Pause

Nobody Said It Was Easy

 

 

 

 

“If you don’t hurry, I’m going to combust right on this spot Park!” Jiyong yelled.

 

“Well, in that case…” Dara slowed her movements down as she took her house key and incrementally inched towards the door lock.

 

“Don’t fck with me right now!” Jiyong's patience dwindled second by second. 

 

Dara’s hand paused and looked back at him pointedly, “You should have went to the bathroom when Seunghyun asked-”

 

“Oh my God woman!” Jiyong couldn’t take it anymore. He snatched the key out of Dara’s hand and hastily unlocked the front door. The boy ran in and down the hallway in darkness.

 

“Tch, what a wiener.” Dara shook her head and the lights. She walked further down the hall to the kitchen passing the bathroom. “Next time turn on the faucet! I could hear your piss from here!”

 

“Stop listening you !” Jiyong retorted back as it echoed through the bathroom.

 

She rolled her eyes and shuffled to the refrigerator. Her, Jiyong, Bom, and Seunghyun spent the whole day at the park and she hadn’t eaten since this morning. She would have had lunch, but Jiyong had taken the money for the both of them and spent it. She had no idea on what, but Jiyong wouldn’t tell her… which only erupted in another argument. So there she was, taking out containers of leftovers to fulfill her appetite.

 

“Jeez fatty, slow down there.” Jiyong walked across the small kitchen and onto a stool.

 

 Dara turned around with food in her arms and glared at him, “Is Princess Ji-tard satisfied now?”

 

“Yup, no thanks to you.” He shook his head.

 

“If it weren’t for me you’d be behind a bush by now.”

 

“Yah, whatever.” Jiyong stood up and reached across the table to snatch a container in Dara’s grasp and plopped back onto the stool.

 

“Those eggrolls are mine Kwon, you touch them I’ll kill you.” She snarled.

 

Jiyong responded with one eyebrow up. He opened the container and took an eggroll out with his fingers. Dara glared and inched her head sideways warning him. The raven haired boy plopped it into his mouth while keeping his eyes on Dara the whole time.

 

In a flash, both of them moved. Dara dropped the food on the table and ran around to tackle Jiyong. Jiyong backed away from the stool and didn’t even dodge her. Instead, he bent down in a defensive stance. It was like he prepared for her attack. She was a tiny thing and he couldn’t help but smirk at the incoming mouse that supposedly was going to ‘kill’ him.

 

Before she made contact with Jiyong’s body she quickly balled her right hand into a fist and aimed at a certain nether region.

 

Both of them landed on the floor from the impact, with Jiyong on the bottom and Dara on top. But when Dara’s fist landed on his balls, he immediately pushed her off and took on fetal position. He groaned and cursed while the brunette girl beside him laughed manically.

 

“We can’t leave you alone for ten minutes without one of you getting hurt!” Bom yelled as she stood there agape. Seunghyun, who was behind her, just shook his head in disapproval.

 

As Jiyong continued to roll around and whimper, Dara tried to stop herself from laughing. “It was his fault,” she wiped her tears, “I warned him not to eat my eggroll and he did.”

 

“Well I didn’t expect you to rocket onto my .”

 

Both Dara and Jiyong whipped their heads towards each other with wide eyes. A few silent seconds passed then the two shouted, “PAUSE!” and busted out laughing.

 

Bom lifted her arms up in defeat, “It has been seven month. SEVEN MONTHS! And you both can’t stand being in the same room or have a decent conversation with each other. One of you is always beating the other one up, But as soon as someone says something that refers to ual connotations, you guys say that PAUSE joke and everything is right in the world?!” She glowered back and forth at Dara and Jiyong. “YOU’RE BOTH NUTS.” The redhead stormed out of the kitchen leaving everyone shocked.

 

“Uh, hyung what’s up with her.” Jiyong slowly stood up. The pain hadn’t subsided but he could momentarily move.

 

Seunghyun sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, “Bom’s just tired of you guys fighting all the time.”

 

“What does it matter? That’s what we do.” Dara stood up and quickly glanced at Jiyong.

 

“But you would think after almost a year, both of you would be on friendly terms.”

 

“Not possible hyung. We don’t operate that way.” Jiyong crossed his arms.

 

“It’s not a big deal anyways,” Dara said, “I don’t get why Bom’s so worked up about it.”

 

Seunghyun peered at the brunette girl, “Dara, Bom’s leaving for college next month. Has it ever occurred to you that she’s worried about you? The only people you communicate other than your sister is me and Jiyong.”

 

Dara hadn’t realized till then. Her first year in high school went by in a blur. At school, she continued her usual pattern of being alone and going to the library. But on the weekends her Saturdays were occupied with Bom, Seunghyun and Jiyong. Yah, her and Jiyong had developed a messed up friendship of civil hatred toward each other, but neither of them made an effort to show it in school.

 

Seunghyun interrupted her thoughts, “That’s why we had started asking you and Jiyong to come out with us. Bom thought it would be good for you to make a friend, but we didn’t expect it to turn out like this.” Seunghyun’s hand lifted towards the both of them.

 

“I’m perfectly fine on my own. I already keep to myself at school” Dara defended.

 

“But you haven’t been alone, alone.”

 

Seunghyun was right, Bom was there for her at the end of the day. Dara bit the inside of her cheek, the panic started to bubble within her, “It won’t be that bad, I can cook, clean, and commute to school.”

 

“Where will you get the money?” Seunghyun accused.

 

“My parents left some money.” Dara avoided the older boy's stare and looked behind him instead.

 

“And that will last you until Bom comes back from college?”

 

Dara just nodded vigorously at the question but she actually didn’t know. The reality of it all made her uncomfortable. Bom hadn’t prepared what would happen to her, was she going to stay in this small house alone? Did she have to take herself back and forth to school by herself? What about laundry? Bom hasn’t taught her how to use a washer and dryer.

 

Dara felt her hands warm, she looked down and saw her sister’s thin fingers wrapped around her hand. Her eyes travelled up and saw Bom with a small smile on her lips.

 

“I have thought about you,” Bom answered Dara’s thoughts, “I arranged everything for you when I leave. Of course I wouldn’t leave my fourteen year old sister to fend for herself.” Bom squeezed her hand, “I’m not that mean.” Dara’s mouth pulled into a smile.

 

Bom continued, “There was also another reason why we’ve been…” Bom glanced sideways to Jiyong who was next to her, “hanging out…altogether.”

 

Seunghyun stepped forward and put his hand on Bom’s shoulder. He spoke, “Dara, when Bom leaves, you’ll be staying with me and Jiyong.”

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Uh oh! Dara and Jiyong under one roof!

Comment and subcribe!