Heart To Heart

Child Searching For A Star

     

Chapter 6 - Heart to Heart

 
 

 

On the same afternoon of that day, Byunghee rushes out of the dorm as he convinces himself of confronting Hannah.

 

The curiosity in him took over as he became impatient to meet the child that was claimed to be his.

 

He got into his car and drove away in the direction of the neighborhood he was too familiar with.

 

 

As he was on the streets, his mind wandered to the night everything changed.

 

To the night where the feelings in his heart were starting to bloom.

 

To the night he fell in love.

 

 

A series of images were running through his mind, like a movie, reliving the moment his skin heated up at the touch of her fingertips to the moment he found himself entangled in the bed sheets, bids of sweats covering their bodies as they made sweet love to each other.

 

Though this night was for celebration, they had their few drinks along the way but the heat he felt wasn't because of the alcohol, it was simply because he was to blinded by his dream of becoming a singer that he never noticed the way she would sweetly call his name, up until that night, when they were the only words that would escape her lips, tasting pleasure to the extreme.

 

It was the first time he felt this way even though it wasn't the first time he made love to her.

 

He still remembers the help they made to each other when they were still in high school before he dropped out to pursue his future career. It was a silly thing, now that he thought about it, but at that time, it was a way to make their future relationship easier when they came to that ‘stage’.

 

Thinking over about his night with her, he could feel his skin slowly heat up, imagining the soft touch of her skin against his, grazing it as they were lying in bed.

 

He suddenly wanted to relive that moment remembering to have felt comfortable embracing her.

 

When she told him she had to leave, a couple of months later, his heart sank thinking that he wouldn't have had a chance with her now that she was  going to move overseas. He regretted not to have opened his heart when he had so many opportunities that  hit him in the face, but instead he just pushed them away, all for one goal.

 

 

A few minutes later, he finally made it in front of a house in his old neighborhood.

 

He parked his car in the driveway and slowly got out. His heart was beating faster with every step he took as he walked towards the door. His palms became sweaty along with his forehead where he could feel himself start to sweat from the anxiety coming from the situation he was in. The anger he felt disappeared, only to be replaced by hope.

 

Though it was unexpected, he couldn't help himself but have a tiny part of him happy to have a child.

 

He didn't know about her and he was still young to even think about marriage or kids but the fact that his first child was from none other than the woman he loved, happiness was carefully dancing in his heart.

 

Standing in front of the closed door, he took a deep breath as he looked down and looked back up, knocking on the door.

 

A few seconds went by with no response until he heard the door getting unlocked from the other side. As it opened, his eyes laid on two brown orbs he missed to look at.

 

‘Hannah…’

 

She looked back at him, completely blanked out from his presence.

 

For a moment there, she thought she was seeing things until she heard him call her name. Her heart stopped beating as the sound of his voice came through her, bringing her back to reality.

 

“Byunghee? What a-are you doing here?”

 

“I came to see my daughter.”

 

 

 

 

They were sitting on the porch with their backs facing the closed door.

 

They were both looking in front of them, no words coming out of their mouths.

 

So many emotions were running through them, it was like a big battlefield that was happening.

 

She was left speechless as she reluctantly stepped out of her house and just sat  there, not answering him. He followed her and sat next to her, his arms resting on his bended knees. None of them knew how to break the ice that was between them. As much as it was hard for him to have found out the truth, it was hard for her to face him, after purposely having to cut all ties with him, in the hopes that he'll never found out about the new life inside the house.

 

Joining his hands as he brought them up to his forehead, he took one last deep breath and broke their silence. He still needed to know the truth about her despite the feeling of happiness that was still lingering in him.

 

“Is she… really mine?”

 

She turns her head to his side, swallowing her own saliva as she thought about a way out of this but nothing came to mind.

 

It was bound to happen anyways, but right now it was too early.

 

For her child and for him.

 

She didn't stop looking at him, taking in the features she missed. In just three years he changed so much. She missed having to feel his arms hugging her tight, letting the warmth comfortably traveling through her body while making her feel safe, but ever since she left, she knew that it was the best she could offer to him even though in the end, everybody had to suffer a little bit, even her daughter.

 

As innocent as she is, she didn't deserve to be fatherless, but at the same time, it was better to live her life this way instead of building up a father-daughter relationship on no solid ground.

 

Through the days, Hannah convinced herself that her little Jinni was better off having a mother that would be there for her through thick and thin than having a father that wouldn't be able to hold onto his promises simply because of his dream.

 

Her gaze was still on him when he turned his head around to face her.

