Chapter 3

Life à la Mode
A/N: Hi.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
There was something that people often say when you finally meet The One. In movies, it's almost always exaggerated to the point that you're certain something like that couldn't possibly ever happen in real life. However, what most people often agree upon was this: You just know. You feel it in the butterflies fluttering around your stomach and in the blood rushing through your veins. It crashes against your soul, and it resonates within every single part of you—every atom, every molecule, and you know.
 
Well, that wasn't quite how it happened for Chanyeol.
 
Now where were we?
 
Ah. So he was being forcibly dragged by Luhan back into the menagerie. Yes, they were animals, the lot of them. They weren't even the type of crowd that he would normally associate himself with, but then again he never actually socialized prior to becoming a model (so that made his argument totally invalid).
 
Now, he didn't want to sound ungrateful because he did owe his modeling career and celebrity status to them, but sometimes, this kind of life could get a bit too much.
 
His current predicament was a perfect example.
 
Chanyeol tried with all his might to pull his arm back but the shorter male was surprisingly strong despite appearances. Luhan did mention once that his Chinese father used to do Kung Fu or some like that. That's probably where he got it.
 
On the other hand, Chanyeol was weak as because he never exercised. He couldn't even run without having to take a break after every 5 minutes or so. He really ought to do something about that, once he got enough downtime to actually pursue his other interests. Regrettably, it was an unlikely occurrence in his foreseeable future. He was fully booked for the next two months.
 
It was apparent that his struggles would gain him nothing but a sore wrist, so he soon gave up and allowed his weak self to be hauled away. He knew when to admit defeat, and this wasn't something he could ever hope to win.
 
Why did you say that? I'm not dying to meet him,” Chanyeol instead whispered harshly to his older friend, who looked every bit like an angel but acted like one of Satan's faithful minions. For all he knew, the insufferable minx might have really sold his soul in exchange for everlasting youth. That was the only thing that could explain the way he looked. He wouldn't put it past Luhan to do something as blasphemous as making a deal with the devil at all.
 
In response, said soulless entity just gave him a -eating grin, and Chanyeol swore he had never before felt such an overwhelming urge to slap Luhan. He was better than that, though. He was a good friend. Unlike someone who shall not be named.
 
He opted to just continue glaring at the other, hoping that his fury was palpable enough to convey his thoughts.
 
Despite his protests and overall reluctance, Chanyeol wasn't really angry. He just had trouble finding an accurate word for what he was feeling at the moment. Perhaps it was something akin to annoyance—at Luhan because he was forcing him to do something that he would rather not do and had absolutely no interest in, and at the same time himself, for making such a big deal out of what should be a simple and uncomplicated introduction to someone who was practically family to Jaejoong. He never had a problem with meeting everybody else in the 'Billionaire Circle' before (and that was when he barely had any idea about the lives of the rich and famous), so why was he acting this way about meeting Kris? What was so special about him?
 
Absolutely nothing, probably, and Chanyeol was only stupidly getting himself worked up over something so petty. It sure wasn't the first time.
 
Finally electing to just forget about it and allow things to unfold as they should, Chanyeol sighed and resigned himself to his fate. He was bound to meet Kris sooner or later, anyway, considering the man's close relationship with their CEO, so he might as well get it over with. There was nothing to lose, was there?
 
When the four of them made it to where the others were, Chanyeol was a lot calmer, and his thoughts weren't such a riot anymore.
 
Daddy!” Inhwan exclaimed upon seeing Yoochun, making grabby hands towards his father.
 
Hey, sweetheart. Where have you been?” Yoochun asked as he took the tiny 4-year-old from Junsu, giving him a loud smooch on his chubby cheeks and causing to Inhwan giggle adorably.
 
Everybody let out a collective 'Aww' at the sight, probably even Daniel. Not even hardass billionaires were immune to Park Inhwan and his angelic charms, very reminiscent of his mother during the singer's early years, according to what Chanyeol heard.
 
Inhwan went potty wif Yeollie noona!”
 
At this Chanyeol flushed, as all eyes turned to him with varying amounts of sympathy. They've definitely been there before.
 
Yoochun gave a full belly laugh, infinitely amused. “I'm sorry about that, Chanyeol. He has the tendency to treat any random person as his nanny when he needs to do his business. He even did it once to Beyoncé during Blue's birthday party last month.”
 
Chanyeol's eyes widened in disbelief. “Did she do it?”
 
Well, considering we found out about it pretty much the same way, then yes. Bey's a sweetheart, though, and is used to it from personally taking care of little Blue,” answered Junsu, playfully pinching his little munchkin's cheeks with a fake angry expression as if to punish him.
 
Wow”, Chanyeol whispered in awe. Compared to Beyoncé, he definitely was at the level of a nanny, regardless of what he did for a living. But then again, to a billionaire's son, everyone probably was.
 
Just then, yet another Park bratling joined them, stomping along the way with a disgruntled pout. Someone's in a bad mood.
 
Upon seeing the current state his first born was in, Junsu bent down to Chanhee's level and lovingly brushed some of his bangs away from his face. “What's wrong, baby?”
 
Chanhee's frown deepened and his eyebrows knitted together, clearly displeased at the endearment. “I'm not a baby, mom. Inhwan's the baby,” he said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest petulantly.
 
