Bifurcation (1)

I Believe In Your Existence
ENDING 1
 
Index:
Daehyun speaking / Daehyun speaking
Young Jae speaking
Yongguk speaking
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Young Jae sat on the rooftop one last time as he stared up at the sky. He continued staring at a specific spot, a bit of a happy look slowly encroaching across his face. “Daehyun.. I know you’re watching over me..”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“It’s... good to be back.”
 
Young Jae stood by the front door of our apartment as he slowly looked around. I was proud of Young Jae. He had stayed at Yongguk’s apartment for only a week and he seemed to be a whole lot better already. His smile came more naturally to him and he rarely ever cried anymore. I guess that staying at Yongguk’s apartment really helped him out.
 
“What.. should I do now?”
 
Young Jae looked down at his bag before taking a hold of the handle and rolling the suitcase into our room. He stood there for a few minutes as his eyes slowly scanned the surrounding area. Soon enough, he let out a small sigh.
 
“Daehyun.. I’m doing better now. I.. I still miss you, but.. I won’t cry anymore.”
 
I briefly touched Young Jae’s shoulder, causing a light smile to play across Young Jae’s face. He seemed to give a small nod before he made his way to the kitchen. I followed closely after him, watching his every moves. I guess.. it was just to make sure he didn’t do anything I didn’t want him to do. In a way, I was sort of a control freak but.. I wanted him to live happily without my help.
 
Young Jae soon opened the fridge and the second he bent down and looked inside, he frowned a bit. Looking past him, I could see that there was almost next to nothing inside the fridge. I wasn’t really surprised, considering the fact that he hadn’t gone grocery shopping in weeks.
 
“Nothing here.. I guess.. I have to go grocery shopping..”
 
Young Jae stood up straight and sighed a bit before closing the fridge door. He looked down at the ground a bit as a small frown showed up on his face. He turned and leaned against the fridge, looking forward. I moved in close to him, examining his face in an attempt to figure out what he was thinking of, but sadly.. nothing came to mind.
 
“Okay.. I can do this.”
 
Young Jae took in a deep breath before he let it all out as he made his way over to the front door. He quickly checked his pockets to make sure that he had his things before he opened the front door and was soon on his way to the grocery store.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey Daehyun, what do you.. want.. to.. eat...”
 
Young Jae looked around as a solemn look appeared on his face. He let out a small sigh before he slowly shook his head before lightly slapping his own face. Once he felt like he was content, he soon began walking again as he looked around the aisles. “No.. Daehyun isn’t here anymore..”
 
I felt sad that he was still thinking about me, but I guess he would grow out of it soon. After all, he was getting better with living without me.
 
Young Jae soon came to a stop in front of something that had caught his attention. I smiled a bit as I watched him contemplating on whether he would get it or not. Usually he would ask me if he should get it and I did usually say yes, but since I wasn’t there, I was rather curious what his decision would be. Slowly, he reached for the item, but soon came to a stop. He bit his bottom lip before he finally took a hold of the item and placed it into the cart.
 
“Only because Daehyun would have said yes anyway..”
 
Just as he started pushing the cart once more, he soon found his cart crashing into another person’s cart. “I-I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to-”
 
“Oh, Young Jae.”
 
Young Jae looked up at the familiar face of Yongguk, who only gave his usual gummy smile. Young Jae sheepishly smiled as he rubbed the back of his head. I raised a single brow as I looked between the two. “You’re out grocery shopping.”
 
“Y-Yea.. there wasn’t anything in the fridge..”
 
“Good. You’re slowly getting to your feet.”
 
“Yea.. It’s still a little hard, but I feel like I can do this.”
 
“Mind if I join you?”
 
“H-Huh?” Young Jae looked up at Yongguk, a bit confused as he made his way over to the side of both carts. Soon enough, Yongguk began transferring the things in his cart into Young Jae’s cart, causing Young Jae’s eyes to widen a bit. “W-What are y-”
 
“I’m joining you.”
 
“W-Why?”
 
“You don’t want to spend time with me?”
 
“W-Well I do but..”
 
“Then it’s settled. Come on.” Yongguk soon took a hold of Young Jae’s cart and began pushing it. Young Jae hesitated a bit before he soon began following after Yongguk. I followed after them, a bit curious as to how this would play out. Sure, I was jealous and wanted to punch Yongguk for hitting on Young Jae, but since I’m dead now.. I guess it was alright. I just wish that he waited just a little longer after my death to be hitting on him.
 
