Lapse of Judgement

Nobody Said It Was Easy

 

 

“Let go.”

“Not until you apologize.”

“Like hell I will, you ran into me remember?!”

“Well your fist ran into my balls!”

“That’s not all it’ll run into if you -”

 

Seunghyun bursted into the living room just in time before another brawl emitted between the two high schoolers.  

“Both of you enough.” Seunghyun silenced the two. “Dara I’m sure your new guest won’t like it if she saw you fighting with my stupid brother.”

Before Jiyong could counter, a loud shrill was heard, “DARAAAAA!!!”

 

Dara tried to look annoyed but she couldn’t help the smile that formed as Bom bulldozed her down.

 

Bom latched onto Dara and with a little more force, she could’ve taken both of them down, “I missed you so much! Oh you look so old! Did you grow taller? How are your grades? Did that teacher you emailed me about still giving you a hard time? Have you been behaving? Are you giving Seunghyun and Jiyong a hard time? Are-“

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong walked out of the living room leaving the two sisters alone. Not only did they want to give the sisters their space, but Bom sounded like a bomb about to explode and they didn't want to be there with all the never- ending questions.

 

The moment they were in the kitchen Seunghyun turned around, “Why weren’t you home the same time Dara was?”

Jiyong shrugged, “I had basketball practice.”

“It’s almost the end of the school year, and I know your team didn’t make it to playoffs.”

Jiyong walked over to the pantry and started munching on chips while answering his brother, “An extended practice.” He lied without hesitation, “For the kids who wanted to play more.”

“Ji, that is the worst excuse ever.”

The younger brother popped another chip into his mouth, “Okay. Okay. I spent it with Jessica Jung.” And gave a smirk while chewing.

“Is she still with that kid a grade younger than me? Taec?”

“Yup.” As if home wrecking wasn’t a big deal.

 

Seunghyun wanted to reprimand his brother, accosting him to stop this madness. Yes, Jiyong was just a boy and he had the freedom of doing whatever he wanted, but more often than not, he was getting too caught up with the opposite . Hooking up with different girls weekly, sleeping around, and getting into other people’s relationships was going to bite him in the .

 

That was why he hoped that Dara’s presence in the past nine months would help Jiyong figure stuff out. Hoping that living with a girl would change his behavior with females as a whole, and gain a better perspective- give more respect, be more chivalrous, see them as more than just objects. But of course, Dara wasn’t the right candidate for the job. She didn’t react the same as any normal person, regardless of gender for that matter. If Jiyong got in her face, she stood toe- to- toe with him. If Jiyong called her names, then she whipped it right back.

 

When Seunghyun found a pale Dara in the bathroom throwing up, she denied any help. He later found out that she had the stomach flu for four days already and locked herself in her bedroom to deal with it herself. Dara acted independently and didn’t take from anybody. Bom had said that it was a defensive mechanism after their parents died. That Dara only survived by watching her back and no one else other than Bom. This definitely did not help Seunghyun’s cause for Jiyong. In fact, instead of Jiyong caring about her like a brother would a younger sister, or maybe just a friend, he assumed the feelings leaned towards more animosity. And with that, Dara’s presence did the opposite of Seunghyuns expectations for his younger brother and Jiyong had been recklessly acting up with girls more often these days.

 

“One day,” Seunghyun said, “this is going to get out of hand. Girls aren’t just playthings.”

Jiyong stopped munching and stared at his brother with boring eyes, “Yes. Yes they are.”

“Your young and it doesn’t matter now. But when you find a girl you genuinely like, you wouldn’t want them using you.”

“Well it’s good that I don’t genuinely like anybody.” Jiyong tilted his head to the side. “Chillax brother, I’m in high school, I’ve got plenty years to figure that stuff out.”

“But in the meantime, try to hold off on your ual ministrations. Bom’s back and staying with us for three months. I don’t want her catching you do any stuff.”

 

Dara and Bom walked in, interrupting Seunghyun’s warning.

 

“I see you haven’t changed at all Jiyong.” Bom said.

“Of course not. Girls still want me. And I aim to please.”

“That’s disgusting.” Dara murmured.

“Oh off it,” He retaliated. “Girls come running to me. Boys run away from you.”

“And look where that’s got me. HIV free!” She smiled wiggling out of her sisters’ arm and walking over to Jiyong.

“I don’t have aids you asshat… I check monthly.” Saying the last part under his breath.

“And that shows exactly how much of a you are.”

“What can I do?! Huh? Girls throw themselves at me!”

 

As Dara and Jiyong continued their quarrel the two older siblings watched curiously.

 

“It’s never stopped, huh.” Bom muttered.

Seunghyun shook his head, “If anything, it got worst.”

“So my old dream of them getting together is a waste?” Bom looked up at her boyfriend.

Seunghyun thought about that for a second then answered, “Well, I would think so, but there is one thing that I found really interesting that doesn’t take your dream off the table.” He looked back at Bom deviously.

She smirked in return, “And why is that?”

“Watch. Is it okay if we eat out tomorrow?”

Her eyebrows connected in question, “Uh, yah sure.”

 

He nodded and kissed her on the mouth before focusing his attention on the younger siblings.

 

“BOTH OF YOU!” he yelled.

 

Jiyong had Dara in an arm lock and Dara’s nails were plunged deep into Jiyong’s waist. With the sound of Seunghyun’s voice they stilled.

 

“Brother, I’m about to kill her. Can this please wait till after?”

“Unfortunately no. Bom decided to eat at home. She wants to spend it just with us and no interruptions.” Seunghyun paused for dramatic effect, “Both of you are cooking.”

 

And like that, everything around Jiyong and Dara changed. Jiyong released Dara whilst the latter stood straight and wrapped her hair in a bun.

 

“Are you driving?” Dara asked Jiyong calmly.

He responded back politely, “Yah, Seunghyun will probably want to stay in the back with Bom.”

Dara nodded as Jiyong started walking out of the kitchen, keys in his hand. “K. Let me just get my wallet.”

“Don’t forget to bring your ipod.” He said over his shoulder.

“Got it.” And both of them were out of the kitchen composed, leaving an awe- struck redhead.

 

It took a few moments for Bom to take it all in. Dara and Jiyong stopped fighting. They acted civil. And Dara agreed without any malice. “What the hell was that?!”

 

Seunghyun grinned at her, “Freaky isn’t it?”

“What the hell was that?!” As if repeating it would give Bom the answers.

“It get’s even better.” Seunghyun placed his hand on the small of Bom’s back and led her out of the house.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's short I know... but the good stuff is coming. Trust.