Let Me Tell You A Story

The Will To Protect

 

 

 

LET ME TELL YOU A STORY OF WHEN I MET MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE.

 

Changmin sat quietly on his bed.

His knees against his chest.

It was three days after they told him that he was adopted...

 

* Three Days Earlier*

 

The orphanage had a daily roll call. Together all the kids would gather in a line and participate to have their attendance taken. Each and every one of them had to show their face for inventory. Social workers would come in and out to inspect the children at least once a month. 

This particular day was unique. Despite trying to prevent the rumor of "adoption" from happening, it went flying and spinning out of control from the children's mouths. They were excited to know who was the next luckiest among them to go free. Unfortunately, some weren't always so lucky; they only ended up in a worse place. But, today it felt different.

The children stood in a line, against the wall. The little ones in the front dressed in their best and the tall ones in the back- their faces glum- they knew the chances of them getting picked were slim. 

The moment the doors opened, the kids' eyes sparkled with expectation. A group of well-groomed men in suits walked in. They looked quite scary, but this gave the kids the expectation that perhaps a lot of them would become chosen today. Unfortunately this was not the case. These were merely body guards.

The true future Guardian Parent walked in last.

His eyes were full of charisma. He was well dressed and shining with cleanliness. He wore a black suit and had worn leather shoes. The man had his hair slicked back and slightly spiked. He looked like a true business man.

Madame Kim walked in right after him. She gave the children a smile and spoke.

"Now my children, this man's name is Jung Yunho. He is a very generous donator to our orphanage, please say thank you and give him a bow."

The children politely bowed to the older man. 

Yunho gave them a small smile and bowed in return to Madame Kim's shock. 

"Politeness is a very good trait to have, no matter the social status Ms. Kim." 

Madame Kim blinked, then nodded and returned her gaze at the children. "One...ten...twenty...thirty....ahh...we're missing two..." Madame Kim cleared and walked up to one of the boys. "Luhan, where are those delinquents, Kyuhyun and Changmin?" 

The adorable little boy widened his eyes and shrugged his shoulders, "Umm, Kyuhyun hasn't been back since yesterday. Changmin is...in the cafeteria..."

Then right at that moment Changmin burst through the front doors and ran in panting heavily. "I'm sorry! I'm so so so so very sorry!"

Madame Kim scowled and grabbed him by the ear. She pulled him close. "If I didn't have guests, I would've given you a beating. Now get in line and don't act out!"

Changmin rubbed his ears and hunched over his back protectively. He ran quickly behind the smaller children and gave out a dejected sigh. 

Madame Kim cleared . 

"Everyone. I have an announcement." 

The children lifted their heads in her direction.

"Today we will have one of our own leaving us; he will be going into a special home."

Everyone cheered and clapped. 

 

Kyuhyun stood outside of the entrance to the room, observing what all the cheering was about. 

 

The children whispered conspicuously amongst themselves. Junsu chuckled at the adorable gestures. He already knew Yunho's decision. It made his heart pang in pain, knowing how all of those happy faces will turn into disappointment when they find out it isn't them. 

Madame Kim shushed them into silence. 

"The honorable Jung Yunho has decided to become a father and adopt a son. That young boy will leave us and be taken into a warm home and have a loving parent. But, just because he will obtain this, it doesn't mean that the rest of you won't. Just keep in mind, your time will eventually come. We must give our brothers and sisters the support they need in order to transition to a new home. Now I shall proudly announce....our most treasured pearl.....Changmin-ah...congratulations...you have a new home." 

Sudden silence...

Everyone looked in Changmin's direction.

The tall young man stood paralyzed to the ground. The color on his face was drained. His hands felt clammy and his body dropped in temperature. Changmin looked up to meet the gaze of his older brother Kyuhyun. "Hyung..." He mouthed the words.  Kyuhyun turned around and walked away, his face remained expressionless. 

Changmin felt his spirits die.

