Second Moon

Moon Child
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter Two.

 

 

 

 

          Weeks had passed and my life was back to normal, to the same routine I was used to. Waking up, eating, showering, working, eating, working, eating again, going home and watching a lame drama on the tv until I went sleep. Nothing more, nothing less. It was boring and more than ever I had this strong feeling of loneliness slowly eating me up.

 

   After that strange encounter with the blonde that night, my mind had been obsessed with him for days. But after some time, the obsession slowly faded until I would just think occasionally about him. Of course I couldn't completely forget what had happened. The whole thing was too strange, too mysterious, and I had still found no explanation for it. I was intrigued.

 

Sometimes, when I'd met a man with blonde hair in the street, I'd felt my heart miss a beat or my mind drifting away, back to the memories of his angelic face. I had managed to go on with my life but somewhere deep inside of me he was still there, and I silently hoped to meet him again.

 

Sometimes, he came in my dreams, as beautiful as the night he had appeared in front of me, and his black eyes haunted my nights to the point they left me restless and dazed in the morning. I tried to pretend I would soon forget about him but his face was engraved behind my lids.

 

My friends noticed something was off with me. More than once, they asked me if something had happened, if anything was wrong, but I kept denying. I acted as if everything was normal. They ended up assuming I was somehow shaken and sad after going back to Mokpo and to my father's grave, and they kept believing it as I slowly came back to my usual self.

 

Yes, weeks had passed and I was back to my normal life.

 

It had been a long day of work and I was driving home. My head was heavy and my body exhausted. It was late, I had worked overtime. Nothing unusual. The night had already fallen on the city, turning it into the mess of lights I was used to.

 

It took me half an hour to get back to my flat. As I stepped out of the car, my eyes instinctively moved up to the sky and landed on the white glowing orb. I shivered. It was the full moon again, which meant it had been a whole month since that strange night had happened.

I stared at the celestial figure for a few seconds, my eyes once again hypnotized, before I snapped out of my contemplation.

 

I locked the car and walked to my building. I went inside and called for the elevator, which opened its doors a couple seconds later. I climbed in and pressed the 12th floor, where my apartment was. While I waited for the ride to end, I closed my eyes and leaned again the metallic wall, heaving a deep sigh. I was really tired. I sighed again when the elevator stopped and opened its doors. I stepped out and headed to my flat, tiredly pulling my keys out of my pocket.

 

I entered and, before even taking off my shoes, I the lights. I was living alone in that small apartment and it always felt even more lonely when the lights were off.

 

I bent down and got out of my shoes, sighing in relief as my tired feet were freed from their prison of leather. I took off my jacket and hung it up on the wall. Then, I stepped into the main room.

 

My flat had only three rooms: the main room, the bathroom and my bedroom. The main room combined both a living room and the kitchen. It was a bit small but I liked it. It was home.

 

I went directly to the little kitchen and opened the fridge. I took out some leftovers and grabbed a plate to put them in the microwave. No very healthy, but I was too tired to cook anything. I shoved the food in it before putting on the timer and pressing the start button, and then I walked away, making my way to the bathroom.

 

With slow moves, I stepped out of my clothes and threw them in the basket of dirty laundry. I went to the shower and entered the cubicle, closing the glass door behind me. I turned the water on and tensed when the cold drops first hit my skin, before it turned warmer a few seconds later.

 

Sighing, I stood under the hot shower, letting my muscles relax and the tension leave my shoulders. Usually, I showered in the morning but that day had been long and stressing, and I needed to get the upset feeling away. It worked pretty well. I grabbed the soap and washed my body distractedly, lazily running my hands over my skin, massaging my tired limbs in the process. Then I rinsed myself and turned the water off.

 

I took my towel and dried myself as I walked to my bedroom. The towel soon was thrown away and I pulled on some pajama bottoms, my still moist skin slightly damping the pants. Then I grabbed a large t-shirt and put it on to cover my chest. Once dressed, I went back to the kitchen and another daily routine followed.

 

I placed my re-heated food on the table in front of the tv and turned the screen on. I chose a random channel with a drama going on and settled myself on the couch, drowning into the pillows. I could feel I wouldn't last long, I was exhausted.

 

I ate quietly, my eyes glued on the boring tv show. The food was boring too, but as usual I had been too lazy to cook anything nice in the evening. I soon brought my plate back into the kitchen and went back to the couch with an apple. Before sitting down, I turned the lights off. There were great chances that I would fall asleep in the living room agai

Please log in to read the full chapter