Junsu rolled his eyes in fond exasperation. “Ok, whatever you say, big boy. So mind telling mommy what the problem is?”
 
With an annoyed huff, Chanhee replied, “My bride is missing.”
 
The straightforward answer caused most of their spectators to raise an eyebrow in confusion. Furthermore, the little Park heir declared it in all seriousness, like it was supposed to be the answer to the innumerable mysteries of the universe and beyond.
 
Chanyeol heard Luhan snort beside him, and he had no doubt that they had the same person in mind. They were the only ones who got it immediately.
 
(Somewhere in a dance club in Midtown Manhattan, a certain 19-year-old flaxen-haired stunner sneezed and shivered, but it wasn't because of the lingering winter chill.)
 
I beg your pardon?” The Broadway star asked his son, blinking rapidly, his expression gradually morphing into mild horror.
 
Chanhee wrinkled his nose in irritation. “You heard me, mom. My bride has disappeared. He was here with them earlier.” At them, he pointed towards Chanyeol and Luhan, who were both doing their best to maintain straight faces with little success. This would never get old.
 
That was when recognition finally dawned on everybody else's faces, and soon, laughter erupted amongst them.
 
Are you talking about Sehun, my little man?” Yoochun asked his eldest, who gave his father a look that said 'Duh, who else would it be?'
 
Junsu facepalmed, while his music mogul husband only laughed even harder before saying, “Well, at least he's got good taste. Sehun is definitely a knockout.”
 
True, true,” Kyuhyun added, fist bumping with Yoochun. “And DAT A-” He was cut off by Victoria elbowing him in the gut.
 
OW WHAT THE-” although he didn't get to finish it as one look at his very pregnant and very pissed off wife shut him up. Kyuhyun pursed his lips tightly and never spoke again.
 
Chanyeol was amazed at how much control Victoria had over her husband. He wondered if he'd ever be that good at handling a man. Probably not. He was too nice. And it wasn't as if he was ever getting married, so there really was no point in thinking about it. He'd just grow old alone, taking care of 27 cats or something.
 
So where is he?” Chanhee asked again, when none of the stupid adults addressed his question. None of them knew the answer to it, anyway.
 
Luhan, being one of those who did know of Sehun's whereabouts, took it upon himself to explain it to the young (greasy) Park heir. “Well, I'm sorry, Chanhee, but Sehun had to leave early because he has a flight to Paris tomorrow morning. It's his job, you see.”
 
Then why didn't he say goodbye to me? I'm his fiancé!” The little boy exclaimed, earning another round of chuckles from the adults. These Park spawns sure were something else.
 
The amber-eyed vixen scrambled to find an excuse. What he came up with would definitely put him in a lot of , but it seemed like the best one at the moment. “Uhhh, he actually tried looking for you but he couldn't find you. He was in a hurry so he had no choice but to leave. BUT he told us to tell you that you two are going on a date when he comes back! Isn't that great?”
 
The little boy visibly turned scarlet from his neck up to his ears. “Really?”
 
Yes, absolutely! So be a good boy and wait for him, ok?”
 
OK!”
 
And with that, Chanhee left, presumably to eat more cake. He was now smiling and Chanyeol was positive that he was humming a happy tune as he skipped away. Whoa. This kid's got it bad.
 
Junsu turned to Luhan once Chanhee was out of earshot. “Did Sehun really say that?”
 
Of course not.”
 
Chanyeol gave Luhan a pointed look and mouthed, “Sehun's going to kill you.”
 
Luhan actually blanched at that, because a pissed off and vengeful Sehun was a force of nature.
 
It really bothered the youngest to get hit on by a fricking seven-year-old, of all people. It was one thing to be told 'Noona, you're so pretty', but another to be claimed as a bride.
 
It's not as if Chanhee's going to remember it, right?” Even Luhan didn't sound convinced at his own words.
 
Yoochun smirked. “Oh, he will. He's my son.”
 
Chanyeol was sure his older best friend was now thinking of a way to break the news to Sehun that he now has a date with the very kid he was trying to avoid at all costs, that wouldn't end in Luhan's lifeless body being found a few days later lying in a pile of his own torn designer clothes. Chanyeol was so looking forward to Sehun's return.
 
A clap from someone interrupted his train of thoughts, and Chanyeol looked up to see that it was Junsu.
 
I almost forgot about this, but where is Kris? I was supposed to introduce our Yeollie to him,” explained the mother of two, causing the rest to start looking around for the man in question.
 
And then Kyuhyun raised his hand.
 
Victoria glared at her husband, but nodded to give him permission to talk.
 
I believe he said he had to take a call from his father.”
 
Do you know where he went?” Daniel, who had been silently standing guard behind his own pregnant wife the whole time, asked. Chanyeol kind of had a thing for his voice, but don't let Changmin know that. It was just the voice, nothing more. He didn't have a type, remember?
 
Kyuhyun shook his head in the negative.
 
Junsu pouted. “Okay, then how about Jae and Yunho? These two haven't seen the painting yet,” he said, referring to Luhan and Chanyeol.
 