He looked at Jung Yunho. The CEO had a blank look upon his face. He was completely cold and did not even crack open a single smile this time. 

Changmin shook his head. He bit his bottom lip. Before anyone could see his tears he ran out of the room. 

Madame Kim shouted out in surprise. "Yah! Where you going! You disrespectful child!"

Junsu ran after him to do damage control. 

 

Changmin sat beneath the bleachers of the basketball court. He pulled his body close and sat under the shadows. 

Junsu approached the young boy. Hearing sniffling sounds, he took out a handkerchief and prepared it just in case. "Changmin-ah..." he called out. 

The tall boy wiped away his tears and furrowed his eyebrows. "Go away!" he shouted in rebellion and pursed his lips. 

The older man merely chuckled and crawled beneath the bleachers. "That is not a very polite way to speak to an elder."

Changmin pulled out his tongue and then buried his face cutely into his knees.

"Ha...cute..." Junsu chuckled. He slowly approached Changmin and crouched down next to him. The tight little ball was shaking and shivering. "I think today we will start your first Lesson. Manners."

Changmin lifted his head and looked up in confusion. "...What are you talking about?"

Junsu gave him a stern stare. "Why did you run off like that? Aren't you happy to become adopted?" 

Changmin gulped. 

The older man rested his palm on Changmin's back and gave him a reassuring smile. "Look. Whatever issues you have, you can tell me. Ask me questions."

"...T-they...will be mad..."

"Who will?"

"The others...my brothers and sisters...they will hate me now."

Junsu closed his eyes and shook his head. "No. Changmin-ah. They won't- this is your chance to start a new life. You are your own person. You shouldn't think about the judgment of others. It is their opinion of you. The most important thing is what you think of yourself. Eventually, everyone goes in their own separate ways. You will understand this better in the future..."

Changmin blinked and stared at Junsu. "Who are you?" 

Junsu smirked. "Your new babysitter." 

Changmin wiped away his tears. He gazed at Junsu's slouching figure beside him. The older man was in a brown business suit and had pointy black leather shoes on. His hair was a dirty blonde color. How uncommon for a native Korean. He was smiling from ear to ear. His eyes formed into half-moon shapes. There was something calming about his presence to the younger boy. "Why didn't you adopt someone much younger?...the young ones need a home. I won't go with you...please...just take them away from here...I can handle myself..." 

Junsu widened his eyes and pouted. He was surprised by such a mature thought from someone as young as Changmin. Although he wasn't surprised. Yunho always made the most incredible decisions, the man was never wrong with his choices. Looking at Changmin, Junsu saw a similar spark in the young man's eyes that he saw in Yunho's. 

Junsu paused for a few seconds, pondering in his own thoughts. "You see...I can't make decisions for Jung Yunho...He is my boss. I am merely someone who helps him carry out his demands. As far as the adoption process goes...it is already completed. I can't do anything about it." Junsu was lying and Changmin knew this. 

"You are a liar."

Junsu grinned. "And? Are you going to run away?"

Changmin furrowed his eyebrows. Then he curled into a tight ball.

"Changmin," Junsu suddenly had a pleasant smile upon his face. His voice became calm and warm. "We aren't going to hurt you." He put his hand on the younger boy's shoulders. "We will take care of the orphanage, even after you leave, since it is that important to you." 

Changmin raised his head. "Really?" 

"Scouts honor. I promise." Junsu raised his hand.

 

 

 

Changmin packed his bags. He didn't have many things with him. His most important object was around his neck. A ring on a cheap silver chain. Its diamond was missing from being tossed back and forth for so many years, but it is the only proof, that at some point in his life, Changmin was not alone. That he did indeed did have a mother and a father. 

On the inside of the golden ring, was an inscription: Forever Yours- Y + E

It was a beautiful piece of jewelry. Changmin brought it up to the light and the lights bounced off it, giving it a nice glow. Changmin stared at the initials and rubbed his finger over the engraving. His parents also touched it once. It was the closest connection he had to them right now...wherever they could be right now...he hoped that they thought of him too. 

