Don't Talk To Strangers

Country Side Life

Ugh. What is life, I thought as I got out of the car.
"Oh my~ Jihye honey~ Look at you, you're all grown up now, so pretty." My grandmother squealed as she came over to me and gave me a tight hug.
"Hi grandma." I said half unamused. I really don't want to be here, in the country side, working my off in the hot sun that would burn me and be the darkest person at school when I go back. Why am I even here in the first place? Shouldn't I be at home, preparing for college? I just finished high school, I should be at home relaxing, before I go off to college.
"Oh. Dear, let me help you with your luggage."
"Oh no biggie grandma, I got it." I said and grabbed my stuff. All I packed was clothes, some books that I probably won't even touch, my iPod and earbuds, some body care stuff, my sketch pad, and something dangerous. Okay, not so dangerous but whatever. I thought that since we would be here, we wouldn't be able to go watch fireworks, so I bought some of my own. Hehehe. Yeah, I don't do much at home. You see, I'm those lazy bums who goes to high school and rely on their parents... For now.
"Oh Jihye, while you're at it, grab your father's and mine too." My mom hollered as they all walked into the house.
"Are you ing me?" I sighed out. Ugh. I had to make three friggin' trips. The first to grab mine. The second to grab my dad's. The third to grab my mom's, I mean seriously, she has a luggage and a big bag. I brought them in and left it in the living room. Huh. The house looks the same. Come to think of it, I haven't been here for a loooooong time. Probably since I was 12 and I'm 18 now, well almost. After 12, I started asking my mom if I could just stay over my friend's house whenever they would come visit, and she would let me. My mom and her siblings used to live here, that until they all got married and moved out. So they have enough rooms for us, thank goodness. I would've had to sleep on the couch or share rooms with my parents.
"Jihye honey, stop standing there and bring the luggages to the rooms. You know where places are." I rolled my eyes and grabbed mine and my dad's at once, less trips to take. Luckily ours weren't as heavy, or I would've tripped, fell down the stairs, and break my neck. Then I came back for my mom's and joined them in the living room when I was done. Just as my grandma was bringing drinks and snacks: iced tea and macaroons. Mmm, good. After having a nice chit-chat, catching up time, it was almost 6pm. Damn, people can talk for a long time, and I mean long. We arrived at 12. And now I have to help my grandma and mom cook dinner, while grandpa and dad relaxed with some beer. Ugh. Cooking up some fried rice, fried tofu, kimchi, and teriyaki beef, we dug in when done cooking. We all finished eating around almost 8:30. I went into my room started unpacking my luggage. Putting my clothes in the empty drawer. Laying my products out on top of the drawer. Setting my iPod and the books on the nightstand. I grabbed my towel, my toothbrush and toothpaste, my facial cleanser, my pajamas, and went across my room to the bathroom, hoping no one was in there and thankfully no one was. I got out of the shower and put everything back where it was. I let the lights out, grabbed my iPod, and called it a night. I let the song Baby Don't Cry sing me to sleep. ...