Changmin spoke up this time. “They're looking for a safe place to temporarily put it in, since they'd have to redesign the third floor gallery because of it and tighten up the security. You don't just dump a Klimt masterpiece somewhere and hope that it won't get stolen.”
 
Geez, all that for a damn painting? If that was the case, then he would rather not know how much it cost. He'd probably be the one to steal it himself, sell it, and then use the money to feed all the hungry children in the world. As much as he loved and admired these people, all their extravagant splurging was really unnecessary. Ever since his career as a model took off, Chanyeol hasn't even bought anything for himself because he simply didn't need to. Everything, from his clothes, to his furniture, gadgets and appliances, were either sponsored by a brand he was endorsing or given to him for free. Half of his considerable salary went to the bank, and the other half went to charity. If there's one good thing that came out of his expeditious rise to supermodel status, then it's definitely the ability to help the less-privileged. That was one of the only reasons why he was still even doing this. Especially now that it was becoming clearer and clearer the longer he hung around these people that he just didn't belong.
 
Chanyeol was steadily becoming upset, though it wasn't anyone's fault but his own for allowing himself to be consumed by thoughts like that. He thought he'd gotten used to this life after a year of being surrounded by nothing but glamour and prestige, but apparently not. He probably never will.
 
He needed some air.
 
Uh, can you guys excuse me for a moment? I'm kinda thirsty.” It was a lie, and he was certain Luhan had caught on to it, but he let him go, anyway.
 
Luhan and Sehun, having come from prominent families themselves, didn't really understand it either, but at least they tried. That was enough for him. They were his closest friends, and they were there for him when it mattered.
 
As he walked away from their group, Chanyeol considered his options, but since he couldn't possibly go all the way down to the lobby and out into the streets, he decided to head up to the 32nd floor balcony. Only the 31st was open to guests, so he was sure that aside from a few security personnel, the entire 32nd floor would be empty.
 
There was a password protected private elevator that led to the top two floors which could only be accessed from the pantry, but not too many people know about it. Aside from the Jung couple's inner circle, it was only him, Luhan, and Sehun.
 
Making sure no one was paying attention to where he was going, Chanyeol made a beeline to the spacious pantry. Upon entering it, he quickly noticed that the cabinet hiding the elevator was already pushed aside, but he didn't pay it any mind since it was probably only either the Jungs, or their security team.
 
He quickly punched in the pass code, and the elevator doors opened without a sound. Chanyeol stepped in and pressed 2.
 
It took him no time at all to get there, and once he stepped out, he saw that the entire floor was relatively dark, with only a few lampshades lit. It was just about bright enough to see where you're going and avoid bumping into furniture.
 
He was right about it being deserted, though. Well, except for two bodyguards, who nodded their heads at him but didn't say anything.
 
Chanyeol nodded back, and went on his merry way to his destination. It was nice to finally be alone. He didn't get to have this very often due to his unforgiving schedule.
 
When he arrived, he was surprised to see that the bulletproof glass sliding door was opened about a fraction, only big enough for one person to slip through it. Chanyeol thought it was weird that the guards didn't close it properly, but he didn't worry too much since they were just right around the corner.
 
The balcony wasn't very big, but it could hold about 15 people at the same time without being too crowded. It also had one of the best views of the New York City skyline. All the glittering lights from below and from other buildings were enough to illuminate it, so he didn't think of turning the lights on. He preferred it this way.
 
Chanyeol stood by the threshold and breathed in the air. He felt better already. He always loved being alone in here at night, one of the perks of being favored by Jaejoong so. He got a free pass to all of this whenever he felt suffocated by everything and needed to escape for a while.
 
He walked further into the cool night air, but as soon as it made contact with some of his exposed skin, he realized that leaving his coat downstairs wasn't such a great idea. Just because it was warm and toasty inside didn't mean it'd be the same outside. It was February, for 's sake.
 
Chanyeol was thinking of sending a quick message to Luhan to follow him and bring his coat along (at least he had his purse with him), when he noticed movement somewhere on the far side, behind a giant potted bamboo plant.
 
His initial reaction was to call for the guards, because it couldn't possibly be anyone but a burglar, and of course he couldn't fight the intruder off by himself. He knew nothing about self defense and he would surely die. That was not an option.
 
In an attempt at being stealthy, he slowly about-faced, but in his panic, he forgot that the glass door was mostly closed. He only managed to stupidly bump his head into it and fall backwards on his , thus breaking the silence with a dull thud.
 
Owww….” So much for stealth.
 
That was when the uninvited guest on the balcony noticed his presence.
 
Who's there?”
 
Chanyeol's heart almost jumped out of his throat. He tried to scream but found that he was too terrified to do so and no voice came out. He said a quick prayer for someone to come save him in time.
 
 
 
 
Yifan had excused himself about 10 minutes ago to answer an unexpected phone call from his father. He didn't want anyone overhearing it, so he went to the balcony on the 32nd floor for more privacy, where people were unlikely to stumble upon him.
 
He was currently still on the phone with his old man, who seemed to be feeling relatively fine that evening. Yifan and his father might not always see eye to eye, and the man didn't exactly have A+ parenting skills, but he loved him dearly. He was certain the Wu patriarch cared for him in his own way, even if he didn't really show it often. Yifan guessed it was just a side effect of being a man of his stature, and learned not to dwell on it too much as he grew up.
 