“What are you cooking today?”
 
“I.. I was going to make haemul pajeon.”
 
“Oh? Then why did you get chocolate?”
 
“T-There’s nothing wrong with getting chocolate!”
 
“I know I know, sorry. I didn’t mean to off-”
 
“No, it’s alright..”
 
“Is that all you’re going to make?”
 
“Well... I was going to make chap chae, soondubu jjigae, kimchi, maybe sujeonggwa a-”
 
“Woah woah woah. Hold up. Why are you about to cook so much food?”
 
“Oh.. well Daeh-.. I-I mean.. nothing..”
 
“So.. you were going to cook it for Daehyun..”
 
“... Y-Yes... I guess I just.. wanted to cook all of these things without really thinking about it..”
 
“It’s alright. It’ll take you time to get used to not having to cook so much anymore.”
 
“Yea..”
 
“Well, then what are you going to cook?”
 
“I.. I don’t know. I guess I’ll just go with my first choice.”
 
“The haemul pajeon?”
 
“Yea... that one.”
 
“Good choice. I’ll help you cook.”
 
“No.. you don’t have to.”
 
“Okay then. If you don’t want me to help, then you can cook for me.”
 
“H-Huh..? Well.. alright..”
 
The pair walked around the grocery store, getting things that they needed for the haemul pajeon that.. I sadly couldn’t partake in eating also. As time passed while they shopped, Young Jae’s spirits seemed to raise. In fact, he was even laughing at a few jokes that Yongguk was telling.. even if they weren’t funny.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It didn’t take them much longer before they finished buying their groceries and were back at our apartment. Once they were inside the apartment, they made their way into the kitchen. “Hey.. you mind if I leave my stuff in your fridge until I leave?”
 
“No.. it’s alright. I’ll start cooking.”
 
As Yongguk placed away the groceries, Young Jae soon began cooking once more. He seemed a bit hesitant when he first started, but he seemed to get into his cooking when he kept going. I wasn’t surprised, considering it has been a while since Young Jae has cooked anything.
 
“You sure you don’t need any help?”
 
“I’m fine.”
 
“Okay. I’ll go watch tv then.”
 
Yongguk made his way over to the couch in the living room and sat down, turning the television on as he began watching the channels. Though.. despite the fact that the television was currently playing, Yongguk’s attention seemed to keep turning to Young Jae.
 
“It’s ready. I’ll bring it over to you.”
 
“Okay. I look forward to it!”
 
Young Jae placed the haemul pajeon on two separate plates before he reached for the chopsticks. He froze as he looked at the only two pairs of chopsticks that was currently there. He seemed to be having a hard time trying to decide, but when I placed my hand on Young Jae’s shoulder. This seemed to cause him to calm down a bit.
 
“O.. Okay.. Daehyun..”
 
Young Jae took the two pairs of chopsticks and placed it on different plates before he made his way over to the living room and sat down. He held out the plate that had his chopsticks to Yongguk and gave a small smile. “H-Here.. I hope it’s good.”
 
“With how much Daehyun spoke about your cooking, I bet it is!”
 
Young Jae took a hold of the chopsticks that I normally used and stared at it for a few moments before he began eating. I smiled a bit as I sat next to him. It was kind of cute that he didn’t want anyone else using my chopsticks.
 
“Wow Young Jae.. this is pretty good! I can see why Daehyun talks about your cooking all the time.”
 
“I-It’s not that great..”
 
“Now you’re just being modest.”
 
“W-Well..”
 
“By the way..”
 
Young Jae looked up from his food and looked over at Yongguk, who seemed to be nervous about something. Though, nervous for Yongguk only made him a bit scary with how he looked. Not that I was scared of him or anything. Yongguk slowly turned to look at Young Jae with a serious look on his face.
 
“Have you decided on that date?”
 
“I.. I still can’t.. it’s.. too soon still..”
 
“How long should I wait then?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I’ll wait as long as you need me to.”
 
“I.. I don’t know..”
 
“Then I’ll keep waiting. No matter how much time you need.. I will always wait for you.”
 
“Can you.. please stop. It’s too soon.. for any of this.”
 
