An Umma

Being With You

 

“Minho hyung, where do babies come from?”

 

Minho nearly choked on his juice. That was not a question he was expecting so early in the morning. He understood full well that children were curious about everything, but he really had hoped Taemin’s curiosity wouldn’t end up at this question. He really wasn’t sure how to answer to a 4 year old boy. Now was definitely not the time for the “Birds and the Bees” talk. Definitely not.

 

A full month had finally passed since Taemin had become his brother. Not much had happened in that time span other than Taemin starting school, meeting new friends, and learning a few new things. His parents were still surprisingly very much present, but then again, it had only been a month. Minho guessed they planned on staying at least a few months before leaving, or at least until after New Years. It made more sense.

 

“Why the sudden question Minnie?”

 

“Sulli said she’s going to have a baby brother, but where does he come from? Is it like me? Will they take him to her house like they brought me here?” Taemin asked.

 

So that’s what’s going on, Minho thought.

 

“No Taeminnie. You were brought here because umma and appa wanted to have you as their son. Sulli’s baby brother is coming from a different place,” Minho explained.

 

“Where?”

 

“You saw her umma’s tummy right?” Minho asked. Taemin nodded, looked up at him expectantly. “Well, he’s in there.”

 

“S-She ate her baby?!”

 

“No! No! She didn’t eat her baby Minnie,” Minho said, trying to calm down the frantic boy. He really should have planned ahead for this conversation, but he had never expected Taemin to ask him that so soon. A child’s curiosity was clearly not something to underestimate.

 

“So why is he in her tummy?”

 

“Because he needs to get ready in there. U-Uh– okay,” Minho said, putting Taemin on his lap so that the boy was facing him. “When two people love each other very much, they get married and want to stay together forever. A-And after they get married, they uh... They wish for a baby. So God puts a baby in the umma’s tummy and makes her pregnant, so that he can get ready and grow a little bit before a doctor takes him out.”

 

Taemin looked completely and utterly amazed by the explanation. Minho could see a little sparkle in his eyes, and he wondered why Taemin seemed so happy about this. What was the boy thinking?

 

“Does that mean I will get pregnant?” Taemin asked. Minho was definitely confused now. Could Taemin possibly have a crush on someone in his class? That was cute, and Minho really wanted to find out who it was now. Taemin’s misunderstanding of the situation was adorable though.

 

“Why would you think that Minnie?”

 

“Because I love Minho hyung! And I want to stay with him forever! So does that mean I’ll get pregnant?”

 

That definitely wasn’t what Minho was expecting, but he thought it was much cuter than having a little kindergarten crush. Taemin’s adoration of him really made Minho’s heart swell. He could honestly say that he never got tired of Taemin’s strange comments or cute outbursts. He thought it was utterly adorable the way Taemin was confusing the two different types of love.

 

“No Taeminnie, you won’t get pregnant. Boy’s can’t get pregnant. Plus, we can’t get married.”

 

And then Minho panicked, because he didn’t expect Taemin to tear up. It was almost scary how attached Taemin was to him, and Minho didn’t really mind much. He just worried about how Taemin would be in the future. He wouldn’t be able to stay forever. Eventually, he’d have to leave for college, and it worried him how Taemin would manage. That was only three years away. In three years, Taemin would only be in first grade, and he knew for a fact his parents wouldn’t be able to take care of Taemin all the time.

 

“No, don’t cry Minnie. Of course we’ll always be together, but we can’t get married. We are brothers. Brothers can’t get married,” Minho explained.

 

“But why?”

 

“Because we are siblings. There are two times of love Taemin: one that you have for your family and friends, and another that you have for a special someone they will one day marry,” Minho said. Taemin seemed to understand a bit more after that, because he nodded his head.

 

“Hyung? You said that little brothers and sisters come from umma’s tummy, but I had a different umma and appa before, and then I came to live here. Does that mean I’m not your little brother?”