Be careful not to strain yourself, though,” Yifan chided gently, concern genuine.
 
I know, son. The most I did today was read a book and take a short stroll in the garden. Your mother was with me the entire time.”
 
'She's not my mother,' Yifan wanted to say, but he thought better of it. No need to get his father upset over something so trivial.
 
That's good,” he said instead. Jiyoung wasn't so bad, and in fact had been a great companion to his father through the years, but the difference between her and his real mother was like heaven and earth. Truth was, Yifan's maternal grandmother was a descendant of the fallen House of Romanov*, and as such, his mother had actual royal blood flowing in her veins. On top of that, she was also the most beautiful woman Yifan had ever seen, not just because she was his mother, but because before she passed away, she was often cited by the media as such. She was also as kind as she was exquisite, truly possessing a heart of gold and always willing to lend a helping hand, especially to the poor and needy. He missed her terribly, and would gladly give up his entire fortune if it would bring her back.
 
There was a sigh from the other end, then Yifan heard a soft creaking noise that seemed to have come from a chair, and figured his father must have sat down.
 
So when, and how do you plan to start looking?”
 
Yifan pinched the bridge of his nose, although he really wanted to facepalm. He should've known. Of course his father didn't call him to simply talk about how good he was feeling and how he spent his day.
 
He internally debated on the pros and cons of making up just to appease his father and get him off his back for a while, but ultimately decided that the best way to answer it was just straight up honesty. “It hasn't even been half a day since I landed here, and quite frankly, I don't plan to 'start looking' until I've settled in... I don't even know where to begin.” He mumbled the last bit, but he knew his father understood him perfectly well.
 
His father sighed again, but this one was heavier than the first. “If you had just listened to me and married Zitao long ago, you wouldn't have this problem at all and we could have avoided doing it like this.”
 
Yifan wanted to hang up and throw his phone into the nearest wall. Trust his father to mention his ex whenever the opportunity arose. “Dad, it's been two years. You are more hung up on Zitao than I am. And besides, you know very well why it didn't work out for us.”
 
Only because you were too focused on other things and neglected him most of the time. You were always with those friends of yours. I can count with only one hand the number of times you actually brought him to New York with you in all those 3 years you were together.”
 
Yifan rolled his eyes, already done with the conversation before it even started. “Dad, I'm not discussing this with you again. Shortly after we got together, I had to take over the company because you got sick. I'm not blaming you, but the timing couldn't have been any worse if it tried. I suddenly had too much on my plate and barely had time for anything else. Not to mention his reluctance to try and actually get to know my friends. He could've spent more time in New York with me if he wanted to.”
 
But you could've tried harder, Yifan. He cared for you a lot. Even I could see that.”
 
We both could've tried harder, dad. I admit that. But that's the problem; we didn't.”
 
His father was silent on the other end, and Yifan hoped he will finally leave the topic alone and just forget about it. He's had enough of what-could-have-beens. What he and Zitao had had run its course a long time ago, and ended on a mutual decision. It was for the best.
 
Yifan decided to continue, just so he could have the last word. “And besides, he's now married to Yevtushenkov and is expecting their first child. He's happier now than he's ever been with me.” That much Yifan was sure of. Zitao was happy, and he was happy for him.
 
After about half a minute of dead air, his father spoke again. “Well, then I wish you luck in finding what you came there to find. Choose wisely.”
 
The 34-year-old CEO scoffed at the ridiculousness of it all. “What is this, a presidential election?”
 
I just mean that you should choose someone who'll be good to you and your family, like Zitao was.”
 
Does he really have to be your standard in everything? I admit that Zitao was as close to a perfect carrier as anyone could get, but he can't be the only one.”
 
Ah, and that's why you must find that one.”
 
That gave Yifan pause. His father said some really profound every once in a while that was difficult to give an intelligent response to. He couldn't just simply say, 'Yeah, OK cool' to that.
 
If that's the case, then you'll have to give me time. The only other one I know is already taken,” Yifan finally answered, referring to none other than Jaejoong.
 
His father sighed for what seemed to be the umpteenth time since their conversation started. “I'll give you as much time as my body will allow me to.”
 
Yifan frowned. “You don't have to talk like that, dad.”
 
I'd rather not lie to myself, son. I just hope I live long enough to see my grandchild from you.”
 
Yifan closed his eyes, feeling tired and melancholy all of a sudden. “You will, dad.” He wasn't sure if he was trying to convince his father or himself. He knew that his old man would be leaving him eventually, considering the current state of his health, but it didn't mean that he had lost all hope. He might not be as fond of his father as he was of his mother, but he still owed the man a lot. They had actually grown closer than they ever were before in the last five years, when the Wu patriarch first got diagnosed with his illness. Yifan didn't want him to be gone so soon.
 
So let's both do our best,” he added, trying to sound more positive. “You focus on getting even better, and I'll do what I set out to do.”
 
Yifan knew his father was smiling, even if he couldn't see him. “Alright, Fanfan.”
 
The unexpected use of his childhood nickname momentarily stunned him, but a small smile also soon found its way to his lips. He hadn't heard that nickname for so long, and hearing it again brought back a lot of fond memories of happier times, when everything was right. When his mother was still alive, his father was in perfect health, and he wasn't saddled with the weight of the world. Literally, because Wu Enterprises managed more than half of the world's major industries. And now he was also expected to find a suitable bride, get married, and produce an heir.
 
