Endurance

Nobody Said It Was Easy

Ten years ago...

 

“Dara, wake up and get your little tushy out here!”

 

Dara lay still in her bed and stared at the door knowing her sister’s fists on the other side were abusing it. Dara had, in fact, been awake for the past hour, but it was a Saturday, and that meant no school. She wanted to read all day and planned to do nothing other than that.So there she was, blissfully reading her kindle, until her sister, Bom, started annoying the crap out of her. Dara continued to stay quiet hoping her sister would give up and leave her alone.

 

A few seconds later, Bom charged inside. Dara’s eyes immediately shut and dropped the kindle onto her stomach, her arms laying limp on each side of her, as if she dropped dead. Literally.  

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Bom mumbled, “You have the slowest reaction time, I saw you looking at me before you shut your eyes.”

 

With her eyes still closed Dara whispered, “I sleep with my eyes open.”

 

“Do you talk in your sleep also?” Bom crossed her arms in annoyance.

 

“Yes. Yes I do.” Dara smartly replied.

 

“Alright enough.” Bom walked to the window and pulled up the blinds so the streaming light of the sun shined through.

 

Dara literally hissed like a cat and shielded the sunlight with her hands.

 

“I’m allergic!” She yelled, “I’m melting!”

 

Bom huffed and rolled her eyes, “Oh shut up, it’s Saturday and it’s beautiful outside. Let’s go out!”

 

Dara opted to sit up and just looked at her from her laid position, “Exactly, it’s Saturday. I want to stay home and read. Now get out.”

 

“Dara, don’t be such a loser, spend time with me. I’ve got nine months.”

 

Dara was four years younger than Bom, and Bom was graduating high school by the end of the school year. Then, Bom would move out and study abroad at the opposite side of the world. Dara knew that once this school year was over, she would rarely see her sister. And with their parents dead, she would be completely alone. But Dara was okay with that, because she was a responsible and self- sufficient fourteen year old girl. Of course she would miss her sister, but Bom was accepted with a full ride scholarship and she didn’t want Bom to miss this chance. Dara loved her, and she knew that this was a good thing for her sister so of course she wanted her to go. Yet the thing was, ever since Bom got accepted, she looked at Dara with this concerned expression. Like she was eight again when they lost their parents. Like she was a lost kitten. Like a just-say-stay-and-I’ll-stay look.

 

Psh. Dara wouldn't say that.

 

Dara inwardly groaned and got up from her bed, “You know I really hate that look.” She muttered.

 

Bom looked at her questioningly, “What look?”

 

Dara shrugged, “Nevermind, I guess I could read tonight…”

 

Bom blinked once, then twice. “Really? Your coming?”

 

“Yes, really.”

 

“Wow,” Bom said in awe,  “And I didn’t have to drag you out.”

 

“Yah, well… I’m feeling extra perky today.” Dara’s voice was laced with sarcasm.

 

“You should be, Seunghyun is coming and…”

 

“Then why do I have to go?!” Dara interrupted, “I don’t want to third wheel with your stupid boyfriend.” 

 

“Dara, Seunghyun isn’t stupid. I’m gonna tell him you called him stupid.”

 

Dara stuck her tongue out at her.  She actually really liked Bom’s boyfriend Seunghyun. He was all kinds of sweet to her sister, and Dara warmed up to him in only just a day, and with Dara’s personality... any type of warming up to anyone was nonexistent.

 

As Dara walked out of her bedroom and towards the bathroom, Bom tailed along, “Anyways, he’s going to be here in a couple hours and he’s bringing someone.”

 

Dara froze right in front of the bathroom and slowly turned around. Her eyes formed into slits and her nose scrunched. Dara knew what her sister was doing and she’s avoided it like the plague. Screw Bom’s sad, longing look, she was not gonna go through with this.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” Dara said menacingly.

 

“We’re just having lunch that's it!” Bom reacted.

 

“No! No! No!”

 

And then the two sisters started yelling at each other, trying to raise their voices louder than the other.

 

“I refuse to go!” Dara shouted.

 

“You’ve never even met him!”

 

“I don’t need to meet him, I hear about him all the time! I just started high school a month ago, and from what I’ve heard, he’s someone I won’t get along with!“

 

“You can’t judge him from what other people say.”

 

“If the 'other people' you’re referring to is the whole damn school then… yes, I’m judging him!”

 

“You shouldn’t really talk you know… The same people that told you about Jiyong are the same people that said you have urinary incontinence."

 

Dara’s arms flew up, “That was one time! In sixth grade! Can people just forget about that?! I had a lot to drink that day!”

 

Bom smirked in victory, “Well see! Now maybe you can think twice about the things you hear about Jiyong…”

 

Dara countered, “He hooked up with three girls in one day. Don’t tell me that I’m wrong because you saw what happened the following Monday when all those little came at him in the hallway at once.” Dara goofily reenacted the scene as she pretended to slap Bom three times.

 

Bom flinched, “Come on Dara….He’s Seunghyun’s younger brother.”

 

“Bom, I don’t care if they’ve come out of the same womb, they're completely different. Seunghyun is good to you! I know it, everyone in school knows it, even that cat lady that roams around the drug store knows it! But Jiyong… He’s a walking disease.” Dara faked a gag.

 

Bom growled in frustration. “I’m asking you to hang out with us, not sleep with him. Jeez Dara you’re only fourteen, I don’t want any of that going on when I leave!”

 

“Tell the other fourteen year old that.” I mumbled.

 

Bom and Seunghyun had been together for three years already but not once has Dara talked to Jiyong.  

 

“Can you just…” Bom paused “…come with an open mind. We don’t have that much time together…” Bom gave her the look.

 

Dara groaned, “Sometimes I’m starting to think that face isn’t genuine anymore.”

 

Bom ignored her comment“So what do you say?”

 

Dara griped, “Fine! You owe me like a million books for my kindle!”

 

“Of course! Ahh thank you so much!” Bom jumped and engulfed Dara in a hug.

 

“You’re lucky I love you…” Dara muttered.

 

“I love you too girly.”

 

 

 

Dara got out of the shower and saw something on the counter that wasn’t there before. With disgust, she picked it up between two fingers. It was a simple blue sundress, but Dara doesn’t do dresses. She scoffed and walked out of the bathroom twirling it around with her hand. Her sister could never get her in a dress as long as she…

 

“Bom! Why is my door locked!!”

 

Dara went and banged on Bom’s door but she had hers locked as well. She cursed openly and stormed back into the bathroom.

 

“I don’t even have my undergarments you maniac!” She yelled over her shoulder.

 

As she went back to the bathroom, her bra and were there. It was actually under the dress but she was too distracted.

 

“To hell with it.” She muttered to herself. “It’s one day, and then I can go home and read as if today never happened.”

 

Bom's bedroom door had magically opened when Dara finished getting dressed in the bathroom. She shuffled in there, muttering senseless remarks about the dress until her eyes brightened at her kindle in the middle of Bom's bed. An hour later, immersed in her story, their was a knock at the front door.

 

Oh my crap, the walking STD is here. Dara thought.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hi! Okay so I know nothing isn't happening but like all stories, I've got to give you some background info! Stay tuned!