Six - Finale

Coincidental Fate

"Tick... tock... tick... tock..."

The tick of the second hand resonated in Xiumin's hotel room. No lights were , but he could see the timing on the clock clearly.

12:35a.m.

His chest rose and fell steadily. A couple more minutes before he would risk his life for something considered foolish to the people in his company. He was supposedly the most mature, but what he was planning to do was definitely not one that matches his supposed maturity. I guess it's true what they say, love makes you do stupid things.

Was it possible to develop feelings for someone in such a short time? For Xiumin, the answer was probably yes. He figured that there's more than meets the eye though. Perhaps they shared a past, he could not remember. However, he decided that it was best to postpone all his questions to later. His top priority was to get out of the hotel without being seen. It was a wonder how each member was given the whole room to themselves. Yes, they were not assigned the biggest rooms since they stay inside alone (Not really, Xiumin was sure Tao and Chen were sleeping in another member's room), but it was still a whole room to themselves. Their staff and managers sleep in the rooms nearest to the lift lobby, and sadly their managers sleep in the room next to his. Sneaking out would definitely be a challenge. It would be worse if they do patrolling to watch out for fans.

Xiumin rolled out of bed and got dressed. It was pretty cooling for a summer night, so he threw on his black jacket. He hesitated at the door. Was he doing the right thing? They were public figures in their own ways, going out like this endangers both of them. Worse still, his company and possibly hers too. His breathing was getting rigid, the lump in his throat growing. Xiumin turned around and leaned against the door. Closing his eyes, he pictured Haerin smiling at him in the darkness, her black hair blending with the night. Her calming voice that sent his heart beating and her laughter that all life away from him.

It sounded ridiculous, absurd even. How can anyone fall in love so quickly, really? The answer seemed unclear to him now. Love at first sight normally applied to infatuated teenagers didn't it? A frown found its way to Xiumin's face, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. He opened his eyes.

Those were answers he needed to find.

Carefully, he pushed open the hotel room door and peeked outside. The corridor was dimly lit, and fortunately empty; void of managers, free of fans. With a victorious smile, Xiumin stepped out of his room and closed the door as soundlessly as possible. Clutching onto his backpack tight, he slipped past his managers' room and escaped down the stairs. Xiumin would not want to create the slightest bit of noise, including the 'ding' when the lift arrives.

Memtally cursing himself, he ran down 10 floors before taking the lift. Climbing down 23 floors would not only be time-consuming, but energy-consuming too. His heartbeat accelerated in the lift with every passing second. Before the door slid open, Xiumin threw on his cap and hood. , I must look so suspicious.

Walking as normally as he could, Xiumin zoomed past the lobby and out of the hotel. Xiumin prayed that no one would catch him. His heart skipped a beat when he saw a few fans lurking in the area, holding onto their placards.

Thankfully, a Caucasian man walked out and walked alongside him. Fans did not bother batting an eye in his direction. The man was (much) taller than he was and hid Xiumin pretty well. The two parted ways and Xiumin tried to walk his way to the park close to the hotel. Walking and travelling by their van was definitely different. The night was not making it easier for him.

After 15 minutes of walking and remembering street signs and buildings, Xiumin finally found the park. It was closed, but he was not intending on entering it anyway. His eyes made out the familiar black car (coincidence? He thought not.) hiding under leaves from a tree in the park. Flashing a smile, he jogged over to the side of the car and gently knocked the window. He heard the car door unlock and climbed on.

She sat on the driver's seat, staring straight ahead. Silence enveloped the car, but neither minded. The absence of sound was beautiful in its own way. However, Xiumin did not intend to spend their final moments in silence.

"Haerin-sshi," He started. Haerin turned to look at him, only one eye visible since her long fringe covered almost half her face.

"I was wondering... If it was okay for us to leave-" Xiumin paused, finding the right word. "-things the way they are." Their eyes found each other's in the dim light. Both had bliss in them, love if they dare say. But both had the same tinge of sadness in them as well.

"Xiumin- No, Minseok-sshi, you and I both know that from the day we met, our lives..." There wasn't a need for her to continue. Their situation was completely understandable.

Xiumin leaned back against the soft passenger seat. Of course, he knew it all too well. They were impossible. Them as a couple will be a challenge in every aspect.

"What cruelty." A sadistic chuckle followed the cold words. Haerin was taken aback, but his words sank in and became clear to her. Yes, their fate was cruel to them.

"Perhaps our encounter was fate, but developing feelings that were not supposed to... Was by choice?" It came out like a question, even though it was not intended to. She was unsure too, nothing seemed clear to her anymore.