'Sounds easy enough, right?' Yifan's sarcastic mental voice taunted him, but he didn't encourage it.
 
Anyway, I think you should get some rest now. It's getting late.” He glanced at his diamond studded Hublot wristwatch and saw that it was almost 10:30 in the evening.
 
I think so, too. Good night, Yifan. And good luck.”
 
Yifan chuckled. “Yeah, I'll need it if I want to find someone even remotely close to your standards.”
 
His father gave a short bark of laughter, which was nice to hear because he hadn't even had the strength to do that before Yifan left for New York. “Silly boy. Now, go back to the party. They must be looking for you.”
 
I bet they are. Good night, dad. Take care.”
 
I will. You, too.”
 
He waited for his father to hang up first before doing the same. Yifan stared at his phone for a while before pocketing it, and then leaning forward against the balustrade. He smiled again, glad that their conversation ended well and on a relatively positive note. He was afraid that it would turn into another blaming game about his and Zitao's untimely end, but thankfully his father didn't push it. If it were up to him, he would never talk about it ever again. His father just had this exasperating habit of bringing up the past, especially Zitao because he was one of Yifan's exes that the old man actually approved of.
 
His father was incredibly hard to please, and understandably so, but Zitao didn't have to try too hard because he came with a pedigree and impeccable manners. Not to mention gorgeous and y as . They weren't the most compatible character wise and they had a lot of spats and minor arguments during the course of their relationship, but Yifan had to admit that they had the best . Zitao did yoga and was extremely flexible because of it. He acted like the perfect princess with everybody else but was a total freak in bed. Yifan loved that juxtaposition in his personality, among other things.
 
He did genuinely care about the younger man (they wouldn't have lasted as long they did otherwise), but Yifan never really saw himself spending the rest of his life with Zitao, no matter how much his father pushed for it. He knew their differences and contrasting personalities would eventually drive them apart. Also, at the time, settling down was the very last thing on his agenda. He still wasn't quite ready for it now, if he were to be honest, but none of that mattered anymore because he no longer had a choice. Bigger things were at stake here, more than just himself.
 
A sudden crash shortly followed by a thud derailed his thoughts, and just like any normal person, it startled him so he turned around to check what had caused it. And here he thought he could be alone with his thoughts for at least a little while more.
 
It was relatively dark, for the only source of light were from the other buildings, so Yifan couldn't see clearly through the bamboo plant obstructing his view, but the figure looked distinctly feminine, if the long hair and dress were anything to go by.
 
He then heard the person whine in pain, and was surprised to hear a much deeper voice than he was expecting.
 
Who's there?” He asked, but when he got no response, he decided to move closer.
 
He reached the figure in four long strides, and saw that they* were still on the floor, seemingly frozen in place.
 
Are you alright? Do you need help getting up?”
 
The stranger then looked up, and Yifan was taken aback by the sheer brilliance of their eyes. They were a lovely shade of hazel, possibly with specks of gray. Those gem-like orbs were the only things being illuminated by the lights, but Yifan had no doubt that the rest of this woman's (?) face was as gorgeous as her (?) eyes.
 
So you're not a burglar? You're not going to hurt me?”
 
Yifan had met lots of girls with deeper voices than others, but he was certain no girl should sound like this. So this person was male? It seemed like he was in the same league as Luhan and the others.
 
Yifan was used to being around their kind, though, so he really didn't find it absurd that he was dressed in women's clothing. Possibly a model, too.
 
He was more affected by the stranger's eyes, and almost didn't register the question he was asked because of it.
 
Yifan blinked. “I'm sorry, what? A burglar? What made you think that?” He'd been accused of many things in his entire 34-years of existence, but never a burglar. Did this person not know who he was? Or was it just because of the dark?
 
Well, not too many people know how to get here, and those who do are all on the 31st floor.”
 
The younger (?) guy still looked skeptical, and Yifan found it more amusing than anything. “I can assure you that I'm totally harmless. Unless provoked, of course. And besides, I'm pretty sure burglars wouldn't be able to afford Kiton K-50's,” he said, gesturing to his outrageously pricey bespoke suit.
 
He got a raised eyebrow. “You could've stolen it.”
 
Yifan had to laugh at that. “That makes sense, but do you see anything in my person that could've aided me in my trespassing?”
 
Pretty boy's shapely eyebrows knitted together as he squinted his eyes to examine Yifan's outfit.
 
After a few seconds of scrutiny, he said, “It's dark.”
 
Yifan snorted. “If you still think I'm a burglar, then feel free to call the guards,” he replied with a nonchalant shrug.
 
Doe eyes stared at him for a moment longer, before the figure visibly relaxed. “OK, you don't seem like a bad guy. Now, can you help me up? My hurts.”
 
Shaking his head, Yifan said, “As you wish, mademoiselle.” He added the female honorific just to see how the other would react. He wasn't sure how hazel eyes here identified as, so he's been switching pronouns. They were in a dress, after all.
 