 

The question was like an arrow piercing his heart. This was a question that he dreaded much more than answering where babies came from. He guessed it was better that Taemin knew sooner that he was adopted instead of living his life thinking the people he thought were his blood related family had no real connection to him. Taemin was old enough to realize his umma and appa now are not the same ones he used to live with. He accepted that fact, are at least to some extent. Every so often Minho would have to watch a crying Taemin at night, crying out for his umma and appa to come back to him.

 

Taemin’s nightmares weren’t overly frequent, but they did come quite often, usually two or three times a week. It really worried Minho, because although Taemin seemed fine, the boy still clearly missed his real parents, and wanted them back. He didn’t blame him either. Taemin was too young to fully understand the situation, and though to some it was a release, it only pained him more. He didn’t know how to explain, when the time came, that Taemin’s parents were dead, and would never be coming back.

 

“No Minnie, you are my little brother, that will never change. Even if you had a different umma and appa before, we have the same umma and appa now, and we live together here. It doesn’t matter which umma you came from. You are still my little brother, okay?”

 

Taemin nodded and Minho smiled, ruffling his hair and picking him up.

 

“Alright then, lets get to school.”


It was early November, and soccer practice was starting that day. They needed some early practice before the actual season started in the spring, so the coach decided to start practicing early.

Which meant that Minho was now busier than ever. As of now, his mother was giving Taemin a lunch box every morning for lunch at school, but that wouldn’t be enough if Minho was going to bring Taemin to his practice. Minho had made sure to wake up earlier than usual that morning to prepare a snack for Taemin incase he got hungry during the practice. Not only that, but he had to run to the Infant School before running back with Taemin to the locker room to change and then practice. He’d have to explain to the coach the situation in case he was ever late.

 

So as soon as school ended, barely even closing his bag, Minho ran out of the school, going as fast as his legs could take him–which was thankfully quite fast–to get to Taemin’s school quickly. Luckily, he had explained to Taemin how things were going to work now, so when he saw Taemin wave goodbye to his friends and run to him, Minho was glad Taemin understood his hurry. Because of Taemin’s little legs, he’d never be able to catch up to Minho’s speed, so Minho settled for carrying Taemin the whole way.

 

The best and easiest part was introducing Taemin to the other members of the soccer team. Minho wasn’t close with all of them, but there were a few that he could pick out and say that they really were some of his close friends. Maybe not as close as Onew, Jonghyun, and Key, but they were close.

 

“Yah, Minho! You’re la– who’s the kid? Dear Lord, Choi Minho you didn’t knock up some chick did you?”

 

“You idiot! He’s a kid! You don’t say stuff like that in front of kids!”

 

“Well what do you expect me to think?!”

 

“Guys, be quiet and let him talk, please.”

 

Minho coughed and put Taemin down, holding the boy in front of him so that he wouldn’t try and hide behind his leg. To his surprise, Taemin didn’t try to hide, but instead, he turned around and looked up at him.

 

“What does it mean to knock up a chick?”

 

Minho swore he’d kill his friend.

 

“You shouldn’t say stuff like that Minnie. That hyung is a bad influence, you shouldn’t listen to him okay?” Taemin nodded and Minho smiled and ruffled his hair, ignoring his friend’s protests.

 

“Okay guys, this is my little brother, Taemin. Taemin, this is Eunhyuk, Donghae, Leeteuk, Changmin, and Nichkhun.” Minho pointed to each one as he said their name, and Taemin nodded, making sure to remember them and who was nice. Eunhyuk was the one that said the bad words, Leeteuk was the one that told him he couldn’t say bad stuff, and Donghae was the one that told them to be quiet. Nichkhun still hadn’t said anything, but by his smile, Taemin could tell he was nice.

 

He quickly remembered that he hadn’t said hello and quickly bowed, stuttering out a greeting, before trying to hide behind Minho’s leg. Trying; because Minho still had a hold on his little shoulders and wouldn’t let him move from that spot.

 

“You never told us you had a little brother,” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Because I just met him a month ago,” Minho replied.

 

“Omo! Your mom was pregnant? Or did your dad cheat?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“No, geez, why does everyone assume its one of those two? He’s adopted,” Minho said.