"I like to think that we met by coincidence, but loved by fate." Xiumin took out his phone and earpieces. After plugging the earpieces into the headset jack, he passed it to Haerin. She took it and plugged it into her ears. Before long, she heard a soft mellow piano melody.

Xiumin was playing his song on his phone. He recorded it in the company's basement almost a year ago. There was a piano there, so he took the chance to try out and complete the song.

A single drop of tear fell from Haerin's beautiful orbs. The lyrics depicted her emotions accurately. The confusion, the sorrow, the pain, their story. A smile crept onto her face. No words were needed. The silence between them was comforting, calming even.

"I hate to break this silence, but I can't help but think... How was it possible for us to like each other this quickly?" Xiumin prayed that his words were not offensive. He did not really have the habit of elaborating his points or opinions.

Thankfully, she got the message. A lump formed on unknowingly. Haerin cleared . Only the truth can be said now.

"I'm gonna admit that I did actually search up your pictures..." Xiumin was slightly startled, then blushed. "...and I saw your childhood pictures."

Xiumin froze. No, no, no. Not his childhood pictures, not that little plump boy. He turned his head towards Haerin slowly. She merely shrugged and said, "You were quite cute, don't worry." Her tone was not one he expected and uneasiness wrapped round his heart.

"Seems like you don't remember anything anymore." She sighed, confusing Xiumin even more. "You helped me when you were younger."

Xiumin's mind went blank. They met before? In his childhood? How could he not recall?

"You know that as long as you are foreigner, half or full, you suffer discrimination in Korea. It's a lot better now, but I did face some sort of discrimination in the past. There was once I was walking around the neighbourhood - your neighbourhood - and a few girls from my school started their verbal abuse."

"As a young girl, I was unable to defend myself. Soon they started throwing snowballs and a few pebbles at me, and that was when you came into the picture." Haerin stole a glance at Xiumin, and sighed when he did not show any visible reactions.

"So," Xiumin finally spoke. Vague images appeared in his head as he tried to recall the moment. "I helped you before... then did you know right from the start when I debuted who I was?"

Haerin fumbled with words in her head; something rare for a radio DJ. "Yes, and no." She replied. "I knew who you were, as in I knew you were Xiumin. I only found you familiar looking, but I did not really care." There was a pause before she continued, "I never asked for your name in the past, so I didn't know you were that little boy that helped me. It was only when I followed my instinct to search up your pictures then I was able to piece everything together."

Xiumin was speechless. It took Haerin's long explanation for him to  recall himself helping her.

 

He was walking home from school that day when he saw a few school girls throwing snowballs at a poor girl almost half their size. The girl looked like she was about to cry when the bullies threw a pebble at her. As someone who is against bullying, Xiumin ran up to pull the girl aside. The taller school girls scoffed and their heels.

"What the... Are you okay?" Young Xiumin, or Minseok back then, asked the poor girl.

"Y-yes." Young Haerin replied. Her hair was covered in snow and her right shoulder hurt from the pebbles.

"Why would they do that to you?" Minseok gently brushed the snow off her hair and smiled. "They must be jealous of you."

Haerin was puzzled by his words. What did she have that was even worth of people's jealousy? Minseok chuckled and said, "Your hair is very soft."

Haerin smiled at his compliment. True, her hair was smooth and silky; a gene she inherited from her mother. She knew that the little plump boy infront of her was just trying to cheer her up, but she appreciated his words nonetheless.

"Th-thank you for h-helping me." Haerin stammered. The cold air made it difficult for her to talk. She forced a smile instead, hoping that her saviour would understand.

Minseok nodded with a chuckle. He was never the type to talk, but he knew that when his words would help another, he would force himself out of his comfort zone.

"Where do you live? I'll send you back." He extended his small arms and she took it. Together, hand in hand, they walked down the narrow alleyway towards Haerin's house.

Haerin stopped when they were near her house. Minseok looked at her in bewilderment. "Is there something wrong?" He asked. Haerin remained silent. She was never much of a talker to begin with.

Minseok swallowed his discomfort and asked again, "Is there anything wrong? Did we walk to the wrong place?" Haerin merely shook her head.

"I..." She started. "Thank you. My house i-is up front. Thank you s-so much." Haerin refused to look at him.

"Ah... It's nothing! Helping others is important isn't it?" Minseok laughed and continued walking her to her apartment building.

 

"It-It's because you're the f-first person t-to ever h-help me..." Haerin confessed. Minseok was surprised by her words; how was it possible that no one has ever helped such a cute girl when she was bullied?

Minseok knew that their meeting was only coincidental. He had only decided to take the long way home and ended up meeting Haerin. He could not possibly jump out to help her every time, since they are from different schools and he may not take the same route every day.