To his surprise, he didn't get any reaction at all, except for the other accepting his offered hand. Yifan easily pulled them up, seeing as the pretty little thing didn't weigh even half as much as Yifan did. They were impressively tall, though, and Yifan discreetly allowed his gaze to travel up and down.
 
The gorgeous stranger had shapely legs that went on for miles, and had curves in all the right places, further accentuated by the lovely blue dress they were wearing.
 
It was then that Yifan realized that this was the girl he noticed earlier in the party, the only redhead in attendance, who stood out because everyone else was either blonde or brunette. He had a feeling that that wasn't the first time he saw this person, though.
 
Yifan racked his brains, but didn't come up with anything. He wouldn't be able to fall asleep tonight for sure.
 
Um, can you please stop staring at me? It's getting a bit creepy.”
 
That pulled Yifan out of the daze he wasn't even aware he was in. This happened to him in only one other occasion in the past, but he didn't want to think about that just yet. This might very well be just an anomaly.
 
Of course, where are my manners?”
 
The other looked him straight in the eye as they said, “Apparently not here.”
 
Wow, this hazel-eyed vixen sure was full of sass. Yifan found that he wasn't really bothered by it, if the person sassing him was this incredibly stunning.
 
Now that Yifan had gotten a better look, he also noticed the luscious, bitten red lips in perfect contrast to the flawless, angelic alabaster skin.
 
What really did it for Yifan, however, was the perfect, swan-like neck that he'd only ever seen in the late Audrey Hepburn. Not even Jaejoong, the most beautiful creature on Earth, had it.
 
Who was this tantalizing being? If they knew the password to the elevator and wasn't seized by the guards, then clearly the Jungs considered them special. So why was it that Yifan hadn't met them before?
 
You know what, if you don't stop staring at me right now I might just call the guards, anyway.”
 
Yifan immediately directed his eyes somewhere else. He couldn't believe he was caught ogling for the second time within the span of about 5 minutes.
 
I apologize. I really seem to have forgotten to take my manners with me here.”
 
Audrey Hepburn incarnate rolled their eyes as if to say 'Obviously', but didn't respond verbally.
 
Not wanting for their interaction to end just like that, Yifan was about to open his mouth to introduce himself, but the other suddenly started moving, going straight to the edge of the balcony and stopping by the balustrade.
 
Was that this person's way of telling him to off? Yifan would be damned if he did. There was no way that he was leaving here without knowing their name now that they've caught his attention.
 
Since he now had a nice view of the redhead's posterior, Yifan took the opportunity to admire it as well. The dress was open-backed, figure-hugging, and ended about 4 inches above the knee. It showed quite an abundant amount of skin but remained elegant and appropriate for the occasion. Especially if the wearer carried it this well. He decided not to focus too much on the rear, but it took a lot of willpower because the tightness around the hip area emphasized it a bit too much.
 
Suddenly, his nice view disappeared when the other did a 180 to face him again.
 
Pretty hazel didn't look pleased, and let out an irritated sigh. “Look, I came to here relax and get some fresh air, not to be ogled by a giant erted oaf. I would really appreciate it if you stop and just go away.”
 
If Yifan had any doubt earlier that this sassy beauty wasn't aware of his identity, then now he was certain of it. The redhead didn't know who he was at all. Strangely, the billionaire CEO didn't take any offense to it. It only served to intrigue him even more.
 
Yifan maintained eye contact as he approached the current object of his curiosity and attraction. He tried not to appear too predatory so as not to put the other on guard.
 
He maintained a respectable distance between them and made sure he had an amiable expression.
 
I hope you don't mind me being too forward, but I seem to be unable to take my eyes off of you. You're simply beautiful. That's the truth. I mean absolutely no disrespect.”
 
His fairer companion perused him for a moment longer, as if to gauge whether he was really being honest, before finally giving a small shrug. “Well, you're hardly the first creep that I've encountered, so I guess I'm already used to it.”
 
Yifan feigned a hurt look as he said, “Do I really seem like a creep to you?”
 
What else would you be?”
 
Can't I be an admirer instead?”
 
What makes you think you deserve to be upgraded?”
 
Because I'm sincere about everything that I just said?”
 
Why should I believe you?”
 
It took Yifan a while to think of a good response, but deemed everything to be common and cheap answers guys gave to secure themselves a one night stand. This one deserved so much more than that.
 
To be honest, I can't give you a good enough reason to believe me, because you've probably heard them all before. If you think I'm just lying to get you to come home with me, then feel free to slap me. However, I just want you to know that that wasn't my intention at all so I hope I did not offend you in any way. I'm happy to simply be acquainted with you, if you'd allow me to.”
 
After his lengthy speech, Yifan waited with baited breath, like a criminal at a court hearing waiting for his final verdict. He felt ridiculous, but he didn't really care. This anonymous siren had such an effect on him. Yifan didn't know yet if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
 
An eternity passed (or at least that was how it felt to him) before a smile slowly blossomed on the other's pretty face. Yifan knew then that he just discovered another rare gem. He just needed to know if it really was his for the taking.
 
OK, then we're acquainted. Nice to meet you, I'm Chanyeol.” Chanyeol. Chanyeol. Yifan was positive it was Korean, but he had no idea what it meant. Just that it fit the dazzling creature standing before him, now holding their hand out to shake.
 
