Fifth Moon

Moon Child
Please log in to read the full chapter

Another update before I go on a four-day-long hiking trip ^^
Thank you all of you for subbing, upvoting and commenting this story <3
Next chapter will be the epilogue :)

 

 

 

Chapter Five.

 

 

 

 

          The bright sunlight passing through the window woke me up the following morning. My breathing was calm and slow, my heartbeats steady, my body was appeased. The warming sun hitting on my limbs felt good.

 

I heaved a deep sigh of contentment, slightly shifted under the sheets, and then my eyelids fluttered open. I stared at the ceiling for a moment, before my head moved to the side and my eyes traveled down to the empty space beside me.

 

Of course, Eunhyuk was gone, vanished, no trace of him. And yet, the crumpled sheets still showed someone had been laying there, just beside me, and the pillow still had the form of his head.


It hadn't been a dream, I had the proof of it, and yet once again he had disappeared, like a dream fading away in the morning.

 

My heart sank.

I knew he would be gone, but it still hurt.

I closed my eyes again and rolled on my side, grabbing the pillow and hugging it tightly. I nuzzled the soft fabric and inhaled deeply. I couldn't smell anything and yet I kept taking deep breaths, imagining his scent lingering on the sheets.

 

Memories of the night slowly came back to me. I remembered how we kissed, how we touched each other, my hands on his body, my fingers on his skin.

I shivered and the pace of my heartbeats slightly quickened.

I remembered his face, his kisses, and the wonderful feeling of having him in my arms as we had cuddled.

I loved him.

I couldn't lie to myself. I truly had fallen in love with him. How could I deny it when my whole being was screaming it? How could I deny it when those feelings turned out so strong they were taking control over everything? Refusing the reality was pointless, fighting my feelings was useless.


I was sure about my own feelings. I didn't need to know everything about him to love him. He hadn't told me anything about him, but it didn't mean I couldn't see who he was by myself.

I loved the appeasing aura flowing from him. I loved the mystery surrounding him. I loved his voice, soft and sweet. I loved his smile, so warm and dazzling. I loved the tenderness in his eyes, and yet there was this glint of sadness and loneliness shining in his dark orbs. I loved how innocent he looked, and that strong curiosity he had for everything. I loved his arms around me, making me feel safe and secure. I loved his lips on mine, making me feel so special.

 

With him, I was complete. The painful hollow in my heart was filled. I didn't feel lonely anymore.

 

So how could I deny those feelings? It was love. It had to be.

 

And though I knew he always disappeared in the morning, I still started to freak out.

 

What if it didn't mean anything for him? What if he didn't feel the same? What if he decided never to come back? I had no idea about how he felt, or what he wanted from me. It was terrifying.

 

My alarm clock rang loudly. I buried my face deeper into the pillow, trying to ignore it and hang on my thoughts about Eunhyuk, but I knew I had to go to work. I didn't want to. I wished I could just stay in bed until the next full moon, until the night Eunhyuk would come back to me.

A whole month is so long, and I was already missing him. I wasn't sure if I would be able to endure it again.

 

And yet, I had no choice. The only thing I could do was wait for him to come back.

 

It took me an awfully long time before I managed to roll out of bed and stand up on my feet. As I got myself ready for work, showering, getting dressed and taking a quick breakfast, my mind kept drifting away. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I couldn't stop thinking about him.

 

The sadness I had felt waking up and not having him by my side slowly got replaced by some sort of melancholic happiness.

 

The night had been magic. For a short time, he had been mine, completely mine.

Even if I wasn't sure about his feelings, or if he would even come back, I couldn't stop myself from smiling softly.

 

 

     For the first time since months, I entered the building where I worked with a grin plastered on my face. My co-workers seemed delighted. They all greeted me happily and asked me if something had happened, because it had been a while since I hadn't been so cheerful. I kept answering with short and evasive replies, greeting them back softly as I walked through the hallways.

 

“Good morning Donghae!” Kyuhyun greeted me as I sat down at my desk office.

 

“Morning”, I replied with a sweet smile.

 

My co-worker cocked up an eyebrow and watched me intently, his piercing eyes scrutinizing me. I averted my gaze and grabbed my bag to get my stuff ready for work.

 

“Okay”, he scoffed. “What's going on?”

 

“What do you mean?” I pretended not to understand.

 

“You were all gloomy and dreamy for weeks, and now you show up with that silly smile, something must have happened.”

 

“Maybe”, I admitted with a mysterious grin.

 

He stood up and came closer, until he leaned on my desk, sitting on the wooden furniture.

 

“Who's the lucky guy? Do I know him?”, he stated.

 

I rolled my eyes but didn't deny anything. He wasn't wrong, after all.

“No, you don't”, I sighed. I pressed the power button of my computer and sat down again, checking the pile of papers I hadn't been able to finish the day before.

 

“What's his name?”

 

“Why do you care?”

 

“That guy managed to make you smile again, he's gotta be some god or what”, Kyuhyun smirked. “Whatever. Tell me his name, I want to...”

 

“You two!”, our boss' voice boomed from the door. “Aren't you going to work?! Am I paying you to chit-chat?”

 

We quickly bowed and Kyuhyun almost ran back to his desk. The man eyed us for a moment before he spun around and left the office. I didn't wait a second and started to work. I knew he could come back anytime to check if we weren't lazing around. That man could be such a pain in the ...

 

“Don't think you're getting away with this!” Kyuhyun whispered loud enough for me to hear. “I'm going to tell Jungsu about it!”

 

I smiled and turned to my computer, ignoring him. He started the grumble but eventually focused back on his own work.

 

 

 

     The day passed like that, slowly. Kyuhyun kept pestering me about Eunhyuk and never gave up about asking for his name, his age, what he looked like, and how did I met him, and when did it start, etc.

I didn't say a word. I didn't want to. And he wouldn't believe me anyway.

 

At the end of the day, I couldn't take it anymore. The brat had exhausted me. I could feel a huge head-ache making my blood pulse against my temples. For the first time since I knew him, I was happy to say goodbye to him. I left the office, not giving him enough time to catch me before I ran to the elevator.

 

I sighed in relief when the metallic doors closed and the machine went down. I waited a couple minutes, pressed against some other co-workers leaving too, before the ride ended. I just wanted to go home and think about Eunhyuk and how I missed him already.

Yet, when I stepped out of the elevator and exited the building, I couldn't even reach my car before an arm wrapped itself around my neck, almost strangling me.

 

“You little brat!”

 

“Heechul hyung!” I gasped a

Please log in to read the full chapter