’ll do it!” Manager Yang was obviously relieved at the easy request.

            I switched back to my normal English voice. “I also want a K. will album. Su-chan took mine.”

            “Sure. You want a bubble tea after the shooting? I heard they have a really good café here.” Manager Yang smiled, happy that I’m satisfied.

            “I want one! I want an avocado one!” I said, happy.

            “If you can finish today’s filming nicely, maybe we can invite the other person with us.” He suggested.

            “Yeah! That’s a good idea!” I nodded in approval. “We’ll probably be awkward since today is our first meeting. Bubble tea will erase all signs of awkwardness!” I extended my fist out and Manager Yang and I fist bumped.

            After he went back to his spot under the shade, I continued playing in the water. By the time I got out my fingertips were beginning to turn like raisins and my white shirt that hung off my shoulder stuck to my abdomen. The measly fabric showed my yellow flower-print bikini, my denim shorts leaving a trail of droplets on the sand as I left the water. I dramatically swooshed my hair away from my face, aiming it at the camera. A little fan service never hurt anyone.

            “Wait hyung!” I heard a voice yell. They started talking really fast in Korean. I tried really hard to understand, but I couldn’t. I really need those Korean lessons.

            I walked away. They were probably just teenage boys looking for cute girls to hit on. Wait. That doesn’t happen in South Korea. I need to shoo away my California mindset. I strolled towards Manager Yang. He seemed to have fallen asleep under the tree. My flip-flops were right next to him. I picked them up and walked back to the umbrella table where I was waiting before and sat down. I laid one of my feet on my knee and started slapping the sand away and placing them into flip flops.

            Something cold and wet landed on my shoulder. I screamed and jumped away. That was gross. I just hoped it wasn’t a spider covered in slime or venom or blood. I could feel myself shuddering at just the mere thought of it.

            “Gwenchana?” A voice asked me. I stood still. What? What does that mean? Wait, think Quinn. I am Quinn Hwang. I am nineteen-years-old. I know what gwenchana means. It’s ”are you okay?”. I am okay.

             “Uh… yes. Yes, I’m okay.” I blinked a few times to gain my right mind back. Look around Quinn. What the heck is happening?

            “Uh… okay.” I looked up and paid attention to the voice. It belonged to a tall guy with fox-like eyes. His hair was brown with a red tint.

            “Hyung, I think she was scared.” A guy with shiny hair sent me a worried glance. He had huge eyes and perfect thin lips.

            “It wasn’t my fault!” A boy with a duck-like face whined like a kid.

            “Your hand was cold and wet, Sandeul.” The boy with long hair and glasses said simply.

            “Excuse me…” I mumbled. “I’m okay, I was just surprised.” I gave them a small reassuring smile.

            “Okay, great!” A cheery squirrel-cheeks guy said happily.

            In unison they took a deep breath. “Annyeonghaseyo! We are B1A4! Please take care of us.” They bowed in unison.

            I stared blankly. Then slowly a smile crawled up my face. That’s just so cute. I remember my nephew doing that with his twin sister. It was just so adorable.

            “We are your husbands.” They raised their heads up.

            Okay, maybe not so cute…