 

The face he was looking at changed.

 

That's the first thing he noticed. She looked more tired than ever and that could have probably been because of the new life she's been carrying without him, for the past three years.

 

It wasn't his fault and yet an ache of guilt was slowly starting to build up. He tried to cast it away but he just kept looking at her and it was still there.

 

She was still beautiful though.

 

He always found her beautiful.

 

The feeling in his heart pushed him to lean closer to her, until they could feel each others breaths. She wanted to push him away, but she wasn't able too. It was as if something was pulling her closer to him. Maybe it was the deadly feeling that was still burning inside her, or just simply the fact that she missed having to kiss those lips, but all she did was let him place his against hers, slowly moving as they let themselves melt into their kiss.

 

He s his arm around her waist, bringing her closer to him as she  held onto his arms. She let him took over as she suddenly felt weak from his touch, something that would always happen whenever their skin made contact with each other.

 

Her heart was ready to burst and it was something that she couldn't stand. She slowly pulled him away, her forehead resting against his. In a simple whispered words, she let's out her thoughts saying to him that they couldn't go on, that it wasn't right.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you're not supposed to be here.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Byunghee-ah… We just can't…”

 

“I came here to know why you hid her from me, now that I understand the reason you suddenly disappeared on me… Hannah, please. Tell me the truth. Is she really mine?”

 

She pulled away so she would properly look at him. The ache in her heart grew, hearing the desperate voice of the man sitting in front of her. She had no choice but to let it out. She had no choice but to let him know the truth. There was no way out after all.

 

She turned back to her initial position, facing the empty street in front of her, leaving Byunghee with his eyes still gazing at her.

 

“Yes…”

 

“Why did you do this?”

 

“Because I had too… It was best for you -”

 

“Best for me?!”

 

The anger was building up once again.

 

He got up on his feet and kicked a small pebble that was in front of him. His back was facing Hannah as he rubbed his temple with his hand while the other one was resting on his hip. His eyes were closed as he took deep breaths to calm himself down.

 

He turned to face Hannah who was still sitting looking at him, ready to let her tears escape her eyes. “Why did you think it was the best for me? In what world is it a good thing to keep the father away from his own child! My own flesh and blood! Hannah! I had to find out through my own sister about your secret!”

 

“I-I'm sorry!”

 

She got up, wanting to face him, but instead she just turned around and made her way back inside her house, but before she was even able to place her hand on the knob, Byunghee grabbed her wrist, turning her around with her back hitting the door as he was leaning closer to her face.

 

“Tell me.”

 

“I don't w-want t-too. You were better off not knowing that she exists. Leave. Please.”

 

“I'm not letting you go. Give me a valid reason as to why you hid her from me. Didn't you think it would be something that might have interested me, instead of flying out of the country?!”

 

“You're hurting me… Let me go, please.”

 

Hearing the distress in her voice, he let her go. She brought up her wrist to her chest, rubbing away the pain from his grip. He leaned closer, placing both his hands against the door with his forehead touching hers as he closed his eyes.

 

He whispers his apology and hugs her figure, placing his head in the crook of her neck. Her forehead was against his shoulder, with her arms still up against her chest. She took his scent in, a sudden feeling of nostalgia wrapping them around.

 

His hug got tighter as he kept questioning her about the reasons she lied to him. He was desperate to know and to understand why she would willingly hide something that was suppose to be the best thing ever for them.

 

“Why, Hannah? Why did you do this? Why? I want to understand but I can't because you won't let me.”

 

“I'm sorry, Byunghee… I didn't mean to hurt you like this…”

 

“But you did. I'm a father and I didn't know that. We should have been raising her together, not you by yourself. That's why it takes two to have a child -”

 

“I'm not alone, I have my parents.”

 

“And they won't always be here. Besides, she needs her father too.”

 

“She doesn't… She hasn't been since they day she was born. Byunghee, leave it like this and leave, please.”

 

“No. Not until I get to see her. Not until I get to meet my daughter. I have the right to see her. Whether you like it or not.”

 

“No.  Now go.”

 

“Hannah, I beg you, please.”

 

“I did this for a reason and I want it to stay that way. Now go before I push you even further away from me.”

 

A small moment of silence waved through as Byunghee let’s out a small chuckle while closing his eyes. “It's not the heart to heart I wanted…”

 

“But it's the one you get. Our expectations never meets reality. Now go. Please.”

 

“Can you at lest give me her name? Please. Just her name.”

 

 

 

gray-stars-md.pnggray-stars-md.pnggray-stars-md.png

 

 

~A/N~