Changmin closed the door to his room. This was his final day at the orphanage. He walked through the quiet hallway. It almost felt like a funeral. A walk of shame. No one came out of their rooms to congratulate him. No one gave him a gift or a good bye hug. It was a cold and dark environment. Even if one child happened to catch his eye contact, they would just cast their heads down and run away. 

Jealously, is a terrible trait to have. Envy is even more horrendous. Traits that young children should not have. Something our parents should teach us not to have. 

But there was one child who stood at the doors of the exit. Starry and bright eyed Luhan. He had an innocent smile and a face that glowed a thousand watts. "Hyung!" He shouted. 

Changmin looked up to find the little toddler running quickly towards him. 

"Hyung! I have something for you!" Luhan jumped in front of Changmin. He took out a rock with an imprint. "Look! Doesn't it look like a deer?" 

Changmin smiled sadly. He was going to miss him so much. He remembered when Luhan first came to their orphanage. 

"Hyung...what's wrong?" Luhan looked at Changmin intently. 

"N-nothing," Changmin then smiled. 

Luhan pouted. "Liar liar pants on fire." He took Changmin's hand and placed the rock on his palm. "There! We are now the deer brothers! No matter where you go, you cannot forget me! And always carry this with you, it will bring you lots of luck!" Luhan wagged his finger.

Changmin chuckled out loud and gave Luhan a big hug. He didn't want to let go. 

"Hyuuung...I need to pee..." 

Changmin let him go and the toddler ran off. 

 

 

Kyuhyun stood silently behind Changmin's silent figure. 

Feeling a familiar presence, Changmin turned around to find the blank-face of his hyung. 

"Kyu-"

"Shut up. Don't say anything." 

Changmin gulped. Kyuhyun didn't look happy. His expression was grim. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. 

"I'm just standing here -wondering. How someone as ing stupid as you managed to hit the jackpot." 

Changmin was speechless at the accusatory words.

Kyuhyun's face twisted into a furious expression. "How does a rich billionaire just waltz into an orphanage and adopt a teenager, who is just years away from becoming an adult? What is his motivation Changmin-ah?"

"..."

"I'll tell you. The man is in his thirties. No wife and no kids. I have no doubt in my mind that he visits strip joints on occasion or picks up some es. I guess he got bored with them- and decided to adopt a personal slave. Huh, Changmin-ah? You're now a -toy? How about that?"  

Changmin was now visibly upset. He was shaking and his face turned red. 

"What? Did I upset you? Don't worry, you'll be wiping your tears away with $100 bill American dollars and wiping the from your royal with Euros that your new rich sugar-daddy will provide you with."

"W-why are y-you saying these things t-to m-me," Changmin managed to stutter. His voice was barely there. He was whispering.  

Kyuhyun stepped forward and whispered threateningly, "I bet you're nice in bed. Show me once in awhile. I wanna know if you're worth the money."

Changmin was now crying uncontrollably, he was shaking his head trying to drown away Kyuhyun's harsh words. "WHY are you saying these things. I did nothing wrong!" 

Kyuhyun popped out a cigarette and lit it. "You can't even handle the that comes out of my mouth. Pathetic. When you step out of that door, the world will be a completely different place from what you see inside this orphanage. You are like a large and white fluffy cotton ball. They will tear you apart into small pieces and blacken you before you realize it's happening to you." He his heel and walked away. 

 

 

 

Changmin stood on the porch and waited for the car to take him to his new home. 

A black limousine circled around the orphanage and stopped in front of the entrance. Junsu stepped out with a big welcoming smile. He took his sunglasses and approached Changmin. He noticed the younger man's eyes were swollen; he had a pale face and a grim expression. 

Junsu sighed. Adjusting will be an issue for Changmin. "Changmin-ah! Come on!" He shouted and gave the boy a big hug. 

