Supporting Awards

Treat Me a Fic!

[December 8, 2013] Hello! Sorry for the long delay for the announcement, there are a hell LOT of considerations that I have to undertake to determine the winners, and also, the prize preparation. Originally, I only wanted to drop a paragraph or two of comments to each participants for the goody bags, but after some consideration, I decide to make it a more comprehensive comment. So, I hope the delay is justifiable? Hehe.

Anyway, there will be 3 chapters for the winners/awards announcement and 1 final chapter to officially end this semi-contest.

 

Supporting Awards

This is something I have already planned before holding the contest –BUT I intentionally did not reveal it for some reasons:

 

  1. While the followings are also "awards", there will be no karma gifts or anything. I'll just have a brief comment explaining the reasons behind choosing the winners of these supporting awards (a.k.a. me going to spazz on a particular aspect of the winning stories)
  2. Despite the absence of karma gifts, as a token of appreciation, I will give a free poster design for the following fanfics.  Of course, there's no requirement to use my poster (of course! I certainly am aware that most of you have gorgeous posters already, some other of you are even poster designer yourself, but anyway... just... a gift, maybe?)
  3. I am curious to see who really pays attention to the most little "details"–even when the semi-contest holder does not publicly 'mandate' or require it. Like... a mild curiosity on who's gonna try the hardest even when it's not an exact part of the reviewing/judging rubric.

 

Of course, the winners of these supporters awards do not secure themselves a seat on the winner spots. If you scrutinize the following award categories, they are only minor elements to the story (e.g. I will not have "Best Plot", "Best Characterization", or "Best Style" category in this additional award). It's just fun creating these awards, and they may contribute to the substantial evaluating rubric, but not by a substantial margin.

 

Without further ado, congratulation to the winners of the additional awards!

 

 

1.       Best Title: Tryst, by Moonflower_515

Reason: The title works out well because of its simplicity –yet at the same time, the word has a certain charm to lure readers in. The word itself is pretty queer and I like how it works like an effective punch line. A minor bonus is added because the title is also still connected to the plot. 

 

 

 

2.       Most 'Catchy' Title: I Will Take the Sun into my Mouth, by kisoap

Reason: I immediately smiled when I first read the title. The title is intriguing and certainly makes me want to read more –with the metaphor and all. The wondering and "what if's" that popped in my mind really triggers my will to read the fic. I would have named this the Best Title, but I do realize that this originates from a poem, and there is no actual originality. But I commend the choice of the title, because indeed, it caught my attention right away.

 

3.       Best Foreword/Story Description: Rocketing Away, by yingjumeihua

Reason:  Truth be told, this section is not easy to judge. There are some other interesting foreword/story description –drafted intricately with poetic words, but in the end, my choice actually falls to this simplistic approach. The foreword is short, sweet, and gives away the feel of promises, memories, and a tint of delicate bitterness. The first tagline ("Him and I –we believed") actually already stole my attention, and the paragraph after that also is personally appealing to me.

 

4.       Best Prologue: Blank Pages, by -betterthanyou

Reason:  My reason for choosing this as the best prologue (under the 'Description' heading in the Foreword chapter) is because I really felt as if I was reading a real fantasy novel's prologue when I read it. I love how the prologue already tells some traits and quirks of the main lead and  there are just elements mixed in the prologue that already tell how whimsical and satirical this story could be. And what I love the most from the prologue – it perfectly describes the surreality of the realm. The prologue already creates a world on its own, so kudos for that!

 

5.       Best Story Tagline: Just Give Me a Minute, by forevernever

"But what is time, when we have forever?"

Reason: I love the contemplation behind the query –like it implies hope in a subtle and definitely romantic way. Like a modern rendition of Shakespeare's "what's in a name?" query. And also, the tagline actually fits with the overall concept of the story: from the title, the chapter titling, the drabbles composing, and all. I just love the quote very much.

