Junhee

The Reader

 She sat in the library, reading in some old books about everything and tried to concentrate on it. After a few pages she closed the book and took the next one. Nothing seemed as interesting as it usually was.

She loved reading. That’s nothing special. But she was obsessed with books. The library was her second home – she was there when she had free time. She worked in a big company as head and  marketing manager and she didn't have much free time due to that, but spending her time only with books made her lonely.
She neither went out nor had someone to talk to, but she didn't care about.
“Excuse me, Miss,” a voice interrupted her reading, “may you now leave the library? We’re closing!”
She looked up into the young man’s eyes and lay the book aside.
“Sure.”

It was past midnight when she arrived at her apartment. She had visited the publishing house to grab some new books to read. She did this once in a while, when she didn't have any books to read.
The cover wasn't finished yet and the book just had carton as binder, but that didn't bother her at all.
The title of the book was "Summer". Just one word – but that made the book interesting.
She opened it and started reading the first page.

"I worked in a bookstore in Manhattan. It was a little bookstore with just a few customers a day. My grandfather owned the shop, and then my father and then me. I never imagined working with something else than books and interested readers. I have tried to write a book when I was little, but I had soon given up, because I hadn't had enough courage to fill all those empty sheets of paper.
Women were never interesting for me, just books.
My dad once said that I was going to marry a book, if I don’t find a woman. That is probably the most accurate statement he ever said."


She closed the book and put it away. Walking into her study, she felt a headache growing.

"Well, I got a good going-over in the morning from old Miss Watson on account of my clothes; but the widow she didn't scold, but only cleaned off the grease and clay, and looked so sorry that I thought I would behave awhile if I could.  Then Miss Watson she took me in the closet and prayed, but nothing come of it.  She told me to pray every day, and whatever I asked for I would get it."

It was like someone read those lines to her. She was sure it was an excerpt form "Huckleberry Finn", but she never had read the book. She shook her head as if she could shake the headache and the weird thoughts out of her head.

The voice in her head kept reading the book out loud and she sat down on the ground, because it caused even more headache.

She leaned her head against the bureau and closed her eyes. She heard her phone vibrate on top of it, but she didn't want to pick up. Probably one of those secretaries who forgot to tell her something. She was stressed out after long workdays. And her workdays usually were long.

Sometimes she asked herself why she absorbed the company and the position of her father after he had passed away a few years ago. Being the head of the Song Corporation was hard. She had not to make mistakes. She was still waiting for the day when she would make her first big mistake.

Her mobile buzzed again and she lifted herself up and answered her phone.
Something uninteresting about a meeting tomorrow... Why couldn't she just ditch work and read books? She sighed and threw her phone trough the room.

The voice in her head kept reading "Huckleberry Finn" and she decided to just listen and sit there. The voice was pleasant. Just like the voice of a audio book narrator.
She noticed how she got sleepy and soon her eyes closed and she fell into a deep sleep. 



Author's note:

Annyeong yorobeun~
thanks for reading and feel free to drop comments and criticism (:

The excerpt of Huckleberry Finn isn't mine. It belongs to Mark Twain and I do not own it in any way.