 

“Well he’s cute,” Nichkhun said. He and Changmin kneeled down in front of Taemin so that they would be at eye level, and Taemin got the chance to really get a good look at the older boys. Nichkhun was handsome, yes, but the first thing Taemin noticed was that this boy didn’t really look Korean. Still, he seemed very fit, much like his Minho hyung. Changmin looked more Korean, and also handsome, as well as fit. They both seemed nice enough.

 

“H-Hello,” Taemin said.

 

“Hey there. How’s it living with Minho? He’s being nice to you right?” Changmin asked.

 

Taemin was confused. Why would he even ask that? Minho was nothing but nice. There was no way his hyung could be mean to anyone, right? His hyung was nice to everyone. He nodded vigorously.

 

“M-Minho hyung is the best. He’s super nice, a-and he plays with me, and c-colors me. A-And he pinky promised that he’d never leave me,” Taemin said. Nichkhun chuckled and ruffled Taemin’s hair. He didn’t really like it when people messed with his hair, but at the same time, it felt nice, so he let it go.

 

“That’s good. Minho is a nice guy, he just doesn’t talk much. Does he talk a lot around you?” Again, Taemin nodded, a big smile on his face. Minho talked to him all the time, and told him a lot of stories. It was great, and he was happy to know that Minho talked to him so much when this person had just told him that Minho didn’t talk a lot. It made him feel happy, and special.

 

“H-He reads me stories before bed, and h-he lets me sleep on his bed.”

 

“Aww! Minho turned into an umma? Minho umma! I want a snack,” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Minho umma! Carry me,” Leeteuk said, stretching out his arms.

 

“Minho hyung turned into a girl?” Taemin asked. Everyone stared at him before bursting with laughter, all of them except Minho laughing hysterically and clutching their sides. Minho just put his head in his hands and shook his head. Taemin frowned. Had he said something wrong? Minho told him that ummas were girls, so if Minho was an umma, that meant he was a girl right? So why did Minho look so upset? He didn’t want to upset his hyung.

 

“No Taemin,” Donghae said, being the first to calm down. “Minho isn’t a girl. He is just acting like an umma, taking care of her son.”

 

“Oh,” Taemin said. He walked up to Minho, tears in his eyes because he had upset his hyung, and he didn’t mean to. He felt bad now. He pulled at Minho’s jeans to get his attention and Minho looked down at him. He quickly bent down to wipe away the tears that were threatening to fall and pulled Taemin in for a hug. “I-I’m s-s-sorry hyung. P-Please don’t be m-mad.”

 

“It’s okay Minnie, I’m not mad at you,” Minho said. Taemin shook his head that was buried in Minho chest.

 

“B-But hyung l-looked upset.”

 

“No, hyung was just embarrassed, not upset. It’s okay Minnie.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

The day continued like that. Taemin was introduced to the rest of the team, only because Minho felt it was appropriate. Taemin would be there very often, so might as well get him acquainted with the rest of the players, right? He even met the coach, who seemed to have a soft spot for kids, and even let Taemin stay with him for the rest of the practice. Taemin as usual with every new thing he saw or learned, looked utterly amazed watching his hyung practice, running around the field and doing any other activity that was required. He found it weird when he saw a few girls around the field, giggling and squealing. Did like watching the practice too? Did they think it was cool.

 

He walked over to them, curious as to what they were doing. He tapped one of their legs to get their attention, and when they saw him, they squealed again, probably louder than before. What were they so excited about? It was weird and he wanted to know what it was. Strangely though, the girl he tapped hadn’t squealed while watching the practice, but she did when she saw him.

 

“Aw, you are so adorable! What are you doing here? Where is your umma or appa?” one of the girls asked.

 

“My umma and appa left, but now I have a new umma and appa, and a hyung,” Taemin replied. The girls seemed to understand what he was saying, because her smile changed a bit and she patted his head.

 

“It’s a good thing you have a new umma and appa. But, are they here with you?” she asked.

 

“No, but hyung is here. Hyung is playing over there.”

