13

The Aegis

 

Myungsoo called Ailee and slammed the door of her locker shut after a quick glance at where her hands were. She gave a yelp of surprise and angrily demanded, "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing!" he retorted angrily. "If I find out that you've been cheating on Dongwoo, by the Crown, I swear, I will be your downfall, Campbell."

"What did I do?" she asked.

"Don't think we haven't noticed. Your brother's friends keep coming around here looking for you. How many cars do they need? Fifteen?" he asked.

"But-"

"Don't explain anything to me," he said angrily. "Make your actions count. I don't care if there really is something important that you need to do and you need them--those don't concern me. But if you're sick of being with Dongwoo, then say it to his face. It hurts a lot less that way." And with those words, he stalked off.

Sungjong, who had seemed to be hiding behind one of the pillars, meekly came out once Myungsoo was out of sight. And, hopefully, out of earshot.

"You all right, Ailee?" he asked.

"Shocked, possibly scared, but I guess so," she replied. "What's up with him today?"

"It's not him, it's actually you," Sungjong said. He glanced around briefly and asked, "Are you free to go?"

She nodded.

"Come with me," he instructed.

Ailee found herself with Sungjong at a nice little coffee shop. They sat down, notes open pretending to study, and a drink each.

And Sungjong explained.

Myungsoo, as the son of a general, had grown up within a family where discipline and reverence for authority was above all else. Loyalty to the crown was demanded of him, even from an early age, in accordance with or against his will.

He grew up quite isolated, one of few words, and a harsh dislike of the crown to which he is bound without his consent. That is, until the day he met Dongwoo.

Dongwoo, then and now, had always been the most jolly of them. Even as a child, he was very loving of others, welcoming, and he was the one who had innitiated Myungsoo into the world of nurturing friendship. Myungsoo opened up to this prince and grew to love him as a brother, a very precious brother.

He vowed his complete loyalty to Dongwoo and became the prince's knight.

"So you see, Myungsoo is really just deeply disturbed that you will be the one to destroy the Dongwoo we've all grown to love," Sungjong explained. "Pretty much the only thing that we have that we are freely given is Prince Dongwoo's kindness. And we're all afraid of losing that.

"The crown isn't kind, the kingdom isn't, either. The reason most of our families are loyal to it is because it is our home, and we depend upon the crown. Only Dongwoo is, Ailee. Don't destroy him with petty emotions. I beg you, please, don't hurt him. He doesn't deserve it," Sungjong pleaded.

"I'm not trying to," she said, after a moment of silence. "I'm not cheating on Dongwoo. But I have loyalty towards my brother and his friends as well. It's not the same as the loyalty that you have to Dongwoo, but it's loyalty nonetheless.

"I can't stay away from them, but I don't like them the way I like Dongwoo. So, don't think I'm doing this on purpose."

"But if anything changes, and you can't keep your promises and commitment to Dongwoo? What then?" Sungjong asked.

"I'd tell him myself. He deserves that."

"I hold you to your word, Ailee," he said with finality. There was a soft smile on his face, though, showing her his relief.

It twisted her heart. She could very well be the person that kills Dongwoo--with or without Celestial Being.

 

~°~

 

Dongwoo tapped the of his pencil in a bored fashion on the table. He's been waiting for Ailee to come through the door for five days now, but she's been absent all this time, and there was not a peep that she got from her. He didn't answer his texts, nor his calls, and to be honest, he was worried.

What if something had happened? What if she's sick? He didn't know.

He's even tried going to her house, but always, no one was there. It was like Mia's sudden disappearance. Only this time, he hoped that Ailee would come back safe and sound.

 

Another week crawled in, and Dongwoo had begun to doubt whether she was still all right.

Hands planted themselves on his shoulders, and a bubbly voice greeted, "Morning, Dongwoo!"

"Ailee!" he blurted out in surprise. "Where have you been?" he demanded. "You were gone for so long!"

She shrugged. "My brother dragged me with him on the job," she said. "But I'm back, for sure."

He hugged her. "It's good to have you back!"

"Good to be back," she replied.

 

~°~

 

Ailee stood beside Ian as he ran her through the latest enhancements he'd made on the Aegis.

"Now, more than ever, the Aegis is a close-combat machine, Ailee," he reminded. "You really need to make sure with yourself that you're willing to spill the blood of your enemies, otherwise, you're going to die. Even the Gundam 00 isn't fast enough to save you if you suddenly get second thoughts."

"I understand," she muttered, beginning to drift into the world of her lonely thoughts.

"You know," Ian began, catching Ailee's attention again. "This Aegis was originally designed by Mia, and she called it The Red Knight. Although there are many things that the Aegis cannot do, it has a bit of all the other machines. The scylla cannon is like the Seravee's high-particle beam; its transforming frame is reminiscent of the Arios' dual form--even if the second form isn't a fighter jet-design; it has enough speed and flexibility to maneuver like the Exia; and even if it's not as specialized as the Cherudim, it has rifles that can lock on to targets that machines like the Arios can't.

"It's one of the most all-around machines that Celestial Being has ever produced, but even if it's not the most powerful machine out there, it certainly has the most hopes attached to it. Mia named it Aegis for a reason, because she hoped that this was the machine that would be a shield for the things that it needs to protect the most," he said. "Until now, I'm not sure if she made it specifically for you, but I think that you are in need of a shield. I just hope the Aegis is good enough for you."

"The Aegis is more than I could have hoped for, Ian," she said. "I was just not ready for everything."

"I hope you're ready now," Lockon commented, standing by the open door. The two turned to him as he walked closer. "South Korea is currently trying to annihilate Japan."

Ailee's jaw dropped in shock. Ian nudged her towards the lockers--"Go. I'll get the Aegis ready for sortie."

 

Ailee sat in the Aegis' cockpit, clad in her red pilot's suit. She put down the visor of her helmet, and, with a new-found resolve, said, "Ailee Campbell, Aegis, heading out to support the Seravee for intervention."

A red suit launched from the bay, following the blazing machines of the other meisters.