My job

Can I be happy again?

I lived the first four years of that thirdteen years as a pickpocket. Those four years taught me a lot of lesson, but the first lesson it taught me was how to survive. At the very first day, I was so disgusted with myself because I stole things from people walking on the streets, but what else can I do? What else can a child like me at that time do to survive at a street life? Maybe I can be a beggar? Believe me, I tried it.  But do you know how many people ignore me or said something like “I don’t have money” to me whenever I came near them. I need money to survive so I became a pickpocket. I knew it was the only way for me but still I felt disgusted. But then, I learnt, I learnt how to observe people to know that they have money or not, I learnt how to ignore my disgusted feeling whenever I stole something, I learnt what I should do to steal money or anything else from them. Sometimes, I got into a fight and got beaten up by the gangsters, and some other times, I got caught by the police. But I’m still alive.

I woke up at 8 am, had a bath, read some news on the Internet, and then headed to a tennis court. On my way, I bought a newspaper. I didn’t remember when I started to buy a newspaper, but I always buy one in the morning. My boss, Yunho, had already finished his morning tennis game, and he was having a cup of coffee and talking with his friend at a café nearby. I greeted them politely because some of them are big drugs barons, the others are mafia, smugglers; contrabandists, gunrunners, arms traffickers. Beside my boss is Minho, who was saved by my boss seven or eight years ago. He always does whatever our boss wants him to do with the belief that he is used at an important function. Only I know that the boss keep him as a grenade, when he need, he will throw it away, the grenade will blow up with his enemy and he is safe. Sometimes, I feel funny because of the ways Minho follow our boss’s command. He sees this mafia world like a big company, and he tried hard to get promotion.

The first page of the newspaper that my boss is reading is the picture of the bar I came last night. But he doesn’t care, like he never gave me that command to kill anyone. Somehow, he looks like he is enjoying his businessman life.

He likes me because I have everything he needs: a mind of great depth, no ambition so that he can freely share with me about his empire, and sometimes, about his life. After he finished his cup of coffee, I followed him to a port which was owned by him. He told me about his childhood friend, who is the other king of the kingdom that I was a courtier, about how two of them build their empire. But now, his friend is tired, he wants to rest and live a peaceful life.

 

“He doesn’t understand, we have so many deals with the others, he can’t quit like that. If we betray them, we’ll die for sure.” Yunho said.

 

At the port, in the storehouse, Minho gave me a QBZ-95, I wonder how can Yunho get this rifle, but, of course, I didn’t ask anything, that’s why Yunho trusts and likes me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Rifle_Type_95.jpg/300px-Rifle_Type_95.jpg

 

 

 

I just followed my victim. Yunho’s friend is few years younger than him. My boss always go out if he had chance, but Changmin, his friend’s name, is different, he is almost always at home if he doesn’t need to go out. He has one daughter who is at senior year in high school. I have never seen his wife because she never goes out. I heard that he has one older brother but I haven’t seen him, too.

Few days later, Yunho called me and gave me two choices: kill Changmin, or kidnap his only daughter.

 

“If you can kidnap Changmin’s daughter, that’ll be a good choice for all of us. He can have a peaceful life he wants, I can have the power I want, and you don’t have to kill anyone.” Yunho said to me.

 

 “But why can’t you just give him a life he wants? Why do we have to do it that way?”

 

“You don’t understand him like I do. He hates the life he is living so much that he wants to destroy it. If I were him, I wouldn’t do that. But I weren’t him, right? He really wants to do that.”

 

Killing anyone Yunho want has become my job, it’s just a job. I tried so hard so that I became like now: I don’t feel, I don’t judge and I don’t care about it. I just do it. But now, when I heard from Yunho that I don’t have to kill Changmin, I felt relieved. Maybe I and Yunho also think that Changmin’s wish is not wrong, even if it’s not good for us, for our business.