Before Yifan could react and respond accordingly, a human whirlwind flew into the balcony and blew everything away.
 
God damn it.
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol was beginning to feel more and more comfortable with this handsome stranger.
 
Yes, Chanyeol did think he was attractive, but so what? It didn't mean he was actually interested in Mr. 'Kiton K-50'. He wasn't so shallow that he'd be swept away by physical appearance alone and offer himself up on a silver platter. Hell would freeze over before that happened.
 
The guy was obviously another rich , but he seemed genuinely nice and gentlemanly (aside from the excessive ogling, though Chanyeol would let it slide for now). He was almost as pleasant as Jaejoong and Co., and truthfully, he wouldn't mind becoming friends with him.
 
He actually felt kind of bad for being such a sassy earlier, but in his defense, he wasn't in the best of moods to begin with, he bumped his head and fell flat on his , and he honestly thought the guy was planning to proposition him. No one could blame him for handling the situation the way he saw fit. Chanyeol made a mental note to apologize later on, anyway.
 
He was still waiting for the older man to introduce himself, but it never came because Luhan chose that moment to interrupt them by barreling into the balcony and all but shrieking, “There you are, Yeollie! I've been looking all over! I thought you'd decided to ditch me or something. Good thing I found your Burberry trench hanging on the coat stand. Who are you talking-”
 
Luhan's mouth fell open unattractively upon seeing who he was with, though Chanyeol couldn't for the life of him understand why. Maybe he found the guy handsome as well? He surely was Luhan's type.
 
When the older model finally recovered, what he said next made Chanyeol's blood run cold.
 
Kris! I didn't expect to see you here!”
 
Well, .
 
So apparently, the guy he just called a 'giant erted oaf ' and sassed out like there was no tomorrow was none other than Kris ing Wu Yifan, aka Billionaire Extraordinaire. More than anything, Chanyeol was worried that the guy would decide to punish him for his behavior. He could easily convince Jaejoong to fire him, and while he didn't exactly find his job ideal, he still liked it enough. Plus, he could make generous donations to various charities because of it. He didn't want to lose it just yet.
 
Mr. Kiton K-50, now identified as Kris Wu, gave Chanyeol a wink, probably noticing that Chanyeol had already put two and two together. He didn't seem to be angry, so perhaps Chanyeol could get out of it unscathed. He hoped so.
 
Hello, Luhan. It's good to see you,” said Kris, flashing the doll-like model a beatific smile. Was Luhan Kris' type, too? Chanyeol had to wonder. They would look absolutely gorgeous together, and would create the most adorable children with their combined genes, but unfortunately, Luhan's already taken.
 
Luhan returned the smile, just as delighted. “I know, it's been a while. How have you been?” Chanyeol had no idea that his best friend was capable of being this pleasant. He was like a totally different person.
 
Well, I can't exactly say everything's great, but I'm fine.”
 
Luhan suddenly looked sympathetic. “Yeah, I heard about your father. I do hope he recovers.”
 
Thank you. I believe he will. I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago and he said he was feeling considerably better today.”
 
That's really great news. I hope it continues.”
 
Chanyeol remained quiet during the entire exchange, feeling very much like the awkward penguin that he was. It wasn't as if he had anything to say, and he couldn't just pretend that he knew what they were talking about.
 
He tried to slowly inch away from the two to get back inside, but Luhan noticed it and grabbed his arm to hold him in place.
 
By the way, I see that you've met Chanyeol here. Junsu was planning to introduce the two of you but you weren't there. And then Chanyeol suddenly decided he needed some fresh air for whatever reason. That's why we were looking for you. It's quite a coincidence that he chanced upon you here. Or was it the other way around?”
 
Chanyeol wished that Luhan would just shut up. He didn't need any further embarrassment.
 
Oh no, I was here first. It was quite an unconventional way of meeting someone, I have to say. That was definitely the first time I've ever had an encounter like that. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, though.”
 
Oh, do tell.” Luhan was already sporting his patented -eating grin, and that never meant anything good for everyone involved.
 
Chanyeol widened his eyes at Kris in a silent plea not to reveal it, because Luhan wouldn't let him live it down.
 
Fortunately, the older man seemed to take pity on him, gave him another wink, before addressing Luhan again. “Actually, I think I'd rather keep it between the two of us, right, dear Chanyeol?”
 
For some reason, when Kris returned his gaze to him, there was a slightly different look in his sharp, molten silver eyes. Chanyeol didn't want to think about what it could possibly mean, so he looked back at his best friend and nodded.
 
Luhan pouted, the childish action making him look even younger than he already did. “Aww, you're no fun.”
 
Kris chuckled, a rich, low sound that suited him very well. “I can't always indulge you, baby doll. You're spoiled enough as it is.”
 
Glaring at Chanyeol, Luhan crossed him arms in front of his chest. “Hmph! Is it because you like Chanyeol better than me now?”
 
Chanyeol stiffened, but found himself weirdly interested in how Kris would answer it.
 
Don't be silly, Xiao Lu. Of course you're still my favorite.”
 
Of course. Chanyeol didn't know what he was expecting. There was no way that Kris would already like him better when they barely even knew each other. Plus, Chanyeol did treat him like and call him names.
 
