Three

Coincidental Fate

"You knew who I was?" Xiumin asked, shocked.

Haerin eyed him weirdly and nodded. Xiumin shook his head and said, "But back in Taiwan you don't seem to know me and Jong- and Chen." They stopped in front of his apartment building.

"I didn't want to scare you guys, that's why." Haerin replied, pulling her hand away from Xiumin. "I work at a radio station in Taiwan. How am I supposed to not know EXO?"

Xiumin's mouth formed an 'o', and it was shortly replaced by a grateful smile. He didn't know how to express his gratitude, until he saw a cut on her arm. 'She must have got it when we were running past the wooden crates and planks', he thought.

"Your arm... why don't we go up to my house and I'll bandage it? Can't-"

"No thanks. It'll be too much of a trouble." Haerin rejected as quickly as she could.

"No, I have to return the favour. It doesn't feel good to owe someone something." Xiumin looked at her with his most adorable eyes. He's grown a lot manlier than when he debuted but his face is almost just as adorable child-like.

Haerin sighed. It wouldn't be good if she leaves it open. Blood is slowly dripping down and any delay would definitely cause an infection. She nodded and Xiumin ran up to his house. Haerin stood outside the apartment building while Xiumin went looking for a first-aid box. He came out a few minutes later with the first aid box, a towel and a bottle of water. It was surprising how he could still walk normally after drinking 2 bottles of soju.

"We've gotta clean that up and since you're stubborn..." Xiumin lifted up the towel and bottle. "...we're settling with this." Xiumin poured water over her injury, causing her to wince a little. He carefully dabbed the towel on the cut.

"Aren't you afraid someone will take a photo of us?" Haerin asked, scanning their surroundings.

"It's almost 2am. Plus, I was never in the eyes of any reporters, except that incident in Taiwan." Xiumin sighed. It has been 3 years since EXO's debut, and though he has gained a lot more fans than he used to, his popularity can never be compared to members like Kris, Luhan and even Kai and Baekhyun from his counterpart group.

Haerin bit her lips, unsure of what to say. She has noticed EXO a lot lately since their newest release, and truthfully, Xiumin has always caught her eye, along with his Korean partner. Xiumin looked up at her, noticing her facial expression.

"Do you... want to say something?" He asked, eyes focused on her arm. She blew air out of her nose before saying, "Actually, you are just as popular as everyone else." Xiumin stopped bandaging and looked at Haerin. Her round brown eyes stared back.

"It's... true. I find that you are just as talented. It's... probably because singing in a different language than the one you're used to can be difficult." She fired like a machine gun, hiding her face with her long midnight black hair.

Xiumin let out a smile and whispered a 'thank you' in Mandarin. He has always thought of himself as the weaker member of the group. (Not physically of course. He remembered carrying Kris to the dorm when the leader was dead drunk, and he’s not the lightest person out there due to his height) Compared to the rest, he was just simply not enough. True he could hit a few notes, but lines were usually given to others. Not that he ever complained though. Many members often nagged at him for being too selfless, but that was his nature.

"You're too kind, but thanks." He said softly in Mandarin as he bandaged her arm.

"I'm not saying that out of kindness. I remember your dance solo on a variety show not too long ago. I was really impressed, honest." She replied in Mandarin slowly. Haerin's shoulder relaxed a little. She should be tensed and worried and feeling frantic because it is Xiumin of EXO in front of her, but somehow she feels as if Xiumin's her friend. She continued in Korean, so that he could understand better, "Really, you can't sing like Chen-sshi, but you convey your emotions better than him. And you're definitely a great dancer. I dare say your movements are sharper than... er... ah Lay-sshi."

"Yah, if Yixing- I mean Lay hears that you're doomed!" Xiumin chuckled. "He is our main dancer after all. He works really hard; sometimes I wish people see that side of him. In front of the mirror, he practices much harder than any of us." Xiumin sighed and stood up. He sat beside Haerin on the stone bench.

Then how about you? I'm sure you worked hard too. Haerin wanted to say, but she had no courage to.

Haerin sniffed and cleared before asking, "Xiumin-sshi... Did you drink?" Xiumin looked at her and bashfully smiled. He rubbed the nape of his neck before nodding.