“I’m sorry..”
 
“It’s alright. Just.. don’t do it anymore.”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Time passed as days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. Finally, after about four or five months, Young Jae had finally decided to go on a date with Yongguk. He was very hesitatnt about it and wasn’t sure at all if he was ready, but he decided that he should at least try.
 
I was glad that Young Jae was finally dating again. Once I was sure that he would be able to handle himself, I.. decided that it was time to move on.
 
Sitting on the bed that Young Jae was currently sleeping in, I decided that.. I would at least tell him good bye before I left. Placing my forehead against his, I closed my eyes as I focused just as I had done so that first night. Soon.. that familiar feeling just like before made its way known.
 
“Daehyun...? Is that you?”
 
“Young Jae..”
 
I smiled as I held Young Jae once more in my arms. It brought tears to my eyes as I smiled, slowly caressing Young Jae’s head. It felt nice to hold him once more. “Daehyun! It’s been.. so long since I’ve seen you.”
 
“Young Jae..”
 
I pulled away a bit as I held Young Jae by his shoulders and looked deeply into his eyes. His eyes shone brightly and despite this being a dream, it was close enough to the real thing. I smiled a bit as I brought a single finger up and caressed Young Jae’s cheek.
 
“Young Jae.. I have to leave now.”
 
“Leave? But you just got here!”
 
“No.. I mean.. I have to move on.”
 
“What.. What do you mean by move on?”
 
“I’m.. moving on.. to the afterlife.”
 
“You.. so.. you’re.. you’re leaving me after all..”
 
Young Jae slowly pulled away as he shook his head. He turned his back to me as he looked down at the ground ahead of him. “I.. I don’t know if I can keep going without you..”
 
“You have Yongguk now..”
 
“Are you leaving me.. because I’m dating Yongguk?”
 
“No..”
 
I walked up to Young Jae and wrapped my arms around his waist. He had attempted to pull my arms off of him, but he soon only ended up keeping his hands on my arms. “I’m going because.. you don’t need me anymore.”
 
“But I-”
 
“No Young Jae. You.. you’re strong enough to live without me.”
 
“So.. does this mean.. that this is the last time I’ll see you?”
 
“Yea...”
 
“And all those times I felt your presence...?”
 
“Yea..”
 
“I.. I don’t know.. if I can do this..”
 
“You can. You’re learning to be able to handle yourself.”
 
“Can.. can we spend time together now?”
 
“We don’t really have a lot of time..”
 
Young Jae turned to look at me. Tears were clearly falling down from his face, but I only smiled as I continued to hold him in my arms. “Young Jae.. Just remember.. I will always love you.”
 
Young Jae looked at me through tear filled eyes as he stared into my eyes and nodded. “I.. I’ll always love you too..”
 
I leaned in and planted a soft kiss on his lips. Young Jae ran a hand through my hair as he deepened the kiss as we both held onto each other tightly. I was sure that neither one of us wanted to ever let go of each other, but.. I soon pulled away.
 
“I have to.. say goodbye now..”
 
“What?! But..”
 
“Just remember.. our date to the hill.. and the star..”
 
Young Jae nodded before..
 
Young Jae sat up in his bed as he looked around. He placed a hand to his forehead as a few tear drops slowly slid down his cheeks. After he sat there for a second or two, he wiped the tears away before he smiled a bit. “Goodbye.. Daehyun..”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
That.. is my story. It’s not a long story, I will admit that. However... I feel like it had to be told. Young Jae is the one man that I love with all of my heart. I.. was able to help him in a small way. But, no matter how small the help that’s received, it can help in big ways.
 
I guess... that’s it. That’s all that I needed to say. I guess all that’s left is... moving on. Though.. I guess one more thing needs to be said. I.. feel kind of embarrassed, but.. here goes. I just hope that.. he can hear me.
 
"Young Jae... just remember.. I’ll always be watching over you."
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
[[ My Own Thoughts:
 
I know, I know..
This ending wasn't all that well planned out..
And it seemed rushed..
Buut.. it was the only thing I could come up with >.<..
I do hope that it is at least adequate enough for everyone.
 
Ooh and uh..
I didn't say anything earlier, but..
There are two different endings.
So everyone can just..
Pick an ending that they like and go with that one. xD
 
I also apologize if I'm not using the words correctly.. >.<  ]]