But, Chanyeol here isn't so bad. He's very… charming and outspoken.”
 
Luhan snorted, throwing him a quick sideways glance. “Oh, definitely. You should see him in a good day. He'll drive you insane with his shenanigans.”
 
Not wanting to give Kris the wrong impression, (but who was he kidding? He'd already established himself as a sassy and there probably wasn't any way for him to redeem himself anymore), Chanyeol tried to rectify it. “Hey! You're still much worse than I am! I'm energetic at best and I like being happy. You, on the other hand, are out of control.”
 
Says the guy who blew up Sehun's microwave,” replied Luhan, sticking his tongue out.
 
That was an accident! It short circuited!”
 
Whatever, it still happened when you were using it.”
 
It was Chanyeol's turn to pout, looking up at Kris, who was regarding them with mirth.
 
Alright, kids, I think that's enough. It's getting cold and you both don't have your coats on. Let's get warmed up inside, shall we?”
 
Yeah, you're right. I'm freezing!”
 
And with that Luhan walked away without bothering to wait for them, leaving him alone with Kris once again.
 
The atmosphere was definitely heavier now than it was before Luhan came, and it wasn't only because Chanyeol was now aware that he just met the last member of the Billionaire Circle, who less than an hour ago he was so reluctant to meet (and whom he treated very poorly. He wouldn't be able to get over that for as long as he lived.)
 
Kris dispelled the growing awkwardness by clearing his throat. “So I guess I should re-introduce myself, since we got sidetracked by Luhan and all.”
 
Surprised that the older man was still willing to talk to him despite it all, Chanyeol shook his head. “That's not really necessary anymore. I already know who you are.”
 
And besides,” he continued, “I owe you an apology for the way I treated you earlier and for everything that I said. I take it all back.”
 
The older man simply waved it off. “It was nothing, don't worry about it. I don't mind at all.”
 
Are you sure? I wasn't feeling like myself earlier, and I swear I'm usually a lot nicer than that.”
 
Like I said, don't worry your pretty head over it. I'm not mad or anything.”
 
Chanyeol smiled, relieved. “Thank you.”
 
He was glad that Kris turned out to be a lot more grounded, as opposed to what his wealth and status may suggest. He had a regal bearing, much more prominent than Yunho's or Daniel's, but there was absolutely no conceit.
 
But I meant everything that I said.”
 
That caused Chanyeol to blink in slight confusion. “Huh?” was his intelligent query.
 
The intensity in Kris's eyes seemed to have multiplied tenfold, and locked Chanyeol's own in place. He couldn't look away even if he willed himself to.
 
Chanyeol could only brace himself for whatever he was about to hear.
 
There's something about you that intrigues me so, and I want to figure it out. I feel like I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life if I let you get away, so it would make me very happy if you'd allow me to take you out sometime.”
 
.
.
.
 
Oh.”
 
 
 
 
Unbeknownst to the two of them, Luhan stayed and hid himself behind the heavy drapes to spy on them, partly due to his inherent nosiness, but mostly because he felt something earlier, and his instincts told him that he wasn't just imagining it, nor was it a side effect of the alcohol.
 
What he heard basically confirmed his suspicions.
 
It would seem like Kris didn't have to look any further.
 
Luhan giggled into his hand and crossed his fingers. He gave the twosome in the balcony one last look before merrily skipping away, excited for how things were going to develop from here on out.
 
Too bad Sehun wasn't here to witness all of this.
 
 
 
 
A/N: And that was how they met. I'm sorry if it wasn't what you guys had in mind, or if you thought that it wasn't enough. I actually had several scenarios in my head of how I wanted this to play out, but this one seemed the most appealing to me because it was the only one where they were alone (for the most part). It gave me more opportunity to flesh their characters out and show a slightly different side to the both of them. I originally wanted to delve more into Chanyeol's background through his thoughts, but decided against it because I thought of a better way to reveal it.
 
A/N 2: My sincerest apologies that it took me this long to update. During my 2-year hiatus, I honestly thought that I'd given up on this. I still had a lot of ideas for it but I just couldn't bring myself to keep writing it anymore. I've been through a lot of bad stuff (as I've already stated previously in another story that I posted a sneak peek to last December), and it made me lose all the spark that I once had as a writer. It wasn't until the latter part of 2015 that I decided to open my drafts again and give it another shot. I'm glad I did. :) However, I don't know when the next update will be. I'll try to work on the next chapter as soon as I can, but I need to go back to work next week (I'm on an extended vacation for the holidays), and that, of course, will take priority. :(
 
And lastly, for those of you who are still with me, and remained faithful to Krisyeol despite the tragedy that has befallen EXO, you have my eternal gratitude. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. <3 For new readers, I want to warn you now not to expect anything. I'm a literal piece of lol. Hope you enjoy the ride, though, even if it takes me 25 years to finish it. 
 
Notes:
The Romanovs – They were the last imperial family to rule Russia. They were executed on July 17, 1918 by the Bolsheviks under the orders of the Ural Regional Soviet. The thing with Kris' grandmother being a descendant was made up, of course.
They – if you noticed during Kris' POV, he mostly used this pronoun to refer to Chanyeol because he wasn't sure what Chanyeol identified as, based on how he was dressed.