Friendly

Discovery

I felt like my whole being left my body to crash down on it's knees and stare open-mouthed at where this student had been not moments before.

 

What had I just witnessed?

 

“It's okay, don't worry.” This voice came from the student with the dimple. He was in front of me now, eyes searching mine, looking for a sign that I understood. But how could I? I just saw someone commit suicide, didn't I? “It's okay. He's okay.

 

My voice wasn't working. I couldn't respond.

 

Breathe. Come see, if you don't believe me. He is fine.” I took the hand he offered me and stood, stumbling.

 

Breathing was a chore as I crept closer to the fence.

 

There won't be a dead body on the ground, I told myself.

There will not be a dead body on that ground.

 

I grabbed the fence in front of me. My breathing hitched and my eyes squeezed shut, refusing to look.

 

“It's okay.” There was a hand on my back, rubbing it soothingly.

 

I opened my eyes, and there he was. It was like he was floating in the air, completely unharmed, though his brows were furrowed with worry. I think all the oxygen in my lungs left me as I sighed in relief, collapsing forward against the fence.

 

“Yixing, who is this? Is he okay?” he asked the dimpled student, slowly raising himself over the fence.

 

So he was one of us too. I should have guessed.

 

Once I could get my breathing in order, I turned and faced them both. “You made those flowers grow? The daisies..? And you- you float or fly?” I asked.

 

They exchanged worried looks. Spotting a small bumblebee buzzing about by the door, I directed their attention to it. Even though my brain kept telling me that I'd get stung if this didn't work, I ignored it and whipped out my hand to touch it, hoping against hope that I could get this right.

 

“I... can control time.” I said with relief as the little bug froze in place.

 

“So there are three of us in this school.” said the boy who could fly, smiling in wonderment and running his fingers through his hair.

 

“There's more.” I corrected him. “Three others, plus a few in other schools.”

 

“How do you know all this? How did you manage to find them?”

 

“They found me.” I answered truthfully. The first bell rang, signaling that all students should head to their next classes. “Meet us in the gym at lunch tomorrow. You can meet the others and we can eat together.”

 

“Food isn't allowed in the gym.” he called, as I was halfway out the door already.

 

I chuckled as I climbed down the stairs; that's what I said too.

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan was in my next class: biology. Why didn't I notice him before? We sat together today and when we were prompted to find a partner to work on the next lab demonstration with, we automatically selected each other. I told him about the two students I met on the roof.

 

“If I hadn't noticed Chanyeol's mistake or decided not to follow you guys, I would've thought I was completely alone in this.” he mused some time after, adjusting the oxygen meter attached to a small plastic box full of leaves and crickets. “Now there's so many people like us just popping up out of nowhere.”

 

It was strange to think about. What if Chanyeol and Sehun hadn't have been in that park on that exact day at that exact moment? “I wonder how many of us are out there. How many more think they are alone?” I scrawled a note of the readings into my notebook.

 

“If there are this many of us in one school, then maybe there are a lot- hundreds or thousands even. And girls. There has to be girls like this too.” His eyes were wide when he said it. It was an exciting prospect, but there was a flaw in that thought.

 

“How could we not know?" I asked, setting down my pencil. "If there were so many of us, how could there not be any public knowledge of it?”

 

Neither of us knew.

 

 

***

 

 

Before I left for school that day, I seriously considered leaving without the eyeliner, just to see if it would make a difference in how intimidating I looked, but after seeing the dark circles several times bigger than usual that day from not getting enough sleep the night before and overcompensating for sleep as soon as I had gotten home, I decided to keep up with the makeup. If anything could distract away from the panda eyes, it was intimidation.

 

This time I packed a lunch so I could get to the gym earlier, not wanting to miss these two new additions to our group, remembering to pack extra in case Luhan didn't have one again.

 

I was surprised to see that Chanyeol wasn't on the bus this time. I suspected that he only got on the same bus that day to talk about our common "issue".

 

Everything went smoothly from there on. No time-stops, no fast-forwards. Class went smoothly too. I was glad. It still freaked me out every time I used my power. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there was a fear that I would stop time and not be able to restart it or that I would fast-forward through something important. This power terrified me. I would do anything to switch with one of the others.

