18

The Aegis

 

Yunho's ship had docked the night before, and the soldiers (Dongwoo and his friends included) were allowed to go home for the night after their designated shifts if they wanted to. Although Yunho wanted to go with his brother, he knew that there were things that needed his attention more than his brother--who looked like he was feeling so much better the next day.

Sunggyu had asked to be allowed to go off until the time they needed to launch again. He claimed that he needed time to continue his family duties, and that he didn't feel quite comfortable designing and modifying his machines with everyone milling around noisily. He just couldn't think! Yunho granted him this, and asked, as a favour from a brother to a friend of the brother, that he also try to look after Dongwoo while he was off duty. Sunggyu assured the crown prince that there was nothing to worry about. Nonetheless, he will look after Dongwoo--vowing it on the friendship that they shared.

Yunho was quite relieved to hear this. Although he would not be able to see his brother in a while again, at least he knew that that kid would be well taken care of.

 

~°~

 

Setsuna flew in and docked his machine behind the house, and set it on camouflage mode. He found Ailee inside the house, pacing around anxiously.

"You're sure of this plan?" he asked. "I can't help you out if we need to go back."

"How can you be sure of a plan?" she asked. "I'm not, but I believe it will work."

He sighed. "Okay, if that's the best excuse you have." He threw a set of keys in her direction, and she caught them awkwardly. "Dongwoo is with the others in their on-campus house. I don't think you'll need my help getting there, do you?"

She shook her head. "It's the after that I need a lot of help with."

He nodded. "Bring that gun with you, just in case."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"If Myungsoo finds me carrying around a gun, then he'd be inclined to think that I'm planning on killing Dongwoo, not keeping him alive."

"Leave it in the motorcycle. It's not Dongwoo and friends that you have to worry about," he said. "There are a lot more scarier things out there than a teenager with skills."

"You're one to speak," she muttered, but the look he sent her clamped her tongue down.

"It was because I'd killed so many people when I was a child that I want others to never experience the same thing. Now go to your precious Dongwoo and clear these things out--the longer you wait the more lives are lost."

She nodded and quickly headed towards the garage where his motorcycle was parked.

 

~°~

 

Twice, the doorbell rang. It didn't sound too dreadfully urgent, but Sungjong scampered to answer it anyway. Sunggyu was busy making modifications to the design of their mobile suits, he probably wouldn't appreciate any more racket. They just might end up with suits that they can't move.

He pulled the door open, jaw dropping in surprise to see who was on the other side of the door.

Ailee stood there with a hat pulled down to cover most of her face, garbed in street clothes and a warm trenchcoat. She lifted her head to look Sungjong in the eye and said, "I need to see Dongwoo."

 

~°~

 

"I need to see Dongwoo," Ailee said, thankful that her voice had not betrayed her fears.

"Why should I do that?" he asked, though he knew they all needed an honest discussion of everything they've been through.

"Please," she softly asked. "This is urgent."

"How many more secrets do you have, Ailee?" he asked.

"Just one more that he needs to know," she said. "I just need to tell him one more thing."

Sungjong stared at her for a while more, contemplating on whether she was being honest or she was just trying to trick him. However, his thoughts were cut off abruptly when Dongwoo's head poked out from behind the door, as he asked who it was. He was in the middle of asking why Sungjong had not let their guest in when he recognized Ailee.

"Sungjong," Dongwoo said, "you can go back in. I need to talk to Ailee."

"But Dongwoo-"

He smiled at him gently. "I'm not a child. If anything, I'm older than you. I can take care of myself, don't worry. Go help Woohyun with dinner."

Sungjong reluctantly nodded before scampering off to do as Dongwoo had asked. When he was out of sight, Dongwoo redirected his attention to Ailee, who stood there quietly.

"Would you mind taking a walk with me?" he asked.

"Lead the way," she said, gesturing for him to lead.

They headed towards the more secluded areas of the campus. When they finally decided on a spot, they sat down and listened to the wind as they prepared themselves for the upcoming discussion.

"Dongwoo," Ailee called, and he hummed a reply. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth earlier. It was all a mess."

"It's okay, I can understand," he said.

"I really don't deserve meeting someone like you," she said.

"You know, that's not entirely true. I'm probably just as awful as you are, if not more."

Ailee's hands tensed, and she said, "Listen, Dongwoo, there's one more thing that you need to know in order to understand everything."

"I'm listening."

"My name isn't Ailee Campbell; it's Ailee Lee. I'm Lee Yejin."

Dongwoo's brows furrowed upon hearing that name. He has heard that name before, but where? He can't really remember.

"My brother was really Lee Hyukjae," she continued.

"You're the missing North Korean princess," he muttered out of shock.

She bit her lips but nodded, acknowledging the title that she hasn't heard in years.

He swore, out of shock than anything else, then apologized immediately for letting such a word slip out. However, the shock was still there, and he could barely wrap his mind around it. "Ailee, Ailee, I'm so sorry."

She shook her head. "I'm the one who's supposed to be sorry, Dongwoo. All this time I've lied to you again and again. I lied to you about who I was and about my family. I don't know how you'd be able to forgive me."

"I think, Ailee, we'd be even," he commented, but refused to expound on his answer. "But...was that all you came here to tell me?"

"No, I- I need some help from you."

"Tell me."

"I'm going back home. To the North," she said. "And I'm going to face what I've been running away from. But I need your help. I'd like our countries to be on friendly terms again. I want to stop this nonsense."

"So you want me to help you get rid of the rift?"

"It can't be done so quickly," she commented. "But yes, basically, that's what I'm asking. Will you help me?"

"Yes. I want this war over and done with permanently."

"Thanks," she replied.

 

~°~

 

Setsuna was busily attending to his machine when Ailee came home. Her expression told him that although she felt that something was burdensome, her talk with Dongwoo didn't end badly. He asked her how it went, and was relieved to know that it had gone well.

"Go get ready," he said. "By the time you're done, I'll have the Exia ready."

Not long after she left him, Ailee came back clothed in a white, double-ed top, lined with gold. Its buttons were gold as well. It had a tail, like a tuxedo's, which ended mid-thigh. On her shoulders were epaulettes, and over where her heart would be was their family crest. She was wearing a pair of matching shorts, and a pair of white, knee-high boots.

"You're going wearing that?" he asked.

She nodded. "I am the princess of North Korea, and I've been missing for the past few years--I sincerely doubt anyone would recognize me if I didn't wear something easily associable to our family.

"If I'm going to do this, I should better do it right," she added. "I've run away for long enough."

Setsuna nodded, and Ailee swore that she saw a brief flash of a smile on his face. It was gone so quickly that she thought she'd imagined it, but somehow, she knew it wasn't her imagination.

"Come on," he said. "Become the shield that your country needs."

After a big breath, she nodded and climbed up the Exia. Setsuna had decided that the 00 was too formidable looking that it was possible that even if he was unarmed, he'd still look like he'd come to destroy the place until it was nothing more than a pile of ashes.