First Moon

Moon Child
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hey guys!
So here I am with a new story (again)! ^^
This one is going to be very short. It's already written and almost completed so it will be updated fast :)
I hope you'll like it! Thank you so much for subbing, upvoting and leaving a comment! <3

 

 

Moon Child.

 

Chapter One.

 

 

 

 

 

          I kept staring straight in front of me, my eyes stuck on the dark road. My right hand was holding the steering wheel while the left one supported my face, my elbow resting against the car's door. The wind blowing from the slightly opened window was running through my brown locks, tickling me pleasantly.
 

The night was fresh but I liked it. The chilliness of the air was keeping me awake and aware. I didn't feel so much tired but my mind kept on spacing out. I had to constantly remind myself that I was driving and had to pay attention to the road.
 

I wasn't driving fast. I could barely see the black road before me, despite the bright silver rays of the full moon enlightening the darkness surrounding me. I hadn't turned the radio on. The silence filling the car was appeasing for once and I was too restless to enjoy any music. I had a lot to think about.


I was on my way back from Mokpo, my hometown. It had been a while. I hadn't returned there since the death of my father. It was too painful, too hard. I missed my mother and my brother a lot, everyday I felt guilty for leaving them on their own, but facing the grave of my father, that man I had loved more than anybody else in this world, was a pure torture.


When he had died, I had collapsed. I remember I had been to the funerals, I had seen his coffin being covered with soil and his body being buried deep into the ground. I had been standing for hours in front of the gray stone where his name was engraved, I had talked to him in silence, I had shed countless tears. I had said goodbye, I had said sorry for not being there when he left. And yet, the second I stepped out of the cemetery, I knew I wouldn't be able to face him anytime soon.


A year.


It had taken me a whole year before my heart healed enough to return to his grave. A year of avoiding him and the painful reality of his death.


After losing him, something remained broken inside of me. The boy and the man I used to be died when my father passed away. Time had passed and I had learned to smile again, to move on and keep living, to cherish my memories of him, but the broken part of my heart never fully healed. Never, ever was I the same after that day.


And there I was, one year later, back to him.


I had driven back to my hometown on an impulse, without really knowing why. I just had felt the urge to go back.


After one of those ordinary long and boring days of work, I had stepped inside my apartment and the usual loneliness had crashed over me, crushing my heart without mercy. I don't know why I missed him even more than usual that night, but I did.


I had grabbed a bag, some clothes hastily shoved inside, and my car keys and without thinking further I had returned to Mokpo. I had driven for a few hours before I had arrived at my mother's house.


I had hoped the painful feeling would be eased by my mother's love and my brother's comforting presence but it didn't. In the middle of the night, I had taken my car and driven to the cemetery to visit my father. I was seeking the strong feeling of safety I used to feel around him, but the cold grave didn't warm me up.


I stayed in Mokpo the night and the following day, until I left shortly before the sun set. I had to return to Seoul. I couldn't miss another day of work or I would lose my job.


I still had an hour of driving before reaching the capital, but I wasn't in a hurry. I had even decided to take the small roads instead of the highway. It was hard to admit but I didn't want to go home yet.


I wasn't physically tired, but I was mentally exhausted. The trip hadn't not soothed my heart. I had hoped I'd feel better but nothing had changed. I was still lonely and empty. Those dark feelings were eating me up a bit more everyday. I had this hollow in my heart, that sensation of weakness that wouldn't leave me. I could feel something was missing in my life, something I was desperate to find, and yet I had no idea where to look for it.


I was lost into those dark thoughts when a sudden bang made me jump. My car swayed right and left, and I stepped hard on the breaks. Luckily, I wasn't driving fast and the road was deserted. I managed to stop the vehicle quickly, parking it hastily on the side of the road, where no other car would crash into it.


Once the car was turned off, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a few seconds, my heart pounding crazily fast in my chest. My knuckles were white from holding the wheel too hard and my nails were biting the leather protecting it.


My heart still racing, I finally heaved a deep shaking sigh, in a vain attempt to calm down. It took me a whole minute before I managed to open the door and step out of the car, slightly stumbling on my feet. I walked around the hood, checking the tires and found out one of front ones was flat. And I had no extra to change it.


"Damn it!" I cursed between my teeth and kicked the damaged wheel in frustration.


I knelt in front of it and tried to figure out how bad it was. I ran my fingers over it and felt the raspy rubber under my digits. It didn't take me long to realize there was no way I could drive with a tire like that.


I stood up and scratched my nape. I glanced around, only to get the confirmation that I was in the middle of nowhere, and there was no house or gas station around, or whatever. I was alone there and needed someone to come and help me.

Please log in to read the full chapter