 

When math class ended, both Chanyeol and Luhan were waiting for me outside the door. Walking with them, I was just able to explain what happened yesterday when we reached our destination.

 

“So we can expect two more people in our little club? Cool! By the way, can you show me how you got the lunch lady to give you extras?” Chanyeol asked, beaming charmingly.

 

“I brought a lunch today. Maybe next time.” I replied. “Luhan, you coming?” He nodded and we both waved goodbye before going outside.

 

“I don't have a lunch again-”

 

“It's alright. I got you covered.” I lifted my lunchbox to show what I meant.

 

He ruffled his pink hair, looking embarrassed. “I don't want you to have to keep sharing your lunch with me. I'm used to eating little.”

 

Used to eating little? Would it be rude to ask why? That would be considered prying, I decided, though the question seared itself into my head.

 

I shook my head at him. “I want to. I like this experience of sharing with friends.”

 

“Friends.” he repeated back, as if tasting the word.

 

I smiled and looked up to see the two boys from the roof, standing awkwardly by the gym entrance with their lunchboxes. I mentally kicked myself for not thinking to ask for the name of the boy who could fly. The other was called Yixing, I remembered that at least, but I couldn't introduce them if I only knew one name. I settled with waving them inside silently.

 

The student who flew yesterday, he was tall. Like, really tall. He surpassed even my height. I admired his lankiness, as it was just so rare to find someone taller than myself.

 

“Who are they?” asked Sehun, glaring at the intruders from his usual shadowy spot.

 

“I'm Kris, and this is Yixing.”

 

Kris. That was a cool name.

 

“Kris, Yixing, this is Sehun, and this is Luhan, who walked in with us just now. Chanyeol is still getting his lunch.” Luhan bowed politely, but Sehun eyed them with suspicion.

 

“What is this? Are they not normal as Luhan put it yesterday?”

 

“I fly.” said Kris. Well, that was painfully blunt. Wasn't there a more delicate way to say that?

 

Yixing smiled shyly. “I can make some plants grow and heal small injuries, but I can't seem to do a lot.”

 

With introductions out of the way, we sat down and started opening our boxes.

 

“This is my power.” Luhan said, moving a bread roll from my lunchbox into his hands without touching it. “Telekinesis.”

 

“Sehun, what is yours?” asked Kris, trying to be friendly.

 

The boy swallowed his food and blew a gust of air into Kris' face that ended up being powerful enough to knock the tall guy over. As annoying as that would be to the victim, I had a hard time not laughing at the sight of Kris' face as he got up. He blinked at me, obviously not finding it as funny as I had.

 

“You aren't eating this?” Yixing asked Sehun, pointing to an apple he had dropped unceremoniously back into his box.

 

“It's old. The skin is wrinkled, see?” he showed it to the other boy, who scooped it up and covered it with his hands. When he peeled his fingers back, the apple was bright and clear, as if freshly picked.

 

“Want to trade powers?” Sehun asked suddenly. “I haven't had gum in three months. I used to chew it everyday.”

 

Yixing tilted his head at this. “Gum?”

 

The door opened and Chanyeol walked in. “Hey! Are these the new recruits?" Introductions were made again and he sat down with us. "Sehun, is that Jongin?"

 

He had been texting again, ignoring the second round of introductions with a purpose. "Yeah, why?" he asked, not looking up from his phone.

 

"Before he comes over, ask him if he can try to bring Kyungsoo too."

 

Sehun's eyebrows rose up. "I've only ever seen him move himself."

 

"Does this Jongin fly?" asked Kris.

 

"Not exactly." Chanyeol answered. "Sehun, can you ask anyway? I've been experimenting, and I think our powers can be trained. Watch."

 

He pulled up his sleeves and opened his palm, bringing a flame to life. This flame was bigger than yesterday's and kept growing as we watched until the edges flared up into a roaring entity that encompassed his entire hand and s up much of his arm.

 

I almost didn't notice the color of his eyes burning a deep golden-orange, but when I did, I got scared.

 

Our powers could be trained.

Trained to what? How far could we grow?