"Rise and shine~" A voiced roared into the room. I covered my eyes as I heard the shades being pulled and the sunlight hitting my face.
"Urgh. Grandma, can you not do that next time?"
"But Jihye, it's 6 in the morning. You gotta get up, so we can start in the field." I cursed in my head as I heard the time. ing 6 in the morning? Who the hell-- Ugh. I do not remember waking up this early to work in the fields. I got up and did my usual morning routine. Then I dressing in a fitted light blue t-shirt with khaki shorts and tied my hair up in a messy bun. I walked down the stairs, still tired, hoping I wouldn't trip and fall. Then the smell of eggs and bacon me up. I quickly shuffled into the kitchen and saw my mom preparing the breakfast and grandma setting the table. I took a seat at the table, suddenly tired again, mouth slightly opened and eyes halfway opened. Dad and grandpa came right when mom finished. We ate in silence.
"Jihye, could you please wash the dishes." My mom said. I rolled my eyes and groaned, mentally. I collected all the utensils and washed them as quick as I could. Then I rushed out the house and saw my mom and grandma already picking some vegetable.
"Where's dad and grandpa?" I asked them.
"Oh, they're collecting milk and eggs." My mom answered.
"Jihye, why don't you go into the barn and grab the big basket." Like mother, like daughter, always bossing me around, I thought in my head. I quickly went to grab it and quickly went back to them. I stood there for a while waiting to be bossed around.
"Oh Jihye, we have apple trees now. They're standing over on the other side of the field. You'll see them when you walk straight up there. Bring that basket and pick the reddest apples you see." I looked at my grandma before walking the way she pointed. It wasn't long until I reached the apple trees.
"Wooah~ There're so many~" I said to myself. "And pretty." I went to the first one and started picking the lower ones. I knew I would have trouble with the high. I reached as high as I could but I couldn't grab the higher ones. I jumped, but only the tips of my fingers touched them. I tried reaching again, when all of a sudden a hand reached up and grabbed it for me. I turned around, surprised.
"Hi there." I stared at the boy.
"Um, do I know you?"
"No. I've never seen you around. I've been working here the past 2years though. Who are you?"
"My mom told me not to talk to strangers." I told him as I turned around. Still under the same tree, I jumped at another apple and actually successfully grabbed it.
"Yes!" I said and heard a chuckle from behind. I turned around to look at him suspiciously.
"So you work for my grandparents?"
"If your grandparents own this farm, then yes. My name is Daehyun, Jung Daehyun." He said and reached out his hand. "Jihye, Song Jihye." I said with a smile and shook his hand.
"So where are you from? How come I never see you all these days I've worked here?" He asked while grabbing the higher apples.
"I'm from Seoul. I stopped coming when I was around... 12 or 13."
"Seoul? Wow. What are you doing here then?"
"My parents always visit during this time and my mom thought it would be fun if we all came together this summer."
"Oh. Cool I guess."
"No. Not cool. I'd rather stay home and lay on the couch and do nothing. I mean come on, this is summer, I just finished high school."
"Oh really? Me too."
"Oh? Are we the same age then?"
"I don't know. Are we? I'm turning 18 this month." He said as we moved onto the next tree.
"Seriously? I turn 18 next month! When is your birthday?"
"June 28th, yours?"
"Dude that in 3 weeks! Mine is July 29th. What are you doing for your birthday?"
"Hm, I don't know. Probably nothing."
"Nothing?! But you're turning 18, you gotta do something."
"Do what? There's nothing to do."
"You're right. Ugh. That means I probably won't be doing anything for my birthday." I pouted and grabbed the apples that I could reach. We started talking about school. We talked about the high school we went to. About the people who went there and stuff.
"So what college are you going to?" I asked him.
"Some prestigious college in Seoul. Those people love brains. Seoul National University."
"Holy ! No way! That's where I'm going!"
"What? They accepted you?" My jaw dropped.
"Hey. Don't be judging me. I may be very lazy, but I do really good in school."
"Sure you do."
"Yah!" I yelled.
"Kidding. Gosh." He said and chuckled, but I scowled in return.

We moved onto the next tree. I grabbed all the lower ones as fast as I could. Then I tried reaching for the higher ones. When I jumped up at one, my hand slapped it and it fell on my head. All Daehyun did was laughed at me.
"It's not funny. That really hurt."
"It was totally funny~" He said still laughing and. I rolled my eyes at him. We were on our sixth tree when my grandma came and called us.
"You two getting along?" She asked.
"Of course we are. No girls ignore my charms, ajhumma." I stared at him in disbelief.
"Yah, don't be such cocky little boy." I said to him and he stuck out his tongue.

3rd POV

Grandma, walking behind them, saw their little interaction. "I can feel a couple being formed", she thought to herself and smile.
"Daehyun, sweetheart, why don't you join us for dinner?" She asked him.
"I would love to. You make good food, ahjumma."
"Good. That's good."