Final Moon

Moon Child
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hello dear readers!
So this is the final chapter of this story, I hope you will enjoy it! ^^
Thank you everyone for your support! Thank you for reading, subbing, upvoting and commenting this story!
It was nice to share it with you! <3
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue.

 

 

 

 

 

       He kept his promise after that. Every night, he came back. Only once in a month didn't he show up and those were the nights of the new moon, when the sky was dark and the celestial orb unseen.

 

I learned to adapt my life to the moon's phases, to adjust my working hours with the seasons so that I could be home shortly before the nightfall. I changed my lifestyle just to be able to be awake during the night and spend more time with him. I changed my habits from a lonely life to a new one, one I could share with him.

 

At first, I was exhausted. I didn't give my body enough sleep. I had to work during the day, and then I always spent the night with him, not giving myself the chance to rest. But with time, I finally found the balance I needed. After a few months, I was used to my new life. I slept in the morning, just after the sunrise, then I had to work a few hours, have lunch with my friends, and go home to wait for Eunhyuk to show up.

 

Sometimes I wondered if I shouldn't have been bothered by the whole situation, if maybe I shouldn't have accepted it so easily, shouldn't have overturn my whole life like that, but Eunhyuk was worth it. Definitively worth it. I would do anything to keep him by my side and spend as much time with him as I could.


 

I had learned to lie too.

Lee Hyukjae was the name I had used to introduce him to my friends and family. They believed he was an archivist in a astrology lab. He was clueless about our society, but he knew everything about the sky and the universe beyond our world. They never asked why they couldn't meet him during the day, they believed he was busy working.

Even though they liked him, I wouldn't let them meet too often. I was scared they would find out the truth and try to separate us. Yet, after many months, I had decided to come out clean to them, I was just waiting for the right occasion. I had learned to be patient as well.


 

I had also learned a lot about him.

 

Eunhyuk never fed, never drank, never slept. He was never tired or sick. Sometimes, when I got sick, he seemed to get a bit weaker than usual and we would just lie next to each other, warming each other in a tight embrace.
He liked to watch television and listen to the radio. He liked music. He liked the scent of the rain. He loved to bath with me, to play with the water. He was fascinated with thunders and storms. He was curious about everything and often asked me to take him down to the mall or the city center. He loved going to the movies and hold my hands during the whole movie. He always followed my mood, as if he could read through my mind, and he always knew how to comfort me and cheer me up. He was loving and caring, sometimes a bit childish but always soft-hearted. His innocent face was hidding the seductive and playful part of his personnality. He never seemed to have needs, but he always was excited whenever I wanted some love from him.

If I didn't know better, I would have believed he was human, just like me.

 


I always had questions to ask him. I was curious about everything.

 

“Can you eat?”
“I can, but I don't need it.”

 

“Can you sleep?”
“No, I never sleep.”

 

“Do you hair grow?”
“Of course it does.”
 

“Do you need to cut your nails?”
“My body is like any body, it lives and changes.”
 

“Then, are you going to get old?”
“Yes, I will. Nothing can escape time.”
 

“Can you fly?”
“Now Donghae, that's a silly question. How could I fly? I don't have wings.”

 

Most of the time, he answered my questions with the same soft smile and that glint of tenderness in his eyes. He was patient enough to endure it. But sometimes, his answers remained unclear.

 

There were the evasive ones.

 

“Where are you when you're not here?”

“I'm not very far. During the day, I'm still around but I can't be seen.”

 

Those who made me even more confused.

 

“How old are you?”

“I don't know. I don't watch after time like men do. Years, months, days, hours, minutes, all those are human's notions. I simply have an existence and I don't need to think about how long it has been or when it'll stop. I will live until I die, and that's it.”

 

And the ones who made me realize we weren't so different.

“Where do you come from?”

“Does it matter? We are in the same world, living the same reality. Isn't it enough? I don't care about where I come from, the only thing that matters is where I'm going.”

 

 

Even after months of relationship, there was still some mystery floating around him. At first, it was hard to accept it. I wanted to know everything about him, to understand who he was and how all of this was possible, why had he chosen me, out of all the others? I still had those questions in my mind, even if I learned to simply accept him the way he was.

 

 

 

 

 

           I was coming back from work, driving a bit too fast as usual. I couldn't wait to get home, back to my flat, where he was probably already waiting for me.
We had decided it would be safer to proceed like this. He had once showed up at my office, one day I had worked overtime, and my co-workers had been curious about who he was. Yet, I couldn't really answer that question, and so I had told him it would be better if he didn't appear in front of too many people. The less they knew, the safer we were.

He also had appeared once in my car, while I was driving back home. I almost had had an accident. Again, we had decided it would be for the best if he didn't do that again.

 

And so, he started to wait for me at home. Most of the time, I managed to get my work completed before the moon would rise in the sky. It was easy during summer because the night would fall late in the evening. But during winter, days were short and I would occasionally come home after the sunset.

 

It was a December night. Christmas was near, it would be the first time we'd celebrate it together. It wasn't so late but the sky was already deep dark, only enlightened by the crescent moon. I was a bit late and I knew he was already waiting for me.

 

I sped up.

 

About ten minutes later, I parked my car in front of my building and quickly got out of it. I tried not to run inside but I couldn't contain my impatience as I pressed repeatedly on the button calling for the elevator.

As soon as the metallic doors opened, I rushed inside and pressed the button for my floor. The ri

Please log in to read the full chapter