"I didn't drink a lot though. There were many people around, I didn't want any pictures or fanaccounts circulating. I'll get killed by my manager!" Xiumin leaned back against the bench and closed his eyes. He laughed internally as he thought, 'The last time I met you I was tired and injured. This time I'm tired and you're injured, funny huh? I hope our next meeting won't have you end up...'

"Haerin-sshi," Xiumin spoke suddenly. "why are you out at this hour?"

"I couldn't sleep. I haven't been in Korea for so long, maybe because the air is different, I don't know." She explained.

"How long have you been in Taiwan? Oh yeah maybe ‘cos my mind was not in the right state just now, er should I send you to the clinic?" Xiumin asked as he got up. He steadied himself and offered his hand to Haerin, who hesitantly accepted it. Slowly they walked to a nearby clinic.

"I'm not sure if it's okay to talk to you like this." Haerin looked down on the rough pavement as she walked alongside Xiumin. He took off his hat and threw it on Haerin's head.

"It's okay. Treat me as a friend, Haerin-sshi."

"Alright, Xiumin-sshi. Hmm. I was born in Seoul and I lived here until I was 18. I continued my studies in Taiwan and began working as a DJ. Next Saturday marks my first year anniversary." She explained. Xiumin secretly enjoyed her voice. It was pleasant and calming. Her sentences were well organised and had a smooth flow. 'No wonder she's a radio DJ.' Xiumin thought.

"How old are you Haerin-sshi?" Xiumin asked suddenly. 'What in the world is wrong with you Kim Minseok?!' He mentally chided himself. If he could slap himself he would.

"I'm a 92-liner." She replied. She didn't seem to notice Xiumin's pink cheeks, fortunately.

"Oh, then you're 2 years younger than me!" Xiumin's eyes brightened a bit, for what reason he doesn't know. Within seconds they arrived at the 24-hour clinic. She took off his hat and put it on his head. Smiling they both went in.

The doctor treated her wound and instructed her on what to do. Xiumin quickly helped Haerin settle her bills, leaving her speechless with her wallet in hand.

"I ought to help you. You know, it was because of your quick wits that saved my life and let the news die down fast." Xiumin flashed a smile and helped her down the steps. "You mean..."

"Yep. You told manager-hyung to tell the reporters that Chen and I climbed onto a stylist noona's car, who happened to be a Taiwanese." Xiumin explained as he walked Haerin home, which coincidentally happened to be nearby. "Reporters thought that since it was a stylist noona, nothing could go wrong. They know some stylist noonas who drove their own cars with our makeup and costumes."

Haerin nodded as she allowed Xiumin's words to sink in. When they reached the playground near her apartment, Haerin waved goodbye to Xiumin.

"Go now. Thanks for today, Xiumin-sshi."

"No problems. And I think it'll be nice for you to call me Minseok-sshi, since you know, we're friends." He extended his arm for a handshake.

Haerin laughed. It was the first time he heard her laugh. It was sweet to his ears. Maybe it was because of the alcohol but it felt like he was in some sort of fairytale-like place. "You're a pro with girls aren't you, the oldest of EXO." Her words brought him back to reality.

"No no no, the real pro is someone else haha!" Xiumin laughed too. They shook hands and Haerin turned around towards her apartment building.

"Once again... thank you, Minseok op-oppa." With that, Haerin brisk walked away towards home.

Back in his little room Xiumin let out a wide smile. He changed out of his clothes and lay on his bed. He allowed the alcohol to take over as he replayed her words in his head.

'Let me live in this feeling... even for one night, just let me drown in this moment of bliss.'

Deep in the back of his mind however, Xiumin knew that this love would be impossible to pursue.


Apologies for not updating ^^;;

One, I was too lazy to proof read. Two, it's O-level year, I wish to focus on my studies. Three, I was spending my rest time/study breaks to read this awesome fanfic called Der Märchenclub (hope to improve my writing style after reading this) but now that I'm done I'll be re-focusing my efforts in Coincidental Fate. ^^

I hope to update another chapter by Sunday, if not it'll be next Friday!

Thanks for reading~