 

6.       Best Poster: Predator, by bluesnickers364

Reason:  Aesthetically pleasant to the eyes, wonderful coloring & texturing –I'd have to compliment the right choice of textures, because I do think all textures used in that poster is very fitting. There are other gorgeous posters as well, but I love how the poster is actually able to convey the message, and even the concept of the story. The font used is perfect, and of course, I'm so glad that bluesnickers364 actually made the poster herself :) I was actually ready to crown a non-participating poster shop, but I'm glad that coincidentally and objectively, the best poster is made by the writer herself. 

 

Notes: Ah. Why in the world would I give a poster gift to someone who wins the best poster?! Hahahaha. Your poster-making skill far, far, far, far exceeds me –but for the sake of equality, let me give it a shot, eh?

 

 

7.       Best Supporting Character: Jungshin in He Said, She Said, by circee

Reason: As a supporting character, Jungshin in this fic truly shines –and while this may be interpreted in both good and bad ways, I think he even outshines the male lead character. He has an interesting mix of good-and-bad persona –a gray-kind of character that might be cunning but not necessarily that evil. There is a certain quirk/flair to his character, but his reaction is still humane and realistic.

 

 

8.       Most Interesting Lead Character: Jonghyun in Predator, by bluesnickers364

Reason: This is a very, if not one of the hardest categories to decide on. There are a handful of other interesting lead characters in other entries, and really –it's a close 'battle'. There are a couple of reasons why I decide to crown the characterization of Jonghyun in Predator as the winner in this section, though. I do like his role as this clumsy yet smart detective who actually pays attention to a lot of things. There are definite layers to his characterization. His characterization here is subjectively worth fangirling on, and objectively, there are simply dimensions to him. And what astounds me the most actually is the fact that there are only four chapters, and Jonghyun was not even always in the spotlight –but despite his lack of real screen time, his character still catches my attention effortlessly.

 

9.       Best Antagonist: Jinri in the Happy Committee, by onigirisama

Reason: I love her, sometimes more than the combination of the protagonists in the story. There's just this sense of cute evilness in her and she still manages to be genuinely adorable but psychotic at the same time. She is the type of character that I seriously will be afraid of if she exists in real life. For that, I crown her as the best antagonist here!

Note: It really is tricky to prepare the poster prize for your entry because I know the poster is part of your 'surprise' in the fiction. Haha, nonetheless, I hope the below chapter can capture the spirit of your fiction without revealing too much.

 

 

10.   Best Management of Characters*: Suicide Circle, by -heartfelt

*This category is created because I understand that the complexity of story sometimes gives a harder challenge to the characters. A romance/slice-of-life fanfiction would usually have more advantage in digging a character's layers –given that the story itself is usually character-driven. However, there are some stories where inevitably have an abundant amount of characters –and that's what I'm going to evaluate: how well does one juggle and manage the complexity of dozens of characters in a fiction.

 

Reason: Another tough choice. But I choose Suicide Circle because despite the nearly flowing introduction of new characters, in general, the characters are maintained very well. There are times when I feel the focus is either lost or focused to some characters that are not very 'necessary' –but in overall, there is a complicated web of characters and they all manage to have their own quirks –one is more apparent than the other, but still, quirks. It's a hard task and I think the author did well in it.

 

There is also other fanfic which shows a potential great character management, but since there are only less than five chapters –I cannot exactly say that the characters management in a long-time-drive has been tested.

 

 

11.   Best Casting: Jaejoong and Nana in Tryst, by Moonflower_515

Reason: The concept and the plot in Tryst somehow totally fits the image of Jaejoong and Nana –and this is what I'd say a perfect casting, a perfect choice of pairing for the appropriate type of story. Had this story been 'played' by other characters, I don't think the impact of the story would have hit as good as it did with Jaejoong and Nana.

 

12.   Best Romantic Scene: Heartbeat, by sooyoungie-unnie

The letter written by Kyuhyun to Sooyoung

Reason: Actually, I wanted to award this as the best tragic scene, but no. I think, despite everything, the fic and the dedication of the characters inside it are very, very romantic –particularly the letter scene. The love between the characters is just genuinely felt, and rather than seeing it as a bitter ending fic, I actually think this is very romantic –so romantic my heart actually aches.

