I Forgot the Day

One Day

The shrieking and throwing of objects continued as Seung Hyun tried to dodge the occasionally heavy projectiles and protect his head with his arms. He grunted as a particularly large candle holder nailed him in the side. Seung Hyun tried to explain that he lived there and that she was the one trespassing, but her shrieking and throwing arm did not rest long enough for him to get a word in edgewise. Just when he was about ready to tackle her and explain to her that he was calling the police, the door to the bathroom was thrown open and a hand grabbed his collar and forcefully pulled Seung Hyun out of the room.  The hand dragged him backwards all the way back downstairs and into the kitchen.  The person forcefully sat Seung Hyun in a chair at the table and then walked around to another chair and sat down.  Seung Hyun's eyes widened and his mouth seemed unable to form words as he looked at the other man.  "Y-y-y-ou." he stuttered.

The man sighed and ran a hand through his short black hair.  His familiar rueful smile appeared as he apologized to Seung Hyun. "I am sorry about that. I forgot what day it was. Our wife is not particularly going to like us very much after this."

Seung Hyun's shocked eyes took in the face that was slightly older than the one he saw in the mirror every day.  There were crinkles at the corners of his eyes and some gray in his midnight black hair, but the intense gaze was familiar. So was the scar at the corner of his eye.  Seung Hyun was awed to see an older version of himself smiling guiltily and drumming his hands on the table top.  "Y-y-y-ou" he kept stuttering.

The man sighed and nodded slowly. "I am you. Well, when you are forty. Today is our birthday." he explained. "The person in black at that party really did send you forward to your fortieth birthday. You'll be here for twenty-four hours exactly. Midnight to midnight."

Seung Hyun was still numb and could barely take in that the man in front of him was his future self.  They both looked toward the stairs as they heard someone clatter down the hallway.  The woman burst into the room wearing a short red cotton robe and black house slippers. Her hair was piled on top of her head.  Seung Hyun still did not recognize her, but she looked angry and a little fearful.  She stared at the other Seung Hyun and then back at the younger looking one.  Her expression was almost comical as she assessed their similar features and then she glared at the older man.  "Is this a love child you never told me about?" she asked, bluntly.

Shocked, both of the Seung Hyuns' mouths fell open.  Younger Seung Hyun spluttered right along with the older Seung Hyun. The woman brushed aside their obvious incredulity with a wave of one hand.  "Hmph. Nevermind, he has to be." she said, wrapping her robe tighter around herself and sitting down across from the younger Seung Hyun and smiled at him. "Let me guess, you just found out Seunghyun is your father and you wanted to meet him?"

The Seunghyuns were still spluttering.  She raised one perfectly formed eyebrow, staring at them blandly. "He is not!" old Seung Hyun burst out at the same time young Seung Hyun yelled "I am not!"

Older Seung Hyun cleared his throat and shot a meaningful glance at the younger man that amounted to "I'll handle this."

The older man turned to his wife and took her hand. "Sweetie, this may come as a bit of a shock, but this is actually the younger me. I always meant to tell you about that night when a mysterious person sent me forward to meet my wife and see what my life would be like when I was forty. I just forgot about it until tonight. I am sorry."

The woman narrowed her eyes and looked the older man in his eyes. She seemed to be judging something. Young Seung Hyun held his breath. Surely she would not believe such a farfetched tale. The woman suddenly smacked the older Seung Hyun upside his head. "Pabo! If you had told me I would not have been in the bath when he arrived." she shouted. "I could have welcomed him properly! Such an idiot I married!"

She smiled at the younger man and held her hand out to him. "It's is such a pleasure to meet my husband's younger self. I was always curious about him in his younger days."

Floored again, young Seung Hyun could only stare at the woman with his mouth open.