"Just remember, I may not be there to defend you next time. Always speak up for yourself. You have a pleasant voice anyways." Minseok smiled, and his chubby cheeks were tinted rosy red. Haerin smiled shyly and reluctantly bid goodbye to Minseok.

It was only when she reached home; she regretted not asking for the boy's name. His words and voice resonated in her head, and she started to become more comfortable and confident in speaking as the years go by.

 

"Wow..." Xiumin was mentally drained from everything thrown at him in a short timespan.

"Yeah, wow. Who would expect us to meet again? It's as if our lives are scripted." Haerin scoffed. In reality, everything was a mere coincidence. To them, it was fate. Which was true, neither had the answer.

The only thing they know now, is separation.

The time shown on the digital clock in Haerin's car is 01:58, before long he would have to leave and they would have to be separated again. Reality is harsh; it was a fact that they both accepted. A love that will face too much stuggle, a love that neither can confirm just yet.

"This... I have never given you any presents before, right?" Xiumin asked suddenly, voice mixed with desperation and sadness. Haerin nodded, facing him.

"Then... I'm sorry." Without giving her any time to react, Xiumin leaned forward, pushed her chin up gently with his fingers and pressed his lips against hers. Haerin's eyes opened wide in shock, but closed it soon after and returned the kiss. It was her first kiss, and she was grateful that it was Xiumin - Minseok - who stole it.

Xiumin deepened the kiss, feeling desperation crawling up his body. It was a feeling he had never felt before, perhaps due to the build-up of emotions and stress, he didn't know. All he knew at that time was to treasure the moment. Her soft lips moved in sync with his. The feeling wasn't sweet like how a first kiss should feel like. Instead, it was urgent and bitter. Haerin was the one who pulled away from the kiss.

Their eyes showed tears, and they stared into each other's eyes for as long as time allows them. They had their fair share of a fantasy they can never reach, of a dream that will remain a dream. Reality, that was what they had to return to. Haerin blinked and two streams of tears rolled down her face. Why does it hurt so much? Was it meant to end like this?

She turned the key and drove Xiumin back to the hotel. It was a suffocating silent drive.

They stopped behind the hotel building. Xiumin stared at the time that was mercilessly ticking away.

02:19

He had less than 3 hours before his manager woke up. He turned to Haerin, staring at her longingly. Damn, what did I do in my past life to deserve this?

"Separated by reality again." A sigh could be heard from him. A sigh that was unable to chase away the heaviness on his chest.

"Perhaps, we'll meet again. In our dreams, in our memories. Maybe, even in our next lives."

A smile.

Perhaps, that wasn't their last smile afterall. Their coincidences have ended with their final encounter, but their story hasn't reached its last chapter.

 

Coincidences and fate can often be confused with one another. It could be fate that two people end up being together, with their shared experiences and common interests, or it could be just pure coincidences. Whatever it is, as long as things are meant to be, nothing can stop it from happening. All it takes is just some time.

 


That's it my fellas.

Their ending is up for you to decide. If you want them to meet when they are older, so be it. If you want them to meet in their next lives, be it too. In short, the ending is open for imagination ^^ Yes I'm evil that way. /evil laughter

I know I was supposed to update on Monday but since I have a post-prelim celebration with my mum and Teacher's Day cards to make (hmph), I figure that this is the best. Plus, it's study break ^^

I thought that you might ask why was it difficult for them to be together in every aspect. Even though inter-racial relationships are starting to be more accepted in Korea, it is still kind of looked down upon. As for Haerin's case, even though she's half-Korean, she cannot hold a Korean citizenship. Cruel but I kind of understand because of all the wars and political matters that S.Korea had to deal with in the past. So same for Xiumin and Haerin, if they were really to date and talk on marriage terms, it will be difficult, though not impossible. Another thing is that both of them are artistes, and even though Xiumin isn't exactly the member with the craziest and most obsessive fans, I cannot be sure what will happen. And SM being SM... I think it'll be difficult for them to even meet :/ I tried to think as logically as I can writing this, considering every factor that will affect their relationship. Okay that was long.

And about Xiumin's chubby past... I remember coming across a photo of him but I can't seem to find it anymore. I swear he was pretty chubby but now he's as skinny as a stick. Damn he needs his chubbiness back T^T

Okay, this is really THE END. I hope I will be able to come up with a happy ending fic next time, but I would probably have to push that till after my absolutely terrifying O-levels. When I can finally feel BLISS.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I am going to update my Daydream~ one-shot/drabble collection from now on so please support that! Ah sarangahaeyo!