 

13.   Best Angst/Tragic Scene: Weird, by vanilla1211

Reason: There are actually dozens of character's death within the 37 entries of this semi-contest. While I –as unsympathetic as I sound – may not always be moved by a death scene in a fanfiction, I am actually really liking the approach 'Weird' takes. The death element in this story is not what makes me award this fic as the best tragedy –it's just the concept and the whole desperation and beauty involving this morbid relationship. I don't want to giveaway too much spoiler, but "Weird", indeed, has the most tragic ending in the whole entries.

 

 

14.   Most Hilarious Storyline: Fire and Ice, by yoojinyun

Reason: Actually, Heechul's dedication and efforts in wooing Jessica in this fic nearly becomes the Best Romantic Scene, but after deliberating for a while, I decided to give that award to other entry. However, I really am fully, thoroughly entertained by this story and I think it deserves an award for being a breath of fresh air among the other entries –which are either romantic, angsty, horror, mystery or other genres. Heechul being a crossdresser will always be funny, but this element is interpreted into the story smoothly and there are some funny narration throughout the story as well.

 

15.   Best Side Story / Prequel / Sequel / Bonus Story: Normal (Prequel of Weird), by vanilla1211

Reason: Although the prequel is not included as part of the entry, I think both as a stand-alone fanfiction or a supporting fanfiction, "Normal" is a great story. While even without this prequel, the main story is still enjoyable, I think "Normal" complements "Weird" nicely. There is also a subtle change of writing stylistic between the main story and the prequel –a feat that I consider as a fresh approach.

 

16.   Most Realistic Storyline: I Will Take the Sun into My Mouth, by kisoap

Reason: This fic wins this award not merely because the setting takes place in the nowadays idols' life struggle. Yes, that matters, but there are other fanfictions deciding to take a similar setting as well. "I will take the sun into my mouth" sets itself apart in terms of realism because not only the situations, but the scenes, the occurrences, incidents, reactions and everything just feel so real and there is, undeniably, a believable possibility that the events described in the story can actually happen.

 

17.   Best Dialogue Composition: I Will Take the Sun into My Mouth, by kisoap

Reason: Partly related to the realistic storyline, but I just simply love all dialogues in this fic. Like... the dialogue feels tangible, close to reality, and just plainly charming. There are also numerous dialogues in the fiction which can even show the characters' traits or dialogues which can make me want to weep. It's perfect. I just love it

 

18.   Best Plot Twist: The Happy Committee, by onigirisama

Reason: While it's not completely unpredictable (given the hints and nuances described in the preliminary part of the story), I still enjoy the story. This is the kind of story that –even when you know the end goal, you might have difficulties figuring out the means to that end goal. I love it about this story. And there are also generous amount of 'trickeries' –not only from the substance of the story itself. Ah, I cannot really spill too much –I even think I'm already hinting too much, sorry.

 

19.   Story that Surprisingly I Personally Like: Becoming Summer Choi, by codenameclumsy

Reason: Weird award, blame me, haha. But I just want to point this out because while technically this story may not be as good as some other entries (no offense to the writer, because here comes the good part... I hope), but I just am liking the story very much. I've stated some points in my review to her, and this is the kind of story that I just... don't exactly know how and why, but I just really, really like it! Well then again, even beyond awesome writing technicalities and techniques, the ability to get the feels crossed is equally as (if not more) important, so that's why this story gets this award!

 

 

20.   Best Couple/Ship Chemistry: Kyuhyun and Sooyoung in Tempo di Dio, by sooyoungie-unnie

Reason: I actually wanted to pick a pairing from a slice-of-life romance type of story, because usually, that kind of story has the best couple/ship chemistry. But I finally decide that I like the dynamic between Kyuhyun and Sooyoung more in this fanfiction. There is nothing per se romantic there, but the traits of the characterizations alone are shippable. It also helps that there is this notion of a long-shared bond between them.