Black orbs

War of the waiters

The man infront of me carefully studied my face while I nervously played with my fingers. His gaze seemed to be evaluating me and it didn't make me feel all that comfortable. His office was huge. The furniture was made from leather.  There were paintings everywhere. Damn, this Lee Sooman guy is rich.

"Mr. Kim, can you please stand up?" - His eyes pierced through me and I suddenly felt so small cause I am in general.... vertically challenged. 

I slowly stood up and thanked god that I put shoelifts on today. Although originally they were to look normal compared to Minho.

Lee Sooman let his eyes trail over me before writing something down and asking me to sit back on the chair. He then spend some more time writing things down before looking up ready to say the final word. My insides were all twisted - partially because I still haven't eaten and partially because I knew that this is very important. He took off his glasses and put them down.

"Mr. Kim, am I correct to assume that you have no working experience whatsoever?" - I shook my head timidly. - "I see...... Well there is no denying you are attractive. And you seem to be quite a charming guy who would appeal to both genders...... I guess, If you promise to-"

*Knock-knock* I turned quickly around to look at the crack in the door that revealed Junsu the waiter's face.

"Sorry, Mr. Lee..... I know you already have this fella...... But there is someone else who wants to apply for the spot" - In the middle of the sentence Junsu-shi sent me an apologetic look and my heart sank for competition is never good. Lee Sooman signed.

"Well..... Let him in....." - My maybe future boss put his glasses back on.

Junsu stepped aside to reveal a rather young good looking..... I would even say extremely good-looking guy. He had blond hair and very nice skin. His cheekbones and feline eyes only added up to his rather good complection. But that image suddenly shattered when I realised that he was my competition.

The.... boy quietly slipped into the chair next to mine and I was doing my best not to look at him. I pulled off the most serious face I could and stared blankly at the wall behind Lee Sooman. My hands were locked and placed on my lap. I made a great effort not to start playing with my fingers as that would only give away my nervousness. It was best just to look intimidating and scare the boy off.

Unfortunately from the corner of my eye I could definetely tell that the boy was perfectly calm and collected. I flared my nostrils and cursed silentely.

Lee Sooman closed my contract and a part of me wanted to just drop on my knees and scream "WHY???". But I stayed in my seat, pretending to be confident.

Lee Sooman looked at the boy and then back at me.

"Name?"

"Kim Kibum." - The boy's voice was surprisingly nice. A bit husky but soft overall. Curious...

"Age?" 

"18" - Crap, that boy was still in high school, there is no way I could lose to him. He's just a kid.

"18? Aren't you a bit young to work at such an elite restaurant?" - The boy signed.

"That's up to you to decide, isn't it?" - And I made a mistake. I looked at the boy. I managed to catch a glimpse of an earing and his piercing eyes before quickly putting my head back in its rightful position. Lee Sooman also seemed to be caught off guard by the boy's answer. I should really stop calling him boy - he has introduced himself afterall.

"I see..... Have you ever.... ummm.... worked before?"

The boy searched his bag only to take out a small card and a little book. He stood up and carefully laid them in front of Lee Sooman.

"What is this?" - The man pushed up his glasses and looked at the papars in front of him.

"My school ID and the recommendations from my previous bosses." - The boy sat back down while Mr. Richpants started looking at the papers.

And that it happened. The boy - I mean Kibum looked at me. And I looked back at him. We locked eyes and stayed like that.

His eyes were extremely black and deep. It felt like I was drowning in a very deep sea. Koreans usually tend to have rather black eyes but this was beyound anything I have ever seen before. He studied my face slowly while I continued trying to catch a glimpse of those orbs. They were so creepily deep. So piercing. We locked eyes again. And strangely enough I didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

"Mr Kim?" - both of our heads snapped to look at Lee Sooman but he was only adressing Kibum....-shi. - "Should I feel concerned that every single one of your bosses wrote down that you have an attitude and a sharp tongue?"

"Yes. I think that should be something worth being concerned about." I was loving this guy more and more with every second.

"May I wonder why your past bosses have such a belief?"

"You may." - Lee Sooman raised an eyebrow for Kibum to continue talking - "Possibly because I have either insulted or physically damaged a customer in every single place I worked at. Oh, once I punched my boss." I stared at the boy in awe. To punch a customer or your boss? I don't think even I would have enough guts to do it.

"Wow.... And what could have possibly made you act in such an irrational way?" - Lee Sooman took off his glasses and looked at Kibum. The boy shrugged.

"What would you do if a customer did something disrespectful or inappropriate? I stand up for myself."

I butted into the conversation.

"What did they do?" - I asked curiously.

Kibum looked at me for a while before signing and answering.

"They would either make a suggestive remark or touch me in.... Ummm... Inappropriate areas I'd rather leave untouched."

"Those areas being what?" - I asked even though I could have guessed.

"My ." - Mr. Lee suddenly choked on his coffee.

"Those bastards!!!" - I snarled.

Kibum just stared at me strangely before standing up to pat Mr. Lee on the back. He stopped coughing and monioned Kibum to take a seat to which Kibum silentely complied.

"Mr. Kibum as much as it upsets me to hear that in other places waiters are treated with such disrespect I have to admit that you have acted unprofessionaly." - Kibum nodded. Mr. Lee signed and his eyes became a tad softer. - "But I can assure you that at the palace waiters are treated with respect." - Kibum smiled slightly and nodded again.

Mr. Lee put on his glasses.

"What am I gonna do with the two of you?" - This brought me back to Earth. There was only one spot and both of us could't make the team. And naturally I wanted me to be chosen. I liked Kibum but survival comes first. "Tell me why do you think you should be chosen instead of the other?" - I motioned Kibum to go first.

"Well.... I can actually make a cup of coffee." - I chuckled. That's one low blow.

"Jonghyun? Anything you have to say?" - I nodded.

"There is.... a low chance a customer will want to touch my ." - Kibum sat up

 "Excuse me but are you seriously choosing between me and HIM"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well you kinda don't seem to be that serious." - before I could come up with a witty remark, Lee Sooman stopped us.

"I have come to a decision"

*********************************************************************************************************************

I am sorry for another boring update ........ I hope it will get more exciting~