IV.

My Beautiful Star

 

Jaejin threw himself on the sofa sighing. He rested his head on the back of the chair, starring at the ceiling. He was exhausted from another ed up performance. He needs to sleep but his mind won’t let him be.

                From the kitchen counter, Minhwan and Jonghun.

                Minhwan followed Jaejin’s gaze. “Is there something on the ceiling we can’t see, hyung?”

                The leader shook his head, helping himself for another glass of juice, “He made a mistake—again—tonight. Now, not only the lyrics but also the chords.”

                “Yeah but it doesn’t matter right? Fans may find it fascinating anyway and still love him.”

                “Right but for his sake, should we tell him to rest for a week maybe? Just to fix his thoughts up. It seems there are a lot of things bothering him these couple of days.”

                The door from Seunghyun’s room suddenly slammed open as the other maknae came out his cheerful voice, “Hyungs! Look! Jaejin-hyung’s mistake earlier is already up in Youtube!” playing in the maknae’s laptop was their performance. The camera focused on the leader, who staring into space and was playing I hope’s chords instead of Severely. The two people sitting by the kitchen counter shook their heads. Seunghyun’s can’t-read-the-mood disease strikes again. “Comments here say—Oh! Most of them find it cute so don’t worry too much hyu—“

                Seunghyun froze. He could feel Jaejin’s cold presence overpowering the air con. The man’s legs were crossed, a hand rubbing his mouth, eyes closed. The crease between his eyebrows shows he wasn’t asleep and that the maknae’s in big trouble.

                Seunghyun gulped and creep behind Jonghun in the kitchen. “Is he going to kill me now?”

                Minhwan laughed, “Seems like it.”

                “What do I do?” the scared boy chewed his lips.

                Jonghun stood up, pushing the maknae gently from his back. “Apologize to him in a cute way then ask him what’s wrong.”

                Building up his courage, Seunghyun approached the stoic Jaejin in small steps. But like a mercy given by heaven, an angel, in the form of the mischievous Hongki, entered the room. “President calls for us,” his voice sounded urgent.

                Everyone exited the room in relief, except for the highlight of the day, Jaejin. Hongki watched—waited for him but he sat there unmoved.

                Jaejin had been like this for a week, just after he had fever. Everyone was concern since it affected not only his appetite but also his performance. But more than that, Hongki worries the most since the younger man seemed to pay no attention to him—at all.

                Finally realizing the room was empty except for him, Jaejin jumped up to his feet but was surprised when he found someone at the door. “H-hyung.”

                Hongki gave the younger man a nod, he couldn’t think of anything to say. But there’s no need of words since Jaejin was out of the room in a split of second.

                 Just like that he had been ignoring me for like a week now, Hongki thought. Maybe he wasn’t asleep that night after all. Maybe he heard it all and now he thinks I’m a psycho! ! I should clear this all up; maybe take back all the words that have been said if it’s the only way we could go back to not being strangers again.