Changmin was surprised by the sudden gesture and stood stiff as a log. 

"Relax!" Junsu said and led the boy to the back seat. 

When Changmin entered the interior of the limousine he was awed by everything. It was his first time in such a large car. "ooo-waaah." He opened his mouth wide. 

Junsu chuckled at the cute gesture. "Wait til we get to the Mansion." 

 

They arrived at the Mansion. It was an interesting experience...

Changmin stepped out of the car, completely bright eyed. He was infatuated with everything. The Mansion was huge. Tall pillars and a large fountain of water as a centerpiece. It was a typical gothic style architecture. Trees and grasslands surrounded it for miles. It was a beautiful oasis all around. It came equipped with multiple servants. Each of them promising to serve Changmin as he wished. They were all humble and appeared to be especially loyal to Yunho.

Junsu took Changmin by the arm and guided him through the interior.

"Do people really live here?" Changmin asked.

"Of course. Although, Yunho hyung travels a lot so sometimes we do work out of the house."

Junsu took him to his room. "This is your bedroom." 

It was a nicely decorated room. A king-sized bed in the middle, compared to the four bunk beds at his orphanage, packed in like boxes. The room was at least triple the size he was used to. The walls were painted a light blue color. He had a table with multiple books and writing utensils. A laptop was placed in the middle of the table with a purple bow on top. 

When Changmin walked towards the closet, he was surprised to find that it opened to another room...except that room was just a continuation of the closet. 

Junsu watched the awestruck boy run around his new room like an excited puppy. Everything fascinated this boy. Even the bidet....he thought it was a fountain...thankfully Junsu stopped him before he did something dumb....

"Hyung...." Changmin walked towards Junsu, his head cast down cutely. He was tugging on his raggedy old sweat-shirt. "Where is....Yu- Mr. Jung..."

Junsu  patted him on the head, "You don't have to call him Mr. Jung, paaabo. Mr. Jung was his father. For now, just call him hyung, if "dad" is too uncomfortable." 

Changmin nodded swiftly. "W-when can I see him..."

"He's busy...at work," Junsu sighed. "I know it's weird, but he's a workaholic. I was hoping he would take some time off for you...but it will take some time for the both of you to adjust your schedules." 

"I see..."

 Junsu quickly changed the subject. "Changmin, I have a brand new set of clothes for you to try on. I hope they fit. Go ahead and try them on." He pointed towards the closet. 

 

 

Later that evening Yunho came home at around three A.M. 

Junsu found him working again in his bedroom. "Hyung..." 

Yunho lifted his head from his work papers.  "Yes? Any problems Junsu?"

"It's Changmin..."

Yunho quickly got up, "Is everything ok? Is he alright?" 

"Everything is fine. Calm down."

"Then why are you here?"

"It's just... he was asking about you today."

"Oh..."

"Don't say "oh." You should've been there with me when I went to pick him up."

Yunho cast his gaze back towards his desk, " I was busy..."

Junsu frowned. "Hyung...this was your decision to make...I didn't question you once...but now- I need to ask you exactly why you chose to adopt."

"I...need an heir." 

"That's nonsense. What about Hoya?"

"He isn't viable." 

Junsu tapped his foot. "What is really going on? Yesterday you asked me to go to the hospital and hire someone to do a DNA test. What is this all about? Stop keeping secrets from me Yunho."

Yunho stepped back and sighed. "I can't tell you." 

"Why?"

"Walls have ears."

"Yunho...you just turned thirty...that is a highly immature answer. Care to explain?" 

"..."

"I have known you for years. In fact- since diapers. Don't underestimate me. I find it insulting-"

"Lock the doors," Yunho instructed.

Junsu quickly did as he was told.

"I won't tell you everything..." Yunho's face held no emotions. "But, since you claim to know me so well. I trust you will understand what I am about to say." He said sternly.

 

 

After a brief forty-eight minutes, Junsu left Yunho's office with a gaunt expression and sworn to secrecy upon his father's grave.

