Prologue

Discovery

 Today, I stopped time.

 

It's crazy, but I made the world stand still with just a thought- a wish. I don't mean it felt like time stopped. Everything and everyone stopped in their tracks, frozen in place.

 

I was at the park when it happened. All sounds and uttered phrases were halted mid-breath. I looked up at the summer sky and found a butterfly poised perfectly in the air, like a statue carved of the lightest, most fragile substance. I reached up and lightly touched the edge of it's wing, startled as it fluttered and the creature flew away, unharmed. Everything was like this; even the cars out in the distance that gleamed in the sunlight were unmoving.

 

How did I do it? I didn't even know this myself.

 

My day started normal enough. Wake up, shower, breakfast, school. Nothing out of the ordinary. I've never done this before, and there was certainly no signs growing up that I could do this. What changed?

 

It lasted but a few minutes, as I saw the little second hand on my watch keep ticking on my wrist. During that time, I walked around the park, searching for any clue that could lead me to what happened. There were a few students from my school lounging about the park that day as well, enjoying the sun while it lasted. I passed by one with prominent ears that I remembered having gym with last year, and I thought I might have seen him blink, but as I went over to investigate, the world shifted into motion again with a sudden rush of sound. The student continued talking to his friend next to him, as if nothing had happened.

 

I still couldn't quite believe it. The whole scene was so vivid in my head, but this is something from movies and dreams! I went home that night, head swimming with unanswered questions after trying for hours at the library to find anything that could help. This wasn't supposed to happen. The world wasn't supposed to work like this. I was too afraid to talk to anyone, not that I had anyone to talk to anyways. I was alone in my peril.

 

Now, as I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling, sleep a fleeting afterthought, I couldn't help but wonder why me? Why did this happen to me? What makes me so special? Or was I even special? Was there a secret to this world that I just didn't know yet? Was it a prank that's been pulled on me my whole life? Oh, by the way, everyone on this planet has superpowers, just thought you should know. Was it like that?

 

No explanation was plausible and none of them even felt possible.

 

What was this discovery I had made today? What did it mean?