You Can't Tell Him!

One Day

Was the woman insane? Who could ever believe such a story? Young Seung Hyun was frozen as he stared at the smiling woman across from him. Older Seung Hyun cleared his throat nervously. "You must understand something about our wife." he explained. "I do not lie to her about the important things in our life.  I may fib a bit on inconsequential details, but I do not lie to her when it is important."

Young Seung Hyun looked at him. "You do not? I mean, we do not?"

That seemed a bit odd. He had never heard of such a thing. The older man shook his head. The woman watched the younger man with a humorous glint in her eye. She leaned forward slightly and said, "You tried it once and it did not go over well. I can forgive much, but lying to me about something important in our lives is a sign that you do not respect me. Without respect there is only possessiveness and obsession, not real love."

The younger man stared at the seriousness of her expression and gulped audibly. It was almost as if the room had darkened when she had imparted this knowledge to him. It was as if the stillness was a sign that the world was listening to her wisdom.  Both Seung Hyuns were looking at the woman with awe and, on the part of the older man, fondness.  The older man crooked an eyebrow at the younger, "Do you see now why she is my wife?"

The young man looked confused. "But who is she? And she is a foreigner? Where would we have met her? What is her name?"

The woman opened to answer some of his rapid fire questioning but the older man raised one hand. "You cannot know any of this right now."

He waved one finger at Seung Hyun when he went to protest. "If we tell you any of it, the information you receive from us could change everything."

The older man looked fondly at the woman and placed one hand over hers. "It is enough for you to know that she is here in our life. This is what the older Seung Hyun told me and now I will tell it to you."

The younger man sat back in his chair and pouted. "Then what else am I supposed to do while I am here? Find out winning sweepstakes numbers? How does this help me find my wife back in my own time if I don't know anything about her?"

The older man glared at the younger. He also reached over and smacked him in the back of the head. The lady across from him giggled and said, "Don't beat yourself up about it."

The older man rolled his eyes and addressed the younger version of himself. "The point was to give you hope. The fortune teller gave me a gift when I was at my lowest personally.  I lamented the celeb hungry women who wanted to date me for the fame and the money. It was so difficult to tell who wanted me for who I was and not because I was a recognizable idol. I was also very lonely. The work had consumed my life to the point where I felt hollow and empty. The fortune teller's gift let me know there was something for me beyond the now. I had a future. I just had to work at it."

The young man considered the words carefully. "Yeah, but how did you know?"

Seung Hyun cringed as the elder made to smack him again. The man checked his blow and merely mimed it toward the back of his head. The older man flopped back into his chair and expelled a frustrated breath. "Look, you little bastard, I cannot tell you the details of my wife and how we got together. All I can tell you is to never pass up any opportunity to meet new people and to keep up with your reading."

The last part of his admonition caught Seung Hyun's attention. His countenance immediately brightened and he looked rather sly. "So she has something to do with books? Are you a publisher? Or an editor? Maybe you are an author?"

The woman's expression was slightly panicked as she looked to her husband for help.  The older man slammed his open palm on the table. "Ya! I told you we cannot tell you any of this and you had better not try and look it up." He glanced at a clock on the kitchen wall. "It is very early in the morning. We should all get some sleep. You and I have business tomorrow."

The young man looked to the woman. "Without my wife," the older man said, shaking his head. "You can sleep in the guest room. You remember where it is?"

The young man nodded as his older self grabbed the woman by the hand and tugged her toward the stairs. The woman kept trying to look back at Seung Hyun seated at the kitchen table.  She was trying to say something, but the man who had her by the hand was very determined to get her upstairs. She was finally able to stop him long enough to smile at Seung Hyun at the table and say, "It was nice meeting you when you were so young." she smiled, sweetly. "Know that I love you, always. Hey!  Oof"

The last part was said as Seung Hyun tugged her toward him and threw her over his shoulder. He grinned at the shocked young man at the table and proceeded with the laughing woman up the stairs. Seung Hyun sat at the table. He was stunned to see that the woman was wearing Wonder Woman underwear beneath her short robe. He grinned to himself. She was really something.