 

“Oh? And who is your hyung?”

 

“Minho hyung!”

 

Some of the girls behind the one he was talking to squealed again, and Taemin was confused again. Why were they so excited just hearing his hyung’s name? He didn’t understand.

 

“Noona, why are they yelling?”

 

“Ah, that’s because they like your hyung.”

 

“Do you like hyung too?”

 

“Not like they do. I’m just here to make sure they don’t do anything dumb. By the way, my name is Soon-kyu, but you can call me Sunny noona,” Sunny said. Taemin nodded and smiled at her.

 

“M-My name is Taemin,” he replied.

 

“Minnie? Taeminnie where are you?!”

 

Taemin turned to see Minho frantically looking around the field, and then he felt bad. He supposed he should have told Minho or the coach before walking off, but he forgot in his curiousity. He didn’t mean to make his hyung worry.

 

“Hey Minho! Over here,” Sunny called out to him, and Minho quickly ran to them, scooping Taemin up in his arms and checking him, making sure he wasn’t hurt in any way. He heard Sunny chuckle behind them and wondered what was so funny.

 

“Taemin, please don’t run off like that again. I thought someone might have taken you,” Minho said.

 

“I’m sorry hyung,” Taemin said. “I won’t do it again. I just wanted to know why they were screaming. Noona took care of me.”

 

“Oh, Sunny noona, thank you for taking care of Taemin for me,” Minho said, bowing slightly to her and she just waved him off.

 

“It’s fine Minho. He’s cute, it was nice talking to him. Just be more careful next time okay? You’re lucky it was me found him instead of someone else,” she said. Minho nodded and now Taemin was more confused than ever. What would have happened if someone else had found him? What would another person do?

 

“Why is that lucky?”

 

“Because, not everyone is a good person,” Sunny said. “So you have to be careful and not talk to strangers okay?” Taemin nodded and Minho thanked her again before walking away with Taemin in his arms.

 

“I’m sorry I left hyung,” Taemin said again.

 

“It’s okay Taemin, just be more careful next time, okay? If you want to go off, just make sure to tell me, and stay were I can see you, okay?” he asked. Taemin nodded again and Minho ruffled his hair. “So, care to tell me why you ran off?”

 

“A bunch of noonas were screaming, and I wanted to know why. So I went and asked and Sunny noona said it was because they liked you. A lot of girls like you Minho hyung! Why is that?”

 

Minho wasn’t sure if Taemin was just curious as to why girls would be cheering for him, or why a girl would like him in general. He chose to ignore the offensive one and answered the question.

 

“I’m not sure Taemin. Maybe its just because your hyung is very handsome,” Minho said with a smirk.

 

“Are they your friends? Do you like them too? I have friends that are girls, but they don’t scream when they see me. Oh! But those noonas did! Hyung! They screamed when they saw me!”

 

“No, I don’t really know them, nor do I like them that way. And girls your age are too young to like other boys that way right now. Maybe in the future, you’ll have girls that like you too. Those noonas were screaming when they saw you because they think you’re cute.”

 

“I’m cute?”

 

“Very.”

 

“But I don’t want to be cute,” Taemin said. “I want to be like hyung! I want to be manly.”

 

Minho chuckled and set his little brother down on the bleachers, pulling out the snack he had prepared for the boy.

 

“One day, you’ll be manly, but today, you are cute. So, do you want your snack now?”


Yay! 

So, I stayed up most of last night and then this morning writing this, so I hope you all enjoy it!

Do you know how happy I was when I went to update this story and saw that it already had 8 votes?! I'm assuming this is going to be my most popular story, considering "Those Unspoken Words" now has 15 chapters and it took forever to get the amount of votes it has. XD Speaking of that story, it's next on my update list, so be prepared! Things are really getting intense in that one.

Anway, I hope you liked the update. Thank you for reading, and be sure to check out my other chaptered stories: "Onward," "Fated to Be," and "Those Unspoken Words."

Please COMMENT and tell me what you think! 

Bye bye~ Feel free to upvote too~ ;)