 

 

The next day, Junsu made sure to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for Changmin's first official stay at the Mansion. He told the cook to prepare the dining hall. Everything was set upon the table from Apples to Wine. A hearty breakfast was served on the table. Eggs, bacons and savory mashed potatoes. Changmin's eyes glowed at the full table. But, despite his hunger his mind suddenly floated to the starving children at the orphanage. Guilt-struck, he couldn't bring himself to eat any of the food. 

Junsu looked at Changmin's ghostly-face. "Eat something, Min." He started piling a plate and put it in front of Changmin. "No one else will take care of your body but yourself." Changmin grabbed a spoon and couldn't resist digging in.

Junsu looked across the table at the empty seat. His mind floated towards the whereabouts of Yunho. He got up and went to search for him.

"Yah!" He barged into the room and dragged away Yunho from his computer.

"What!?" Yunho shouted. 

"Breakfast is served!" Junsu proceeded to drag him out into the hall in his pajamas.

Changmin sat gingerly stuffing his face. 

Yunho walked in with his hair completely disheveled, he was in his morning clothing. 

Changmin cast his eyes down. He felt nervous.

Junsu joined them both, somehow mediating the atmosphere.

Yunho was just as stiff as Changmin. Junsu chuckled at their similar personalities. "Yunho, eat the apple pie. It's good."

The older man grabbed a slice of pie and ate the strawberries as well. He grabbed a lime and decided to offer Changmin some. "You like fruits?" He asked.

Changmin scrunched his face, "I don't really like sour foods..." 

Yunho slightly opened his mouth, about to say something, but decided not to. "Suit yourself." 

They ate their meals quietly until Yunho decided to press for more questions.

 

"So...do you have someone you like yet?"

Changmin choked on his bacon. "N-no."

Yunho looked at him with a funny expression while Junsu patted his back.

"When I was your age, I had someone I liked...you should too," Yunho said quietly.

Changmin nodded silently.

 

Junsu sipped some tea and turned towards Yunho, "Where's Hoya?"

"He woke up early. He's at the basketball courts."

Changmin turned questioningly towards Junsu.

"You haven't met him yet, but he is Yunho's little brother. He's about your age, I'm sure you two would get along wonderfully."

The breakfast continued to go on quietly. None of them had anything to say to each other. 

Yunho then decided to look over in Changmin's direction. He noticed something sparkling around his neck. He squinted his eyes towards the object. "Changmin."

The younger boy quickly shot up straight in Yunho's direction, "Y-yes?"

Yunho pointed at his chest, "What is that?" He asked.

Changmin protectively bought his hands towards the ring. "It-it's nothing. Just something I've always had since I was little. When I was in the orphanage they let me keep it. They thought it was just a cheap piece of metal...but to me...it is priceless..."

Yunho looked at Changmin's solemn expression. "I see..."

Junsu cleared his throat, "Do you mind if I take a look at it? I promise to give it back." 

Changmin hesitantly took off his necklace and let Junsu look at it. 

"Wow. It's really beautiful." Junsu said and turned to Yunho. "Forever Yours- Y+ E. How nice. I'm guessing these were your biological parents' initials? Yes?"

Changmin nodded. "Yeah. I believe so...I would like to find them..."

Junsu smiled. "We will help you."

 

Yunho began to speak, "You should concentrate on your studies."

Changmin looked up confused. "What do you mean?"

"No use in digging up the past. You will receive a proper education and work for my company. Enough, chasing fairy tales."

Junsu frowned.

Yunho's eyes blazed with displaced fury. "He shouldn't get his hopes up. Your parents abandoned you. Why are you so intent on finding them-"

"Yunho, enough." Junsu spoke. Changmin stared at his plate with a dazed expression.

 

 

Rawr! Hey guys.....So....I updated....yay?.....I hope it is to everyone's liking so far....This was originally going to be a part of Chapter 1....but I will continue to write...